JACK O'LANTERN: The story behind the legend

Submitted into Contest #221 in response to: Write a story where ghosts and the living coexist.... view prompt

52 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction Fantasy

This is the true tale behind the legend of Jack O’Lantern. But before I begin, I’d like to share with you, if I may, a few little-known facts about Halloween.

Nowadays, many people believe that this is an American concept, although there is no mention made of it in U.S. history until after the arrival of over two million Irish migrants escaping the great famine at the start of the nineteenth century. Since then, many of the age-old customs the Irish brought with them have been modified including the carving of Jack O’Lanterns. Traditionally in Ireland, candles or hot coals were placed inside hollowed-out turnips to supposedly light the way for the lost spirit of Jack O’Lantern. Upon arrival in America, the Irish soon discovered pumpkins were far easier to carve than turnips and made much better lanterns too. 

Halloween dates back to the Pagan festival of Samhain which used to be held on the first of November to mark the Celtic New Year. Celebrations began at sunset the night before, which became known as Hallowed Eve, and continued until sunset on the day itself. Because it marked the transition of the years, it was believed that the boundaries between the human world and the Otherworld were less secure, thus allowing fairies and other ‘shape-shifting’ spirits to come and go freely. This is where the dark side of Halloween originated. Dressing up as ghosts, ghouls and the like was a way to disguise and protect oneself from any wandering evil spirits. Another Celtic belief at the source of much Irish Fairy Lore held that he who slept overnight inside a Fairy Ring of the Rath during the Samhain festival would be given the gift of otherworldly musicianship. At a price, of course. Oh yes, I’m afraid there is always a price… 

Now without further ado, I invite you to settle down comfortably, and I shall begin my tale.


*****


Once upon a time in a sleepy hamlet on the edge of the peaty boglands of the Island of Ireland, there lived a young lad named Jack, the only son of an honest blacksmith. Much to the chagrin of his parents, Jack refused to buckle down and learn the humble family trade, preferring instead to go gallivanting around the windy boglands with his tin whistle for company and dreaming of seeking his fortune, marrying a beautiful red-headed princess or some such nonsense. 


Early one autumn morning, after being boxed about the ears for his laziness by his despairing mother, Jack scarpered out of the yard and took to the hills to sulk. After wandering aimlessly about the moors blowing little ditties to himself upon his whistle, he became weary and decided to rest his legs a while in a shady glade. With the dappled sunlight filtering down through the trees and the merry tinkling of the little brook at his feet, Jack became drowsy and before you could say ‘Padraig O’Docherty’ the youngster was snoring away loud enough to awaken the spirit of Old Brian Boru over the misty hills in distant Clontarf.


Now whilst Jack was away in the land of Nod, who should come a-hopping and a-skipping over the hillock but one of Ireland’s legendary ‘little folk’. Seamus was the fellow’s name, and Seamus was one of the wiliest of all the wily wee Leprechauns in the land. And, being as he was a most evil and corrupt little Leprechaun, getting up to mischief, especially malicious and malevolent mischief, was one of his greatest pleasures,


Sidling up next to the sleeping young lad, Seamus eyed the battered old penny whistle and grinned to himself. It was a sinister grin which quickly spread all the way from one of his long pointy ears to the other. From a pocket deep within his leather breeches, he pulled out an ancient, intricately carved wooden flute, sat himself down on a rock next to Jack, and began to play.


Upon hearing the lilting, melodic music Jack awoke from his slumber and stared, slack-jawed, at the funny little man playing his flute and peering at him over the top of his round spectacles,


“Why, what beautiful tone that flute has! I’ve never heard such an enchanting sound,” Jack whispered in awe, “I’d give anything to be able to play like that.”


“Well hello there and top o’ the morning to ye,” replied Seamus, slapping his thigh, “I’m Seamus, and what would they be calling you, young Sir”


Flattered at being addressed as ‘young Sir’ and eager to learn more about the wonderful music, Jack soon found himself babbling away nineteen to the dozen to the old man. Before long, he had told old Seamus all about his dreams of learning to play the flute and then making his fortune. There followed much chatting and bonding about the merits and making of music along with the amassing of vast fortunes.


“So it’s the flute that draws ye, is it? Well, do ye know, Jack me lad? That would surely be a very simple thing to arrange, so it would. And Old Seamus here happens to know just the way to go about it.”


As Seamus continued, Jack’s eyes became rounder and rounder and he grew ever hotter at the thought of the wondrous prospects being described. That very night being the Hallowed Eve of Samhain, all Jack apparently needed to do was to sleep overnight inside a Fairy Ring of the Rath and he would be endowed with the gift of musicianship. In fact, added Seamus with a wink, the two of them just happened to be sitting inside one of those sacred Fairy Rings at that exact moment.


