Tusks and Daggers Part Twenty-Two: The Dark Gift of Sacrifice

Written in response to: End your story with a character receiving a deeply meaningful gift they weren’t expecting.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

The morning sun peeked over the mountains, the orange coloring the water neck to us.  Packing up the last of our supplies and smoked fish, King Scarlet licked the side of Darwin’s face. The dragons carried out a golden leather saddle, my breath hitching at the beautiful details in the edge. Placing it on Mina’s back, it had a knob for Darwin to hold onto. Walking up to the two of them, a growl thundered from his large snout. Resting his claw on my head, his eyes bore into mine. A deep respect passed between us, our understanding of each other now at a whole new level.  

“Don’t be a stranger.” He thundered warmly, kissing the top of my head. “You are family after all. Take care of Darwin for me, and your little bundle in you. May we have the future where my kind no longer has to hide. Sometimes I feel like this place is more like a prison cell. Shifting through my bag, the biggest ruby caught my eye. Pressing it into his paw, his eyes met my wet eyes. Darwin skipped to my side, he blew a midnight black smoke heart into the sky. A tender blush rose to my cheek, all of our precious moments together getting put away in my mental photo album.

“We better get going before the storm.” I squeaked out, part of me just wanting to live here. “I promise to visit two times a month at least once all is said and done.” Kissing the tops of our heads one last time, Darwin leapt onto the saddle. Climbing on after him, all of the dragons shouting goodbyes as we took off into the sky. Our hair flew back, his golden eyes twinkling with adventure. Yeah, this is how his life should have always been. Wrapping his arms around Mina’s neck, the two of them chatted in a friendly manner. Boran waved up at me, a huge grin on his lips. Landing gracefully, a cloud of dirt obscured us. Helping Darwin down, everyone watched curiously as he stepped forward. Dread bubbled in my stomach, wondering how everyone else was going to take the news.

“Hello!” He chirped cheerfully, spinning around. “I am Darwin, her new son!” Boran’s face paled, a lump forming in his throat. Somata popped up behind me, crouching down to Darwin’s level. The two of them shooting daggers into each other’s eyes, my hands wrapping around the tops of their heads. Getting down to their level, rage turned to terror. My scary stare could cut anyone down with the use of violence, my deepest desire is that everyone would just get along.

“I suggest you get along with your nephew, big brother.” I ordered darkly, his long white hair dancing in the breeze. “He is as fun loving as you. So be the fun uncle you were always destined to be. Play nice while I talk to my dear Boran.” Running into his arms, he spun me around. Panic contorted his face, his hands sliding down to my bump. Sir Acorn scurried up my shoulder, an acorn already waiting in between my ring finger and thumb. Accepting his gift, the twins and their girls began to fuss over Darwin. Gasps of wonder escaped his lips, Merlin performing simple parlor tricks. Maryanna rolled her eyes, barely able to contain the joy in her eyes. Sir Acorn kissed my cheek, scarlet tinted my cheeks. Their loyalty to me shocked me, I truthfully wasn't deserving of it.

“Why did you come back with a kid?” Boran queried oddly, kissing my forehead. “I don’t mind taking care of him, but a bit of warning would have sufficed.” Tears welled up in my eyes, the memory of his trembling body behind me when his father almost beating him ripped apart my heart. Swallowing the lump in my throat, he deserved an explanation. Cupping his face, his kind eyes gazed lovingly into mine. That was the moment I knew that it was all going to be okay, my tired grin meeting his crooked grin.

“I had to buy him from his abusive father to rescue him. He wanted me to be his mom , so I said yes.” I blurted out awkwardly, his lips pressing sensually into mine. My hands dropped to my side, time freezing. For a minute it was just us, a tiny hand pulling on the hem of my dress. Darwin watched Boran anxiously, his arms spinning him around. Placing him on his shoulders, the connection was instant. My heart fluttered at the sight of the two of them, Somata leaning on my shoulder. Blowing into my ear, my fist swung in his direction. Catching it mid-punch, he lowered my hand. His white cotton blouse fluttered in the early morning breeze, his wool pants ripped at the hems. His brothers ran up to me, Kanama and Karama wearing the same thing as their brother. Twisting their hair into a bun, a couple of the smoked fish hung out of their mouths. Unable to tell them apart, Mary and Kara smashed into me.  Their green hair tickled my chin, their eyes glittering with excitement. Fresh white robes tickled my bare legs, a dot glowing on the map. Having all three of them hanging off of me made my heart skip a beat, this level of friendship fresh and exciting.

