Contest #27 winner 🏆

38 comments

General

That time of my life feels slimy and dank. My father belongs to the dredges of my memory where he sits, weaving a sturdy net with leather hands as I remember him. His boats leave a trail of shimmery black oil, the raw color of the sky on days of tormenting, angry waves and storms. 

The fish my father brought in were always cold and tasted of the sea, no matter how thoroughly my mother cleaned them or doused them in oil. She hated cleaning them, hated eating the same meal for a decade, but I loved it. I loved my father, with his seaweed and fish smell. I would sit on his lap for hours, nodding off with callous rope fibers tangling my hair, my cheek pressed against the coarse ropes that he always wore around his neck. 

I would wear his boots, even though his shoe size nearly tripled mine. He could conceal my hand in his larger paws by simply curling a finger. He could make me forget the mean girls at school, forget my brother’s strange disappearances, forget the world. I have searched for something like that for many years, but nothing compares to his deep, rumbling voice, like boulders moving.

He would tell stories, could weave a fairy tale or romance more sound than anything reality could offer. My father was a very talented man like that. He could fix any boat, net, or fishing pole in sight with nothing more than a screwdriver, a hammer, and a small box of bent nails. It was a shame, though, he never could fix his marriage.

My mother hated the fish and the sea, but she always loved my father. After all of this, I know that at the bottom of her heart, she loved him. It was just the little things — how he might have forgotten that she took her coffee with cream, how she needed red yarn, not yellow yarn, how my mother was supposed to be my father’s love, not the water.

Another thing.

My mother, for living at a small English fishing village, detested the water. 

“Mama, come and swim,” we would call, my brother and I, standing in the dark waves as my mother frowned at us from the shoreline.

“No.”

“Why not?” I imagine it must have been hard to marry a fisherman, a man whose love was the water when she harbored a hatred and deep fear of it. 

You see, my mother’s father was a wealthy merchant who owned many sailboats. Once, my mother and her sister took out one of his boats on the rolling water, water that reflected the ominous clouds stewing at the horizon. 

What her mother saw first at the shore after the storm was the boat, then my mother. She was pale and blue, suffering from pneumonia and hypothermia. What my grandmother never saw was my mother’s sister. 

I think my mother never got over the grief and survivor’s guilt that followed my aunt’s death. She was always cold, long after she had been released from the hospital, long after she had scrubbed herself free of her nervous mother and her callous father. 

What my mother wanted was a reason to leave and someone or something safe. She got both in my father, but in her heart, my mother always wanted more. She could have had more, with her dark, dark hair and pale skin and round, blue eyes. She was beautiful, and she knew it, and she wanted more. Well, more is what she got.

The young merchants came one day, smelling of spices and sporting funny accents and funny clothes. My father would stand at the door, watching their horses and wagons sputter past, kicking up dust and lugging shiny jewelry and colorful clothes. He would grumble a little bit, take a short sip of his black coffee, and declare that they would be gone soon. That, at least, was true.

The next day, my mother pursued the merchants in town, searching for a scarf that she never found. Every day, she found a reason to return to their small shacks, returning home with no more than she left with, except a smile. 

My father noticed. He began to make her things, a pearl necklace with a chain of rope, specially seasoned salmon, bits of seaglass that he found at the shore. It was never enough.

The next month, when the merchants had exhausted the town and their wallets, when the fried fish no longer seemed appealing, they bundled up their wagons. Before they left, the young merchant dragged the circus-like procession to our doorstep. I will never forget the look on my mother’s face, how she let down her plait for once, and she pulled out one pair of my shoes and put them in a small suitcase. We were both still in our nightgown when she grabbed my hand and left. I wish I could have said goodbye to my brother, to my father, but I barely had time to blink before we were on a boat boarding for Ireland.

Somewhere along the way, my mother decided that the merchant’s life wasn’t for us. It was two days after the merchant came back with a new lady, a Scottish cleaner on the boat with red hair. We traveled across Ireland on a wagon selling hats, a long, quiet five months. I was eleven, young enough to be curious, old enough to have a gut feeling that I wouldn’t be able to wear my father’s boots again. 

