2 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult

Jessie and Mary are identical twins. They look so much alike that ever since they were young, they perfected the ability to impersonate each other, fooling even their mother. However, they left such pranks aside, long ago. They are not children anymore. They are young adults now and their personalities have grown very different.

Jessie is in art school, she’s laid-back and likes to think she’s the fun sister, but Mary doesn’t like her sister’s idea of fun. Mary is the “good” twin, at least that’s what their mother says. Jessie thinks her sister is entitled and acts superior, especially since she got in a very prestigious culinary school on a scholarship.

However different the sisters may be, they were always close. Mary used to be bullied a lot, but Jessie always had her back. In return, Mary used to help Jessie when she would get in trouble with the teachers or their mother.

Nothing can change the fact that they are sisters, but sometimes they wish they could. They rarely speak to each other now, as they live in the dorm rooms of their school. Last year, they only saw each other on Christmas, but that’s about to change. They are going home for their birthday, their mother demanded it.

Neither is very excited. They would rather stay where they were, with their friends. At least, Jessie would, she thought that maybe Mary didn’t have friends to celebrate with, since she had always been a loner. Mary would probably stay in her room, alone, on their birthday, and Jessie didn’t want her sister to go through that.

Jessie looked at the door of the house she had lived in all her life, she didn’t want to admit it but she missed home, she missed her mother and she even missed her sister, not that she would ever tell her that.

Anne, her mother was sitting by the window, enjoying the breeze coming from outside, but she turns when she hears someone arriving.

“Jessie, darling! Welcome home.” She speeds to hug her daughter. That big empty house made her feel alone without her girls, and she felt sad that they didn’t share anything with her or each other. Her babies were always close and now they feel like strangers to one another.

“Hi, Mom. Is Mary in yet?” Anne noticed the awareness with which her daughter asked about her sister, as if she was afraid of seeing her again. Jessie was always the strongest daughter, and that would cost her more than she imagined.

“She’s getting ready for dinner in your old room.”

“Alright. I’m going upstairs too, ok?”

“Sure, honey. But please, both of you come down to help me when you can, alright?”

“Of course, Mom.” Jessie hugged her mother before going upstairs to the room she used to share with her sister.

The house has more than two rooms, but they always liked to share one, since they could talk until sunrise.

They hadn’t done that in so long making it nothing more than an old memory.

Mary was too busy talking on the phone to hear her sister come into the room.

“Yes, babe, I know.”

“Babe?” Mary turns around at lighting speed to see the look of shock in her sister’s face.

“Uhm…Vince? Yeah, I have to call you back later.” She hangs up without another word. That would get her in trouble later, but she had to deal with her sister now. “Jessie! Long-time no see.” Her sister looked the same. Once, they thought the way to be distinguished would be with distinct hairstyles, so her sister decided she would have short hair for the rest of her life. It suited her personality, especially since she started curling it. Other than that, they looked the same, at least to other people. However, Mary and Jessie knew where to look for differences. The lighter colour of Mary’s eyes, or the birthmark Jessie has on her shoulder, were just examples that no one seemed to notice. Nonetheless, even though they look the same, Mary always felt inferior to Jessie. She wasn’t as strong or bold as her sister, and she envies her for that.

“Who is ‘babe’, Mary?” Mary didn’t like the accusatory tone in her sister’s words.

“That’s how you greet me, after almost a year? I don’t owe you any explanations.”

Jessie sighs. When Mary refuses to talk about something nothing could make her. Unfortunately, that usually means it is something she knows Jessie would disapprove of.

Jessie decides to let it go. Later she would ask her mother if she knew anything about this subject.

“Hi sis, how is everything?” She smiles ironically at her sister.

“Everything is good. How about art school?”

“Interesting.”

“That’s rare, you always find everything boring except partying.” Jessie knew her sister thought she was a party girl. It was true but not to the extent that Mary thinks. Nonetheless, that was the idea that she wanted her sister and everyone else to have of her. Less pressure that way.

“That’s because everything is a party there.”

“I guess you are in the right place then. Don’t let mom here you.”

The sisters talked for a bit, before going down and help their mother. The dinner was smooth and even pleasant. However, at the back of Jessie’s head the drilling question about who “Vince” was kept nagging her.

She volunteered to help her mother with the dishes which shocked both Anne and Mary.

Once in the kitchen, Anne was the first to speak.

“What do you want?” It wasn’t out of the ordinary for Anne to figure out the subtle worry in her daughter’s eyes.

Jessie didn’t bother asking how she knew, she just jumped into the subject once she saw her sister go upstairs from the corner of her eye.

“Who is Vince?”

Anne paralyzed for a second. “Wha-what?”

“You heard me. Who is Vince, Mom?” Her mother wouldn’t meet her eyes, so she knew something was wrong.

“She told you about him?” Anne’s voice was hushed and trembled slightly enough to go unnoticed, but Jessie noticed it.

