The Fountain in the Woods

Submitted into Contest #239 in response to: Write a story where a regular household item becomes sentient.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Three weary hikers traveled an overgrown dirt path until the birch trees fell away to an open field.  A doe and fawn jumped away due to the noisy disturbance.  In the midst of the clearing, stood an ancient stone fountain covered in dew, branches and moss.  The still blackish water in the circular basin reeked of bacteria and algae.  Early spring daffodils and tulips surrounded the structure, but thorns and thistles imprisoned them.  Tall ragweed towers overshadowed three mushroom shaped benches, each equidistant from the stone design.

“What is this place?” Emmy asked. “It reminds me of the fountain in town.” She removed her phone and snapped a picture. “It’s so sad.”

Mario explained, “Originally, this was a laundry cistern. My family brought the structure over from Italy. My ancestors placed it here as a symbol of their struggle and created a peaceful garden around it.  My Pop-pop told me it once was inside our mansion in the foyer. I forgot it was even here.”  He held his nose.  “It stinks.”

Todd ignored their conversation and trudged to the far side of the glade.  He reached down and removed a camouflage tarp.  Underneath were a gas-powered lawn mower, weed wacker, leaf blower, gloves, two shovels, two rakes, shears of various sizes, pitchforks, pick-axes, a hatchet, and a wood ax.  He picked up a rake and shovel and came back to the young couple. 

“Mario, you’re right, it did come from the old country.  But it was a gift from the Castillos, my family, to yours. It was a gift of friendship and to remind us of our connection to each other.  No more wars.  It was called the White Fountain.”  

He handed Mario the shovel and Emmy the rake.  

“It’s time to clean it up, together. Have fun.”

Todd strolled past them and continued down the path.

“Hey!  Where are you going?” Mario barked.

“I am going to find the water source or natural spring which is currently blocked.” 

“Wait!  Todd!  Dad!”  It strangely rolled off her tongue, “I’ve never done yard work.” Emmy said.

He stopped and looked back. “Daughter, I know you can do it.  Ask Mario, I believe he has experience being a tool.”  

She said, “You mean with tools.”

Tood hiked down the path whistling a happy song. 

“I told you that he didn’t like me.”

“He just doesn’t know you yet.”  Emmy smiled.

“He doesn’t trust me.  I can see it in his eyes.”

“Then prove him wrong, Tasanari.  He did just leave me, his beautiful daughter, all alone with you in the woods.” She kissed his cheek. 

“I guess.” He examined the twisted wasteland, smelly water, and decrepit garden. “I don’t know where to start.”

Emmy yelled, “Dibs on the lawn!” 

“Fine.  Start on the outside in a circular pattern and make your way to the center. You better put gloves on or your hands will blister.  I will tackle the gross fountain.”

“Yay!” She put her hands behind her back and swayed back and forth. “Just one thing.”

Mario smiled at her. “You are adorable when you do that. What is it, EC?”

“Could you show me how to operate the lawn thingy and the other tools?”

“Sure.”

They held hands as they strolled to the lawn instruments.  Mario removed his jacket, while Emmy placed gloves over her manicured hands.  She stepped over to the lawnmower. She gripped the long metal handle with a red lever.  

“So how do I turn it on?”

“With one hand, you hold that lever. 

“This red one?”

“Yes.  Good.  On top of the engine is a pull cord.  With your other hand, you pull that out and it starts.”

Emmy reached down and lightly grasped the handle.  She pulled it.  As soon as she felt resistance, she dropped it and released the lever. 

“Did it start?” 

Mario rolled his eyes and walked over to the red machine.  

 “You have to keep holding the lever and pull the cord harder.”

“Oh I see.” 

She gripped the lever and then pulled the handle. The cord barely moved.

“Ouch! Mother flipper! I think I broke a nail.”

Emmy whipped off her glove and sucked her ring finger.  No damage to the nail.

“Let me show you, sweetie.”

Mario squeezed the handle and ripped the cord in one motion.  The lawnmower roared to life and bellowed white smoke for a few seconds.  Emmy cheered. 

“Yeah! It’s so loud.” She covered her ears and yelled. “Great job!” 

“Thanks.” He smiled and released the handle. The motor cutoff. 

“Hey, why did you turn it off?”

“Cause I want you to do it?  Give it another try.”

He moved out of the way.  Emmy put her glove back on.  She moved into the right position.  She quickly pulled the cord.  The Briggs & Stratton awakened again.  Mario cheered.  She almost released the lever but remembered just before the engine stalled. 

