7 comments

Adventure

Edith thought of it often. It found her in her dreams at night. The Ring of Realms, an object to guide people to portals into other worlds. It occupied her mind every day, relentlessly. It was all she thought about, and all she ventured for. 

She first heard about the Ring of Realms from the witch on the harbor, before she was executed. She didn’t intend to talk to the so-called witch, but she had anyways. 

The witch stood murmuring on the harbor, standing on the cobble road. She was the most peculiar sight, long tangled hair, and ragged clothes. She held some sort of stick and another object in her hand. Unfortunately for Edith, the unpleasant woman was blocking her path to her ship. Edith really did have to run, if the townspeople caught whiff of who she really was, then she’d be a goner. 

No time for pleasantries, Edith pushed passed the strange woman, before she let out a cry.

“Wait!” 

Against her instincts, Edith turned around to the old woman. She rarely listened to anyone, so why was she doing so now? 

“I know something you want,” the witch said, pointed a long, gnarled finger at Edith while stepping uncomfortably close to her. Edith instinctively put a hand to the concealed gun on her hip and the dagger on the other side. She left her mighty sword in her boat, which she regretted that instant. She did so to not draw attention to herself. She concealed herself well with her hat and a breezy shirt and vest, and fraying pants. No one would know she was a woman dressed in a man’s clothing. However, someone may recognize her as a pirate. 

“I know what you seek. What you desire. It’s not gold or riches.” She was too close to her now, so she backed away, but still intrigued by what the woman had to say. 

“What you seek, lies beneath. A single stone, to rule the throne. A ring carved with three, can be found across the sea. The Ring of Realms will guide one to one’s greatest fantasies.” The woman with wild eyes and rotten teeth had her attention now. Edith had to know more. She was running out of time, but she needed to know. 

“Search for the crow east of the Malieg. There you will find what you have been searching for, hidden behind the fall of crystals.” Edith stepped closer to her now, desperate for more information. But, how could she trust her? She was only a mad woman, after all. East of the island of Malieg...

The woman opened her palm, revealing the object she had been clutching the entire time. She held it out to Edith, tempting her to take it. 

It was a map. The map instantly expanded when Edith touched it: A crumpled, parchment map with few geographical locations drawn and a few scrawled words. Edith snatched the map, and took a look. She’d take anything to lead her to something, even if it was from a witch. Especially a witch. But, as soon as she held it in her hands, the map shifted and changed. This time, Edith actually let out a gasp. She’d seen true magic before, but she encountered it infrequently. To meet a true witch was a real unique opportunity. 

The map now changed to a single sentence inscribed in gold cursive lettering. 

It read:

North. 

The witch whispered once more. “Go.”

Edith backed away as she saw the town's soldiers running to the witch. She hurriedly untied the rope connecting her small ship, and leapt inside just in time to see the soldiers carry the witch off to be executed. The witch screamed like a banshee, distracting the soldiers from the much greater problem. The pirate. She set her boat to sail and took off before they could realize. 

“Hey!” one of the soldiers cried. But, she was already far away. The soldier took out his rifle and aimed at Edith, and barely missed. She dodged the bullets frantically, until the shooting ceased. A close call. Now, she had the map, a clue, and her life.

She was off to find some treasure.

There was not a cloud in sight, and the sun beat down on Edith. The water glimmered and sparkled, tantalizing Edith to jump into the depths of the ocean.

Edith started to grow agitated. She had been on this boat for three days, sailing north with only the guidance of the stars at night and her compass, and the map continued to say the same thing.

North.

Please, say something different, anything, she willed. No such luck. Cursing, she laid flat on her back and used her hat to cover her face from the blinding sun. Her provisions were running low, she needed to make a stop soon. Somewhere secluded that was used to frequent pirates, nothing like the island she had visited before. But, it would put her behind schedule. What if someone else found the Ring of Realms first? But what scared her even more, was the thought there may be nothing there at all. The witch could have been lying. But, she was truly a witch, even if a bit mad. But, why would the witch ever help her? Edith did not know. 

After a few minutes of agony, she sat back up and navigated once again. 

A few hours lanter, she could see land. An island. A thrill ran up her, the witch had been right. After heading directly north all this time, she encountered the island. Glancing at the map, she realized it had shifted once again. No longer the word “North” plagued the map, instead a single drawing of a crow materialized on the paper. The crow. The witch. The crow. Crow, crow, crow, crow. She said it over and over inside her head as she docked to the island. 

It was later at night, and low-lit lanterns illuminated the few discernable buildings ahead. She docked her boat hopefully out of view, and then searched for clues. 

It was a town full of laughing women, and boisterous men. An island of liquor and gamblings, for those little to lose. 

Snatching a lantern, she held it up close, hoping to find a sign. She steered clear of the people, many of them pirates as well and drunk as could be. She didn’t know where to look, and it was dangerous to ask, so she kept searching. And then, she came upon a tavern with a crow on the sign. The Crow Tavern! What a stupid name for a tavern...Nevertheless, she headed inside with exitement.