“That dot is only two days’ journey from now.” Mary pointed out excitedly, Kara rolling her eyes. “Let’s go save those folks!” Cocking their heads, Boran and Darwin chased each other around. Somata chuckled in my ear, his crooked grin matching mine.  

“He really is like a big child sometimes, isn’t it.” He teased lightly, pointing to the eyeball in my scythe. “Is that really Dackworth? What kind of a journey do you go on?” Shoving them all off of me, now wasn’t the time for a story. Picking up the campsite, the sun and moon rose two times. A quaint village lay quietly in front of us, the eerie silence unsettling. Watching for any signs of life, Darwin sat on my shoulders. Gazing ahead, he pointed towards a strange purple circle in the ground. Setting Darwin down next to Merlin and Maryanna, curious looks passed between us. Cupping his hands, a sadness dimmed his eyes. 

“Merlin and Maryanna will protect you.” I promised sweetly, tears welling up in his eyes. “Remember what I taught you. Picture the flames if you have to. Be a good boy!” Running towards the purple circle, Boran’s black wool shirt tickled my skin as the rest of us jumped into the hole. Hot air lashed at our pale skin, all of us landing gracefully. Untying my scythe from my back, my eyes scanned the large sea of purple orchids. Something felt off, all of our weapons in our eager palms. Several demonic creatures waited behind Lord Kanama, a flash of violet caught my eyes. Metal petals whizzed past our heads, a couple of Kanama’s creatures crashing to the ground. Ivory robes floated around her, her snow white hair flying behind her porcelain face.  Raising her fans again, Mary and Kara dropped to the ground. Panic gripped my mind, Kanama and  Karama falling forward into a heap.  

“What kind of spell is this?” Boran demanded sleepily, the pollen drifting aimlessly. “I feel so sle-” Another cloud of pollen floated by me the moment he fell to his knees. A bright light blinded me, green armor folding all over me. The emerald helmet sat in my palm, this proved to be my only option. Placing the simple helmet over my head, the clear visor showing me where her core was. Yet it didn't exist. Hearing Dackworth’s voice relaxed me a bit, his snide tone ringing in my ear. 

“This is my gift to you. It is a special armor, alas it won’t hold up for long.” He warned firmly, my vision blurring. “It sucks out your magical energy, so don’t be stupid about this.” Nodding my head in a common agreement with him, my scythe didn’t seem as heavy.  Swinging it above my head, blue flames swirled up my arm. Dodging her petals, it proved rather evident all that she lacked in close combat. Charging at her, Dackworth began to chant one of his unfamiliar spells. My chest burned, my heart screaming out in protest. Her metal petals bounced off of my armor, the visor guiding my attacks. Dodging my swings, her bare foot slammed into my chest. Smashing me into a nearby mountain, the chocolate brown rock crumbling over my head. Rolling down the rock, blood poured from my eyes and nose. Struggling to stand, there had to be another way. 

“What’s her deal?” I barked bitterly, Dackworth rolling his eyes. “How can I win? You seem to know more than I do.” Evil laughter erupted in my ears, a pair of mismatched hands guiding my scythe.  Launching into the air, the two of us became lights in the dreary gray sky. Each strike cracked my armor, my heel knocking her fans out of her hands. An unnatural screech exploded from her lips, the fans shattering the moment they smashed into the  sea of orchids. 

“You don’t get it!” She screamed shrilly in my face, her fists slamming into my jaw. Rubbing my jaw, my strength surpassed hers. Slamming my heel into her chest, a flurry of petals danced into the air upon her impact. Landing gracefully next to her, my palm pressed against the ground. The purple orchids changed into blue roses, my armor folding back into my scythe. Sitting on top of her, her hardened face refusing to reveal her emotions. Silvery eyes trembled with terror, the rest of her face remaining like a rock.  

“I don’t get what!” I shouted venomously, her eyebrow twitching. “You can talk about anything with me. Hell I will let you live if you tell me where the black heart is hidden. It isn’t in you, so where is it!” Pointing to an abandoned barn in the distance, she coughed up a severe amount of blood. Guilt gnawed at me, blood pooling around her head. Fuck! My blade had sliced her throat. Taking a deep breath, I needed to save her. If she died, we would all be trapped here for an eternity. Scarlet dyed her hair, hand hovering over her throat. 