“And to think ye found it all by yerself, Jack. It must surely be yer destiny, so it must.” Seamus told him, his eyes twinkling. 


Well, I don’t suppose you need me to tell you that that is exactly what Jack did. Upon awakening the following morning, the overjoyed youth hurried home, clutching the beautiful flute Seamus had insisted he keep, unable to quite believe his incredible luck. Within weeks, his reputation with the flute grew, and before long, he was being paid handsomely to play in villages far and near. 


It was whilst Jack was playing at the Hall of one of the most important Lords in all the county that he set eyes upon the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. Shauna had stunning long, red, curly locks, creamy skin dotted all over with faint pin-like freckles, emerald-green eyes and she was the Lord’s youngest daughter. Jack was besotted! Before the evening was over, he had bewitched both the court and the daughter with his magical melodies. There followed a whirlwind romance and the love-struck couple were wed within the year.


Now you might recall me telling you at the beginning of this tale that there is always a price for the fairy gifts of Samhain. Well, lo and behold, upon the fifth anniversary of Jack staying the night inside the Fairy Ring, a massive storm like no other descended on the homestead of the lovely couple. The ancient oak trees surrounding their home creaked and swayed under the force of the gale, whilst hailstones the size of pickled onions hammered against the window panes. It was exactly on the stroke of midnight whilst the storm was raging overhead, that Jack heard a faint tap-tap-tapping on their door as he was loading the fireplace for the night ahead. Wondering whoever it could be, he hastily unbolted the heavy door and it burst wide open, almost knocking him off his feet.


In strode Seamus, although gone was the kindly twinkle in his eye now, and without further ado, he made the situation plain and clear. Jack had not repaid him his dues. Unless Jack gave Seamus the sum of fifty thousand solid-silver shillings before the very next Samhain, he would claim Jack’s young Shauna for his own. Then before Jack could utter a single word, the little man vanished into the blackness of the storm, leaving poor Jack speechless and afraid.


Well, fifty thousand shillings was a mighty sum of money in those days. Far, far more than Jack could ever hope to raise. Too fearful to confide his predicament to anyone, even to his beloved Shauna, his face grew gaunt and thin, and, eating barely enough to keep a wee dunnock alive, he soon became as skinny as one of the beanpoles in his wife’s kitchen garden.


Much too quickly the dreaded day of Samhain arrived, and Jack solemnly prepared himself to keep his appointment with Seamus. Instructing his dear wife not to open the door to anybody under any circumstances whilst he was away, the hapless lad set off for the Fairy Ring with a heavy heart. As he drew closer to the magical spot, the sky grew darker and more menacing whilst a bitter wind whipped up flurries of leaves, sending them swirling about Jack’s head.


In the centre of the bewitched clearing, a stern-faced Seamus sat a-waiting, tapping his foot. Distraught, Jack fell to his knees in despair, begging for mercy. Seeing Jack empty-handed, the livid Leprechaun leapt to his feet calling upon the diabolical spirit of Donn, the Lord of the Undead to intervene. It being Samhain and the veil between the living and the dead at its thinnest, the foul Spirit materialized behind Seamus, and decreed right there and then, that Shauna’s soul be handed over to Seamus for eternity. 


As for the unfortunate Jack, he was driven away into the darkness, condemned to roam the Otherworld for evermore. The only concession allowed him was a burning piece of coal which he placed inside a hollowed-out turnip to light his way.


When visitors arrived at the house of Jack and Shauna the following day, they discovered the place completely deserted, yet curiously and inexplicably, the door remained bolted from the inside. The table was set for two and a cauldron of stew lay cold and untouched in the hearth. Not a trace was ever found of either Jack or his wife. 


It is said, however, that Jack’s grief-stricken spirit still wanders back and forth in limbo, searching in vain for his lost love. In remembrance of the poor haunted soul, it has become customary to place candles inside hollowed-out pumpkin shells at Halloween to help Jack find his way. I am told too that the sound of his old tin whistle can sometimes still be heard near the old peat bogs of Ireland, the eerie sound carried along by the wind on stormy nights, especially around the time of Halloween. 