The Crow Tavern reeked of fish, and drunk men sang cacophonic tunes. She ducked her head and pulled her hat down more over her eyes. It was dangerous to be in such a place, especially as a woman. 

Edith pulled out the map once more, and it still only showed the crow. But now, the crow was flying, and had a ring in its beak. Another clue. 

Edith listened around the alehouse, searching for clues. She knew who to steer clear from. She looked for signs of the crow with the ring. 

“...Do you know anything about this?” a man’s voice asked. Edith turned around, to see he was talking to another man with a long white beard. The young man who had been talking stretched out his wrist and pulled up his sleeves, revealing a tattoo. The crow with a ring in its beak. 

Edith stumbled backward, shocked to have encountered someone with the same knowledge as her. 

“What is it?” The man with a white beard and a beer in his hand slurred. 

“Have you heard of...the Ring of Realms?” the man with the tattoo and dark hair asked. 

“Hah! Ain’t nothing but a stupid old wives tale, terrible tattoo if you ask me,” the older man responded. Edith backed into the corner now, hidden from the glow of lanterns. She would have to confront him later, in a non conspicuous way. The young man stood up from his chair, and walked over to the bar, as Edith watched him hawk-eyed. 

Edith carefully slid into the bar stool next to him, not meeting his gaze. As he demanded a drink, she looked over to a pot-bellied man next to her on the other side. He was half asleep, and she noticed something shiny in his jacket pocket. Swiftly, she made a grab for the bag in his pocket, and took a quick peek. Gold coins. She jammed it deep into her own pocket, and a minute later, the man fell asleep, unconscious.

She turned back to the mysterious man, and he busied himself with his drink. When the bartender left, she opened up the map on the counter, and slid it over to the man.

Deeping her voice, “What can you tell me about this,” she asked. His brown eyes widened, and he turned to look at her. She ducked her head, hiding her face. He grabbed the map with both hands, to take a closer look. Edith slapped the map down out of his hands, back down to the wood. She couldn’t risk him ruining her precious, sacred map. 

Narrowing his eyes, “What can you tell me,” he asked.

“As much as you are willing to tell me.” 

The man sighed, and then started. “I first learned about the Ring of Realms from my father. He told me his story, the myth that the gods above gifted a special blacksmith with a spectacular power with creating magical objects, as a gift for his honorable deeds. The blacksmith created many magical tools to honor the gods. But then, the blacksmith became greedy. He wanted to become as godly as possible with his newly bestowed powers, so he created a ring to let him enter into the realm of gods, and other worlds. The gods grew very angry, so they killed him, and tried to destroy the ring. But they could not find it, for the blacksmith hid the ring before he was executed. No one knows where the ring is to this day, so it has been deemed as a silly myth. I thought so too, until I encountered this witch. She gave me this tattoo somehow, and it changes every time I realize a clue, and get closer to the treasure.” He pulled back his sleeve once more, to look at the lifeless tattoo. “Now you’re turn.” He told her much more than she expected.

“I...encountered a witch as well. She gave me this map, and it does the same as your tattoo.” Edith left out the rest, though the man expected more. She considered her next words carefully, “Do you know… what is east of this island?” She needed to head east, as the witch said. 

The man’s jaw dropped, realizing what she meant. “East of Malieg? A bunch of headhunters, that’s for sure. About a four day journey from here. I’ve heard of people that set to voyage there. They never made it back. Is that where the ring is? Is that where you are going?” 

Edith stood up from her stool, adjusted her hat, and headed for the door. She knew enough already, and the man knew too much. 

“Wait! I didn’t catch your name.”

“I didn’t give it,” Edith smirked, and then walked into the night.

Edith really needed provisions before a four day journey. But, there were no markets or tents open for selling food. Just then, a covered cart rolled past her, headed towards the tavern. Food! She disputed with the cart owner, and she bought pickled meat, biscuits, a few vegetables, and a loaf of bread. Just enough for a four day journey. She had a store of water on board, so she needn’t worry about that. 

Arms full, she ran back to her boat. She needed to set sail now. No time to waste.

She stopped at the sight of the man who she talked with earlier. He was standing on her ship, attempting to set sail.

“You bastard!” She dropped the food and pulled out her pistol, aiming straight for him. She only had a bullet left, but he didn’t know that. He had no apparent weapons on him. But, the sword was still on the ship. She left it to draw less attention. No worries, she had the pistol and dagger. He had the ship.

“Don't shoot.” 

“If you leave, I will shoot you. And I never miss my target.” 

He threw his hands up into the air, surrendering. “I think you would rather keep me alive. I know something you don’t. Keep me on board, you will find the ring faster.”

She cocked her head, laughing. “And why would I do that?” she laughed.

He pulled something out of his pocket, “Because,” he stretched it out, facing it towards her. The map. That bastard stole the map. Everything that would lead her to the treasure, on that map.

“You scoundrel! How the hell did you manage to grab it?” 

Now he was the one smirking. “I have my ways.” And she thought she was the clever pickpocket! The nerve of him! But she knew what she had to do. 

