Contest #142 winner 🏆

What You Can Do With Your Book

Submitted into Contest #142 in response to: Start your story with someone being given a book recommendation.... view prompt

272 comments

American Funny Friendship

You present me with a gift bag as if legions of angels will descend, trumpeting your thoughtfulness in remembering my [insert celebratory event here]. 

I’m gracious, of course. 

You shouldn’t have!

And I mean that. You shouldn’t have. Because now you are stepping over the line. 

We are simply:

  1. co-workers 
  2. mothers with children at the same school 
  3. neighbors with dogs 
  4. old-friends-from-college, or 
  5. spouses-of-old-friends-from-college. 

Regardless, we are not on gift-bagging terms. Especially the kind you immediately re-gift to other peripheral friends: scented candles, cheap chocolates, fuzzy socks, calendars, coffee mugs.

You shouldn’t have!

Because now I need to remember if you were born in March or April. I need to invite you to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and overpay for complicated chicken salads and Diet Cokes. We will debate for a nanosecond about ordering a slab of artery-strangling dessert. We will joke about cheesecake being high in dietary protein. Yet when the waiter returns from clearing our half-eaten salads, we will trill together in unison: Oreo Dream Extreme Cheesecake! (What’s a little heart disease amongst gift-bagging friends?)

You shouldn’t have!

I’m holding the gift bag in my hands, both of us standing with frozen smiles on our faces. 

Now what?

You are expecting me to open the gift bag—like there isn't a googolplex of more important things that I need to attend to. But who am I to hold up the unveiling of your selfless act of generosity? 

Let’s just open up the frickin' bag, shall we?

Since you coughed up $13.99 for one of Hallmark’s finest, I take my time, appraising the bedazzled foil and colorful ribbons, as if it were the work of a 19th century Post-Impressionist. As expected, animal-related puns are splattered across the front: “Thinking of Ewe!” “Feline Fine!” “Let’s gopher a drink!”

Isn’t that clever? We both agree that it is.

Between forced chuckles, I wonder when we, as a society, quit taking the extra four minutes to thoughtfully wrap presents? At what point did we, collectively, agree that it was socially acceptable to shove gifts into a bag, not even bothering to remove the clear plastic hanging tag? And as a follow up, what’s the point of gift bags for wine?

All questions for another day. It’s time for me to cull through the vibrantly-colored tissue paper—fuchsia, electric blue, chartreuse—and see what treasure there is for me at the bottom. Midway down, my fingers touch what you’ve selected. 

Good god, woman. 

What. 

Have.

You.

Done.  

By the size and heft of your gift, it’s clear that you’ve purchased me a book. On purpose.

Let's get one thing clear: I like to pick out my own books. I have a stack of them by my bed that I'm never going to read, and now I have to add yours to the pile? To compound insult to injury, you're going to ask me about this book when I see you again. 

I use all of my remaining bandwidth to pull out this publication from your gift bag, read aloud the title like a sacred scroll, and then find some authentic way to say thank you for the worst present ever. 

In the meantime, let me ask you one thing: What were you thinking? 

I mean, let’s just say you bought me a cookbook. Neither you nor I are going to master the art of French cooking in our lifetime, and I don’t think I need Giada De Laurentiis’ hot take on grilled cheese. At this point in American cuisine, we have given up. We’ve ceded dinner to DoorDash or whatever overpriced shit is shoveled into the Home Chef or Blue Apron box, prepped in an airport hangar, ensconced in enough ecologically-toxic packaging and dry ice to make me think twice about driving thru Chick-fil-A for the third time this week. Look. Neither of us are mincing garlic or zesting an orange peel. Even if I do like one of these sixteen-part recipes, I’m going to have to hunt down tarragon at Food Lion, use an eighth of a teaspoon, and then let the rest rot in the back of the pantry. Pass. 

Poetry? If you purchased a book of poetry for me, it’s probably one of your friend’s or relative’s timeless works, and you’re just abusing the Amazon algorithm to jack up their sales. And fun fact: unless you are physically intimate with someone, it is illegal in most states to gift books of poetry. That’s just the law. 

True Crime—as opposed to fake crime? Dominick Dunne and Erik Larson notwithstanding, I don’t think I need to slog through the sick underbelly of mankind. Isn’t that what HLN is for? 

As for a mystery? At my age, most things are a mystery: the sociopolitical landscape, what’s going on with my neck, my spouse, the viability of my career, my belief in God, what my children do on the internet, and my cat’s ability to throw up exactly where I step. Why complicate a complicated world even further? I don’t need any more surprises. Keep your mysteries off my nightstand.

