The Librarian

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

18 comments

Fantasy

I lock the doors and turn off the main lights to the newest addition of the city's public library system after a successful first day.  The rows of shelves are now illuminated only by the soft glow of the emergency lights.  My librarian training kicks in, and I check the shadows for peering eyes or subtle movements.

But this library isn’t haunted.  It doesn’t have any secrets.  It’s just a perfectly ordinary library.

Libraries can be, of course, overwhelmingly powerful.  You can feel the magic curling around your body as you walk through shelves.  Each book is draped in fountains of creativity and the labor of love that all books are to their authors.  You can smell the magic unfolding in the air thick with the vanilla smell of slowly decaying paper.  If you know how to look, you can see the flow of imagination and ideas streaming through the air, invisible to the untrained eye, but as beautiful as the Milky Way in the night sky.

This library isn’t anything like that.

It’s nothing like the one guarded by the immortal cat who uses at least nine lives every day protecting the books and patrons from things best left unseen.  The feline guardian buoys your spirit with his purr in one moment and saves it the next with a swipe of his claws at the shadow just behind you, the action so quick you might never even notice.  The most famous near-miss was in 2016 when the City Council tried to get rid of the cat for unknown reasons.  The cat was “fired,” and a librarian was almost eaten by a rogue berbalang.  Fortunately, the City Council was able to hush this tragedy up by restoring the cat to its post under the guise of public outcry.

This library isn’t like the one with the long, red hallway.  Lit in crimson and scarlet that might be unsettling to a human, this room keeps the faeries calm and docile so they don’t mangle the books... or the patrons.  It took some years to determine the right shades of red to placate the faeries, but no lives have been lost in recent memory since the red room was completed.

It’s not like the library where you might find strange but somehow familiar symbols scrawled on paper and bookmarks and leaves, slid between the pages of books, symbols that trigger something deep inside you but you either forget quickly or are consumed by the need to find answers that no one seems to know.  The books in this library dance at the edge of your memory, but you’ll never find another person who knows the same stories.

This library isn’t like the library with the beautiful marble floors and ornate railings that overlook a stunning atrium, a favored residence of the gods of love whose power draws couples to solidify their marriages inside.  Legend has it, on the very spot the library now stands, the first soul mates locked eyes, unleashing a tidal wave of hope and possibility for lovers around the world.

It’s not like the library with an indoor forest peppered with welcoming benches that encourages you to read among the leaves so the creatures you don’t see can read over your shoulder.  After all, where there are words to be devoured, there are creatures.

This library isn’t like the library with the labyrinthine halls that is full of treasures meant to distract from the ruby-covered volume that holds knowledge too dangerous for most to possess.

It’s not like the library with the huge, circular reading room.  That room looks innocent enough, but at least one person there is quietly casting spells to keep the beast under the floor dreaming peacefully.  Absolute concentration is a must, so don’t be tempted to interrupt a reader.  You never know what dangers they’re protecting all of us from.  The last time a caster was interrupted by a careless patron was in 1851, and the world lost thousands of precious books, including Thomas Jefferson’s personal collection, to the beast’s angry flames.

This library isn’t like the library with the earth and stone construction that perfectly disguises itself in its desert canyon environment.  I won’t tell you what it hides from.  You’d never sleep again.

It’s not like the library guarded, strangely, by the ghost of a grey whale whose skeleton adorns the main hall.  No one knows how the whale came to be in that modern building of concrete and steel, surrounded not by water but by botanical gardens of beautiful native flora.  Still, it guards the library from those who would harm it, and it has not failed yet.

This library isn’t like the library with a reading room shaped like an inverted pyramid, meant to send the hopes and fears and dreams of readers into the bowels of the earth to satisfy the great magics that live within.  The magics that ran wild and corrupt have not troubled the world since the library was built, and they will remain at bay as long as those with a love of reading exist.

It’s not like the library attached to a monastery in hopes the holy men can continue to placate the demons that rage within the walls.  The ancient frescoes showing the relationship between science and religion were added in the 1770s to give the monks inspiration for their prayers and hope that, perhaps one day, a way to quiet the demons forever will be found.