“No. I heard her on the phone. She hanged up when she saw me. Who is he?”

Anne took a deep breath and looked at her daughter with tears in her eyes. This was the real reason she wanted the girls back home. Perhaps Jessie could do something about this matter.

“He is her boyfriend.”

“Then why do you look so upset? Why is she keeping secrets?” Anne whimpered and told a grave story to her strong daughter. A story Jessie would not be able to accept.

At the same time, Mary grabbed her phone and called him. He was furious that she had hung up on him but understood when she told him about her sister.

Mary missed her sister. Jessie has always been her rock, and that’s why she was glad when they got separated, it forced her to grow. However, seeing her sister again, makes her want to run to her, cry on her shoulder and vent about everything that happened this past year.

She couldn’t do that. She was an adult now, and her sister wouldn’t understand. Jessie was a good sister but tended to be a little judgemental and she often overreacted. Mary knew Jessie became curious since she heard her previous phone call, so she figured she had to tell her something.

After a while Mary hung up the phone and soon after she hears her sister come in.

“Hey, are we sharing the room, or do you prefer to have it to yourself?” Jessie asked quietly.

“Are you serious? Why would we not share?”

Jessie shrugs. “I thought that you might have gotten used to having your own space.”

“I did Jess, but we are still sisters, and…well…I missed you.” Mary smiled at her sister and Jessie nodded.

“I missed you too, Mare.”

“Not that nickname!”

“Always that nickname.” Jessie laughed as she laid down on her own bed, while Mary was sitting on hers.

They turn of the lights and only the moonlight lit up their faces.

“Jess…” Mary whispers after a while.

“Hmm?” Jessie tries to sound sleepy when in fact she couldn’t even close her eyes.

“Are you sleeping?”

“Yes.” Mary laughed.

“Oh come on… Don’t you want to know about Vince?” Mary tried to entice her sister.

Jessie froze up but quickly covered it up. “Are you finally going to tell me about your sweetheart?”

“How do you know that we are dating?”

“You called him ‘babe’, genius.”

“Oh, that’s true…” Mary took a deep breath. “We are dating for almost a year now.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Jessie was hurt that Mary had been keeping such important things from her.

“He doesn’t know you exist.”

“What?”

“He knows I have a sister…just not a…” Mary stops speaking, not sure of what to say to make it sound not so bad.

“A twin? He doesn’t know you have a twin?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because you are his type while I’m not…every boy I ever liked, liked you instead, even when we look the same.”

Jessie wants to refuse that notion, but it is true. However, that only happened because Mary, sweet rule-abiding Mary, always falls for the bad boys.

“That only happens because you have bad taste.” Jessie tries to laugh it off and pretend that she wasn’t hurt by her sister’s words. “I get why you kept me from him, but why would you keep him from me?” A thought crossed Jessie’s mind at that second. A thought that truly hurt her. “I wouldn’t steal him you know?”

“That’s not the reason! I just…I thought you wouldn’t approve.”

“Why wouldn’t I approve?” Jessie knew why but wanted to know if Mary would come clean. If she didn’t, things are serious, and Jessie would have to interfere.

“Not a particular reason. You just never approve of my crushes.”

“The reason for that being, you always pick scumbags.”

“See! That’s why I didn’t tell you!”

“So are you admitting he is a scumbag?”

“NO!” Mary shouted. “He isn’t! I love him.” This reaction is exactly what Anne warned her daughter about.

“Then I don’t see your problem. Show me who he is.” Mary thought for a while but soon was showing her sister the photos of her sweetheart.

Jessie somehow managed to control her criticism at least in from of her sister and learn what she could about him. By the time they went to sleep, Jessie knew what she had to do.

She woke up early the next morning and after a quick chat with her mother she got in her car and left. Not a single word to her sister.

The drive took about four hours, but Jessie was too wrapped up in her thoughts to notice. She had turned off her phone so she could drive in peace, and during the whole time, she kept reassuring herself that she was doing the right thing.

However, when she finally got there, she had to force herself out of the car. Jessie wasn’t sure if she could do what she knew she had to. Was she ready to lose her sister? Twins have a bond like no other. Losing her would be like losing a piece of herself. However, Jessie knew that when you truly love someone, you have to be willing to lose them for their own good.

After briefly speaking to a few people, she stood outside a door. She raised her hand, ready to knock but at the last possible second she stopped. She couldn’t do it.

She turned around, ready to give up and try another way. A way she knew would fail.

Suddenly, the door opens.

“Mary? You got here fast.” Jessie turn around to see an average looking guy. He was definitely not her type, but Mary always fell for guy that look like rule breakers. Jessie figures she envied them. Mary should be only an hour or so behind Jessie, so she had to do what she came here to do, fast.

“Hey, Vincent. I missed you, so I tried to get here quickly.” It has been a while since Jessie pretended to be Mary, and they never did it without the other one’s knowledge, but she was already here so she might as well see where this goes.