October 20, 2023 17:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

52 comments

RJ Holmquist
14:51 Oct 27, 2023

Love the use of language and structure, totally nailed the Irish folktale tone. Great tale and interesting background information on Halloween. I did not know there was a Celtic connection.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
19:17 Oct 27, 2023

Thanks v much for your comment, RJ, yeah, the 1st bit was all true - am really interested in all that Celtic stuff 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
22:11 Oct 26, 2023

You are a wonderful storyteller! I will make sure to light my pumpkin for Jack this Halloween. Anything to help. Thanks, Shirley! 🎃

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
07:23 Oct 27, 2023

Awww - Thank you for your lovely comment Karen 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
11:43 Oct 26, 2023

Shirley, Yes! I loved this story. It's interesting the way customs come about and even how they morph and change. You know, we often do candle light vigils in light of losing a loved one. This made me think of that. Somehow, the light will help us find our loved ones in the dark. Spooky season is my favorite season- Thanks for the story!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
12:50 Oct 26, 2023

And thank you for your comment, Danie. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
10:38 Oct 25, 2023

Really enjoyed this. Is this actually the legend or did you play around with it? Very fairytale-esque and Grimm-like. Really magical and creepy read. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
08:31 Oct 26, 2023

I researched the details re Samhain & read a few legends about Jack O’Lantern, then had fun making up the story itself… Had a lot of fun doing that 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
09:08 Oct 24, 2023

Really enjoyed this Shirley, the voice was great, really felt like I was sitting by a crackling fire listening to an old woman tell the tale that was only ever spoken and never written. Seamus is clearly from around Galway direction, never trust the little folk... Never, especially those that say top of the morning, hahaha. Thoroughly enjoyable and great to see Ireland getting its Halloween credit. I'm from Derry, many consider the Halloween capital, it's a full week festival for us 😊

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
12:40 Oct 24, 2023

Many thanks for your comment, Kevin. SO pleased you enjoyed it 😁. I feel honoured - especially as you’re Irish yourself. (I grew up in England although my Dad was born & raised in a village near Strabane)

Reply

Kevin Logue
13:04 Oct 24, 2023

Ah Strabane and Derry are under one government council now they are that close,may as well be the same place.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
13:24 Oct 24, 2023

Have you heard of Douglas Bridge? Have a great Halloween festival !!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Marty B
17:57 Jan 11, 2024

Great story, and the idioms rang true to! The tone was great. I'll light a few pumpkins to light Jack's way on the next Hallowed Eve of Samhain!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
10:26 Jan 12, 2024

Thank you very much, Marty. Glad you enjoyed….

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:02 Nov 29, 2023

I thoroughly enjoyed this tale and found the historical bit at the beginning very interesting. I’ve never looked much into the origins of Halloween, but that is such a rich backstory! Great writing, perfect tone, and captivating style from beginning to end. Well done.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
17:16 Nov 30, 2023

Thanks a million for your feedback, Aeris - very much appreciated 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:07 Nov 11, 2023

What a great story Shirley! Very much entered into the folklore and learnt something along the way. It has a lilting quality. The little folk are scary! Sad that there always seems to a price for everything.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
13:57 Nov 11, 2023

Many thanks for your feedback, Helen. I guess everything has it’s price in a way

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luciano Cortese
20:25 Nov 09, 2023

This is a really cool retelling of an Irish folk tale, it has a lot of color to it in the language despite being an existing folk tale and therefore technically nonfiction if you squint. I love the descriptions of the peat bogs and and other landmarks and traditions from Ireland, it really makes the story unique and makes it clear where it is, which makes for an easier time visualizing it in your head.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
20:57 Nov 09, 2023

Many thanks for your comments, Luciano. (The actual tale is totally made up by the way - apart from the legend of a lantern of lighted coal being supposed to light the way for the lost spirit of a lad named Jack)

Reply

Luciano Cortese
21:04 Nov 09, 2023

Ah I see!! That makes it cooler then. I assumed from the creative nonfiction tag that it was a retelling of something existing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:46 Nov 04, 2023

Awesome Story Shirley! Great use of language to set up the foke-lore and then keep it. The concept was very novel and the story haunting. Well done with this.💪 The only side note is the use of commas instead of full stops @the end of a couple sentences. - Leprechaun, getting up to mischief, especially malicious and malevolent mischief, was one of his greatest pleasures, - Upon hearing the lilting, melodic music Jack awoke from his slumber and stared, slack-jawed, at the funny little man playing his flute and peering at him over the top of...

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
13:45 Nov 04, 2023

Ah yes, BRAVO for spotting those, Cecilia 😁, and thank you for your feedback

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
13:49 Nov 04, 2023

Re editing: I’ve just tried to modify those typos & you’re absolutely right - editing is impossible if submitted to contest. However, if you’ve just submitted a story NOT for contest, you CAN still edit.

