32 comments

Drama


ACT I


SCENE I: A GRAVEYARD AT NIGHT


(The scene opens with a full moon hanging high in the sky, casting an eerie glow over the weathered gravestones. The gravestones, covered in moss and ivy, stand like silent sentinels at night. Shadows dance across the ground as the moonlight filters through the gnarled branches of ancient trees. A chilling wind whispers through the trees, rustling leaves and creating an atmosphere of melancholy and foreboding. The air is thick with damp earth and decaying leaves.)


(Enter HAMLET, a young man with a troubled expression dressed in workman's clothes. He carries a spade over his shoulder, the metal glinting faintly in the moonlight. As he walks through the graveyard, his footsteps are soft, almost hesitant. The soft crunch of gravel underfoot is the only sound, aside from the occasional hoot of an owl in the distance.)


(Hamlet pauses momentarily, looking around at the gravestones as if lost in thought. He takes a deep breath, the cold air visible as he exhales, and then begins to hum softly to himself, a melancholy tune that echoes through the stillness. He finds a spot and starts to dig, the sound of the spade piercing the earth resonating through the night.)


(The scene is silent except for Hamlet's humming and the rhythmic sound of digging. The moonlight creates long, eerie shadows that seem to move with a life of their own. The wind continues to whisper through the trees, carrying the faint sound of distant memories and forgotten voices.)


(The atmosphere is one of solitude and reflection as Hamlet immerses himself in his task, the weight of his thoughts heavy upon him.)


HAMLET

(to himself)

Oh, what a life, to toil in silence here,

Where shadows play, and whispers fill the night.

The dead, my silent comrades, rest in peace,

While I, their humble keeper, guard their sleep.

Yet rumors swirl of theft and desecration,

And I, unjustly eyed with suspicion's gaze.


(HAMLET pauses, wiping sweat from his brow. He gazes at a nearby gravestone, sighing deeply. The gravestone is old and weathered, its inscription barely legible. Hamlet's eyes soften as he reads the faint words and a silent connection forms between him and the soul it memorializes.)


HAMLET

Dear spirits, forgive the living's haste,

For justice oft is blind and quick to blame.

Tonight, I work to keep your rest serene.


(He kneels beside the gravestone, resting his hand gently on the cold stone. The wind picks up, rustling the leaves and creating an almost musical sound. Hamlet closes his eyes momentarily as if seeking solace from the spirits he tends to. The moonlight casts a gentle glow on his face, highlighting the lines of worry and fatigue.)


HAMLET

(softly)

Beneath this earth, where quietude prevails,

Lie tales of yore, of love, and loss, and strife.

I am the guardian of your eternal rest,

Though mortal woes beset my fleeting life.

If only those who cast their doubt on me,

I could feel the peace that I see here daily.


(Enter two POLICE OFFICERS, their lanterns flickering in the dark. They move cautiously, whispering to each other.)


FIRST OFFICER

(whispering)

Behold, a figure looms amidst the graves.

Is this the knave we seek, the thief of nights?


SECOND OFFICER

(whispering)

Let us approach with care and seize him swiftly,

Ere, he escapes into the shrouded dark.


(The OFFICERS advance towards HAMLET, who continues to dig, oblivious to their presence.)


FIRST OFFICER

(aloud)

Halt there, you knave, and drop that spade at once!

By order of the law, you are under arrest.


(HAMLET, startled, drops the spade and raises his hands.)


HAMLET

Good sirs, what folly leads you here this night?

I am but Hamlet, guardian of these grounds.


SECOND OFFICER

Mock us not with lies, foul grave-robbing fiend.

We have thee now, no escape for thee.


HAMLET

(pleading)

Mistakes are not my intent, for I am true.

The grave robber you seek is not me.


FIRST OFFICER

Enough of this deceit, to the station now.

Thy guilt shall be determined by the judge.


(The OFFICERS seize HAMLET and begin to lead him away. HAMLET looks back at the graves.)


HAMLET

(aside)

Oh, it is a cruel fate to suffer such a charge.

My duty here is pure yet misunderstood.

The dead, my silent witnesses, speak not,

And I condemned; I must face this grievous lot.


(The OFFICERS lead HAMLET offstage. The moon remains, casting its cold light over the silent graves.)


**


ACT II


SCENE I: A POLICE STATION


(A dimly lit room with a single table and chairs. HAMLET sits in one, his hands cuffed. The OFFICERS stand nearby, discussing in hushed tones.)


FIRST OFFICER

We have him now, the culprit we pursued.

The judge will see his guilt, and the case will be clear.


SECOND OFFICER

Yet something nags at me; a doubt persists.

His words were honest, and his eyes sincere.


FIRST OFFICER

A clever thief can weave a tale most fine.

But we shall see when the judge reviews the case.


(Enter the JUDGE, an elderly man with a stern expression. He takes his seat at the table.)


JUDGE

What have we here, a prisoner accused?

Speak now and tell the truth of your misdeeds.


HAMLET

Honored judge, I swear upon my soul,

I am no thief but the keeper of the dead.

My name is Hamlet, worker of these graves,

Mislabeled by these men in unjust haste.


JUDGE

(officers)

What proof do you have to back this bold claim?


FIRST OFFICER

We found him in the act, amidst the tombs,

With spade in hand, as if to dig anew.


HAMLET

Yet digging is my task, assigned by day,

To tend the graves and keep the grounds in check.

