0 comments

Adventure Fantasy

Pluck a yellow leaf. It works better on a summer's day and has a higher chance of you surviving.

Dip in blue paint and draw

black widow hourglass. Fill the hourglass in. Extra points if you don't

actually summon a spider (Like one of our clients). This part has lots of

chance. The whole warding thing has a lot of chance, luck...and un-luck.

This section of the book was reread and correct. She kept

reading. It would be new content.

It's easier if you read

below: Note that you are at risk of gray magic.

Ahkem Rammrphann!

Dimeephareehe Fakk!"

The pan (Little forest creatures, they are) found herself rising into the sky. It was a horse-ghoul

flying. She looked deep into its eyes: nothing. Tittine looked even deeper.

At first she only heard a few empty, hollow dry laughs, but

then, there was talking in the black void that Tittine had sensed.

"Ah, I know your kind can read animals. They have taken

decency quite a few times. Are yours not like them?" It said. "Do not

deny: You will further prove my point. Pan do not trust ghouls."

"True. I do not." Tittine replied.

"I am a ghoul made from a bloody horse head, and I am very

pleased if I can swallow you." The ghoul replied.

“That feels like you're trying to dodge rhyming.”

“Ghouls of evil spirits, you say? Just one more reason why I want to swallow you dead, is it? Besides, that was an accident.”

They sped on air like it was a track. Long blue snakes circled the hills with an occasional grey dot of a boulder. It frightened Tittine to look down longer, so she closed her eyes. The horse-ghoul was supposed to be an animated thing like a horse, but there were clearly some things even the realm of the dead couldn’t achieve. The horse was transparent.

" Ghouls do not trust pan. They do not trust anyone else either. Ghouls are the dead."

"True. Everything could also be programmed with some dark

magic, and all of this could be an illusion."

“We will most likely be discussing how likely it will happen.”

“Hmm. Well.

"We are merely some physical supernatural-like imitations.

Enjoy yourself. Nothing will make any difference." She quoted.                                                    

"One that has not seen the horrors of life may think this is some

clown jabberwocky, but I understand. Your philosophy is quite dark.” The

ghoul-horse said.

“Farewell.” Tittine said. She slid off the ghoul. There was some kind of wall between them that stopped her from falling into the horse-ghoul’s insides.

The ghoul nodded, then sped off with a flash.

“Tit?” Tittine asked.

A tiny brown owl popped out of the pewter pot on her shoulder. The pot had an absurdly long handle.

“We’re going spider hunting.” Tittine whispered.

Shall we say, spirit hunting. Anything is a spirit, in fact. There are many types of

Blood rushed through her veins much faster, and something screamed inside her.

Tittine began running without a purpose, wandering, feet kicking up dust. Her soul guided Tittine, and Tit screamed beside her, a hearty kind of scream.

Everything was a blur beside her. A long scream again. A short yell. Long scream. Long yell. Short scream.

Jumping over a boulder crossing, Tittine was supercharged. Suddenly, she stopped channeling nature energy, grew silent.

Spider.

Its furry legs greedily advanced, its fangs bared out, hissing. Black spider, orange striped. Worst of all, it was all at her.

Tittine took out a glassblowing trumpet-like thing, only that the blowing part was closed. Pan glassblowers could work great wonders.

She paused for a second. Too late. Tittine was in dart’s range. Before the spider could respond, Tittine smashed the trumpet-like glass thing over it.

The trumpet-like exploded, shattering with a high-pitched sound. That seemed to destroy half of the spider’s legs.

 The pan scaled the boulder frantically, but the spider kept advancing. The legs seemed to switch, and there were two legs on each side. It stumbled angrily, legs not keeping up with the body. The spider bulged its eight eyes out.

Is this the supernatural kind?

Tittine shouted. That destroyed half of the spider’s leg. She shouted again, but not as an attack: “Tit!”

No reply. The tiny brown owl was gone. Then Tittine realized it had flown somewhere else.

The spider regrew all of its legs. One leg nearly pinned her.

It feeds on despair. However, I imagine it, it becomes. I have to use that.

Slowly, the spider began to change. Stripes disappearing, fangs shortening, pale skin, lessening of eyes and legs. It became a baby.

Tittine poked her two times before it started to change into a spider. She had made a mark. The baby wouldn’t change into a spider anytime soon, and quite literally.

“You’re Ulti.” She whispered. “The spirit shapeshifter.”

It was abruptly interrupted by a clattering of hooves, and the baby started to cry.

The pan rubbed her nose, and the baby started laughing.

“Ghoul-horse,” She looked up and said, “You are here again?”

The ghoul quietly nodded.

“But…we can’t just leave Tit here!” Tittine stuttered.

“The owl will fly home to where you live. I wonder…do you have an animal bondage?” The ghoul-horse asked.

“Yes.” Tittine said.

“I am Wasnaf. Call me whenever you need to.” The ghoul said.

“Wait!”

“For what, hmmm?” The horse-ghoul smiled. Only a half of his ethereal body you were able to see.

“Well, I need to go home.”

“Thought you magical forest people could enlarge a bird with a spell.”

Tittine stopped the urge to tell him that magic wasn’t easy. “Well, we just left Tit.”

“All right, suppose he’s sitting at the Mushroom thinking we’re neglectful and slow for not finding him yet. You need me, right?”

She climbed up on the ghoul, taking Ulti the baby. “Well, if that’s the case and he’s thinking I’m neglectful, I’ll be having a whole new problem to deal with.”

Soon, Wasnef left Tittine and Ulti at the Mushroom.

No sign of anyone. Silence. Just when she began to think Tit was truly gone, the little bird hopped up…and into the pot. It peeked out, looking at Ulti.

Tittine laughed. One day, I’m going to see Wasnef. And I’ll be taking Tit with me. Perhaps with Ulti.

March 05, 2021 01:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.