Cheeto fingers.

Submitted into Contest #230 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list.... view prompt

14 comments

Contemporary Funny Romance

How to stay single when surrounded by eligible men. An 18-step program:

1.     Cheeto fingers. Keep Cheetos on hand – literally. If you eat the little orange twigs with your fingers and take the opportunity to like the unnaturally fake orange cheese from your fingers, it will paint your fingers to the color of a faded sunset.

2.     Overthink everything. If he says that he likes Marvel, assume that he has dolls, figurines, and life-sized character cut-outs in his bedroom. Imagine yourself going to every new release movie and watching fan fiction at nauseum. Mark out the Comic Con dates on your calendar right now.

3.     Be self-conscious. Be aware of your every flaw. Concentrate on it until you drive yourself entirely insane. Do not give him a chance to love you. Rather, you can make him a list of reasons not to love you and be sure and share the list on the first three dates if you get that many.

4.     Stay in rather than going out. Get yourself some soft pants, a Minky blanket, a bowl of popcorn and a good series to watch and stay in where there will be no opportunities to meet a man unless he shows up on your doorstep, which you will not answer because you are in your Cheeto stained soft pants.

5.     Laugh Too Loud. When in public, practice your loudest and most obnoxious laugh. The laugh that makes you snort. Take this laugh to a public theater and see if you can get other patrons to turn and look at you. Laugh at inappropriate times like when a character is dying a painful death especially in his Marvel movie.

6.     Flirt awkwardly or Not at All. Practice #5 when he is trying to ask you about yourself. Laugh loudly and blush. Practice #2 and assume that if he asks you about your family, that he is going to take you to meet them on the next date. Flip your hair at regular intervals.

7.     Be Way Too Honest. Share with him that you have a zoo of stuffed animals in a net in your bedroom. Tell him you like to freeze your Girl Scout Cookies before eating them, one box at a time. Tell him that you might have a mayonnaise fetish and you eat it on everything. Tell him that you have only been in three serious relationships in your entire life.

8.     Insist on the List. Make a list of all your favorite characteristics in a man and insist that he have all of them before you will go out on a fourth date. If you need him to bench press his body weight and drive a Tesla, let him know this on the first date. Ensure that he makes enough money annually to keep you in the lifestyle to which you would like to be accustomed.

9.     Rewrite History. Rewrite every failed relationship and insist that if you had changed just one thing about yourself, he would have stayed with you and that once he comes to his senses and sees that you can change, he will realize that he left you in error and will come running back with an engagement ring at any moment.

10.  Be Intellectual. Be intellectually intimidating at every moment. Men are often excited by intellectual women so be sure and share interesting facts you know and recent books you have read on geothermal dynamics and other light topics. Mention often how many years schooling you have beyond their education and share daily how much more you make an hour than him.

11.  Be Independent. Bring him by your home, which you have paid off in cash, and show him how you finished your own roof and re-poured your own driveway.

12.  Be Super Busy. Make sure that you can only fit him in your schedule one night a week or two if he is willing to be part of your multi-tasking plan. He can give you a shoulder rub while you stay late at work completing a project you volunteered to do for the boss without pay. Invite him to hand you brushes as you re-paint your living room.

13.  Send Yourself Flowers. Regularly send yourself flowers with notes from fictitious men. He will be inspired to send you flowers of his own to add to your garden.

14.  Refuse to Settle. Practice #8. If you are one of those super picky women who insist that man be employed and not live with his mother, keep looking until you find him.

15.  Require Employment. If he would like to borrow your debit card to put gas in his car, you are allowed to keep looking for your Mr. Right. If he is “between jobs” or “between apartments,” it is okay to give him a fake number and keep looking.

16.  Have Curvature. If you practice #1 and #4, you are likely to have some girly curves and have the hips in the double digits. Own it. Find a man who will eat with you rather than insisting you have a salad. The right man will want to get soft pants of his own and join you for Pizza Fridays with the cheesy stuffed crust. If he wants to go for a run, tell him to run to the store for more ice cream.

17.  Be Scared. If he cannot be Google stalked, be nervous. If the only article you find about him online is a restraining order, it is okay to run! Always bring your car and wallet to a date where you meet him in public. Take an Ex-count and make sure it is a number with which you can live.

18.  Be Happy with your Current Life. It is okay to be happy in your current life. When the right person comes along, you will want to put the effort in to making it work. He will not be perfect, but he will appreciate you, Cheeto fingers and all. He may even laugh when you snort. And you will find yourself creating the perfect Marvel costume for Comic Con.

December 30, 2023 03:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

David Sweet
14:57 Dec 31, 2023

I can imagine the laughing bit. Independence is a good thing. Singleness can be a good thing. Writing a coherent story as a list? Not so easy, but you made it seem easy. Thanks for sharing. Funny and entertaining.

Reply

Lara Deppe
06:02 Jan 01, 2024

We all know that person who laughs a little too loud eh? Singleness isn't all bad. ;) Writing the story as a list was harder than I imagined it was going to be so I'm pleased that it didn't look tortured when all was said and done. Thank you for reading! I'm over-the-moon that you laughed and were entertained!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Z. E. Manley
03:19 Dec 30, 2023

Sounds like the perfect plan to me! Very funny and excellent advice! Loved every word of it.

Reply

Lara Deppe
05:04 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks so much! :) I appreciate that. It's a huge compliment for me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:47 Dec 30, 2023

Think I'm pretty much ticking most of these off successfully as a male version of the mc. Fun story and more than a little believable. The last point though is honest and never a truer word written. *You have like instead of lick and at nauseum instead of ad nauseum fyi 👍

Reply

Lara Deppe
06:00 Jan 01, 2024

I'm happy that it can apply to the male element also. Phew. Thank you for catching the typos. I have never tried to update a story once it has been approved. Can I make edits after it has been submitted and approved without changing the competition status of the piece? I appreciate your comments and edits Derrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
03:30 Dec 30, 2023

This was hilarious Lara! 😂 adding to the garden and running for ice cream were my favorites. Lol

Reply

Lara Deppe
05:05 Dec 30, 2023

J.D. You've made my day! I'm always nervous about trying to be funny. I'm happy it made you laugh! 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
05:54 Jan 02, 2024

Absolutely enjoyed this ! It was a hilarious read, plus the details are just spot-on. Also, you can tick numbers 1, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, and 18 and then end up with a wonderful partner you're so excited to make cheesy romantic playlists for for the rest of your lives. Case in point: me. Hahaha !

Reply

Lara Deppe
01:24 Jan 06, 2024

Stella - I am so happy that you enjoyed it! You give me hope that the wonderful partner is out in the world for me :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:09 Jan 06, 2024

I truly believe that person is out there for you, ready for you to paint his world a bright Cheeto-coloured orange. Again, wonderful story !

Reply

Lara Deppe
04:57 Jan 06, 2024

Haha. I LOVE it! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:32 Jan 01, 2024

Lara, We haven't met, have we? 'Cause you perfectly described my life. And yes, singleness is not a bad thing. Comfy pants vs. blind date? Duh! Wonderful. Thank you.

Reply

Lara Deppe
00:41 Jan 02, 2024

Maybe we single girls are all cut from the same cloth. Haha. Singleness does have its perks doesn't it? Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in the world! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.