35 comments

Science Fiction Friendship Funny

The line is one block deep by the time I arrive.

I always tell myself I’ll get to the shop early, but life intervenes with burnt toast or my landlord banging on my door asking about back rent. Sure enough, I don’t get to Marty’s until after eleven, and there it is--the line.

“How’s it moving today,” I ask the woman in front of me.

She gives me half a glance before taking another drag of her cigarette. Her coat is too thick for autumn weather, and her shoes look like they’ve been sewn back together once or twice.

“Slow,” she says, “Everybody’s taking their sweet time.”

Perfect. I’ll be late for work again. The only reason I haven’t been let go is because nobody else will take the job at the pay they’re offering. I work at the orange juice factory downtown removing the pulp from the juice that’s headed for the pulpless containers. It’s easy work, but it eventually erodes your sense of smell and taste. Everywhere I go, it’s citrus. It was pleasant enough at first, but now it’s starting to drive me mad.

The line does indeed move slowly. I debate calling out sick from work, but I don’t have any sick days left, partially because I never had any to begin with. They recently passed a new law that sick time only needs to be provided to sick people who can’t work. When someone pointed out that people who can’t work don’t need sick time, the government added a new holiday to the calendar, and everybody got excited and forgot all about the sick day conundrum. I forgot about it too until the first time I had a cold and realized I had to go into work anyway.

“Next up,” yells Marty at the door, “Move it along, move it along.”

I don’t remember him yelling like that at anybody else. As soon as I’m next in line, suddenly there’s a rush. I smile at him as I pass. Marty looks like a saloon owner from the Old West. Big, broad shoulders and a bald head that always seems to be covered in sweat. He wipes at it with a rag he keeps in the back pocket of his jeans, and when he sees me smiling at him, he squints his eyes as though I’m a hallucination.

“Four minutes, max,” he says, even though I know the people before me got more than that. Marty’s had a problem with me ever since my last two payments to the shop were returned. It’s not my fault that I spent a long weekend in Venus when I didn’t have any money in my bank account. Prioritizing mental health is important, and mental health costs money, and if you don’t have money, you still have your priorities.

That’s the morning mantra I tell myself as my toast is burning.

Inside the shop, there’s a small table with a phone placed on it. The phone looks like one of those old landline phones from sixty years ago. I sit down in the wooden chair provided for an additional dollar, and pull the folded up piece of paper out of my wallet. No matter how many times I call this number, I can never remember it off the top of my head. The phone rings a few times, and I wonder where she could be. It’s not like she has anything else going on aside from traversing the landscapes of eternity.

I pick at a tear in the red cloth that covers the table. All around the shop are photos of loved ones that people have tacked to the walls. Some people like to see the people on the other end of the phone while they’re talking to them. I have no such desire. I’ve mostly forgotten what Melinda looks like, and that’s just fine with me.

“Hello?”

Her voice is always the same. A little tired, a little aggravated. A faint Boston accent, and a light cough. I don’t know why she still has the cough since she no longer has lungs or a body to keep them in. Maybe it’s just an affectation.

“Hey Melinda,” I say, “How are you?”

“Other than being dead,” she says, “I’m not half bad.”

Before I can ask another question, she launches into a story about playing bingo with Elizabeth Taylor. Something tells me it’s not the real Elizabeth Taylor, but I don’t stop her, because the more she talks, the more she’ll eat away at the four minutes, and then I have an excuse to go. I find it unfair that some of the other people get to talk longer, but that’s only because I resent inequity wherever I see it. When it comes to the particular circumstances of this weekly call, I’m all too happy to cut it short.

“...And she tried saying she wasn’t cheating, but I knew she was,” Melinda continues, “Just like she cheated on that poor husband of hers. One of them anyway.”

“Yup,” I say, “Uh huh. Uh huh.”

“Are you still working at that grape juice emporium?”

“It’s an orange juice factory.”

“If you say so.”

Melinda does not approve of my job. When she was alive, she worked as a lunch lady at the elementary school I attended. She saw it as a noble job, serving young children healthy meals to nourish their growing minds. Most of the lunches were just soggy fries and hamburger patties, but she believed in her work all the same.

