My story is entitled Dr. Kwame Nkrumah returned to his hometown Nkroful.

Written in response to: Write a story in which someone returns to their hometown.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

My story is entitled Dr. Kwame Nkrumah returned to his hometown Nkroful. Once upon a time, there lived a young man by name Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, who was born on the 21st September, 1901. He attended Achimota School formerly known as the Prince of Wales school and became the first President of Ghana. He then continued his education to Lincoln University for his University degree. On his return to his hometown Nkroful he helped Ghana to gain Independence from the British. Due to this Dr. Kwame Nkrumah became the first President of Ghana. Also Dr. Kwame Nkrumah knew the essence of education so he helped in establishing a village school in Nkroful. Again when Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and the missionaries first invited the elders of Nkroful village and the other villages around it including Avema to a meeting to talk about a school, they refused to attend the meeting actually. The questions that were asked by Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and the missionaries were probing and astute. The main reason why they refused to attend the meeting in regards to establishing a school was because they did not want any school in the village. Also they commented and argued with Dr. Kwame Nkrumah that the establishment of a school within the village will lead to a waste of some future farm hands. It was at this moment that Dr. Kwame Nkrumah realized that they were all illiterates. Dr. Kwame Nkrumah also knew that Education was the key to success. In addition Dr. Kwame Nkrumah established a school for disadvantaged children. The inhabitants of the village Nkroful argued that what use is a man who can possibly read and write on a farm? They knew that Avema had plenty of farm lands and they mainly cultivate rice. However their land was not actually fertile due to this the inhabitants of the village had to work extremely hard to get crops from their farm lands. The village of Nkroful that was Dr. Kwame Nkrumah hometown had no industries. It was Dr. Kwame Nkrumah who helped in establishing factories in the Nkroful village. As noted Dr. Kwame Nkrumah helped established a Shoe factory, Sugar factory, Salt factory, and Canned fish factory. The women of Nkroful often did a little trading in their hometown to earn a living and to fend for themselves. The inhabitants of Nkroful knew about the importance of acquiring land, due to this land meant almost everything to them. They knew that land can help them to build their own houses and also acquire their own farms. It was noted that their whole life, religion, customs and their livelihood was actually based on it. Also many of their people who left the village Nkroful to large towns like Accra experienced and saw a different kind of life. This was because they could neither read nor write they found out that they could not get good jobs. These people known as the inhabitants of Nkroful were only employed as labourers and some sort of load carriers. It was noted also that it was too late for some of them to actually go to school. Others sent letters to the missionaries and Dr. Kwame Nkrumah begged them to actually open a school for their children in Avema another town. They mentioned that education was a waste of time but they now realized that mere importance of education. Also because of these letters the missionaries Dr. Kwame Nkrumah realized the need to build another school at Avema apart from Nkroful the hometown of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Some elders and other old men did not see the need to establish a school at Avema. These elders and other old men stopped the members of their family from attending the school. Again Dr. Kwame Nkrumah who happens to be the first Head teacher by then was a native of Nkroful his hometown that was about hundred miles from Avema. The Head teacher Dr. Kwame Nkrumah was well learned, very huge and tall in his appearance. Also the Head teacher Dr. Kwame Nkrumah was in his late fifties and a lover of children. He often gives gifts, educate and organize events for these children. Also Dr. Kwame Nkrumah gave scholarship to some of these children to travel overseas to study abroad. In addition although some of the inhabitants of the village of Nkroful practiced polygamous marriage and had several wives , he was a strict Christian due to that he had only one wife. Also Dr. Kwame Nkrumah had three young children of his own that includes Sekou Nkrumah, Samia Nkrumah. Again Dr. Kwame Nkrumah who was from Nkroful got married to an Egyptian lady by name Fathia Nkrumah. The young man Dr.Kwame Nkrumah helped the children of his newly established school to excel in their examinations due to the fact that this method of teaching brought about the best in his students. Most of his students came out in flying colours during examinations and were awarded with cash prizes and other scholarships. Finally Dr. Kwame Nkrumah was paid a salary at the end of the month since he was the Head teacher by then. He found it almost difficult to maintain a family of six on his salary. Due to this he started writing books as an Author to increase his salary and extra income. Later he studied Political science and then pursued a career in Politics where he became the first President of Ghana. Lastly Dr. Kwame Nkrumah started a large farm, where he cultivated plantain, yam, and other vegetables in his hometown in Nkroful where school children often helped him. Also due to the help of his large farm he often exported his crops that includes yam and vegetables to other countries in order to earn foreign exchange for the country and also to earn a livelihood to fend for himself and his family including the community at large. However his farm land provided employment to both the inhabitants of Nkroful and Avema so that they will earn for themselves wages and salary in order to fend for themselves and also pay the school fees of their children.

September 22, 2022 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.