2 comments

Adventure Kids

Note: This story was really rushed and it didn't really have a point but I hope it's still...well...okay to read. 😶✌



Bella and Kelly were in the library. It was school break and they had a whole week to do fun activities but here they were, in a boring library.


“Why are we in a library in the first place?” grumbled Kelly.


“Because the swimming pool is full and the park is closed,” said Bella.


“Let’s go, I don’t want to spend today in a library,” said Kelly.


“Ssh!” whispered Miss Faser the librarian.


“Okay, but where are we going to go?”


“Anywhere,”


Bella and Kelly stopped outside the doors.


“Let’s go to the ice-cream shop?” suggested Bella.


“Ooh yeah! I haven’t had ice cream in a long time,” 


They walked to Mr Poppy’s Ice-Cream Shop, famous for its bubble gum ice cream with gummy bears.


‘Hmm, I would like a chocolate ice cream with cherry syrup,” said Kelly. “Topped with chopped hazelnuts and mashed banana. Oh and gummy bears too!”


“Yuck,” remarked Belle.


“It’s not yuck it’s yum,”


“I’ll have vanilla with chocolate chips,” said Bella.


They paid for their ice-creams walked over to a bench. They sat down and enjoyed their ice-creams.


                            🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦


“I’m bored,” said Kelly.


They were back in the library. After eating their ice creams, a boy told them he had seen an iguana in the library and they had gone to check it out but it wasn’t true of course. They decided to spend the afternoon in the library only because Miss Faser was giving everyone jam tarts.


“Aah! Fire, fire!” 


A man rushed into the library, his face, black and his clothes, sooty.


“Fire! Please help!”


Bella and Kelly ran outside and saw a building on fire. It was the bank. A gang of thieves had stolen as much money as they could stuff into their sacks and they threw a bomb into one of the bank vaults which started the fire.


Bella recognized the man as Mr Sam, the banker. Surprisingly, no one thought to call the fire department. There was a telephone booth not far away. Bella immediately ran to the booth and dialled the fire department.


 The fire department came in no time and solved the problem. Unable to think of anything to do, Bella and Kelly went back to the library.


                            🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦


“Why do we always end up in the library,” said Kelly flipping through a magazine.


“I don’t know but it looks like we might spend the whole week in here,”


“Ugh no!” said Kelly.


“Okay,” said Bella, not really paying attention because she was so absorbed in the book she was reading.


“Are you even listening?”


“Don’t bother me. Go get a book,”


  Half-heartedly, Kelly went to find a book. She searched all the sections but all the books were either about math or cookbooks. Suddenly she spotted something shiny between two cookbooks. She pulled it out and it turned out to be a gold hard-covered book. It was entitled ‘Why You Keep Coming Here’.


  Kelly thought it was just an ordinary book and brought back the book to the table to read it. 


“Where did you get that book?” asked Bella.


“In the cooking section,” replied Kelly.


 She opened the first page. It had weird scribbles. Suddenly, Kelly knew all the contents of the book without reading the rest of its pages. She walked to the cooking section. Bella thought that was a little suspicious so she followed Kelly.


“What?” asked Bella.


Kelly put back the book in between the two cookbooks. She tapped the book two times and then took it out again. The bookshelf vanished and a portal suddenly appeared.


“What in the…”s said Bella in awe.


Bella and Kelly stepped into the portal, holding hands.

The portal closed with Bella and Kelly and the bookshelf sealed it closed. And the gold book was gone as well.







April 29, 2021 06:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
23:42 Apr 30, 2021

A nice simple read which can be more enjoyable than the ones writers try to put their smarts to. End up like eating a dry piece of toast. Well done and one that can continue on

Reply

12:48 May 02, 2021

Thank you! I thought the story would be a flop. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.