Contest #178 shortlist ⭐️

Toure de Waffle

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional holiday tradition.... view prompt

35 comments

Friendship Holiday Fiction

The horror of the thing overwhelmed me. It was a monstrosity; an unholy union if ever there was one. What kind of psychopath was responsible for this abomination? I looked across the table at my friends, and I could see my feelings echoed in their faces. Neal looked down at his plate with the furrowed brow of man looking at a mortally wounded ally on the battlefield. Jordan, on the other hand, wore a look of pure disgust; eyes open, mouth agape, and lips curled. 

           “Ma’am!” I called to our waitress. “I’m sorry to be a pain, but why is there gravy on our hash browns?”

“You ordered them ‘all the way.’ This is ‘all the way.’”

“Listen,” I said, with a quick glance at her name tag, “Amanda, for the last fourteen years, ‘all the way’ has meant seven things: chili, onion, tomato, jalapeno, ham, mushroom, and cheese. This, Amanda, is the holy grail of hash brown toppings. The ambrosia of Olympus. The secret sauce. When did white gravy crash that party, and for the love of god, why?”

“They started adding it in June. Corporate decision. Don’t know why. Wasn’t consulted.” She bit off these sentence fragments as if each sound and syllable took immense effort. She also seemed to have the ability to speak without moving a single muscle in her face, save her mouth, and even that was a kept to a bare minimum. “Want us to remake ‘em?” she asked, in a tone which promised violence if one responded in the affirmative. 

“No,” Jordan interjected, though his eyes remained fixed on the plate. “The Rules say we have to eat whatever we order.”

“Rules?” the waitress inquired, shocking me by asking a non-essential question and actually raising a drawn-on eyebrow. Jordan and I looked at Neal and waited for him to explain. As you likely already know, every three-man friend group needs three roles: the brain, the smartass, and the leader. I was as close to a smartass as we had, and Jordan was the brain, leaving leadership to Neal. Our leader, however, appeared to be temporarily stupefied and oblivious to his surroundings, so I jumped in. 

“You see, Amanda, we’re on a bit of a mission tonight. Every year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, for the last fourteen years, these two gents and myself get together and eat at all three Waffle Houses in Aimsville. It’s the Toure de Waffle! And as such, there are certain established rules, like the one my good friend here has just elucidated. First, we have to eat at each of the three locations. Second, we have to eat everything we order, and finally, the person who eats the least has to pay.” 

“Huh,” muttered the waitress, whom I was beginning to believe was really just an elaborate drone controlled by the Waffle House corporate higher-ups via remote control. As she wandered away, I pulled a flask from my jacket pocket. “I hate to start so early, but I’m gunna need all the help I can get to muscle this down.” After a covert swig, I passed it to Jordan. He took a pull, and passed to Neal, who came out of his haze just long enough to shake his head before disappearing back into himself.  Jordan passed the flask back with a look of undisguised concern. Neal may have been the leader of our little triumvirate, but I’d never seen the man refuse a drink. Hell, he usually came to the first Waffle House with a good buzz on already. 

“How’s the legal world, Neal?” I asked as I attempted to scrape the gravy-contaminated hash browns to the side of the plate. “Are you still doing mostly corporate defense stuff?”

          “It’s alright,” he said, blinking up at me. “I, uh, I’m actually in between firms at the moment.”

          “Oh, awesome! I know the last place wasn’t really your favorite. Where are you going to?”

           “Uh, well, not totally sure at the moment.” 

           Andrew, you idiot! I chastised myself as I tried to dig my way back out. “Right on! It’s good to take some time to really evaluate the options, you know?” was all I could manage.

Silence. Total silence. The kind of silence in which all I could do was nod to myself, affirming the great wisdom of “taking time to evaluate the options.” Mercifully, Jordan took an at-bat. “How are the kids?” he swung. 

