75 comments

Drama Fiction Christian

By the time I step outside, the leaves are on fire. Panting, I run straight past the pile of leaves that had, only moments before, been a symbol of fall and new beginnings.  

I run straight past the hot dog cart that has been there ever since I can remember. My mom used to bring me here as a kid. We were happy then- but that was before. Now, in place of the friendly older man who promises a smile with every sale, there is a monster with his sharp teeth bared and claws poised to attack. 

Where are you going? I’m here to help you! I’m the ONLY one who wants to help you! The only one who cares! 

Before long I hit town square, milling with people like ants at a picnic. They smile. They laugh. They lick their dripping ice cream cones. They have no idea the world around them is ending as they know it. 

Run. No one wants you here. You mess everything up. The world would be better without you in it.  

Making a sharp turn to avoid the dragon in the middle of the road, I run straight into a girl my age walking with her bicycle. “Whoa! What’s the rush?” With teasing eyes, she opens her mouth to perhaps strike up a conversation. Maybe she is going to ask me my name, or who I am running from, or why my eyes are filled with panic. I’ll never know, though, because before she has time to make any attempts at conversation, her neck sprouts three additional heads with cruel eyes and snakes for hair. In a gasp, I leave her behind in a cloud of dust. 

Run, Zach! They’re coming! You have to get away before they catch you! 

 I remember when I used to have normal conversations. 

They’re all staring at you. They think you are strange. A freak. Crazy. Insane. 

I remember when my big sister and I used to ride our bikes to the diner near our house, and I used to eat smiley face pancakes and play tic-tac-toe with crayons on the back of our paper placemats.  

Don’t run from us Zach! We’re your friends! We love you! We are the ONLY ONES WHO UNDERSTAND. 

I remember when my dad used to take me camping. We would stay up late and roast marshmallows. We would catch fireflies and eat hot dogs until our stomachs hurt. He would let me drink all the soft drinks I wanted and instruct me not to tell my mother. He would tell me stories about when he was a boy, and we would laugh until our sides ached

No one loves you. 

No one LOVES YOU. 

NO ONE LOVES YOU. 

I remember going to the county fair with my cousins. Playing all the games. Having races. Eating cotton candy and drinking root beer.  

What are you doing? Do you think you can RUN FROM ME?  YOU CAN’T ESCAPE ME ZACH. I’m ALL you have. NO ONE ELSE wants you here. You should be THANKFUL I'm here for you.  

I remember when my life was normal. 

You are NOTHING without me! 

When I didn’t hear voices. 

Freak. Crazy. Insane. 

When I didn’t see things. 

Psycho. Loser. Weirdo. 

Still running, I bypass a family of lions in the road, instead running towards the creek up ahead of me.  

Freak. Crazy. Insane. 

Sweat pouring down my back, tears streaming down my face, I run as if my life depends on it. Because it does. 

Psycho. Loser. Weirdo. 

I come to a screeching halt when I get to the edge of the river.  

FReAk. CRAzy. iNsANe. 

I peer down into the depths of the dark blue abyss, seeing my disheveled appearance in the surface. 

PsYchO. lOSer. wEIRdo. 

I imagine myself being held by the loving, soothing arms of the water. 

Psycho. Freak.  

I imagine my eyes closing

Loser. Crazy. 

Everything around me going quiet. Going still. 

Weirdo. Insane. 

Leaving it all behind. 

Jump. 

Letting. 

JuMp. 

It. 

JUMP. 

All. 

JUMP!!! 

Go. 

"ZACH!” 

I turn from my position in front of the river, still poised to dive into the bottomless pit. 

“Zach, honey, come here! Get away from there! Come here, baby!” 

My mother stands before me, out of breath, hair in a tangled mess, tears streaming down her face like rushing waterfalls.  

My tears are coming in earnest now. 

Don’t listen to her. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I am the ONLY ONE WHO UNDERSTANDS. 

“What’s that mean voice telling you to do, baby? Tell me.” 

I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts- everything is running together- 

Do it.  

Do it.  

DO IT. 

“You don’t have to do this, Zach! Come here! I can help you! We can get through this together!” 

JUMP! 

“Don’t jump!” 

Freak! Psycho! CRAZY! 

“I love you! We can do this together!” 

NO ONE LOVES YOU!  

“You don’t have to do this- you have so much to live for!” 

END 

IT  

ALL 

RIGHT  

NOW!!! 

Crying, I run towards my mother, wrapping my arms around her and crying my heart out. 

“I’m so scared, Mama. I’m so scared!” I cry. 

NO!!! LISTEN TO ME!!  

She rocks me back and forth in her arms, keeping me safe. 

You are NOTHING without me!!! 