I plead for mercy, search your hearts for truth,

For I am innocent of wrongful acts.


(The JUDGE pauses, considering HAMLET's words. The OFFICERS exchange uncertain glances.)


JUDGE

Your claim does hold some weight; I'll not deny it.

Yet proof is needed, more than words alone.

Summon the keeper of the graveyard here,

To testify and clear this man's good name.


(One of the OFFICERS exits to fetch the KEEPER. Moments later, the KEEPER, a grizzled old man, enters.)


KEEPER

(angrily)

What is this ruckus? Who disturbs my peace?


SECOND OFFICER

This man, accused of grave robbing, we caught.

He claims to work for you; is this the truth?


KEEPER

(looking at HAMLET)

Aye, 'tis true. This lad is Hamlet, the loyal hand.

He tends the graves and honors all the dead.

Never has he shown a thieving heart,

But works with honest care and solemn duty.


JUDGE

(to officers)

Release him then, for innocence is proved.

A man misjudged, yet now his name is restored.


(The OFFICERS uncuff HAMLET. He stands, rubbing his wrists, and nods gratefully to the KEEPER and JUDGE.)


HAMLET

My thanks, kind judge, and you, my keeper old.

For truth prevails, and justice now is served.


JUDGE

Go forth, young Hamlet, tend your sacred task.

May your nights be free from such alarms.


(HAMLET exits with the KEEPER, the moonlight once more casting its gentle glow over the scene.)


CURTAIN

June 29, 2024 08:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

11:28 Jul 07, 2024

I loved the way you did this. I found it's not as easy as you think. To script it all. Well done. However, I personally found it even more difficult to enter this time. (Payment wouldn't go through) Anyway, I am enjoying reading everyone's diverse dramatic efforts.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
12:35 Jul 07, 2024

First I wrote the simple story of mistaken identity ( something that Shakespeare did often), then I spent hours trying to rewrite it in Shakespeare way. Hard, very hard. Thanks, Kaitlyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
16:11 Jul 06, 2024

True talent !

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:50 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
15:51 Jul 06, 2024

I thought that this was an excellent interpretation of the prompt masterfully handled. It can't have been easy to keep that blank verse going throughout. It is obviously a fun send up but, in my book, should have been more overtly so - it certainly warrants it.a good contender for the competition I would have thought.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:49 Jul 06, 2024

I wanted to follow the prompt quite literally. Took me hours to write it in Shakespeare way. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
15:19 Jul 06, 2024

Very well done with the dialogue !

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
17:50 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
20:00 Jul 02, 2024

Darvico, another great job! The story was straightforward, but the way you captured Shakespeare’s style in the dialog made it a great read (and fun). Your talent shines through. I enjoy reading all your short stories!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
20:35 Jul 02, 2024

That's kind of you to say, thanks. It took a lot of effort (not mentioning reading few Shakespeare's books) to write it in this way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:27 Jun 30, 2024

Great recreation. What part is creative nonfiction?

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:41 Jun 30, 2024

Actually I didn't notice that I marked that genre. Must be accidental. Thanks for noticing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:06 Jun 30, 2024

NP

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:03 Jun 29, 2024

You did a really good job with this. Well done!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:05 Jun 29, 2024

I give it a shot. Took me while to wrote it. Idea was there but write it in a form as Shakespeare, that was a challenge.

Reply

22:11 Jun 29, 2024

I can only imagine! I would not even try :)

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:19 Jun 29, 2024

I tell you, I wouldn't dare to write it again. Not at least for some time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
18:12 Jun 29, 2024

Excellent story of another Hamlet! Clever concept that inspires us to think about mistaken appearances and hurried, false assumptions of guilt. Very Shakespeare in style. Imagery and stage settings for scenes written so well I could easily picture them. The dialogue is written extremely well too. Great job!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:16 Jun 29, 2024

I work hard to write in the way Shakespeare would. Took me a lot of time to taking notes from his books and then rewrite it all like this. I think I did a good job.

Reply

Kristi Gott
18:53 Jun 29, 2024

Yes, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carolyn O'B
01:24 Jul 12, 2024

Nice job setting the scenes. Great job with the wording; Shakespearean but understandable.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
06:26 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you. I put a lot of effort into it 💪.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
21:12 Jul 10, 2024

This was very well done. I know this format is extremely hard to write, but you made it look easy! I loved it!!!! :)

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:11 Jul 10, 2024

Thank you. I apriciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:54 Jul 10, 2024

Excellent work! Shakespeare rings through in every line.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
16:01 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
09:01 Jul 10, 2024

Wow this is quite a feat! Well done, great job.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
10:24 Jul 10, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milly Orie
14:40 Jul 09, 2024

I must confess I’m not well versed in Shakespeare-I thought the dialogue was actually his! 😅 I’m also not familiar with Hamlet (I kind of missed out on this contest, I know, haha.) But the story was great! Well done!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
15:13 Jul 09, 2024

I beat myself over this prompt just to prove myself I can do it. Not much interest left to do it again. It was hard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
12:53 Jul 07, 2024

Exceptionally well written and crafted. Thank you for taking the time to study, write and edit in Shakespeare's style which you captured and managed to make it look effortless and natural. Amazing, and the whole magic of writing and stage, you have this Art. Beautifully done! Bravo!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
13:12 Jul 07, 2024

Wow, thank you. I did my best (at the moment).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.