1 comment

Fantasy

They called him Peter, he has been in existence since early times, nobody knows his story and no one will ever know, because Peter is more like a Time Traveller. No, he doesn't own a Time Machine, nothing of the sort, he job is to view the human existence, he must not interfere, if this does happen, then it would be time for him to move on to another, when this happens, a time shift will occur where he gets transported to another era and this has been going on for centuries.


Peter woke up in a small 2-bed apartment in 1980 London, a young 19 year old, fresh from College, he managed to land a job at a local law firm, run by four ruthless brothers. The brothers have no idea who they have just employed and so far they are pleased with Peter's work. Peter has a A Grade in Mathematics, English and fast speed in Typing and Shorthand. The brothers' thought this to be impeccable. The four brothers, Rufus, Seamus, Angus and George Sutherland lived above their Law office. Each morning the other would take it in turns to get milk from the local shop and prepare breakfast.


Meanwhile, around the corner from the Law office, Peter would arrive to work five or ten minutes early to get into the grove of the job. He was 5 ft. 8 and slim build with jet black short hair always in one style and parted on a side. Arriving to work he wore dark brown trousers, a light blue shirt with dark tie and a navy V-neck sweater. As he walked up the steps to the front door, it was already ajar, Peter allowed him self space to announce that he was coming in,


"Morning, the door is already open...anybody there?"

A voice came from around the corner, it was Angus , who was unlocking the office doors,

"Come right in, it's o k."


Peter followed Angus in to the large office, he seated him at reception, his duties were answering the phone and typing reports, which was what he did practically all day, only it was more typing than answering the phone. The rest of the brothers eventually followed the first brother. The building was quite large, which consisted of two large rooms at the front and two smaller at the back, this they used for the waiting or reception area for clients. There was a kitchen at the back and an out side toilet. Upstairs there were four rooms individually for the four brothers and bathroom area. They all followed in their parents footsteps who disappeared on travel trip, the plane disappear and there was no sign of any bodies, which left the brothers with a handsome sum of money to finish their university in Law and continue with the business.


The only thing the brothers knew about Peter was his influence in learning about Law. What they did not know was Peter's assignment were on the four brothers.


It was the first day of the week, all of the brothers were in their offices, each door closed leaving Peter to file papers, re-write reports ready for signing and answer the phone. Whenever he had free time he would collate any necessary documents and take some copies and retrieve into his bag, paying attention that he was not watched. The one thing which differentiate Peter from other humans is his ability retrieve information in his mind, but he would need one document as a carbon copy. Every now and then he would go around to each office with a tray of tea and an assortment of biscuits placing each tray in the corner of each of the brothers' office. They were more than grateful for the gesture as it gave the place a certain ambience.


As the day drew to an end, Peter would always finish earlier than the brothers, of 04:30 pm, and would close the main door. Peter would always take the same route home until he reached his apartment.

Inside Peter's apartment were newspaper cut outs of the Sutherland brothers history, with each person profile circled in red and a brief description of each character. He was already on a winning streak in their case, he only had to keep the job to pay his rent and with a few months he would be able to expose them, and so he knew he could not blow his own cover and had to return the carbon copy the next day without any one noticing.


Within the next three weeks, Peter was warming into their hands, the brothers were about to surprise him with increasing his salary for the Law business was picking up.


It was a usually beginning of the week and Peter's eighth month with the Law company, as he strolled in to work area and began to sit down his phone buzzed from one of the brothers', it was Angus, he was summoned to his office, when Peter arrived in Angus office, the other three were there.


"Hello Peter how are you feeling?" came from Angus.

"I'm feeling pretty cool, I've organised a complete new filing system for your clients, and learning the ropes."

"We've decided that you have enough experience to be on your own."

"What do you mean, are you all going away?"

"Not necessarily," George butted in, "We would be based in the city for a few weeks and need someone responsible to hold the fort."

"How long will you be away?"

"We're not sure yet, it has not be finalised, but we just wanted to make sure when the time comes that you be available to help us out," Seamus added.


Peter began to think to himself, he had a few more months to investigate them and replied to them,

"I would be more than happy to help, thank you."

"You see. I told you we have the right man for the job," agreeable George conducted.


After several minutes of discussions with the brothers, Peter was free to resume back to the reception area, as it he returned he knew he had to be quick and thorough to get as much information on them before they all disembarked. Peter had finally returned the carbon copy he had taken, and on the brink of posting the evidence to his source overseas.














May 10, 2020 07:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Pragya Rathore
09:00 Jun 02, 2020

I really liked this story, beautiful crafting!! Well done! Please comment on my stories too!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.