His eyes analyze her, looking up and down, judging everything Jessie knew it was different from Mary. Her hair, her clothes, her make up.

A few guys walked by and look at Jessie with flirtatious eyes, obviously enjoying the view of her naked legs and shoulders. She was wearing really short shorts and a strapless top.

“Get in.” Vincent said and she did.

As soon as she was in the room, Vincent closed the door with too much strength.

He forcefully grabbed her arm. “What the hell are you wearing?! And what did you do to your hair?!”

His temper coming up easier than Jessie thought it would. He was perfectly normal a few seconds ago, but Jessie could clearly see the monster within. Perhaps it was because she was prepared for it. What her mother had told her about how this guy put her sister in the hospital more than once the past year made her blood boil.

Anne had tried to warn her daughter and make her leave him, but that only got her three months without any news from her. Finally, her mother had to choose between losing her daughter or sit by while she got herself killed.

Jessie believed her mother. Who wouldn’t when confronted with Anne’s desperate cry for help? However, she needed to see for herself. Mary was happy while talking about Vincent, and that made Jessie second guess her instincts.

Not anymore. The forceful grip that Vincent had on her arm made it clear. No more second guessing her decisions. If her sister wouldn’t make the right choice, Jessie would make it for her, even if that meant losing her.

“I’m sorry, babe. My clothes got ruined so I had to borrow some from my sister and my mother insisted on going to the salon as a birthday gift.” Jessie pouted. “I thought you might like it…”

Vincent’s grip weaken a little face to the harmless facade Jessie was showing.

“I don’t like other men looking at you.” The threat was obvious in his tone. If other men were to look at his girlfriend, she was the one that would suffer the consequences.

Jessie swallowed her disgust and smiled coyly at her sister’s boyfriend.

“I don’t want anyone else looking at me either.” She states and for a split second she wanted to vomit thinking about what she would have to do.

“You better.” He says and she kisses him slightly. He seems shocked but doesn’t push her away.

“I can prove it to you. That I’m only yours.” She said luring him to the sofa, that thankfully was exactly where she needed it to be.

Vincent took his shirt before they even get there and quickly pulled her into his lap so that she was straddling him.

Jessie wanted to shudder in repulse to his touch, but she knew she wouldn’t need to endure it much longer when she saw the doorknob twist.

Vincent was too busy kissing her neck to notice but Jessie got ready for what would follow.

Mary opens the door and freezes in place. Her brain couldn’t process what her eyes were seeing. From her point of view at the door, Jessie appear to be naked while straddling her boyfriend that was kissing her neck passionately. Jessie looked up and notice Mary at the door and did something that shattered Mary’s unresponsive stance. Jessie smiled.

When Mary saw her smile, she bolted out of the door. The bang of the door was the signal for Jessie to get out of Vincent’s grip and make her way towards the door.

“Where are you going?” He said not pleased at all.

“Away, and you better never show your face near me again.”

“What?” The shock of having her respond to him momentarily surpass his range. “What did you say to me?!”

“I already called the police. If you EVER go near me again, you’ll regret it. A lot of my friends are cops and you do not want to mess with them. Forget you ever met me and go find someone else to bully.” His ego was bruised, and he wanted to lash out. He raised his hand and Jessie looked straight into his eyes. “If you touch me, jail will be your permanent home for a long while.” Her voice was stable, and he backed down. Coward.

Jessie ran out the door and saw her sister near her car in the parking lot. She was obviously crying, and it took Jessie a minute to organize her thoughts and do what needed to be done.

Mary saw her before she could say anything and started to angrily shout at her.

“How could you betray me like this!! You are my sister! My twin!”

“Mom told me everything.” That made Mary pause. “I knew you wouldn’t leave him for yourself, so now you’ll have too.”

“Maybe I won’t!” She said out of spite.

“Then every time you kiss him, you’ll remember that I kissed him. Every time you get in bed with him, you’ll picture me there with him instead. You know? He knew I wasn’t you and he still wanted me. I guess you were right. I really am his type.” Jessie lied, but what was a lie next to what she had already done?

“I’ll never forgive you.” Mary says with finality as she gets in her car.

“That’s ok.” Jessie murmured.

As Jessie watched her sister drive away, her only hope is that one day she’ll realize that she did it for her.

November 13, 2020 00:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Angelina Tran
05:41 Nov 18, 2020

It’s a great story! But some tips: “I guess you are in the right place then. Don’t let mom here you.” should be: “I guess you are in the right place then. Don’t let mom hear you.” Also this: “No. I heard her on the phone. She hanged up when she saw me. Who is he?” This too: “We are dating for almost a year now.” Is better as: “We‘ve been dating for almost a year now.” And instead of “ok”, spell it as “okay” to make it flow better.

Reply

Ins Campelo
00:22 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you so much for your advices! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.