Fantasy. OMG. If you bought me the first installment of any fantasy series, I will drive over to your house and burn it down. Of course it is part of a sprawling six-part hexalogy with a companion guide listing all of the neologisms (with maps!) Why wouldn’t I enjoy an excruciatingly detailed realm with a hundred characters and settings? Although I appreciate the intensive world-building some author has conjured up in his parent’s basement, I’ll wait until Netflix buys it, effectively ruining it as only Hollywood can do, by ensuring there is a video game tie-in and family-friendly plush toys.

Science fiction? Re-read the above.

Romance? I mean, that is just cruel. You and I are far past the bodice-ripping stages in our lives. No one with abs is sneaking through our garden gate. And I’m less worried about the Deviant Duke of CastleWaterBridge tingling my nether regions and more concerned about my 401(k) being ravaged by inflation. 

Short stories? If I want paper-thin characterization, clichéd themes, and a mere hint at a plot, I’ll write it myself.

Oh no.

No no no no no.

I can no longer hold my smile as I choke back waves of nausea. 

You did it. 

You bought me the #1 New York Times best-selling self-help book.

You shouldn’t have!



April 17, 2022 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

272 comments

Ashley Bowie
14:15 Apr 25, 2022

I love that this is entirely the internal rant that happens when someone does something uncomfortable. The pace is perfect for feeling the emotions and conveying the 30 second plot. Loved it!

Reply

17:59 Apr 25, 2022

Woo hoo! Thanks, Ashley. I appreciate the love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lavonne H.
03:44 Apr 25, 2022

OMG! I can't stop laughing ...rolling on the (rather icky) floor. This is entirely each and every thought I have had for the last 10 years with non-wanted gifts (you could add the ubiquitous gift cards for hardware stores into the mix as well.) Deidra, I won't bog down all the comments you already have, repeating what wonderful lines you have typed. Except to say "As for a mystery? At my age, most things are a mystery: the sociopolitical landscape, what’s going on with my neck, my spouse, the viability of my career, my belief in God, what m...

Reply

11:18 Apr 25, 2022

Now gift cards are another story . . .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erin Belmares
03:00 Apr 25, 2022

This piece is awesome it’s like exactly how those interactions go but no one dared to say it I love it so much

Reply

11:18 Apr 25, 2022

Nice to know the feeling is mutual :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie B
21:45 Apr 24, 2022

I've lost count of the number of times I've said to myself, "I’m less worried about the Deviant Duke of CastleWaterBridge tingling my nether regions and more concerned about my 401(k) being ravaged by inflation. " Let's no longer fake-orgasm our way through life!

Reply

21:51 Apr 24, 2022

That's quite a mantra. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
11:55 Apr 23, 2022

I really liked the humour in this piece - especially the paragraph on fantasy, which was my favourite - I almost felt called out 😂 This is probably one of my favourites of yours. Another great story in your library.

Reply

19:07 Apr 23, 2022

You related to an old suburban lady's gift bag rant? :) And I'm waiting (patiently) for your fantasy novel. Let's go already.

Reply

Alex Sultan
15:24 Apr 29, 2022

easy win 😎 Congratulations, friend.

Reply

16:48 Apr 29, 2022

Sent you an email. Think about it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
11:18 Apr 23, 2022

"Short stories? If I want paper-thin characterization, clichéd themes, and a mere hint at a plot, I’ll write it myself." Ahahahaha what an absolute burn for every writer here from this delightful character! Imagine if she knew she was in a short story though, hehe. This was so fun to read - and actually, yes, totally relatable.

Reply

19:08 Apr 23, 2022

Thanks, Riel. I was actually lampooning my own particularly stupid writing style. So a triple burn. And gift bags are horrible things...just sayin'

Reply

Riel Rosehill
19:23 Apr 23, 2022

My sister agrees - I remember she said something like if you can't be bothered to wrap it, don't gift the thing... Same here. Wrapping is key (thought I'm spectacularly bad at it)

Reply

19:51 Apr 23, 2022

Exactly. Too much geometry involved. And I always run out of tape :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Deidra, I just entered the contest for the first time since the entry fee started. I would greatly appreciate feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:06 Apr 22, 2022

Ha! Love it. Funny and witty, reading this is a great way to start the weekend :) It never occurred to me how weird the phrase "you shouldn't have" is with respect to gifts. Here it gets stronger with each repetition. I like the rundowns of the categories. Probably fantasy the most, as I can picture young-me poring over maps and lists of neologisms in Wheel of Time or something, heh. One thing that stood out to me was the passage "At what point did we, collectively, agree that it was socially acceptable to shove gifts into a bag, not ev...