“Save this soul, and bind her to me!” I called out confidently, blue light sealing the throat would shut.  “Let’s go, whoever you are. I have a feeling you thought I was the monster in the situation. After this if you hate me, then you can go on your merry way.” Yanking to her feet, my fingers snapped. Two periwinkle fans spun in my palms, blue rose petals floating into the breeze.  Tossing them to her, a blue rose tattoo appeared on her neck. Dirt crunched underneath our boots, my friends still trapped underneath the rich sleeping spell. Crashing into the barn, the white haired petite woman cowered behind me. Black slimy vines covered the walls, a squishy lump throbbed in the corner. A wet noise shattered the still air, one red eye looking down at me. My face grew paler, cold sweat dripping off of my brow. This level of difficulty was only going to make everything so much worse, my attention on saving this strange spirit behind me. Launching itself off of the wall, the mystery woman gave me  a stunning lack of aid. Smashing it back, vines crept towards my boots. 

“I am Orchid!” She introduced herself proudly over the chaos, flicking her wrists. “I am your servant, and soldier. I stand here today to fight by your side.” The numb look in her eyes frightened me, my back cracking echoing the moment she launched off of my back. Flicking her wrist once more, blue orchid petals bought me some time. Jumping from petal to petal, my armor folding back over my skin. 

“Run when I tell you to.” I yelled over the crinkling of the roots, the red eye watching the moment I was inches from it. “Mina! Grant me the power to strike down the evil eye inches from me. Run!” Refusing to run, she cut down the vines getting in my way. Spinning my scythe over my head, the red eye launched itself in my direction. Slamming the tip of my blade into the sea of scarlet, blue vines and flames pouring into the center. 

“Final step!” I ordered pointedly, Orchid watching with her mouth agape. “Free this personal space from its dark Hell! Cover up your ears!” Placing her fingers in her ears, blood poured from my ears as an earth shattering screech shattered the musty air.  Blue flames devoured the eyes, the eye decaying into blue rose petals. Crashing to the ground, a black heart fell into my palm.  Gripping it tightly, blue flames ate the tiny heart. My eyes fell on Orchid, her five foot two body trembling at my feet. A sour look dimmed her beauty, the black ash slipping through my fingers. Lifting up her chin with my finger, her tough face fought back the tears. Cuts covered her glass skin, blood pouring from her wounds. My heart shattered at the sight of her, tears welling up in my eyes.

“I don’t deserve you for a master.” She wept softly, ugly tears pouring from her eyes. “My other master ditched me here, my hatred growing that stupid thing. I didn’t have a name, so I saw these flowers named orchids. I thought it was beautiful.” Ruffling the top of her head, my armor folded back into my scythe. My bloody fingers were  busy tying it to my back, her big silver eyes watching me with a tender lack of trust. Offering her my hand, she was a spirit guide. Tears streamed down my cheeks, confusion dawning on her face. Taking my hand cautiously, her delicate fingers wrapping around mine.  

“I cry for your loss but let it be known to you. I vow to protect you as you protect me.” I promised warmly, watching her turn back towards the sky. The circle was closing, her smile fading. Her form glitched, her magic fading. Ruffling the top of my head, she clapped her hands. My lips parted in protest, her sad eyes flooding with fresh tears. 

“Thank you. I can rest in peace now. Get out of here with your friends.” Orchid sobbed quietly, rubbing my hand against her cold cheek. “The feeling of human flesh is so nice. Leave now! I am going to give my last of my life to destroy this realm. Goodbye Lottie.” My tears flowed harder, the sense of hopelessness drowning me.  Holding up her palm, a gust of wind blasted me on top of my friends. Violet orchid petals swirled around us, my tears soaking the loose dirt beneath me. Blasting up into the air, short groans tumbled from my lips as I crashed into a tree. My friends rolled to my boots, the circle growing smaller. My vision blurred, the dirt crunching with each crawl. Gazing down the hole, she waved back up at me. 

“Good night,my friend!” She called out cheerfully, tears flooding from her eyes. “I will always remember you.” The hole sealed shut, the ground quaking with a large explosion. Digging into the dirt did nothing, her name exploding from my lips.  

“Orchid!” I screeched bitterly into the twinkling night sky, Darwin slamming into me. “Hey kiddo. I am fine. Don’t worry about me.” Shaking his head, clutching me close to his tiny chest as another wail burst from my lips. My tears soaked his shoulders, his gentle smile the only thing keeping me sane at the moment. Why did this have to keep happening? Nothing was worth so much death, the others stirring awake. Wiping away my tears, his tiny face nestled itself into the nape of my neck. 

“No matter what hell the world puts you through I will always be there.” He whispered lovingly, the others watching on in horror. “You are my mommy, and I can’t stand to see you cry. Sacrifice is what others give to you. Honor her with a laugh, and a smile.” His words were so wise, his grip loosening. My arms dropped to my side, sweet slumber sweeping me away. 

November 19, 2022 06:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.