She let her extended arm drop to her side, and tucked the pistol into her belt.

“Fine. You stay on board, as my crew, and you give me the map. I won’t kill you now, and I board my ship. But if I catch whiff of anything…” she made a throat slice motion with her hand. 

He nodded. “On one condition. You empty your pistol of bullets.”

Her fury bubbled to the surface. The nerve of him! But if she didn’t comply, her ship would be gone.

She stomped in frustration and then boarded the ship, grabbing the food. “Fine.” She emptied the two bullets into his hand, wary and untrusting. He seemed shocked to see so few bullets.

Then, they set sail.

“How did you know this was my ship?” she asked.

“Only a woman would have such a small boat and no crew. You really need to work on perfecting your act.” She choked on his response.

“It is not a boat! It is only a small ship. And anyways, you’re my crew now.” 

He huffed, and they continued their course.

“I guess I have to ask you now, what to call you?” Edith asked.

“Thomas. And you, milady?” he asked mockingly.

“Edith.”

Two days passed, and Edith and Thomas grew tired of each other. They disputed much, and discussed their plans. Much food had vanished, and their stomachs started to feel the effects.

“We’re running low on food,” Thomas said.

“Well, maybe if you hadn’t demanded to come on board, neither of us would be hungry. I only gathered enough food for a four day journey for one person. So, don’t you dare complain,” she remarked, brandishing her sword. He backed off, hands in the air. He had a dagger as well, but he didn’t dare use it against her.

Two days of suffering from hunger later, they set on shore. A large island of tropics, trees, and sandy beaches. Nothing like the island before. 

Edith climbed down the ladder first, ignoring Thomas. He could wait. Food could wait. They needed to find the Ring of Realms. Pulling out her map, she looked to see what it became now. The crow with the ring still stood, but beside it was a real map, of detailed location. Good thing she had her compass on hand, and canteen. It looked like a long walk, and she had to keep the head hunters in mind. They could cause some real problems. 

Trudging on, she followed the map as Thomas caught up with her. His own wrist read the same as the map. How did he get such a tattoo? 

Together they navigated the forest, and avoided animals and stayed well aware of animal traps, weapons close at hand. They passed all the significant landmarks on the map after two hours, rocks, trees, scary carvings, and more. Thankfully, they missed all encounters with native people, so they continued the journey. 

When they reached their last landmark, a crumbling, ancient stone semple covered with creeping vines, the map changed once again. It read the same words as the witch spoke to Edith: hidden behind the fall of crystals. A fall of crystals? Stones? Treasure? Inside the temple? When Thomas read the words on his own wrist, his dark eyes widened in surprise, and Edith knew he knew something she did not.

“What is it?” Edith asked.

“A fall of crystals. My father told me about this too, the legendary waterfall.” They could hear the rushing of water nearby, so they easily found it, located behind more dense foliage. It was the most spectacular sight. Pools of glimmering water, singing birds, and a waterfall so beautiful, tumbling over the rocks. The sun reflected off the water, making it truly look like a fall of dazzling crystals. She climbed and scaled the rocks, desperate to see what the fall hid. She landed on a ledge, and looked behind her to see Thomas climbing as well. The ledge came in close contact with the side of the waterfall, daring one to reach for it. But, there was a gap. The cascade of water hid a wall of stone behind, with another ledge. This had to be it. 

Edith sidestepped onto the ledge, inside the waterfall. One wrong step, she would fall into the depths below. She was now cornered by the stone, and the water. But, there it was, the carving of a crow with the ring, into the stone. And just below that, a square hole in the wall, rested the ring. 

She found it, the Ring of Realms, glowing a deep shade of jade green, and three visible x markings, calling her name.

TO BE CONTINUED

November 11, 2020 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Philip Clayberg
03:35 Nov 17, 2020

Thank you for writing the story. I'm also curious to know what happens next. Though I can almost imagine Thomas saying, "Don't touch it." And Edith asking, "And why not, if you don't mind my asking." "I smell a trap," he says. "Traps don't have smells," she says. "This one does," he says. "You don't just leave a ring where it's easy to see and take." "And if they did?" she asks. He has a stick with him and uses it to touch the ring. The wall slides apart, becoming two sections. They can hear a roar of water suddenly flowing from...

Reply

L M
05:46 Nov 17, 2020

Thank you for your comment. You really wrote a lot, I really like your idea of the sequel! I had something a little different in mind, but your idea is great!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
05:57 Nov 17, 2020

You're welcome. You really don't have to use *any* of what I added. I was trying to imagine what would happen next (and I have no idea what happens after they escape from the trap - if it *was* a trap). Maybe you could mix your ideas with mine and see where they lead you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amber Lambda
18:50 Nov 16, 2020

This is an interesting premise with the witch and changing map and tattoo, and I liked the characters! It does move pretty quickly, and I could totally see it being stretched out as something bigger. I’m curious to know what happens next, good job!

Reply

L M
21:11 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Quinn Kimmett
20:47 Nov 13, 2020

Nice! Another good story!

Reply

L M
00:04 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.