Reply

19:12 Apr 23, 2022

I think I live for your insightful commentary these days. It's one thing to give a gift and leave. But those who stick around "to watch" the opening?? That seems a little vainglorious. As a teacher, I hate putting on a show -- "GEETHANKSFORTHE$5STARBUCKSCARD" -- while a parent beams with pride. Yeesh... And you aren't wrong on rituals, most of which have lost their meaning. Thanks for the insightful comments, per normal. You should write the forward for every Reedsy story, I swear.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Apr 29, 2022

Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L.M. Lydon
15:31 Apr 22, 2022

The narrative voice in this story is just so strong, jaded and cynical. I really enjoyed reading it! The "Because now I need to remember if you were born in March or April" paragraph was particularly spectacular, as were the one relating to cookbooks and romance novels!

Reply

13:00 Apr 24, 2022

Thanks, LM. Tis the season to be snarky :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ray Dyer
02:02 Apr 22, 2022

Fantastic as always! I haven't swung by in a little while, and I was missing stories that made me laugh, while making me insanely jealous, while also making me say, "Oh my GAWD...that's so true!!!" I love the twists on the catchphrase throughout, and how perfectly you capture what is wrong with receiving an unwanted copy of each genre and why. I kept thinking, "What could possibly be worse than this," and the conclusion was properly forehead-slappingly inevitable. I love your ability to grab the perfect adjective for any situation. I'll n...

Reply

12:57 Apr 22, 2022

(What to do when the comment is better written than the story?) SOLOMON HART -- !! Say no more. Say no more. (Now I'm channeling Monty Python.) Solomon Hart is my guy. Do you like vocal? How's the community?

Reply

Ray Dyer
19:43 Apr 22, 2022

That warms my heart so much! I do like Vocal, but I'd be crazy not to. I've actually *won* a challenge there, after all! :D But the two sites complement each other well. On Vocal, to get access to the big opportunities, you pay a monthly or annually. Fiction challenges are fewer but the prizes are much larger. Reedsy asks for payment by the week, if you enter, and the prizes are much smaller with a faster turnaround. There is no actual Vocal community, but there are two absolutely amazing Facebook groups. The first is Great Incantations,...

Reply

19:16 Apr 23, 2022

Agreed. I can't quit Reedsy. It's prompted a lot of good work and provided the genesis for a couple novels or so. And I love the community. Great people. So much talent. Vocal is pretty cool. Not a bad companion website, for sure :)

Reply

13:06 Apr 24, 2022

Totally joined both FB groups. See you online :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
19:16 Apr 21, 2022

Deidra, simply fabulous! Perhaps the title of the self-help book should have been "How to Overcome Sarcasm in 12 Easy Steps"-that might have brought the narrator off of her perch of privilege.

Reply

12:44 Apr 22, 2022

Oh Mike, this narrator is past sarcasm and into the Juvenalian void of pitch black satire. She definitely needs a yoga class and a glass of red wine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:31 Apr 21, 2022

Another clever humorous tale! Week after week, you continue to put out solid material for us all to enjoy! I'd take my hat off to you, but you write so many great pieces my hat pretty much stays off, hahahaha!! Great job once again!! Loved it! :)

Reply

12:43 Apr 22, 2022

Why Mr. Hayes, you are a fine gentlemen and I appreciate your gallant comment. (Not sure why I'm doing a Scarlett O'Hara voice. Oh well.) You know writing is my free therapy. This was a cathartic experience, per normal (or ab normal, as the case may be).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daria White
03:12 Apr 21, 2022

This reads like David Sedaris and Dave Barry met at a bar one night and got collectively angrier discussing book gifts as the wine and beer flowed. "Even if I do like one of these sixteen-part recipes, I’m going to have to hunt down tarragon at Food Lion, use an eighth of a teaspoon, and then let the rest rot in the back of the pantry." I belly laughed while glancing back at my own pantry of which every spice but the cinnamon has suffered the same fate. Greatly appreciated the burn at short stories. I have nothing to critique. There's so mu...

Reply

12:41 Apr 22, 2022

That's quite a complement. I'd pay to have lunch with those fine chaps. Sedaris & Barry are world-class funny :) And I agree, cinnamon is the only spice we really need. (Not sure who came up with "cloves"...)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Sheehan
12:55 Apr 20, 2022

A self-help book? Who in their right mind gives one of those to an acquaintance?! Good God woman, what have you done?!

