0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Adventure

Roman couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned and prayed but still nothing. He let out a sigh.

"Might as well get up now" He mumbled as he stood up from his small cot in the corner of the room. He carefully made his way to the door stepping over the sleeping forms of his friends. Just as he reached his objective, the door swung open and standing in the doorway was his oldest friend- Sean.

He stared at Sean, his form darkened in the dim light of the lamp that hung in the hallway behind him but not even the darkness could keep his from recognizing the huge form of his friend. Sean had always been the biggest boy. Growing up he had been teased about it but in the most recent years, it had come in handy. Before he could say anything, Sean made a shushing gesturing to the others who were sleeping in the room.

Roman understood what he meant. They needed the sleep. Once it was dawn, there would be no more opportunities to sleep. No more opportunities to rest. There would be only one objective - survive. Sean led him down the hallway past several more doors that held other survivors like him. They walked for another minute until they reached the den.

The den was a large space in the building they were holed up in. It was covered in cushions and chairs and tables. It was officially only meant for meetings, updates on the outside world but everybody hung out at the den. The alternative was to stay in your assigned room. No one liked that so instead the den was the center of Safe Hold.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Sean asked. He was standing in front of the Codex. The Codex was a wall. It had once been blank but someone had taken to carving their name into it with a knife and everyone else had followed suit. Now it was a list of every occupant that had ever stayed at Safe Hold, both past and present. Roman could spot his name hidden in the multitude of names. He had been one of the first to sign his name on it.

"No. I couldn't" Roman replied staring at another name on the wall. Anna.

Sean laughed.

"I figured." He opened the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of coke before making his way to a couch. "You've been waiting for this moment since forever"

Roman watched him carefully as he opened his drink and took a gulp. He had a weird fascination with the fizzy drink. Anyone who touched without his permission would find themselves on the bad side of the giant.

"We've been waiting." Roman replied, emphasizing the we. He turned to face his friend fully. "Don't tell me you've lost hope as well"

"It's not that. I'm just readying myself for any possible reality."

"A reality where Anna is dead?"

Sean shrugged. "Look. She's been out there for a month. She could have wandered out into the mist. It could have gotten her"

"No. Anna is smart. She knows the mist is dangerous. She'll hole up somewhere safe and wait. Wait for us to get to her"

"I'm not denying she's smart but it's dangerous out there. Anything could have happened. Some monster could have gotten her"

"The monsters only come out when the mist clears. The mist only clears once every.."

"Every thirty days I know"

"Then why are you talking like this? Listen, we have a chance here. The mist clears for one day. One day. That's our chance. We've been preparing for today. Training for the last thirty days. Now it's here." Roman pushed himself into the seat beside Sean. "We can do this"

Sean didn't reply. He didn't meet Roman's gaze either but rather kept his focus on the bottle of coke between his palms. Roman placed his hand on Sean's. Sean turned to face him.

"Everyone else thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about it. For even thinking of fighting those monsters but it's for Anna. She's stuck out there alone. She's been safe this past thirty days because of the mist but it's gonna clear up today. She doesn't stand a chance against those monsters. This is our only chance to save her."

"What if we fail" Sean suddenly asked. "What if we get there and she's dead? What if the monsters get to her first? What if we die on the way? What if.." He took a deep breath " What if we fail?"

"We won't" Roman assured. "I won't let us fail. Anna's counting on us"

Sean nodded eventually, his fears assuaged temporarily. He stood up handing his drink to Roman. "I think I'm going to sleep now. I have to be at a hundred percent tomorrow" He shot Roman a grin and made his way out of the den.

"That's cold."

Roman looked behind him to see a woman sitting at one of the tables. She gestured to where Sean left through.

"Using his love for Anna against him. I thought you were his friend"

"How long have you been sitting there?"

She shrugged. "It doesn't matter. You're avoiding the question."

"You didn't ask one"

"Are you his friend?"

"I am." Roman said slumping in his chair "I'm only doing what is necessary to make sure that we all survive."

"By tricking your friends out and using them as bait"

Roman stood up suddenly and turned to face her. "You know as much as I do that we need this. Those monsters. The mist. Every thing that's gone wrong with the world. It's all because of him"

He paused catching his breath before he continued.

"And having Sean, his brother out in the open is too much a temptation for him not to come out. And when he does, I can finally end all this. You of all people should understand this. It's for the greater good."

"Of course. For the greater good." The woman said. She stood up. "That's the same exact line he used to quote. Look where that has brought us. A world at war. Humanity on the brink of extinction. All for the greater good"

"I am not like him" Roman said. His eyes narrowed at her accusation. "I'm better than him"

"I never said you were like him. All I know that the path to hell is always paved with good intentions" She started to leave the den but stopped at the entrance. She turned to face him, their eyes locking across the room. "Did you ever intend to save Anna? Or did you let her get stuck out there as part of your plan?"

Roman kept silent, his eyes on hers.

"I thought as much." With that said, she walked out of the den.

Roman looked at the darkened hallway she disappeared into. She didn't understand. None of them did. He had a chance to change everything. To make everything right. One single opportunity. He wasn't going to waste it.

June 08, 2021 17:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.