The earth is spinning, and dragons are swarming, and fires are roaring, and monsters are screaming, and the earth is opening up beneath us and- 

Swallowing 

Me  

Whole

“Listen to me, Zach.” She grabs my face with her hands and looks me in the eyes. 

“I know you’re scared.” 

You should be scared. 

“I know that there is a lot going on in your head right now that I can’t even begin to understand. “ 

She will NEVER understand. 

“But I know someone who does.” 

NO ONE understands! 

“Will you pray with me?” 

No, no, no! 

I nod.

“Okay, pray. We are gonna pray right now.” 

NO!!!!!!!!!! 

“Lord God, I need your help Father. Touch my baby. Touch my baby, Father!” She sobs. 

NO!!!!!!!! 

“Heal his heart, Lord, heal his mind, touch his life, God.” 

No!!! 

“Wrap your loving arms around him, Father and show him your peace. Your love. Your faithfulness.” 

No! 

“I cast out any trace of Satan in my baby’s life in the name of Jesus Christ!” 

As my mother prays and rocks me back and forth,  

All the voices- 

All the monsters- 

All the demons- 

Gradually 

Fade 

Away

I remember when I used to have schizophrenia.

October 17, 2020 01:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

75 comments

19:08 Feb 15, 2021

Great story!

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
14:59 Feb 18, 2021

Thanks, that means a lot! :)

Reply

Avnee Writes
16:34 Feb 22, 2021

You deserve it!!!

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
13:44 Feb 25, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:02 Nov 13, 2020

Yo! Saw you took my quiz--dropped by to say that I really appreciated your Hamilton joke. XD

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
20:12 Nov 13, 2020

Lol, thanks! I listen to Hamilton "nonstop." ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:48 Oct 29, 2020

I think that ya did a good job with this story and that it was also really great ^^ I'm gonna go and give this story a 10/10 :)

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
12:54 Oct 30, 2020

Thanks so much!!! I'm a big fan of your stories as well!! :)

Reply

B. W.
15:36 Oct 30, 2020

no prob ^^

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
13:57 Mar 08, 2021

What's up, B.W! I come to this comment thread bearing the link to my reading/writing quiz! If you have time, I would love it if you took it, and spread the link around a little! Thanks! :)

Reply

B. W.
15:27 Mar 08, 2021

Huh? I guess Ill go do it soon, though how have you been?

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:45 Mar 08, 2021

Sorry, I may have worded that weird lol. I was just meaning that I made a reading/writing quiz on google docs, and I thought you might like to take it :) You know, like the little quizzes everyone has been doing and putting in their bios? I have been doing alright- pretty stressed out, honestly. I have to make some really big decisions about college here soon and I'm kind of stressing. What about you? How are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Enoch
16:36 Oct 28, 2020

Cool story. Your style is sort of poetic and I like it.

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
17:41 Oct 28, 2020

Thanks! I have a bit of a stream-of-consciousness style that I am trying to develop. Thanks for the input!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shaine Fayn
23:59 Oct 21, 2020

I loveee how you build tension at the beginning on the story and the imagery you use. Really good job!

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:32 Oct 27, 2020

Thank you so much!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Willow Jackson
05:19 Oct 20, 2020

wow this story is amazing and so impactful and how you were able to show that God can heal even the worst diseases and use it for his good. I think you captured what was going on inside Zach's head perfectly it was in away disturbing as well as confronting knowing that he was able to overcome it with the help of God. This was such a smart way to use this prompt! I hope I can read more of your work

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:58 Oct 20, 2020

Wow, thank you so much for all the kind words, they really mean a lot!!!! I actually have one more story on this site, called "I Shouldn't Be Here." It is similar to this one, yet still drastically different... yeah, you would just have to read it for yourself to understand XD Again, thanks so much!!!

Reply

Willow Jackson
19:50 Oct 20, 2020

Of course! And I'll be sure to check out your other story keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
22:18 Oct 19, 2020

Well written. I enjoyed it on multiple levels. The way you did the voices was impactful and disturbing in the way that mental illness can be. I like how your faith shows through in the ending of the story, and how the mothers’ love and faith helps overcome the mental illness. Will read your other entry later today. Maybe you could check out my story “Can you keep a secret?” The protagonist hears a Voice, but it doesn’t end as well as your story.

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:55 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much!!! This one was really close to my heart. Of course I'll give it a read! Can't wait! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cola Cherry
04:09 Aug 27, 2021

this was so strong and real it felt like I was there watching😭😭 you really captured zach's pain and confusion just as well as you brought in God's mercy😭 the part where they pray especially made me wanna cry. is it a true story?? thank you for this, we need more stories that glorifies Him❤

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
15:36 Aug 30, 2021

Hi again, Cola! Thank you so much for the sweet words! No, this is not a true story. I am studying psychology and I am really interested in Schizophrenics, and it reflects in my writing. Anyway, thanks so much again! I'm so happy it touched you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:00 Mar 09, 2021

Wonderful story, Kaylee! You described the setting so well, and from the character's perspective too, what he was feeling and seeing, it's amazing! Despite having short paragraphs, you somehow reached the thousand-word limit and the whole story just passed by I didn't even notice, it was immersing and I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, you're a great author! :) It's a great take on the prompt and the whole thing was planned so well, it's great! :)) The ending and the suspense leading to that was alsdflajsdflkj, bootiful~ This is amazin...