Reply

14:04 Apr 20, 2022

I know, right? So Mary...any chance you'd like to talk about books, writing, and life on the most laidback podcast in the world? https://www.readlotswritelots.com/ If so, drop me a line: lovegren.deidra@gmail.com

Reply

Mike Panasitti
19:20 Apr 21, 2022

I didn't receive an invite, so I must be proper and pose the question: may I drop you a line about the podcast? Thank you, and I think "frickin's" just fine.

Reply

01:46 Apr 22, 2022

Yes! We’d love to have you. Fire off an email 📧

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:55 Apr 19, 2022

I will never get over how hilarious and relatable this was to me. I usually hate opening gifts when the person's still with me because then, the facial expressions will show. Sometimes, though, I think giving gifts to people is beautiful and sometimes I do it too. I love this story. I love how we get to learn about two different persons even with no name, really, to shove us in. The narrator, especially, seems like a complex character with her thoughts and anger, and emotions. I'm just like her too. I can't keep up with fantasies. I mean,...

Reply

18:38 Apr 19, 2022

Thanks, Abby. This main character is a little shrill and bitter for my tastes; maybe she'll take a vacation and reconsider her life choices. (Or find a good self-help book on anger management?) Always great to hear from you and read whatever fantastic stories you are conjuring up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:45 Apr 18, 2022

Your production rate is actually insane (and so is the fact that you manage to make every story original and entertaining and funny and still somehow fit the prompt while putting a unique spin on it)?? I am in awe. :)

Reply

23:16 Apr 18, 2022

This is probably my favorite comment of all time. Thanks, Username. I appreciate the kudos.

Reply

01:41 Apr 19, 2022

Ahh thank you so much! Quick question... do you know how many hours it usually takes for you to write your short stories? It seems like this one in particular was posted at lightning speed.

Reply

14:53 Apr 19, 2022

Rants are easy to write. I normally look at the prompts and mull them over for a day or two. When I'm ready, I sit down and write. I don't get up until it's done (except to find a bag of chips to eat mindlessly.) This process could be 45 minutes to six+ hours based on the genre (historical fiction, I'm looking at you.) The next day, I may change a couple things (and then change them back), but I'm easily distracted (squirrel!) and find myself moving on to the next project. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
09:30 Apr 18, 2022

Hahahah brilliant, and so true. I currently have three gorgeous scented candle gifts waiting for regiftage. There isn't a sniff of a candle anywhere in our flat, which must make people think it's what I'm missing, but no, I loathe candles (especially scented which give me a headache and make me feel sick) Note: must not regift to giver. Favourite line - "Short stories? If I want paper-thin characterization, clichéd themes, and a mere hint at a plot, I’ll write it myself."

Reply

11:50 Apr 18, 2022

Regifting to the giver is always a risk... I particularly despise coffee mugs, especially the ones with "clever" sayings. And for whatever reason, I'm getting lots of socks ??? (That's a little too intimate. Back off, Mothersocker.)

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
15:34 Apr 29, 2022

Oooo congratulations! 🎉 Who's the Queen of Reedsy?

Reply

16:40 Apr 29, 2022

I can't be a 50-year-old Princess? :( hahahaha

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
16:44 Apr 29, 2022

You can be whatever you want to be 😉

Reply

17:06 Apr 29, 2022

I'm going to be a Marchioness. Sounds fancy...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shea West
01:44 Apr 18, 2022

Favorite lines: Good god, woman. What. Have. You. Done. I think you just recited my inner monologue when I receive gifts at times. I absolutely went and Googled the #1 New York Times best-selling self-help book to see which one it might be... Did you have a specific one in mind? Who Moved My Cheese? Girl Wash Your Face (barf)? The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k? I love your wit and ability to say it like it is!

Reply

11:05 Apr 18, 2022

Really any of them, but I think "The Secret" is the most odious.

Reply

11:53 Apr 18, 2022

And granted, this SATIRE is a little extra snarky -- but we must kill the demons as we find them.

Reply

Shea West
15:39 Apr 29, 2022

As if there could have been any other winner this week ?!

Reply

16:39 Apr 29, 2022

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
E.D. Human
09:31 Oct 06, 2023

I'm only late to the party,by like a few months ...but this was worth it . I peed in my pant, you stole my thoughts at every gift ever presented to me... perfection! Love love,love

Reply

11:16 Oct 06, 2023

❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
19:44 Oct 05, 2023

I just went story surfing, looking at past winners, and found this absolute gem. love it!

Reply

11:17 Oct 06, 2023

🎁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.