“Good…” Neal bit off, and I thought I heard the hint of a crack in his voice, and a little sheen of moisture begin to form in his eyes. Jordan must have seen it too, because he immediately made his usual nervous twitch of rubbing his beard. Pop fly out on the first swing. Two outs. It was time for a diversion. 

“Jordan,” I asked, “how was your flight in from Florida? I had a three-hour delay from Virginia. You’re a lucky bastard, Neal, you still live here!” So, Jordan and I exchanged travel horror stories and choked down the hash browns, all the while watching for any sign of engagement from Neal. No dice. We might have had better luck trying to get a smile from Amanda the Robot Waitress. 

Eventually, Jordan and I managed to get down most of the food on our plates, gravy notwithstanding. Neal, though, had only taken a few bites. Per the Rules, he was obligated to pay. Per my standards as a semi-decent human, I preferred to avoid sticking my unemployed friend with the bill. Accordingly, I tried to stealthily snag the ticket when it arrived, but Neal grabbed it out of my hand with more than a little violence. “What the hell man?” he demanded, with genuine anger. “The Rules are the Rules.” 

“Look man, its not that big a deal; we didn’t know about the gravy, and with you being in between-”

“Fuck that. We’re on the Toure. We’re doing the Rules.” With that, he stood up and strode to the counter to pay the bill. 

The ride to the Waffle House number two, the location on Main, was pretty quiet after that. Tradition dictated that we all order chocolate chip waffles at Main. It hadn’t reached the status of a Rule yet, but it was close. Neal ordered first from a waiter who could have been Amanda’s twin brother. They didn’t look alike, really, but their essence was the same. Probably from the same manufacturer. Without looking up from his notepad, the waiter droned “Out of chocolate chips.”

This time Neal did not remain quiet. ”What the fuck do you mean you’re out of chocolate chips? How the hell do you run out of chocolate chips?” he barked.

“Hey!” I jumped in, “It’s all good…Tristan. We’ll just have pecan waffles then.”

“Out of Peca-,”

“Plain is fine, then Tristan! Plain is just fine.” 

Tristan shuffled back to the cook, unphased by Neal’s outburst. “Okay, man.” I said, turning to Neal. “What’s going on? Is everything alright?”

He sat quietly for a moment and sighed. “Not really man,” he replied, staring down at the table. Another pause, another sigh, and he continued. “I got a DUI a few months back. Hit some guy’s car. Nobody was hurt, and we settled out, but the firm found out about it and let me go. Bad press, you know? Jamie was already pissed about the DUI, and when I lost the job, she moved out and took the kids. They’re staying at her parent’s place. I’m trying AA, but I can’t get past a fucking week sober.  And Jamie won’t let me see the… yesterday was my first Thanksgiving alone.”

“Shit, man,” Jordan said, “Why didn’t you call us or something?”

“Right. What am I supposed to say? ‘Hey guys, I’ve developed a nice little alcohol problem and lost my license. Oh, and by the way, I got fired, and my wife bailed. How’s the east coast?’”

“Yes!” I exclaimed, apparently a little too loudly, as even Tristan shot a glance our way. “Dammit Neal, you don’t have to deal with this shit on your own. We-”

           “I don’t want to talk about it, alright?” he interrupted. “I just want to do the Toure, and do it right, ok?” Thankfully, Tristan rescued us by bringing over the conspicuously plain waffles, which we consumed in awkward silence. 

I tried to make small talk on the way to the final Waffle House on Maple but wound up just prattling to myself the whole drive, as I got no response from the back seat. I fell silent as we turned onto the block. I knew we were in trouble. The glowing yellow sign was not where it was supposed to be. Sure enough, when I pulled into the familiar lot, the lot just kept going where the Waffle House should have been. In the center of the lot stood a large wooden sign reading “Coming Soon! New Home of First Bank of Missouri!” Not knowing what else to do, I pulled in and parked. After a moment of charged silence, I heard a door click behind me and in the headlight beams I saw Neal walking slowly to the sign. He rested his head against the sign for a minute, then quietly drew back his fist and hit the sign hard. Then again. And again. Soon, he was throwing punches in a steady rhythm. Jordan and I got out of the car and approached slowly. As we drew near, I could hear Neal cursing with each blow.

I gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He stopped the assault then, shrunk down and squatted there in front of the sign. His body began to shake, and I realized he was weeping. I looked over at Jordan, but all we could think to do was squat there with him, hands on his shoulders. After a few minutes, his body stilled and the three of us remained squatting there in the harsh beams of the headlights. 

“Guys,” I jumped as Jordan’s voice broke the silence. “Nothing in the Rules says we have to order the food here. We just have to eat it here. ‘Eat at each location,’ right? Could we just get some pie to-go from Main, and bring it back here?” I glanced over at Neal. “You’re the lawyer, boss. What say you?” Though his voice was still thick, I thought I saw a hint of a smile cross his face as he muttered, “The man’s not wrong.”

Twenty minutes later and we were back, sitting on the cold ground with our backs against the sign and pie and cokes (replacing the usual last-stop whisky) in our laps. On the drive, Neal had started to open up. He had insisted on paying for our three huge slices of coconut crème pie and had even laughed on the way back at my wildly risqué joke on the topic of crème pies. As I took my last bite, I saw Neal sit his fork down on his empty plate. “Thanks guys. I mean it. I needed this.” 

“Any time, man.” I said. Jordan added, “That’s what we’re here for.”

Neal sat quietly for a minute. “And Jordan,” he said, finally, glancing down at Jordan’s half eaten pie with a smile, “you owe me $11.57 for this round.” 

December 29, 2022 07:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Lindsey B
00:54 Feb 09, 2023

As someone who had Waffle House for the first time a few months ago, I would sign up for an annual tour of Waffle Houses.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kasey Fisher
19:08 Feb 01, 2023

This is a fantastic story! I couldn't read it fast enough, yet I didn't want it to end. To make me laugh, tear up, then laugh again, is quite an accomplishment. And there is nothing I hate more than gravy and olives! I hope Neal lives happily ever after :) Definitely deserved to be short-listed, if not a winner! Congrats!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Spencer
07:41 Jan 15, 2023

I read this story a few days and it stuck with me so much I had to come back and read it again. I just simply adore it. I can see why you made the shortlist for this one! And no one, absolutely no one should put gravy on hash browns!

Reply

N.M. Stech
01:02 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you so much! Sincerely appreciate the kind words, and I wholeheartedly agree, those two should never meet!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:45 Jan 10, 2023

I'm a big fan of the setting. Your voice is very clear and I feel like I know exactly who you are as an author after this. Looking forward to reading more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
14:29 Jan 10, 2023

I relate with the story line. The theme is captivating.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
14:20 Jan 09, 2023

Hello! Congratulations on the shortlist! I loved this story for two main reasons-one my husband and I truly fell in love at our booth at a Waffle House and 2 because it was a well deserved shortlist. I think that what stood out for me most was the incredibly dynamic you wrote in this piece. I loved the way these characters felt each social faux pas and also, the way they recovered from it. I loved the little pieces of back story we got, too-how some people linger in their home towns, others leave and come back. Nice job on this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
04:57 Jan 09, 2023

Thanks for taking us on a trip to the waffle house with your mates. Hysterical that there are "rules' to this type of outing, but then again, this type of outing is usually construed in the throes of a few (too many) drinks. The fact that the MC can rattle of all the ingredients in the 'all the way' clues the reader into just how seriously they take their mission. Even though the trio live far apart and are not up-to-date with the latest goings on in each other's lives, it is touching to know that they meet up religiously and that they are a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sav Lightwood
09:43 Jan 07, 2023

Love the amiable, easygoing narrative voice. It makes me feel like I'm tagging along with these three in their legendary, country-sprawling contest and I for one would absolutely SMASH hash browns all the way (gravy and all)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
23:54 Jan 06, 2023

Hey... congratulations

Reply

N.M. Stech
00:24 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks Tommy!

