Contest #142 winner 🏆

What You Can Do With Your Book

Submitted into Contest #142 in response to: Start your story with someone being given a book recommendation.... view prompt

272 comments

American Funny Friendship

You present me with a gift bag as if legions of angels will descend, trumpeting your thoughtfulness in remembering my [insert celebratory event here]. 

I’m gracious, of course. 

You shouldn’t have!

And I mean that. You shouldn’t have. Because now you are stepping over the line. 

We are simply:

  1. co-workers 
  2. mothers with children at the same school 
  3. neighbors with dogs 
  4. old-friends-from-college, or 
  5. spouses-of-old-friends-from-college. 

Regardless, we are not on gift-bagging terms. Especially the kind you immediately re-gift to other peripheral friends: scented candles, cheap chocolates, fuzzy socks, calendars, coffee mugs.

You shouldn’t have!

Because now I need to remember if you were born in March or April. I need to invite you to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and overpay for complicated chicken salads and Diet Cokes. We will debate for a nanosecond about ordering a slab of artery-strangling dessert. We will joke about cheesecake being high in dietary protein. Yet when the waiter returns from clearing our half-eaten salads, we will trill together in unison: Oreo Dream Extreme Cheesecake! (What’s a little heart disease amongst gift-bagging friends?)

You shouldn’t have!

I’m holding the gift bag in my hands, both of us standing with frozen smiles on our faces. 

Now what?

You are expecting me to open the gift bag—like there isn't a googolplex of more important things that I need to attend to. But who am I to hold up the unveiling of your selfless act of generosity? 

Let’s just open up the frickin' bag, shall we?

Since you coughed up $13.99 for one of Hallmark’s finest, I take my time, appraising the bedazzled foil and colorful ribbons, as if it were the work of a 19th century Post-Impressionist. As expected, animal-related puns are splattered across the front: “Thinking of Ewe!” “Feline Fine!” “Let’s gopher a drink!”

Isn’t that clever? We both agree that it is.

Between forced chuckles, I wonder when we, as a society, quit taking the extra four minutes to thoughtfully wrap presents? At what point did we, collectively, agree that it was socially acceptable to shove gifts into a bag, not even bothering to remove the clear plastic hanging tag? And as a follow up, what’s the point of gift bags for wine?

All questions for another day. It’s time for me to cull through the vibrantly-colored tissue paper—fuchsia, electric blue, chartreuse—and see what treasure there is for me at the bottom. Midway down, my fingers touch what you’ve selected. 

Good god, woman. 

What. 

Have.

You.

Done.  

By the size and heft of your gift, it’s clear that you’ve purchased me a book. On purpose.

Let's get one thing clear: I like to pick out my own books. I have a stack of them by my bed that I'm never going to read, and now I have to add yours to the pile? To compound insult to injury, you're going to ask me about this book when I see you again. 

I use all of my remaining bandwidth to pull out this publication from your gift bag, read aloud the title like a sacred scroll, and then find some authentic way to say thank you for the worst present ever. 

In the meantime, let me ask you one thing: What were you thinking? 

I mean, let’s just say you bought me a cookbook. Neither you nor I are going to master the art of French cooking in our lifetime, and I don’t think I need Giada De Laurentiis’ hot take on grilled cheese. At this point in American cuisine, we have given up. We’ve ceded dinner to DoorDash or whatever overpriced shit is shoveled into the Home Chef or Blue Apron box, prepped in an airport hangar, ensconced in enough ecologically-toxic packaging and dry ice to make me think twice about driving thru Chick-fil-A for the third time this week. Look. Neither of us are mincing garlic or zesting an orange peel. Even if I do like one of these sixteen-part recipes, I’m going to have to hunt down tarragon at Food Lion, use an eighth of a teaspoon, and then let the rest rot in the back of the pantry. Pass. 

Poetry? If you purchased a book of poetry for me, it’s probably one of your friend’s or relative’s timeless works, and you’re just abusing the Amazon algorithm to jack up their sales. And fun fact: unless you are physically intimate with someone, it is illegal in most states to gift books of poetry. That’s just the law. 

True Crime—as opposed to fake crime? Dominick Dunne and Erik Larson notwithstanding, I don’t think I need to slog through the sick underbelly of mankind. Isn’t that what HLN is for? 

As for a mystery? At my age, most things are a mystery: the sociopolitical landscape, what’s going on with my neck, my spouse, the viability of my career, my belief in God, what my children do on the internet, and my cat’s ability to throw up exactly where I step. Why complicate a complicated world even further? I don’t need any more surprises. Keep your mysteries off my nightstand.

