17 comments

Fantasy

I, Jordan Lavrof, am a convicted murderer. I don't know why I did it, or when I did it, or where I did it, or who I did it to, or any details about it at all. I didn't even know I did it in the first place! The only reason I know about it is a long, long story,

 

What? You want to know how it happened? I'd rather not tell you, you probably wouldn't even believe me, I don't even believe it myself! Ugh, fine. But, you've been warned. This is a long one, and is kind of confusing, it all starts with a timeskip.

 

Well, it was March 7, 2020. I just got home from school, but I didn’t feel like doing anything at the time, I was bullied that day, like any other day, but this time, my bully, the “coolest” and most popular kid at school, Dennis Smithson went a bit overboard on his insults. The details are a bit fuzzy, but I remember he said something vulgar about my late parents. I mean, nobody wants something said about their dead family right? So in all of my manliness, I...ran away crying. I know, not that good of an exit when the whole school is watching. Once I finally got home, I launched myself into my room and just waited for that hideous day to be over. When it seemed I was finally going to fall asleep, I jolted awake. Realizing I had to put my clock one hour for daylight savings, I really couldn’t care less though, I mean, I just want my days to be shorter, not the days to become longer, I embarrassed myself in front of the entire school, and Dennis couldn’t change himself overnight, so like...wouldn’t it be better for me to just disappear?

Well, when I woke up, I actually was gone…

 

In fact, I actually wasn’t even in my own timespace anymore! I was somehow in the future. I only can think of one explanation, I have no clue. I mean, when I woke up, something DID feel off. It felt like my body felt...bigger, did I finally hit puberty? When I brushed my face as I do every morning, I felt something weird..it felt kinda...bushy. It was a...BEARD? Me, 14 year-old Jordan Lavrof, who hasn’t developed body hair yet, grew a beard! I wasn’t quite sure if I was dreaming, until I realized I wasn’t even in the comforts of my one-bedroom apartment! I was in a...jail cell. “WHAT THE HECK?”, was my first response. Until I realized it, I did go forward in time. I woke up just in time for the person who I could only think was the warden yelled at me to get up, he said it was time for me to meet the journalist who is going to record me for some show about killers on death row, “What kind of scum kills a random person?”, he said. I was taken aback, what the heck could I have done? I literally just got into the future! What did I already do? Killed someone? I could not have done such a thing!

 

I have to take a break, I need to recollect about what I have just told you...I know this might be confusing. But, I could only guess this is 85% true. I mean honestly, how many times could this happen? This is only 2020, the closest we’ve been getting to time travelling is sitting in front of a ticking clock! Wait, what? It’s 2040? What!? I mean I know I time traveled to the future, but travelling twenty years seems like a stretch. Well, I guess it may be true. I’m not that sure of much nowadays, especially since I’m literally just finding out I supposedly killed someone, even though I’m a 14 year old teenager in a 34 year old man’s body!!

 

OK, I will continue. I warned you it would be long….

Well, I got up and asked my jail roomie, who’s name is apparently unpronounceable, about what I did. He looked at me strangely and then told me that I killed someone named Dennis Smithson. I was shocked, Dennis Smithson? Where have I heard that name before? Then it hit me, "OH MY GOD”, I exclaimed. This couldn’t be true, I hated the guy, but I never felt a murderous hatred towards him ever. It made me feel queasy and nauseous, ( I vomited 3 times before I got here) and was wondering,

 How did I do that??

 Why did I do that?

 I KILLED someone?

 Dennis?

Why?

 Why would I have killed him, he didn’t even say anything that bad to me on that day, 20 years ago, but still also one day ago!

  I learned for the very first time from my roommate that I killed him when I was 24, and have been on the run for 10 years. This was a shocker, I was never that much to hide a secret from my mom when she was alive, let alone law enforcement! The police finally caught up to me and I was sent to a cell currently awaiting my trial. Well, today was the day. I guess I’m on death row now. Honestly, if I could find a way to get back to my regular time, I could find a way to stop this. Wait, what? I can’t? Well, damn that makes things a whole lot worse! My sentencing is in 30 minutes! I watched those types of shows on tv all the time, they usually receive some really bad sentences! Ugh, so do you know how exactly I killed him? Yeah? Really?

 

Wait, I beat him to death? What the heck? Forgive me for asking but, may I ask how you know? What’s your name anyway?


Natalia SMITHSON?

 

Dang, you were his sister. Well, I’m sorry for your loss that I apparently caused. Wait, you must be smart, you are in journalism...you MUST know how to get me out of this time space. Wait, you do? REALLY? Aw, thanks...my trial is in 30 minutes, I could get out lickety split. 

 

Wait, why is the warden here. 

TELL ME QUICK, we’re about to leave!!


TELL ME!

TELL ME! 

No, NO WAIT, SHE IS ABOUT TO TELL ME HOW TO GET OUT, WAIT WAIT!!!

 

Jordan never got out of this timespace, instead he was given a life sentence. Natalia had no plans to tell him at all in the first place.



March 30, 2020 01:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Vrishni Maharaj
10:18 May 27, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Takora M.
23:00 May 31, 2020

Thank you! That means a lot!

Reply

Vrishni Maharaj
11:55 Jun 01, 2020

You’re welcome! I’d love if you can give some feedback on my work, if that’s okay? :)

Reply

Takora M.
01:17 Jun 03, 2020

Of course I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tyra Johnson
23:38 Apr 04, 2020

This is a good story.

Reply

Takora M.
23:39 Apr 04, 2020

Thanks! Your story I saw was also very good!

Reply

Tyra Johnson
23:41 Apr 04, 2020

We both did great😊.thanks<<

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeden Kniaz
20:27 Jan 07, 2021

One of the best stories ever! And I read, a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
O Maule
15:35 Apr 05, 2020

This story had a creative storyline and I think the use of internal monologue was helpful in determining the 'feel' the reader gets at certain points. Toward the end, however, an augment in the amount of dialogue used between the jail mate and Jordan made it sound a bit choppy and rushed. Despite that, thought the idea was clever:)

Reply

Takora M.
15:39 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you O Maule! I liked this constructive criticism and it will help me with my future works. As a 14 year old aspiring author, I always look for something to make me better. FOr the ending also I wanted it to end abruptly and see if Natalia made the correct choice. Thank you for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ndekwoh Ojen
13:02 Apr 05, 2020

Wonderful story.

Reply

Takora M.
15:32 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you Ndekwoh! That means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Smith
06:31 Apr 05, 2020

this was brilliant! we seemed to take similar-ish percpectives on the writing propmt and it was fasinating to see where you went with your idea! very suspenceful and very well written! best of luck :D

Reply

Takora M.
15:32 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you! I will go read your story too! Best of luck Tessa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kharl Reynado
22:46 Apr 04, 2020

I like your story! I got to the end really wanting to know why Jordan killed Dennis. I like how the whole short is just his own dialogue -- frantic, confused, disbelieving. I would have also liked to get more of who Natalia is. I thought it ended a bit abruptly and left more questions for the reader. But overall, it was a fun read!

Reply

Takora M.
22:52 Apr 04, 2020

Thank you! As a 14 year old aspiring author I loved hearing your constructive criticism! For the ending, I actually wanted it to be that was and let the reader decide if Natalia made the correct choice, but thank you for your comment Kharl!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Takora M.
17:29 Apr 04, 2020

If anyone is wondering, the author I got inspiration from for this story is young adult novelist, Rafael Simon, better known as Pseudonymous Bosch. He writes somewhat like this where he writes secretively about an event that no one owuld believe. He;'s a great writer!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.