12 comments

Fantasy Friendship Science Fiction

“They can’t do that!” I told John.

The robots were basically taking over the city. They elected a robot mayor too. One week ago they decided to fire a bunch of people and hire robots instead. All the companies fired all the people who did a simple job, like throwing away the trash or fixing cars. I was a software engineer and my friend, John was a car mechanic.  Ever since he got fired, he has been living in my apartment. There were protests against this new change but nothing had been done to change it since the mayor is a robot. John and I went there. Last week the robot mayor decided that they work going to demolish a lot of buildings to build labs to make more robots. John and I order some pizza and turn on the news. There it comes 34 robots recently got hacked and murdered 102 humans. John and I had to investigate. I knew what artificial intelligence was capable of. I told John that we both were going to try to hack one of the mayor’s guards. I got my Macbook Pro out of its black shiny case.  I open it and type in my password. 

“Go get some lemonade Jo,” My eyes were fixed on the screen. 

 The water tasted cold and had a tangy lemon taste. After a few hours of hard work, I hacked it. First I connected 2 Bluetooth VR headsets I realized that the robot’s eyes were 1080 resolution. I can see his whole mansion with these things. The home of the mayor was giant, everything was so empty. I saw a sofa that charges the robot when they sit on it. I commanded the robot to go left, that’s where there was a big hallway. At the end of the hallway was a room that said DO NOT ENTER Private room. I commanded it to open the room. Just thinking about going in there sent shivers down my spine. John’s deep voice ended my thoughts. 

“Are you sure? I think this will catch other robots’ attention.”

“We have to try for the sake of the city,” I tell him.

He was always the more cautious one, always stressing and worrying ever since we were little kids. I commanded the robot to open the door. Inside there was a sign Control Room, it was all dark there were a few lights. I told it to go forward. There were a lot of controls. There was one place where it said security cameras. I looked at a screen that was split into a bunch of screens. Beside it was a detailed map that showed everything, There also was a robot testing room where the robots were tested before use. I focused the eyes on the mayor’s office. I planned to go there next. Next, there was a transportation room that had transportation devices like hoverboards that hovered and energy booster boots. I told him to leave the room and go out of the room. Suddenly invisible motion sensor lights turn on and light the dark hallway. I head towards the mayor’s room. It is a long way there. I was tempted to get an invisible cloak but there was no way I was going to get past those security guards. I would have no excuse. Suddenly, I was caught off guard when another robot pops out of nowhere.  

The robot says “Pay attention, we have to protect the mayor.”

 I command my robot to say “I am paying attention, mind your own business.” Then I hurry to the mayor’s room before any other robots stop me. The door of the mayor’s room is the color of blood red. On the doorknob, there is a place where a have to type a passcode. I have to hack into the systems. 

“I’m getting tired, can we sleep?”

 “You can go to sleep but I’m going to get this robot in the main room and try to figure out his cruel plans.”

“No, you need some rest too, Sam,” John has his stern face on and I know arguing won’t do any good.

I wake up at the crack of dawn and run to John’s bed. We have to sleep in the same room since I never planned him staying for long. I had an extra bed since we have sleepovers often. 

“Wake up John, remember the robot?” I shake him awake. 

He doesn’t budge. I play a loud song on my holographic phone. He wakes up and I tell him to brush because his breath smells. He goes to brush his teeth and until then I set up the computer and VR headsets on again for us to look inside Mayor Robby’s mansion. John comes back and puts on his navy blue headset. I hack into the door and find the password. I have the robot fling open the door, expecting a bunch of robot guards but find it empty. I make the robot open the computer and find it open. I hack into the computer and find out that his messages are to order the robots to kill humans and engineers more and more robots to take over the city. I have to do something. Right then I hear a loud sound through the headset. The mayor is coming through. I have the robot close all the tabs and shut down the monitor. I’m running out of options but I get an idea. Maybe I can have the robot pretend to be guarding the control room. Hopefully, the mayor won’t notice one extra robot. I have it run into the control room panicking. 

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” The floating chair slowly spins around and what I see would have made me jump backward if I were really there. But I wasn’t, I was just looking through the eyes of this hacked robot. But that doesn’t stop me from jumping up in my own chair in my small apartment back at home.

March 19, 2021 06:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Sapphire Whirls
22:14 Apr 09, 2021

Nice story. READ MINE.

Reply

Tanay Jain
17:10 Apr 13, 2021

Wow, great job!! I recommend writing a bit more often

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tanay Jain
23:45 Apr 09, 2021

Sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Riya 🌺
04:14 Mar 25, 2021

Wow! I love this story! There was so much action and adventure in it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
K. M. Carpenter
20:19 Apr 12, 2021

Usually, I'm not a big fan of sci-fi/engineering-type stories, but this one grabbed my attention right away! Although Sam wasn't truly in the mayor's house, you managed to incorporate enough suspense and action to make me feel as if Sam was. Your world-building concept was really interesting, too, with robots taking over and doing jobs that we might usually think only humans could do. You kept the plot moving easily, but I will suggest breaking the paragraphs into smaller sections just because it makes it easier to follow along. In some pa...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Christina Marie
02:29 Apr 10, 2021

Hey Tanay! I'd recommend breaking up the long paragraphs for more digestible chunks. I'd also recommend reading your work out loud to catch any stumbling points and to smooth out the dialogue. Overall a great start. Keep writing and reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lani Lane
23:29 Apr 07, 2021

Hi Tanay, you told me to read your story so here I am! Good start here. I thought this was a creative take on the prompt. Definitely break up the big paragraphs into smaller, more readable chunks. Also work on varying your sentences, especially structure and length. A lot of this directly tells the reader what's happening: This happens. Then this happens. Then this happens. Work on showing instead of telling. For example: "There were a lot of controls. There was one place where it said security cameras." Instead, you could say: "Hundred...

Reply

Tanay Jain
00:06 Apr 09, 2021

Thank you so much for reading my story! I definitely will work on showing instead of telling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
18:35 Apr 03, 2021

Hey! I'm pretty late, you asked me to review your stories a long time ago, but I really enjoyed this work and am ready with some feedback :) The good stuff: - very action packed, the plot never dragged - hints of a really immersive world, with its own laws, ways of working, etc. - the characters were unique and seemed like they had an interesting purpose. Some things to work on: - dialogue was a little off (not very natural, not a lot of back and forth between characters) - try a bit of show don't tell, let the dialogue, emotions, charac...

Reply

Tanay Jain
04:19 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you so much of your time and reading my story!!! I will definitely work on what you said.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:54 Apr 12, 2021

Hey!, yur story was awesome, the characters were unique and the ending was awesome! and I know you know this already, but maybe next time try using show vs tell to make it all more awesome! Happy today!

Reply

Tanay Jain
16:41 Apr 12, 2021

Thank you so much! I will make sure to use your feedback in my next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.