Fantasy. OMG. If you bought me the first installment of any fantasy series, I will drive over to your house and burn it down. Of course it is part of a sprawling six-part hexalogy with a companion guide listing all of the neologisms (with maps!) Why wouldn’t I enjoy an excruciatingly detailed realm with a hundred characters and settings? Although I appreciate the intensive world-building some author has conjured up in his parent’s basement, I’ll wait until Netflix buys it, effectively ruining it as only Hollywood can do, by ensuring there is a video game tie-in and family-friendly plush toys.

Science fiction? Re-read the above.

Romance? I mean, that is just cruel. You and I are far past the bodice-ripping stages in our lives. No one with abs is sneaking through our garden gate. And I’m less worried about the Deviant Duke of CastleWaterBridge tingling my nether regions and more concerned about my 401(k) being ravaged by inflation. 

Short stories? If I want paper-thin characterization, clichéd themes, and a mere hint at a plot, I’ll write it myself.

Oh no.

No no no no no.

I can no longer hold my smile as I choke back waves of nausea. 

You did it. 

You bought me the #1 New York Times best-selling self-help book.

You shouldn’t have!



April 17, 2022 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

272 comments

Paul Wilhite
18:15 May 14, 2022

Very inciteful and fun. You have a clever voice Deidra thanks for a couple of good laughs. I too have an old friend from college who carpet bombs me with a box of books every few months. Most of them find their way into our library's dollar book box. But, it is a compliment when a friend wants to share those topics with me that he finds important - so I try to read a few pages between ...commercials!

Reply

18:23 May 14, 2022

Agreed. I actually love when someone gives me a book. It definitely tells you what they think of you (haha)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lee Ann Johnson
15:58 May 05, 2022

This is my first experience with your stories; it won’t be my last. Even as a fan of gift bags I enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:27 May 03, 2022

And while I may not have a hunk coming through my garden gate I always joke with my husband I will catch him "steamingly" coming from dragging out the garbage cans, rising up from the mists of that stench....but then I did imagine he was himself, five years ago with all the baby weight HE gained while I was pregnant. Lucky me, right? LOL

Reply

16:49 May 03, 2022

He's taking the trash out. 5-star husband!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harnoor Kaur
14:42 Apr 30, 2022

Great job!!!!!!

Reply

22:02 May 01, 2022

Thanks!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
23:23 Apr 29, 2022

Deidra: Such a smart, sassy, relatable story. You are able to deftly put into words the emotions, disappointment, and embarrassing disdain most of us probably feel. I loved it and laughed all the way through. Congratulations on well-earned win. You just keep coming up with unique points of view that somehow hit the high points in the human condition Maureen

Reply

22:04 May 01, 2022

Thanks Maureen! I cannot wait to talk with you on the podcast in a couple weeks. I loved your last story about the young boy who loved the dog who loved the cat. Great :)

Reply

Felice Noelle
21:34 May 03, 2022

Deidra: I've never done a podcast before. And I have no cellphone. But I do have a new Lenova laptop, have downloaded the Discord app and have a microphone available. Am I correct in assuming I will receive instructions from you and Russell? I just want to be prepared because it takes me longer to do everything because of problems from the meningitis I had. I just need a little time to get things in order so things will run smoothly for you. Hope to hear from you soon, but know you are very busy. Thanks. Maureen

Reply

23:44 May 03, 2022

Maureen, I just send a Google Meet link and you're on! We have you scheduled for May 14 @ 5:00 p.m. We can practice tomorrow if you like (Wednesday, 5/4) Email me lovegren.deidra@gmail.com with a time and we'll practice :) Russell and I are very laid back. All is well. Also, maybe pick 3-4 stories you'd like to discuss...? Email me the titles ahead of time so I can read them in depth :) Looking forward to speaking with you and discussing your endless array of amazing stories!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jim Loughran
21:41 Apr 29, 2022

loved it - read it twice - laugherd out loud

Reply

23:27 Apr 29, 2022

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
16:52 Apr 29, 2022

Hey!!!!!!!!!!! This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although as a writer, you kind of insulted books, but in an amazingly beautiful way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked it a lot, definitely a winner! Congrats!

Reply

16:59 Apr 29, 2022

Some books needs to be insulted. And most authors. :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:00 Apr 29, 2022

Yeah True.... =D Are you a teacher?

