1 comment

Fantasy Coming of Age Fiction

“Are you sure about this, My Lord?”

Prince Wyon looked up at his knight, clearly frustrated.

“For the last time, yes, I am sure. You and I both know that if I continue to sit idly, the situation will only cascade into full on rebellion. We must nip this in the bud if we wish to stop such a thing, correct?”

Sir Edelin stared down at the prince for a moment longer, her concern unhidden. However, with a sigh and a nod, she signaled for the castle gates to be opened. 

Tightened chains and creaking wood struggled and surged in order to open the way for Wyon and Edelin to pass through on to the dirt roads towards the town. Without a moment's hesitation, Wyon strode forward, head held high and hand resting on the hilt of his blade. Edelin followed close behind, eyeing the open field for any sign of danger or suspicion. 

“...May I at least ask why we did not bring the horses? T’is a rather far trip by foot.” Edelin asked, speaking over the chill autumn winds. 

“If the townspeople were to see two royal horses approaching at speed, they’d surely assume the worst. We must greet them under the guise of equals, not as highborns.”

Edelin looked over Wyon, raising an eyebrow questioningly. 

“And yet you’re arriving in this attire? Surely, if we’re meant to blend in and seem nonthreatening, you would have found us some rags to wear, rather than our plate and silk.”

For only a moment, Wyon’s eyes widened as Edelin pointed out the flaw he had never considered. Quick to hide any sense of weakness, he closed his eyes and waved away her observation. 

“Even if we were to wear their clothes, they would recognize us easily. Best to arrive as we are, as to not create more rumors than those that are already circling.”

“My Lord, if I may, please keep your grip on your sword. We do not know who may be hiding the grass, and I’d rather you not be caught off guard.” Edelin chastised. Wyon did as he was told, though he gave Edelin a look, showing her that he was not pleased. 

“I am not a child, you know. If we were to be attacked, I would have enough sense to reach for my blade and enough strength to take them all.”

“Is that so?” Edelin glanced at Wyon’s other side, eyeing the space where his other arm should have been. “Your fifteenth birthday would say otherwise.”

“That was four years ago, Sir Edelin. You of all people should know that I’ve grown since then, what with all of the lessons and training you’ve put me through. However, if you’re to think that I’ve become too weak to handle myself with only one arm, then perhaps I should carry you to town? There’d be no way for you to make it on your one leg, afterall.” Wyon snapped back. Edelin was taken aback by the sudden edge to the young prince’s voice. 

“I...I pray for your forgiveness, My Lord. I did not mean any offence.” she stammered, bowing her head. 

“Save your prayers, we’ll need them later. Come now, we mustn’t waste daylight.”

With a short nod, Edelin followed her lord in silence. Both of their steps quickened as the mourning sun continued to rise in the sky, it’s heat dulled by the constant breeze and gloomy clouds overhead. It was not long before they reached the front gates of Laewaes, guarded by local rangers and hired swords. 

“Halt!” a burly man yelled from his place by the gates. “Who goes there?”

Almost instinctively, Edelin stepped forward, shielding Wyon with her arm. 

“We bring the lord of the land and crown prince of Alryne, Prince Wyon Riqubourne! Allow us entry at once.”

The man raised his eyebrows before breaking out into a deep laughter that nearly sounded more like a cough. Around him, the fellow guards joined in. 

“Oh, the prince is paying a visit?” a bow wielding woman asked between laughs up on her perch.

“Prince Wyon himself! And look, he even brought his favorite guard dog!” another man replied, gesturing to Edelin with his dagger. 

“Guard dog?” Edelin gasped, gripping the hilt of her sword. 

“Sir Edelin, please, stand down.” Wyon muttered. Edelin hesitated a moment, keeping her stance tense, before finally relaxing her shoulders and moving aside. 

“You may mock us all you want, I don’t care. Just allow us access to the town so we may carry out our business.” Wyon stated plainly. The man who first spoke simply smirked at the prince. 

“Of course, of course. We’ll let you in, after you pay the fee.”

“Fee?”

“Mhm. A hundred gold pieces. Should be nothing for a nobleman such as yourself.”

“Wh-!”

Though Wyon tried to keep his composure, a brief sound of surprise escaped him. 

“...I’m afraid to say that I did not take any gold with me this day. Perhaps we can work something else out.” he suggested. 

“Cheapskate!” the archer called down. Wyon did his best to ignore her. 

“Oh? Are you trying to pay me and my men with well wishes and favors, young prince? Well, I’m afraid to say that such things don’t buy food or keep roofs over our heads, so you’ll have to come up with something better.” The burly man explained, looking over Wyon and Edelin and examining what they had on them.  “...That’s a real pretty looking sword you got there. If you’d hand that over, I’m sure we could get you in.” he finally said, nodding towards Wyon’s hip. 

“Absolutely not! That’s-”

“If that’s your demand, then of course.”

Mouth agape and eyes wide, Edelin watched as Wyon handed over his sword to the man. After investigating it for a moment, a satisfied grin grew across his face. 

“Pleasure doing business. Alright fellas, open the gates!” he called as his fellow guards whispered and mumbled excitedly at one another. As promised, the gates to the town were pushed back, clear for the nobles to pass through. 

Without another word, Wyon marched through the gates. Edelin tried to compose herself and argue against what had just happened, however all she could accomplish was running forward and rejoining Wyon’s side. 

“...What the hell was that!” she tried to whisper, though it was quite loud nonetheless. 

“What? What are you talking about?” 

“That weapon was forged for you, and only for you, and you gave it away to a few...a few common thieves? What will your parents think! How will you defend yourself from future attacks!”

As Edelin ranted on, Wyon looked as unbothered as he had this entire trip. Fed up with it, she pulled him to the side and into a thin, empty alleyway.

“Wyon…” she began, voice wavering. “While this may be beyond my station, I demand an explanation. Surely, there had to have been some other option there, don’t you agree?”

Face to face with Edelin, the subtleties of Wyon’s expression became clear. While from a distance, he would seem brave or stoic, in this moment it became clear how panicked he was. To say that he felt fear would not be accurate. Instead, he was awash in a deep anxiety. 

“...Of course there was. If I had thought ahead, if I had planned for this, I could have just paid off the guards and been done with it. Hell, if we had disguises, like you had suggested, we might not have had to pay that fee at all. But, of course, I…”

Wyon shook his head, letting out a small breath. 

“It’s no use thinking about such things. What’s done is done, and I am willing to face whatever happens because of it. What matters now is that we finish our job here.”

“But, my Lord-”

“No.” 

Wyon looked up at Edelin, obviously still anxious and obviously still unsure. Though, behind all that, was a determination to fix what had been broken. It was subtle and unstable, but powerful. 

“I am willing to make a small sacrifice if it means larger ones don’t have to be made in the coming days. We’ve already faced such a thing, and paid dearly for it. I would never forgive myself if such a fate was brought down on another. Don’t you agree?”

Edelin was silent. As she shifted her weight, the metal leg supporting her creaked and sunk into the uneven dirt. Finally, she spoke. 

“...I do, my Lord, I do. I apologize, it is just...I have never seen you act like this before. It’s something I’m not used to, is all.”

“I am not used to it either.” Wyon admitted. “But, that’s the price of change, is it not?”

“I’d have to agree.”

With a small nod, Wyon’s face cracked into a small, awkward smile. Edelin returned it with her own. 

“Now, shall we go? There’s much to be done, and we’ve barely started.” Wyon suggested. 

“Aye. Let’s get on with it.”

August 14, 2020 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Liv Larsen
22:25 Aug 19, 2020

I like this!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.