“Awesome.  We will be done in no time.”

“Thanks.  I hope so.  What do I do now?”

“Push.”

“I have to push this thing over all that tall grass.  Isn’t there an automatic switch?”

“Yes, but not on this model.  Be strong.  Have fun.” 

Mario slapped her on the butt.  She jumped in the air.  He stomped through the underbrush to the fountain and then winked at her.  Emmy muttered to the machine as she carved a path through the weeds to the outskirts of the clearing.  She made it two complete circles and noticed large green and brown clumps behind her. 

Bang!

She hit something hard and the motor cut off.

“Mario!  The thing died.  I hit a rock or log.  Could you help me?”  

 He tossed down the branches and raced over to her.

“Are you alright?  I only heard you say ‘help me’.”

“Yes.  You are sweet.  The lawn mower shut off after I ran over a boulder.”

“Boulder.” He laughed. “That happens on occasion.  Let’s see what you found.”

He pulled the machine back. They found a large broken engraved stone in the shape of a shield.  He lifted it up and black ant swarms scurried for cover. Their colony had been disturbed.

“Eww! What are those?”

“Ants, harmless.” He examined the engravings. “It’s Latin.  It’s part of my family crest.” 

“Can we move away from the ants? They seem angry!”

“It’s broken off from a large piece.”  He looked around the field.

“Mario, they are crawling on you!”

He moved a step away and shook his leg. “I bet there are more of these around.”

“Ants?” Emmy screamed. 

“No.  These stones.  Let’s find them.” He walked back to the fountain and gently placed it down in a clearing.  Emmy followed directly behind him.  

“You really didn’t spend any time outside as a kid?”

“No.  Bugs are so creepy." She shivered.  "They are still crawling on you!” 

Mario brushed off two ants. 

“I thought Tood was just blowing smoke when he claimed this fountain was a gift from his family.  You know, to help us work together better. According to the lore, the White Fountain can grant wishes, for a price.” 

“It’s just a fairy tale.  You mean my family.  Tood, rarely lies and is not spiteful.”

“Emmy, he called me a tool.”

“Okay.  Nevertheless, he knows the family history and wants this union to work.  I want this union to work.” She kissed him firmly on the mouth. “Can we move away from the creepers, please.” She hid behind him.

“I do too." He flicked a final insect from his sleeve. "Let’s find the stones.”

Within five minutes, they found the second one next to the fountain.  The third and fourth were under a fallen walnut tree.  Mario chopped through the dead tree to retrieve them.  Emmy assembled the pieces and determined there was either one large fifth remnant or two smaller ones remaining.   

Mario went back to clearing up the fountain.  Emmy began to master the lawnmower.  He showed her how to fill it up with gas and how to cut the grass meticulously.  Her circles were crooked but less clumps.  Mario fired up the weed wacker and cleared off the marble benches.  He discovered red bricks around the fountain and three brick paths buried under mounds of dead leaves and soil.  Mario carved the debris away along the edges.  The couple shoveled the layers away from the bricks. 

 They soon piled dead branches and sticks away from their work.  When a cold wind blew, Mario found matches and started a small fire.  Emmy struggled to cut the small branches with a tomahawk.  They weeded around the flower beds and discovered four small rose bushes, two red and two white.

Emmy found a pail with the tools and began removing the black water from the fountain base.  Emmy barfed when she scooped up a dead robin and it touched her skin.  Mario continued as she recovered.  As the water lowered, Mario discovered the last piece of the engraving.  He drained the pool as Emmy finished the stone puzzle. She read it to herself, shrugged, and she snapped a pic.  She stepped back from the fountain and digitally captured all their hard work.  They added wood to the fire and finally sat down to rest. 

Emmy sat on his jacket.  She leaned her head on his shoulder.  He placed his left arm around her.  His right hand stoke the flames.

"This place looks better. We did lots of work." Emmy said.

“I am so hungry and thirsty.” Mario said, “I should have brought a water bottle or a snack.”

“Me, too.  What time is it?”

He put his fire stick down. “It’s almost noon.”

“Mario, do you hear that? It’s a gurgling, bubbling sound.”

He listened. “I hear the fire crackling and some birds tweeting.”

She scratched her head. “It’s the fountain.  It’s filling up!" 

They sprinted to the dirty structure.  Clear water slowly filled the basin.  Mario touched it and waved his hand in pain.

