A frivolous lie

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction People of Color Romance

Mike reminded himself to stay cool. He could only make things worse if he tried to intervene. As he was lay in his bed, alone and in the dark, he muttered his mantra under his breath, "Let nature take its course. Let God have His way. Let nature take its course. Let God..." He trailed off and was fast asleep.

When he woke up the next day, he was in a better frame of mind. It seems his self-hypnosis had worked. He did not need to chant his mantra again. He felt at ease with his surroundings and stoic about any circumstances that might have otherwise thrown him off track. He was confident that he could be indifferent to any type of situation that could arise.

He dragged his lean, athletic body to the bathroom and took a long, cold shower, singing an opera, out of key but maintaining the rhythm. He was studying music in college. He excelled in composition, had a gift for improvisation, was naturally talented in playing various instruments, but melody had never been his strong suit.

He went back to his room and dressed in khaki pants, a silk shirt, and a polyester sweater. He took his leather bag and strutted to the kitchen in his black dress shoes.

Charlie was the first to say hello. "Good morning, Mike? How was your night, Mike?" Charlie said. Mike did not bother to reply. He waved his hand like he was greeting a distant stranger. The only difference is that this stranger had been living in their home for the past three months, rent-free.

Charlie grabbed three large pancakes from the plate laid at the center of the dining table and put them on his plate. He then applied a generous amount of maple syrup to each of the pancakes. He bit a mouthful and chugged it down with some mango juice. He finished the pile of pancakes with a few bites. He let out a loud belch to indicate his satisfaction. He left the dining room in sort of a sprint.

"I bet he is going to shit in my toilet," Mike thought. He pictured it in his mind. He was too grossed out to eat. He poured himself a glass of milk and sat there swirling it in the glass for a few minutes. He was waiting for his appetite to return.

''Let nature take its course. Let God have His way," he whispered softly to himself.

His mother walked into the kitchen mid-chant. "Has Charlie eaten his breakfast?" she asked.

Mike was alarmed that the first person on his mother's mind, was someone who had been a mere stranger three months ago. Now he was the center of this small universe, with everything revolving around him.

**********

It had all started in December when the Ufanisi Music School students had left the campus and went home for the Christmas holidays. Mike was in the dorm packing when Charlie - a fellow schoolmate - entered his cubicle.

"Hey bro, what's up?" Charlie asked.

Mike: "Uh, nothing much. Just packing up."

Charlie: "Where to?"

Mike: "Tampa."

Charlie: "Tampa? I live in Bethtown, which is about 3 hours past Tampa. My parents are not home this weekend. Do you mind if I crash at your place before I head home?"

Mike: (hesitantly) Uh...Uhm...yeah...sure buddy.

Charlie: (excitedly) Gimme a few mins to get a-packing.

**********

As soon as Charlie left the room, Mike called his mother. On the third ring, she picked up.

"Hey, son."

"Hi, Mum."

"Are you coming home for the holidays?"

"Yeah, mum, and I am bringing someone with me."

"Ooh, who is this person you are bringing home?"

"Just a schoolmate. His name is Charlie. He lives in Bethtown but his folks are not home. He asked me if he can stay in our home until Monday. Is that okay?"

"Sure. I don't have a problem. Let me prepare the guest room before you arrive. What time do you think you can get here?"

"5 PM."

"Alright, son. See you then. Love you."

"Okay, bye mother."

**********

Mike and Charlie boarded the Tampa metro. They didn't have much in common. Charlie was studying Sound Engineering while Mike wanted to be a composer. They barely knew each other. They lived in the same dormitory and given the small population in Ufanisi Music School, everyone knew each other. However, they had never talked. Their interactions had never gone beyond that occasional wave or nod of recognition when they passed each other in school corridors.

Now they sat in uncomfortable silence all the way to Tampa. When they arrived home, Mike's sister spotted them from her bedroom window and ran down the stairs, out the door, and into the street to meet him. Mike was jubilant to see his sister. It had been an entire semester without contact. They hugged for what seemed like a long time to Charlie.

Charlie was later introduced to the family. Mike's sister helped Charlie settle in the guest room. When they sat at the dining table for dinner, Mike informed everybody that Charlie was just a schoolmate and he would be here just for the weekend, and Monday morning he would be gone.

Monday mornings came and went, and Charlie camped in Mike's home.

In January, when Mike went back to school, Charlie stayed behind. Charlie lived in Mike's home and commuted to school every day.

**********

The circumstances that had started out as a frivolous lie had become Mike's daily torment.

Charlie had become a part of the family. Mike's mother and sister both liked him. They pleaded with him to stay when he was supposed to leave.

Charlie was naive and slow-witted, but he was also friendly, thoughtful, and steadfast. Although it was clear to Mike and his family that he was not very smart, they also occasionally acknowledged that he sometimes had clever ideas, usually driven by common sense.

Charlie was also good with his hands and helped the family fix electrical and plumbing issues. He was also a good storyteller and his stories were frequently punctuated by humor that sent people reeling with laughter. The family loved his practicality, his charm, and his creative gifts.

Charlie was also fond of food and was great at giving compliments to the people who prepared the food - either Mike's mother or sister. He was also very social and he often chose to spend his time with one or both of them. He habitually talked with Mike's mother or sister, looking for a snack or an audience for his stories as much as for companionship. They in turn liked him for his kind-heartedness and friendliness.

In contrast, Mike was quiet and stoic. He preferred to spend his time in solitude, composing songs. He was a light-eater and often forgot to praise his mother or sister for their real or imaginary exemplary cooking skills. He was unsocial and cold. He was very smart but did not have a mind for practical matters.

Mike felt a tinge of jealousy when he gradually realized that he was competing with Charlie for his family's attention. And he was losing. Charlie was being treated like a hero. His every wish and whim was catered for. He didn't even have to ask for clothes. Mike's mother bought him the best outfits. Charlie never wanted for anything. He received a fat weekly allowance from the family budget.

Mike had contemplated asking Charlie to leave. It was clear that Charlie must have done something to influence Mike's parents to feed him, clothe him, and host him as one of their kids. Mike was not comfortable with the power that Charlie had on his parents. He hated the idea of Charlie being his 'adopted' brother.

However, he tended to avoid conflict. Therefore, he let nature take its course and God have his way.

**********

"Has Charlie taken his breakfast?" Mike's mother asked again.

Mike had arrived home from school the previous night. He had been away for two months. Two agonizing months in which he saw Charlie come to school in brand new outfits while his wardrobe begged for an upgrade. He always felt envy when he thought about how Charlie had grown close with his family. His decision to come home was borne out of a dilemma. He wasn't sure whether to intervene or let things go on as usual.

"Has Charlie taken his breakfast!" Mike rephrased his mother's statement mentally, while his whole body was burning in anger. "No - Hey son, I missed you. How is school going?" he shouted in his mind.

He knew what he had to do.

"Good morning mother, please have a seat," he said as he gestured for his mother to take a seat. "Lisa! Charlie! Come here!" he shouted from the dining room. Charlie came from the toilet adjusting his leather pants.

"What, man?" he asked as he sat on the dining table.

Lisa dragged her feet to the dining room a few minutes later and as she sat her sleep-deprived body on the dining table, she rubbed her drowsy eyes and yawned.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Sit down, i have something to tell you guys."

May 30, 2021 10:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.