6 comments

Historical Fiction Drama Thriller

As I stood there and looked up at that 961 metre building; second to none; that had always been a gold mine, close to my heart; my feelings were inexpressible. Every single corner of its magnificent beauty was breathtaking. Graceful white lotus flowers were lined up near the fence as they danced with the blowing wind. The princely gates were covered with the most magnificent and lavish colors surrounded by marble linings. Inside, there was such intricate work done; the silver and gold patched walled alleys had such deep meaning and I could feel an intense connection as I strolled along the lavishly ornate walls. Oh, it was such a tranquil sight! But before going on, let’s just take a little step back in time. 

It was an expansive labyrinthine with 9,999 rooms, completed in the 15th century by one million workers. It has been an old saying from my ancestor who said; “If a newborn spends one day in each room, they will be 27 years old until they reach every single room.” Well, Emperor Tien wanted to build a palace; similar to none and attractive in its own way; as a household and political discussion area for the eight emperors ruling the Dynasty and Emperor Tien himself. This building was given the name “The Forbidden City”, as the name depicts no one was permitted to enter this building except the emperors, their families, and their 600 slaves each. 

Whoever hears the story of the Forbidden City thinks about it as a very opulent and peaceful place, however, there is a very dark side to it. As they say, never judge a book by its cover. So let me uncover the story for you today. 

It was a day in the 15th century in the “Forbidden City”. As known, all of the emperors were tyrant and cruel. Have we ever seen a dynasty that would treat their servants any better? No, well, at least not in the 15th century. It was as if the slaves were nothing but puppets and they had no life. Once on a terrible night, 2100 servants were brutally murdered; why? Just because they were thought of as disrespectful or as humiliating the so-known honour of the emperor. Moreover, innocent children as young as 13 were rented, split, ripped, and torn to shreds, but there was no one to voice out for anyone. 

The emperors also conducted extensive purges and executed almost everyone who did not fit in their category of “perfect”. If any official, senior or junior, would mistakenly disagree with the emperor; this would usually result in being given a beating in front of the assembled court officials. Long, hard, rigid bamboo sticks were hit, at least 50 strokes to each one. 

Women, not even to start on that. Empresses would give at least 100 beating with canes to the women slaves, not because they did something wrong but just out of their own leisure. Every girl born was supposed to be reported and at a particular age had to “enjoy” life as a slave. If the parents would not report, well, all that happened was further barbarism and killing. This was the condition inside the “Forbidden City”.

Life was in hot water for everyone; unpleasant, difficult, demanding, and punishing. This was all being observed by a little child, living with his father who was the captain of the armed forces, the child was Fei Hong. Fei Hong was someone special. When he was born, his grandmother said, “Le, allow me to say, Fei shall make thee proud someday, I wot he is capable of being an emperor, help him to build up!” Who knew, grandma’s words would shine out someday. Fei practiced tough with his father, he was determined to be successful, to make a change for the better. His father could see the diligent and confident Fei, that was when Fei’s father signed a contract stating that Fei would become the captain military officer after the father passes away or is retired from his post. 

By the time Fei was 20, things only got worse. His father was imprisoned, there was no one to lead the military, the Emperors were never really concerned about them, their happiness was just murder. This was until Fei got the news of his father’s death because of getting 100 strokes by the bamboo sticks; he was too old to bear that. This was all just fun for the Emperors, but for Fei, for Fei this was incredulous, nothing could stop him from getting his revenge, the revenge that was for the sake of his father, revenge that would be the end, revenge whose history would pass down through his generations. Fei was now the captain. That’s when things took a u-turn. 

Fei made the armies work harder, become stronger and with that, he had the whole armed force on his side. Now it was time to get the slaves from the palace in action. He sent a secret messenger sneaking into the building as a slave and the word of the new military officer giving away 10,000 Renminbi to all of the slaves if they follow his instructions, spread like wildfire. Well, everyone was exhausted and tired from the emperors. Now it was action time! 