We settled in Southern Scotland seven months later. When my mother had passed, leaving behind a small bucket hat and a pair of flats, I picked up my few precious items and left. I was sixteen. That small Scottish town had nothing to offer me, but then again, the small English fishing village that I had called home hadn’t either.

The village was still the same, even after half a decade, even after the village had been worn by the new merchants and companies that wanted a piece of England for themselves. Little did they know that this pocket of England was mine.

My father’s house was still the same, physically, but it felt a little duller. I didn’t go inside, I didn't need to. My father didn’t own a blue bike or a pair of pink shoes. I walked for two miles until I reached the cemetery that they had buried my father’s father at, my father’s father’s father at, and so on.

His grave was small, bearing only his name and date of death… two months after my mother and I left. I wish I could’ve said goodbye. That’s all I wanted. Just a goodbye. 

I don’t think my mother ever found her happy, her home. My father was born into his. 

When I go to the harbor, there is only his small fishing boat, knocking a melancholy rhythm against the wooden dock. In it, I find two things.

There is a crystal blue sky when I leave, with no home but two things.

A fishing net.

Sea glass.

February 04, 2020 16:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

B R
18:45 Feb 14, 2020

A well melancholic short story of where the main character's heart truly belongs despite having parents with their differences. I enjoyed this story and would have read it if it were stretched into a long novel. Please write again, dear writer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jordan Parrott
17:58 Feb 14, 2020

You set the tone in the first paragraph and never let me escape that sludgy, slick oil. This was hella atmospheric. You’ve got a very solid writing style. Wow!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zilla Babbitt
18:37 Jul 20, 2020

I must have forgotten to leave a comment when this won-- which leaves me in shock, because this is one of my favorite winning stories. I love seaglass and its misshapen beauty, and your incorporation was amazing. Sweet and sad and the first line is well-spun, draws me in. Deserved win!

Reply

Natalie Frank
18:18 Aug 17, 2020

Wow! You are an amazing writer, and it's a joy to receive a comment from you. I thoroughly enjoy your stories, and thank you for leaving this comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey Mathias
01:09 Feb 15, 2020

The description of local color is superb. Natalie, you are an inspiration to beginning writers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
K.C. Dunford
22:03 Jun 04, 2020

Hey, Natalie! I read your story and loved it! I wanted to let you know about a free writing contest that I am hosting now until the end of June. The winning story will be published by High Dive Publishing and both first and second place will receive a bunch of cool prizes. Visit https://kcdunfordbooks.wixsite.com/contest if you’re interested! I hope you will submit! I’d love to see more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Indrani Talukdar
06:51 Feb 16, 2020

Beautifully spun story with a lot of feeling. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angie Gnau
01:43 Feb 16, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Newson
15:29 Feb 15, 2020

At first this reminded me of the story Ingo, with a girl destined for the sea, and her father in love with it as his wife feared the ocean from home. But you took the story in a different direction, and I loved it. Completely wrapped up within itself and descriptive enough that I could almost taste the salt on my tongue as you described the father. I'm not surprised you won. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keri Dyck
17:44 Feb 14, 2020

This was so sad! Very well written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ali B
16:29 Feb 14, 2020

Thank you for writing this. I hope you continue to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
16:14 Feb 14, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Morgan Elbert
15:43 Feb 14, 2020

Lovely and melancholy. Well done. Congratulations on your win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jennifer Denning
10:36 Feb 14, 2020

Beautiful...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shannon Henry
02:27 Feb 14, 2020

Such a sad story, but beautifully written!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vrishni Maharaj
14:05 May 27, 2020

Beautifully written! A very engaging read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marcia Wilson
17:59 May 13, 2020

Solid and beautiful, kind of like a Tanith Lee novelette. Will there be another story with the brother in it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gloria Salazar
10:42 Mar 28, 2020

This was a solid enjoyable read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lindy Guidry
21:57 Mar 13, 2020

Great imagery! This story drew me in and held my attention from start to finish. Congrats on your well deserved first place!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Reece Benton
15:59 Mar 13, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed this story. Well written and sad. Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nalia Grey
16:33 Feb 25, 2020

WOW!!! I wish I could write as well as you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.