Reply

13:55 Nov 04, 2023

Legend, thank you for testing. That is a major pain🤣 You're a great writer BTW.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
14:04 Nov 04, 2023

Aww thanks v much for the compliment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
DH Irving
18:59 Nov 03, 2023

You have an amazing gift at storytelling - it felt as if I were listening, not reading. Thank you for this!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
19:36 Nov 03, 2023

Aww thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
GRACE TIBBETTS
12:26 Nov 02, 2023

Loved your story. It was as though I was reading an old fairy tale from long, long ago. You have captured the spirit and the fun of telling tales. And because of all the research you did before hand, it rings true like an old irish legend. I would have never known the difference.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
13:29 Nov 02, 2023

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Grace; very much appreciated 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Esessien
04:11 Nov 01, 2023

Marvelous story! Again, again! 😁 I think it's funny how days ago I was looking up the origin of Halloween to decide whether or not to attend a Halloween party. Your storytelling was on point. I think the historical part at the beginning dragged out a bit but I enjoyed it overall. Poor Jack, children are gullible and the price to pay was pricey. From the get-go I knew Seamus was no good and this just confirmed it. “And to think ye found it all by yerself, Jack. It must surely be yer destiny, so it must.” Seamus told him, his eyes twin...

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
08:07 Nov 01, 2023

Thanks a million for your thoughtful feedback, Miriam. Totally agree about the 1st part being a bit off-putting, but I couldn’t think how to condense any more. I will try to tighten it up somehow - will be a good exercise for me - I do tend to waffle a bit too much 🥴

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
18:13 Oct 30, 2023

Wow, I'm blown away by this piece! The way you wrote was fantastic and I loved the Celtic vibes here. You have a unique voice and a great talent for storytelling. Looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
21:27 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you very much Daniel, so glad you enjoyed it😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:00 Oct 29, 2023

The story's a great fit for the season, no doubt :) It very much reads like an old time fairytale, and because of the narrator's voice, I could hear this being read out loud, on a dark night by the fireside. And, I learned some things, so that's always a win :) Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Belladona Vulpa
13:05 Oct 29, 2023

I like the narrative, the style, and the way you separated the story into two parts: background information (preparing the reader for the tone, the themes, and everything else) and the tale itself. The atmosphere is cozy and spooky as if some people telling tales near the fire. Although we know it's a story, it's immersive enough to wonder what happened next and care for the characters. I love the sensory details of sound and everything to play with the imagination of the readers, like great storytellers. It is also fascinating to think a...

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
20:00 Oct 29, 2023

Thank you so much, Belladonna, for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. very much appreciated😊 I’m really pleased you enjoyed reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
02:12 Oct 29, 2023

What a wonderful tale! I so want this to be the true origin of the Jack O'Lantern.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
02:15 Oct 29, 2023

Thank you very much for your comment, Myranda…… Who knows? 😉😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
14:46 Oct 28, 2023

I love the "legendary" tone here. I love the sound of Jack's tin whistle. Good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
14:30 Oct 28, 2023

Wow, what a tale! I did not know about the Leprechaun's involvement around Halloween, and I don't even think I knew about Jack-o-lantern being derived from an actual person! Yes. This was an impressive tale told very well. I will have to ask my mother about it, as she is a bit Irish (though she wishes she were more!) and has always painted Leprechaun in a kinder light. I suppose, we cannot trust them! Thanks for the rich sensory experience, too. I think I'll be hearing that flute all today when we're out and about at the pumpkin patch!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
14:39 Oct 28, 2023

Thanks so much for your feedback, AnneMarie. The 1st part is all from researching, although I must admit the tale itself is totally made up, so am not sure if Leprechauns do play such a dark part in actual folk lore. Maybe Seamus was just a wild card??? 😂 Hopefully he won’t come a-visiting me on Halloween to teach me a lesson 🥴

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:50 Oct 28, 2023

Ahhh, that makes this even better, Shirley, knowing that you've made it up! Seamus, a lovely, Irish name by the way, makes a very convincing argument for leprechauns being more than their rainbows and pots of gold! Good for you for taking on a research piece, too. Research is my least favorite part of writing, lol!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
15:11 Oct 28, 2023

My Dad was Irish, although I never actually lived there, myself. I do love visiting Ireland & learning about Irish folklore though…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:09 Oct 26, 2023

I felt like I was in an Irish tavern with a crackling fire and the merry souls had lain down their fiddles and flutes and as the logs burned and the flames sparked, your story began. I loved it all: the historical prologue, the classic narrator plunging us in and pulling us out with their wisdom and beyond the intriguing premise of why we light candles and put them in pumpkins, I enjoyed your humorous incursions like hail the size of pickled onions. Each time I visited Ireland the raindrops alone felt that size ,-) I do hope you carve a turn...

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
07:33 Oct 27, 2023

SO pleased you enjoyed my tale, Rebecca, and thanks a million for your kind and beautifully poetic feedback. I confess I think I may give the turnip carving a miss though - (VERY difficult to do) Happy Halloween to you, too 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.