“Is it hot?” Emmy asked.

“No, iceberg cold.” He grabbed the pail and filled it up. 

“What are you doing?”

He dumped the freezing liquid over the stones. The dirt, debris, and ants washed away into the ground. 

“I want to read it.  Whoever reads the whole inscription gets his wish fulfilled.  One more should do it.”

Emmy remained silent.

He dunked the bucket again into the now rushing water.  He splashed the engraving again.  As he turned back to get more, the fountain erupted into a geyser of pure spring water.  He and Emmy were instantly drenched and freezing.  

“Mmarrriooo, lloookkk.”  Emmy shivered.

The saturated stones weld into a cohesive white marble and the massive cracks vanished.  Mario and Emmy touched the polished stone.  They stepped back from the beautiful fountain and realized the continuous fresh water had not only cleaned the base, but the bricks as well. 

The trees rustled.  A familiar shadow emerged from the path carrying a large metallic pole.  Todd strode directly to the fountain and slammed the pole into the middle of the gushing water.  The white engraved stone rose six feet into the air and magically attached to the silver staff.  A bright blue wave of energy exploded and then rippled from the fountain into the surrounding woods.  The dripping man faced them.

An ethereal light emitted from the white marble.  Todd scrambled to the young couple.  A godlike voice echoed through the waters. 

“Who has restored the White Fountain, the Fountain in the Woods, and cleansed the Eternal Waters.”

“We have O’ Greatest of Oasis.  We seek your blessing and guidance.”

“The father, the daughter, and the enemy are allies and friends.  For your acts of kindness; all you ask of me will be granted.  What blessings do you seek?”

“Wisdom to rule and defeat our true enemy.” Tood said.

Emmy spoke, “Resurrection of my father’s kingdom.”

Mario said, “Peace and prosperity for our people”

The Eternal Waters spoke to Todd first, “Your enemy lurks near and stands ready to pounce at any weakness.  The attack will come soon from the north, but your eyes will not see it.”  

It’s attention focused on Emmy and Mario. “From your loins the kingdom will rise to greater glory.  Beware, others seek to steal your love away.  Peace is close at hand for you. Your offspring will not see you prosper.”

Tood asked, “What guidance can you give me?”

“Dodge to the left.”

Water splashed and blocked his vision, “Wha…” 

A metal pitchfork pierced through his stomach.  Emmy screamed.  Blood gurgled from his mouth and gushed from his torso.  He kneeled in the dirt and crashed to the wet bricks.  He died facing south. 

Mario scurried away from the fountain, bloody tool in hand, and sprinted toward the woods.  A hatchet zipped in the air and flew at the assassin.  It embedded into the base of his skull.  Blood splattered as he tumbled to the ground, twitching.  Emmy ran to her lover and ripped the hatchet from his head.  A final blow finished him off.  Dots of crimson stained her face and clothes.  She dropped the weapon. 

“Rest in peace, sweet Mario.” She affectionately cupped the outer parts of her jacket. “Your son shall rule both kingdoms.”

She returned to the waters. 

“Thank you great fountain for your warning about his treachery.  I understood your puzzle.  I am forever in your debt.” She bowed and spotted her father’s body. 

“Your empathy and bravery shall mark your long reign.  You are more than you appear.  Child, why have your eyes become fountains?”

“My father did not deserve to die in this manner.” She wept. 

“I shall grant you this mercy.  After I diminish, make him drink from my waters. He shall not remember what occurred.  Keep the waters clean, my Queen, and I shall serve you, forever.”

The glow faded. The metal pole lowered and white marble sank into the bubbling geyser.  The simple fountainhead covered the engraving and it resumed its renewed and lovely appearance.  A soft gurgle reverberated from the clean quiet pool.

She snatched the pail, filled it, and rushed to Todd’s side.  Tender hands lifted his head to her lap.  Crisp water cascaded into his throat and rolled down his face.  The puncture wounds disappeared and his clothes weaved back together.  Her father coughed up the water, but remained unconscious. 

Emmy whispered, “Thank you, Fountain in the Woods. Until we meet again.” 

February 29, 2024 21:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

23:39 Mar 06, 2024

Wow, The story was meandering and I had no idea where it was going. Then wham, action packed at the end! I loved the exchange between the fountain and the characters and how its word played out.

Reply

Keith Menendez
14:11 Mar 07, 2024

Thanks. I tried to contrast the peaceful woods and fire to the fountain and the characters. It was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.