0 comments

Happy Holiday

When I was young, the kitchen had an invisible 'stop' sign put there by my mom. “No you cannot enter here!” she always said to me. Well, I really don't blame her as it is no place for kids.

I was just left outside in awe, looking at what wonders the kitchen held. A few years passed by and I became very interested in food, both eating and preparing it. Nonetheless, the kitchen was still out of bounds so I couldn't experiment with cooking. But they couldn't stop me forever now, could they?

It was early morning, mom had gone for grocery shopping and my sister was fast asleep, and no one else was at home. Time to strike! I sneaked through the dining room and there was the kitchen in front of me!

I stepped inside and took in the sight in front of me - cabinets rising high like skyscrapers, the oven occupying a majestic place beside one wall, the dishes sparkling like diamonds. I had seen it from outside but this time it was up close. As I hadn't had breakfast I decided to begin my first experience as a chef by making an omelette. Sure I had seen mom do it, so how could it be hard?

I set to work quietly so as not to wake my sister up. I took an egg, and some tomatoes and onions. I knew the basics, so I began the work. I chopped the onions on the work surface just I had seen chefs do it. Then came the turn of the tomatoes to be cut. I washed them first and started chopping. This time disaster struck and I cut my finger. Ouch! There was no bleeding but it was just as painful.

This little nib didn't stop me and after about a few minutes of whining, I got back on my feet. The egg awaited its fate, to be cracked in half. It took two or three attempts to crack it open and into the bowl. The spices were next.

Well, as most of you know, mothers always keep spices on the top shelf of the cabinet. Whatever the logic may be, it is very annoying trying to jump to reach them. After a failed attempt, I went to the hall and grabbed a stool. After climbing up the stool, I grabbed the chili powder and the salt.

I put the ingredients in the bowl with the egg, and whisked it. I lighted the stove and put the big frying pan on it and poured some oil in it... and spilled some on the floor too, accidentally, of course!

Till the pouring of the batter into the pan, everything was going perfect — then I wondered what was used for turning the egg upside down in the pan. Soon, I was running all over the kitchen, searching all the cabinets to find the cooking spoon, all the while the omelette was sizzling in the pan. Finally I found the spoon and made a rush to turn over the omelette. I managed to do that without breaking or spilling it out of the pan only to see a very nicely browned, or rather burnt side up!

While I was busy taking it out in a plate, someone came up behind me. It was mom. I was dumbstruck. She was angry at seeing the kitchen in a mess, the drawers all open, and some salt and chili powder on the stoves and counter top.

She found a fit punishment for me — I was to eat the burnt omelette. Sitting on the table and eating the omelette, I realized it wasn't as bad as it looked. My first cooking experience turned out to be a disaster and I just got the taste of my own medicine... I mean, omelette. But I was happy with my accomplishment, even if it was a bit burnt.

Though I was not very happy but I was literally a little happy for my burnt omelette, but when I have started a mission I will end it and that’s my promise to myself.

I walked over to my mom’s bedroom and saw my mom was fast asleep taking a nap, with my sister, snoring heavily. Dad was not at home, and the only awake member was me. I grasped this opportunity and tip-toed to the kitchen. On the way I carried a stool from the hall because of the spices on the top shelves. I lighted the stove with a saucepan on the top and poured a lot of water and waiting for it to boil I stared at the pot, stirring the water a bit…

 It doesn’t boil…

 Increasing the flame I stirred the water again it doesn’t boil. 

I started cutting the vegetable one by one, very carefully trying too hard not to cut my finger off as last time. First the garlic then the onion, carrot and capsicum and kept them aside.

After waiting for 3-4 minutes the water is boiling as shown in the T.V, I added 300 g of penne pasta (for me, mom, dad and sister), a good pinch of salt, and added a tablespoon of oil. I let the pasta boil for a bit and tried a piece of the pasta. The pasta was perfectly cooked, it was soft but it did not melt.

I have seen on the T.V that while draining the water some pasta falls in the sink so I kept a big round bowl just in case if the pasta escapes, and when I was half way through the draining process some of the pasta escaped to the big bowl on the sink, I picked them up and washed all the pasta on cool running water and set them aside.

I took another pan and heated it, and when the pan was heated completely I added 3 teaspoons of oil, and a couple of seconds later I added 2 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic and let them fry for about 30-40 seconds, when the garlic is fried I added a big sized onion which was roughly chopped and I let them fry for about 1-2 minutes. Then I added half a carrot and half a capsicum both cut into cubes, and then I added a handful of boiled corns, which I stole from the fridge. Then I cooked the vegetables for 2 more minutes, and then I added some salt, half a teaspoon of black pepper powder and mixed them well with the veggies. I added ready made white sauce which was there on the highest shelves onto the veggies, and added the cooked pasta to the pan. I had already taken a spatula in my hand and I mixed the pasta with the vegetables really well until they were all coated with the creamy, thick white sauce. So I let the pasta cook for another 3 minutes just for the veggies and pasta to absorb the flavors of the sauce. At the end of the process I ran over to the fridge took out a cheese and grated it over the pan of pasta. Again I mixed it well with the pasta and turned the flame off sprinkled some chili flakes, and some grated cheese then I covered the pan with its lid.

I turned back from the stove to go back to my mom’s room to wake her and my sister up, but to my surprise they were sitting on their chairs in the dining room waiting for the pasta to be served. I thought mom would scold me but she didn’t and only said “Let’s wait for your dad to come and then we’ll eat the pasta together.” And to my surprise she was literally smiling on me.

Ding-Dong...

The doorbell rang it was Dad and my sister went to open the door for him, and she screamed out “Daddy, daddy, sister has cooked some nice and yummy pasta, you get fresh and let’s eat it together.”

My mom got up from her chair and asked me to sit on mine then she took out some plates, wiped them with a wet cloth and set the table. In the center of the table the yummy, creamy and juicy pasta was kept which was only made by ME.

Dad came down to the dining table after getting fresh and mom started pouring equal amount of pasta in the four plates, I asked my younger sister to take a bite and she jumped with joy screaming “This is sooo… good… Yummy, can you make pasta more often??... This is sooo yummy... Daddy don't waste time and start eating it... Yum...”

My mom and dad tasted the pasta and they with big round eyes looked at me and said "The pasta is AMAZING, the flavor of the spices is accurate." Indeed, the pasta tasted awesome…

My mission was completed and I succeeded this mission with flying colors… no I mean flying taste. 

July 02, 2021 07:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.