It was known that the families of the 8 emperors and the emperors themselves would come together and have a huge feast on xīngqīliù. Well, we could call it the day when all tyrant people come together and that was Fei’s lucky golden jackpot. This feast was made by the “perfect” slaves of the emperors, well, who knew that these slaves did not define “perfect” anymore. They added poison into each and every dish, mixed with such a combination of spices from the wild that would make you obsessive over the food. As xīngqīliù ended, the days of the emperors started to end as well. By morning, they were all inebriated; Fei took this chance, released a contract that if all emperors are not capable of being the head, the military officers get the charge, he strolled into the building with his contract, of course, the emperors were too intoxicated to understand what was happening. Fei shrieked; “Oh thy highness, 'i  regard to thy respect, I would crave thou to sign this contract for thy benefit”. The emperor was too indulged in his own self to care about the contract or give Fei some beating. The contract was signed. 

A few days later, the news of two emperors passing away spread out. Well, they never moved out from their rooms for once, that's what laziness does to you. Fei’s plan had come into action. At that particular moment in time, Britain’s power was at its peak and they had some good associations with Fei, especially the British Navy Officer, Richard Clerk, who was a fan of Fei’s achievements. Fei basically had another armed force behind his back. In communication with Richard, Fei welcomed the British forces to the hub of the military in China. Here, they had some cups of tea and a high-class discussion about ending the reign of the emperors. Tomorrow was show-time.

As the day came to a start the wave of military forces, led by Fei and Richard, rolled into the Forbidden City destroying everything in their way. Well, why would anyone even stop them? That was until they reached the emperors, who were still intoxicated by the “appetizing” food that they had. The forces took them and their families into custody. 

That was when everything settled down and came at peace. Fei showed out the contract that the emperor had signed about giving the reign to the military officer and the people of Beiping had a new, generous, better, wiser and, cleverer emperor; Emperor Fei Hong. Wasn’t grandma correct? 

Now, let me come back to where I was; in the 21st Century. But how do I know about all this? Emperor Fei Hong was my ancestor and this story has been passed down through generations, which is the cause of the “Forbidden City” being so close to my heart. By the 20th Century, when the reign ended and the government came in, this building wasn’t forbidden anymore, it was opened for all tourists. 

Whenever I enter the building, I can actually feel the scenario in front of my eyes, the emperors beating the slaves, armed forces fighting, the chaos, and then Fei as the emperor. It was all thanks to Emperor Fei that a peaceful atmosphere returned to Beiping, now originally known as Beijing. Things truly can flip upside down, who knows probably there’s another Emperor coming up?

March 18, 2021 12:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Nina Chyll
15:39 Mar 25, 2021

I couldn't help but read it like a Wikipedia article because of all the semicolons. I'd get rid of all of them. 'Well, Emperor Tien wanted to build a palace; similar to none and attractive in its own way; as a household and political discussion area for the eight emperors ruling the Dynasty and Emperor Tien himself' - 'Well, Emperor Tien wanted to build a palace, similar to none and attractive in its own way, to serve both as a household and an area for political discussion for all eight emperors ruling the Dynasty together with Emperor Tien...

Reply

Yumna Iqbal
19:00 Mar 25, 2021

Hi, thank you for reading my story and for your view. It's just that the use of semicolons helps to create a sense of interest and is an important element of a complex sentence structure, which forms the basis of a narrative. This also engages the reader and commas do not usually play the same role as semicolons which is why a semicolon deemed suitable in many sentences as compared to the use of a comma. However, I really do appreciate you stopping by and going through my story and for your suggestion. Thanks :)

Reply

Nina Chyll
19:28 Mar 25, 2021

Lots of the semicolons you used go against rules of interpunction, like all the ones in the example I worked on. So they create the exact opposite effect - instead of adding intrigue, they form into an obstacle.

Reply

Yumna Iqbal
11:10 Mar 26, 2021

Thanks, I appreciate your recommendations and will develop on that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mehere Sohail
20:03 Mar 20, 2021

OH MY GOD- THIS STORY- MY FAVOURITE STORY I HAVE READ ALL OVER REEDSY Suspense, history, drama, action, thrill; everything you want is here!! GREAT JOB :)

Reply

Yumna Iqbal
19:02 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you for reading through the story :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.