This library isn’t like the library built to replace the one Julius Caesar burned when he battled the ancient evil beneath and failed.  The smooth granite of the new walls is too slippery for the beast to maintain a hold, and we must hope they never fall.

It isn’t like the one with the deep cavern filled with unimaginable treasures.  I won’t say more about that because it’s also full of traps and monsters and very, very old magic... but you can get in if you can find the loose tile under the book drop and turn it just so.

A low growl interrupts my musings, and I pull a dagger from my cardigan sleeve with a smile.

Where there are books, there are monsters.  But there are also librarians, and a perfectly ordinary library with no secrets never stays that way for long.

April 27, 2021 23:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Redd Herring
18:57 Jun 03, 2021

What a wonderful premise for your take on the prompt. This was just excellent!

Reply

Amanda Fox
14:41 Jun 04, 2021

Thank you so much =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abhishek Todmal
10:07 May 27, 2021

Beautiful prose, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your piece. There is definitely magic housed within the nooks and crannies of the shelves and walls of libraries. When I wander out to our local library, I'm like a kid in a candy store. Except that the store is vast, and I feel like an adventure shall beckon, and that is when I run around from shelf to shelf, corridor to corridor, just gently tapping books, reading through their back synopses, wishing rather like I might have an unlimited night to read the place down. Of course, I'd rather the l...

Reply

Amanda Fox
13:45 May 27, 2021

Thank you so much! I feel the same way about libraries - they're such magical places.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina Chyll
18:27 May 03, 2021

Lovely descriptions. They felt informative but without sounding stilted or inserted into the text for no good reason. Instead, the library at the centre of the story felt like the other libraries' kin, if different in many ways.

Reply

Amanda Fox
19:38 May 03, 2021

Thank you! I love libraries so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alison Clayton
05:54 Apr 29, 2021

I liked the descriptions of the libraries and recognised some of them. Made me see that libraries are not just about books and in fact your story was less about the books in them than the locations of them and their history. An interesting take on the prompt. I was wondering how it all applied to your library. A better ending than I would have given. Well done.

Reply

Amanda Fox
20:36 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks, Alison! Libraries have always been a magical place to me, and I like the idea that they are fountains of supernatural activity. If a library has just opened, it might take time for it to get that feel, but I wanted to convey that, even when everything is shiny and new, the library can be a special place.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josh C
01:52 Apr 29, 2021

This is beautiful! I recognise a few of the events/places you mention - are they all based on existing myths/locations or are some created? The desert canyon one particularly peaks my interest. If you ever write a childrens/young adult book, I feel this would be a great premise!

Reply

Amanda Fox
20:34 Apr 29, 2021

The myths and supernatural parts are all my creation, but the look of the libraries and the cat (his name is Browser) real. Since libraries always felt like liminal spaces to me, I liked the idea that they either attracted or were built to house magics and monsters. I was talking with my brother about possibly exploring this as a book of some kind someday, but my long-form plotting game is weak AF.

Reply

Josh C
04:31 Apr 30, 2021

What was the real-life library behind the desert canyon one? I would have guessed petra/jordan, but couldn't find anything with a quick google. It's definitely an interesting concept for a book, very much reminding me of the Percy Jackson or perhaps even Neverwhere. The start is fairly simple, someone discovering the secret of a library by accident, or on purpose and getting saved by said librarian with a dagger, and thus you have up to the inciting incident. Beyond that though the story could go in so many directions. I'd read it for sure!

Reply

Amanda Fox
12:47 Apr 30, 2021

The desert one is the Arabian Library in Scottsdale, AZ :) The design is really interesting!

Reply

Josh C
02:10 May 01, 2021

Yeah, I was way off. Looks interesting though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
09:32 Apr 28, 2021

How wonderful, it's like an ode to the magic of libraries. My favourite part was at the end "I pull a dagger from my cardigan sleeve with a smile." Brilliant

Reply

Amanda Fox
16:15 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments - I feel there is a lot more I could tell about this librarian.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
16:26 Apr 28, 2021

Definitely, she has many stories to tell!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Olabisi Joshua
18:05 May 02, 2021

You wrote a good description of library. I enjoyed your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Fox
16:16 Apr 28, 2021

As an author's note: the majority of the libraries described above are actual libraries that exist, and I simply added supernatural explanations. =]

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.