Reply

17:01 Apr 29, 2022

12th grade :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:06 Apr 29, 2022

Nice, my class =D Check my bio, you can ask your students to participate, if that's possible

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jes Jess
08:24 Apr 26, 2022

tick

Reply

13:45 Apr 26, 2022

tock

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
17:06 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jay McKenzie
06:51 Apr 20, 2022

This is great! Oh, how I despise opening gifts in front of people. I'm that awkward oddball who can't handle being given gifts - I hate it! And yes, I particularly hate it when people buy me books that I'd never read. I adore my partner, but we spent our first Christmas together after just three months of dating. He bought me the autobiography of a comedian I had never heard of (and car wax, weirdly). That was a tough one to ride out on my face! He now buys me books I actually enjoy, so redemption is possible! So, to my (many) favourite p...

Reply

15:24 Apr 20, 2022

Car wax? You are a patient soul. Over the years, my husband has bought me a strawberry huller, a cooling wrack, and Steve Martin's biography. (So I feel your pain...and I buy my own presents these days.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveditha S
09:19 Apr 18, 2022

Been there...done that...ended up surprised... The curiosity when someone gets you a book and you simply have to know what it is. The fear of getting a book you wont like...and in the end it'll be one of those books you'll need and will use :)

Reply

11:51 Apr 18, 2022

I look forward to being surprised. I usually just feel that I've been assigned homework. Someone once gave me "The Goldfinch" at 771 pages. (771 pages!!) I felt I was being punished...

Reply

Shea West
12:41 Apr 18, 2022

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Next up Moby Dick!

Reply

13:22 Apr 18, 2022

Call me Ishmael. "Call me" Blondie - 1980

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
22:54 Apr 18, 2022

OH, no, I loved "The Goldfinch." As usual, I have a story that goes with it...When you've survived as many years as I have, you'll probably have a story for almost anything, right? Anyway, my granddaughter suggested it for me, and in my foggy memory I forgot "goldfinch and substituted some other bird's name, I think it was something really inane but there was a book with it as its title and I order it off Amazon and was amazed at how terrible it was. Then granddaughter reminded me of the correct title and I reordered, read and loved it. I...

Reply

23:11 Apr 18, 2022

I dutifully read "The Goldfinch". All 771 pages...and I still have PTSD from it. Like Hamlet, it could have been halved. (And I love Hamlet, but in the words of Polonius: "This is too long". Act 2, Scene 2.)

Reply

Felice Noelle
23:27 Apr 18, 2022

I just read some really crappy reviews of it, lascerating poor Ms. Tartt who is still clutching her Pullitzer to her ample bosom. I'll admit, there are some parts of many books I just sort of move through on cruise control. I just can't help it, I was raised on Michener and Pearl Buck and Dost (however you spell it_I always read for escapism and probably still do unless forced to read nonfiction for my own edification, says my husband. Who can get lost in Robert Kiyosaki's "Who Stole My Pension?'??? I even loved John Grisham until he b...

Reply

23:45 Apr 18, 2022

Pearl S. Buck is my all time hero. "The Good Earth" should be required reading. I would pay money to have a long lunch with Ken Follett :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:51 Jun 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

17:29 Jun 15, 2022

You better believe it. :)

Reply

Unknown User
19:24 Jun 15, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

00:12 Jun 16, 2022

You probably gave very thoughtful, very interesting books. Proceed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lorretta Frei
18:49 Apr 29, 2022

Without knowing what in her background made this character so angry, hostile, and unappreciative, I cannot understand this story or feel involved as a reader. Despite the point (I assume) that gifts are essentially insincere, I don't know what the story or message is meant to be about.

Reply

18:52 Apr 29, 2022

Good thing the Reedsy judges did.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:12 Apr 29, 2022

Hey there Lorretta, I can understand how at first glance this might not be your cup of tea but Deidra is actually using a very common literary tool. Good writers know how to exaggerate to make a point. If you are a new writer I can see how that might have gone right above your head but if you read some of the other comments they might help you to understand the genius of Deidra's story. I'm looking forward to your first story on Reedsy, I'll be at the front of line to give you some constructive feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Ron Merkin
17:54 Apr 29, 2022

I don't know what to make of this. Is it too hackneyed - too single minded / repetitive? Without revealing any "softness" in the narrator does it strain credibility? Do the nastiest humans harbor at least a little gentility? Could a balance exploring that add diversity instead of the same point made over and over? Is the narrative in general too one themed? Some points to think about in a text I found on to be well worded at times.....

Reply

18:11 Apr 29, 2022

Or maybe it doesn't take itself too seriously...

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:54 Apr 29, 2022

Ron, I saw this comment and was floored. I believe you are entitled to your opinion and have every right to express it, but this seemed to be intentionally hurtful and I'm not sure why. You could have taken your own advice and softened your criticism and still made a point. Here's the thing, I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make. You offered no specifics on what parts you found nasty or repetitive. You offered no suggestions on ways Deidra might have made this piece better. You just were mean. I'm going to give you the benefi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.