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
20:24 Mar 09, 2021

Wow, thanks SO MUCH for all the kind, encouraging words! I am SO happy that it kept you interested the entire time, that is one of my biggest fears as a writer. I want people to stay interested! Anyway, thanks so much for giving it a read, it really means a lot!!! :)

Reply

02:14 Mar 10, 2021

No problem! You kept me (among lots of others) preeeetty interested throughout the whole story, I'd say that's a job well done. Amazing work, Kaylee! :))

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
14:43 Mar 10, 2021

Aww, you're making me blush lol! Anyway, thanks again!!! :D

Reply

00:50 Mar 11, 2021

No problem! :D

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
12:59 Mar 11, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Reynolds
22:07 Nov 11, 2020

Hi there, Kaylee! First, I would like to say good job with being compassionate and understanding through the mother--she wants to understand the child's world and for the child to invite her into it. She is not being judgmental, screaming, or getting frustrated in an angry way. With the dragon, it first sounds like he is behind the hot dog stand, then he is out in the middle of the road kind of abruptly, so maybe if you could do some kind of transitioning or adjustment there. Opinions from second reading: I love how you put the th...

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
14:06 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks so much for the review and all the kind words!! They are much appreciated :) Yes, I see what you mean about my use of the word "creek." Makes total sense- thanks for catching it!! I also see what you mean about cutting out the word "instead." As for the dragon, I can see how that could be confusing! However, behind the hot dog stand there is a "monster with his sharp teeth bared and claws poised to attack," while there is a dragon in the road. I understand how that can be confusing though! Now, for stream of consciousness- I LOVE ...

Reply

Hope Reynolds
16:09 Nov 16, 2020

Oh!!! Gotcha with the dragon vs. monster. No problem! Good advice, thank you!

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
21:18 Nov 16, 2020

No problem!!! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
17:28 Jun 15, 2023

Wow. So you think that's what it's like? Schizophrenia, I mean. I have no idea, but it's just come alive for me. I wish science had a cure for it, because what about all the people who don't believe in God? What are they going to do? So if I understand this right, the voice in her head is.. the devil? So when she prayed it went away. Love it. Can't say it enough. Love it. Love it love it love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Kaylee! Such a captivating story this is. Held me in place until the end:D Great work on this, I can see you put a lot of effort! -Varsha

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
13:22 Jan 29, 2021

Thank you so much, Varsha! So kind! It makes me sooo happy to know that it kept you interested until the very end... that has always been a fear of mine, that people would get bored with it in the middle and not finish it. I always appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
13:25 Jan 29, 2021

I'm sorry, my computer tends to spaz out sometimes lol and it sometimes just sends my comments like a thousand times.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Of course Kaylee! No, it was really good:D No problem:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
13:50 Oct 19, 2020

Excellent work. This is a beautiful example of a story--and I really mean that. The backstory perfectly balances with the reality of the story, and the demonic world constructed inside Zach's head. Essentially, what you've done here is create three fully fleshed out worlds in just over 1,000 words--which is quite a feat. The message is powerful, and not preachy. You beautifully avoided deus ex machina, which is a common flaw in stories about spiritual warfare. The intensity is strong, and tension held easily. Really, the only flaw I...

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
20:32 Oct 19, 2020

Wow, thank you so much for the kind words! They were really encouraging! As for my opening paragraphs, I totally see what you mean! I didn't catch it while writing it because I, clearly, understood what was happening, so it is hard to see where others may not understand. I will definitely work on it in the future! Yes, I would love your input on any of my future stories, so I will definitely reach out to you through comments. I can do the same for you if you ever need a fresh set of eyes! As for the mention of you in my bio, no problem, y...

Reply

21:05 Oct 19, 2020

Yeah, many writers tend to overlook things like that, which is why it's useful to have other readers funneling input. ;) Are you gonna work on anything for this week's prompts?

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
00:25 Oct 20, 2020

Well, I definitely appreciate the feedback! I'm not really sure about this week yet. This is gonna be a REALLY busy week for me, so I may have to wait until next week. I may be able to, though! Are you?

Reply

00:38 Oct 20, 2020

Yeah, I'm working on a story for the boarding school prompt. ;)

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:53 Oct 20, 2020

Great!! I can't wait to read it!! XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.