Reply

Tommy Goround
02:05 Jan 07, 2023

What's good about the story is that I can look at a few paragraphs and remember the rest of the story. Yay

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
23:22 Jan 06, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist--and only your third story in! Bright future ahead.

Reply

N.M. Stech
00:24 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you so much! I’m more than a little shocked, but excited to keep going and learning from you all here!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
17:04 Jan 06, 2023

Congratulations on the shortlist! :)

Reply

N.M. Stech
00:23 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you so much Wendy, and congratulations right back at you for the same!! I haven’t had a chance to get over and comment yet, but I loved your story as well!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:38 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks very much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
15:44 Jan 06, 2023

Congratulations!! This is well-deserved. 🎉🎉🎉

Reply

N.M. Stech
00:21 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Paul
16:21 Jan 05, 2023

Brilliant start to the story. I'm pretty sure if someone slathered my hash browns in white gravy I'd be upset, too!

Reply

N.M. Stech
18:39 Jan 05, 2023

Thanks so much Mike! I wholeheartedly agree, some things just do not belong on hash browns.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
06:49 Jan 05, 2023

Very happily reading your work for the first time, and I am so delighted by your writing style. Such a clear, casual, and easy voice. I love how you started with this awful waitress (sorry Amanda, but everyone agrees), and eased us into the tradition. Starting us with this unexpected hashbrown gravy is a great nod towards what is to come; time is changing things. And clearly Neal is suffering from those changes, and he's desperately clinging to the reliable and stable routine of this tradition with his friends. Thank goodness their friendshi...

Reply

N.M. Stech
18:38 Jan 05, 2023

Anne, thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback and kind words! While the characters and situation are fictional, the tradition is a real one I have with two old friends, and unfortunately that gravy incident was very real as well, and I don't think I'll ever get over it...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:24 Jan 05, 2023

Cool tradition. You should let your friends read this so they know what a good friend they have! Something about knowing which parts in a story are true is really satisfying, thanks for sharing that! And thanks for warning us about the new hashbrown topping!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:10 Jan 05, 2023

As a Brit, all the American foods you write about make me feel like I'm on a very hungry roadtrip. I come from near London and I find all the different food joints so fascinating, such a different culture. We don't even have pie places ( strange really as it used to be pub stable, pie) and definitely not coconut creme ones! And then the idea of getting takeaway pies...Hash browns with all those toppings is completely new to me too. Anyway, now that I've divulged I want to book a flight and eat all this stuff, I can get to the story! I liked...

Reply

N.M. Stech
18:35 Jan 05, 2023

Thank you so much Rebecca! As for the food, I will say Waffle House is a chain in a seedy, stereotypically American league of its own over here, mostly visited by drunks coming out of the bars after closing time. However, if you want some of those greasy hash browns all the way, its the only place to get them. Thank you for the kind words! Dialogue has always been my weakest link, so tried to force myself into something dialogue heavy here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
23:56 Jan 03, 2023

I keep getting the waffle girl deflecting a chair in my news headlines. Now she lost her job and I think of your story. Clapping

Reply

N.M. Stech
01:36 Jan 04, 2023

Hah! I cannot stop watching that clip.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:40 Jan 03, 2023

This is really good. The opening is completely interesting, drawing the reader in with humor, but also immediately bringing out the idea of life changing in ways beyond our control, which is followed through in subsequent Waffle Houses and in Neal's life. The details in really establish authenticity, inviting the reader to be part of this little bonded group, giving the reader the same warm and caring view. This is good writing.

Reply

N.M. Stech
01:35 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you so much for the feedback! I very much appreciate the kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
15:34 Jan 02, 2023

Great story. Well thought out and executed.

Reply

N.M. Stech
01:34 Jan 04, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tricia Shulist
19:40 Jan 01, 2023

What a nice story. True friends are the ones who are with you through thick and thin. Thanks for this.

Reply

N.M. Stech
01:34 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:15 Jan 10, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.