Nobody in my life has ever really gone out of their way to be nice to me. Even when I was a kid, my parents would only acknowledge me if I asked for something like clothes to wear to school or a ride to the doctor when I broke my wrist in gym class. I always suspected that they only had me for the Population Preservation Tax Credit, and while they weren’t abusive, they certainly weren’t affectionate. When I graduated from high school, I didn’t see them at my graduation. I came home to find a new family living in our house with a box of my things in the driveway. There was no note.

The only person I can remember showing me any kindness was Melinda. She would always give me extra soggy fries and ask me how my day was. When I broke my wrist, she sat with me until my parents sent a taxi to bring me to the hospital. Once I left elementary school, I would stop by my old cafeteria just to say “Hello” to her. She’d slip me some hash browns and tell me never to end up working in a grape juice emporium. For a long time, she was my only real friend. Despite our age difference and her curse-filled stories about her ex-husband, it didn’t seem all that strange.

One day I went to check in on her and found another woman standing at her spot in the lunch line. She told me that Melinda had passed away a few days ago of cardiac arrest. I was pretty torn up about it, but then I saw the woman hand me a folded up piece of paper with a phone number on it.

“Here,” she said, “She left this for you.”

The next day I went to Marty’s.

Since then, I make it a point to go once a week, but, if I’m being honest, I really wish I’d never started coming in the first place. No matter what kind of relationship you have with people when they’re alive, it never holds up after they’re gone, especially not when it’s all based on phone calls in a little shop on the West Side. I realized pretty quickly that I only knew Melinda as a child and that, as an adult, we didn’t have all that much in common. I still appreciated how nice she was to me when I was younger, but checking in on her every week had become laborious. I would have stopped, but I worried she’d feel like I had abandoned her.

“....But say one word about Richard Burton, and she goes right off the rails,” Melinda was carrying on, a little cough after every fourth word.

“Elizabeth Taylor sounds like a real piece of work,” I said.

“Elizabeth Taylor?” said Melinda, “I was talking about Olivia de Havilland.”

“Oh,” I said, “Uh. Sorry.”

“Hey bub,” she said “I don’t mean to be rude, but, uh, I’m not sure how much more time I’m going to have for these little chats.”

I nearly fell off the wooden chair. The time was running out, and I could see Marty wiping at his brow as a scowl formed across his face.

“You mean you don’t want me to call you anymore,” I asked.

“It’s just that you don’t have much to say,” she said, “It’s always ‘My toast burned this morning’ or ‘Venus wasn’t as nice as they said it would be’ or ‘You’d be amazed how much pulp an orange can produce.’ It’s not exactly stimulating conversation.”

It’s true that what we had here wasn’t much more than an exchange of pleasantries, but I always assumed Melinda looked forward to it. Could it be that she dreaded these calls as much as I did?

“I don’t mean to rush you, but I really need to go,” she said, “Liz and Dick are meeting me for polo, and if I’m late, I catch hell for it. Take care of yourself, bub.”

The line went dead.

I stood up and made my way past Marty, who mumbled something about how I’d left the tablecloth askew. The line had shrunk by the time I got outside. Just a few people waiting to go in and speak with their loved ones, or ones they thought they loved, or just people they wanted to keep in touch with for some reason.

On the way to the juice factory, I stopped at a travel kiosk and scrolled through a few options. Saturn looked nice, but it was out of my price range. Then again, everything was out of my price range. I scrolled further and found a discount on a two-day trip to Enceladus. I don’t find moons to be all that enjoyable, but I hit “Book” anyway just to give myself something to look forward to.

I once asked Melinda if the Afterlife was like space, she told me it was more like a three-star hotel. You don’t hate it, but it doesn’t thrill you either. You exist and you exist and you exist and every so often the phone rings, and you get to talk to somebody on the other side.

“That’s when you remember that not everybody gets to experience a three-star hotel,” she said, “And you quit your bellyaching and go back to playing bingo.”

The booking to Enceladus didn’t specify what kind of hotel I’d be staying at, but I hoped it was at least three stars. The one I stayed at on Venus was nice, but everybody kept talking about how amazing the crusted magma smelled, and all I could smell was citrus. The rocks all around me looked like oranges, and the smoke rising up from underneath them made me wonder if I ever remembered to unplug my toaster oven.

October 20, 2023 18:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Danie Holland
15:10 Oct 27, 2023

I really feel for our protagonist here. Often times we establish a relationship with ourselves based on our parental figures relationship to us. What’s interesting here is how our MC had a less than affectionate relationship from his parents side and then he goes on the rest of his life seemingly without able to feel much affection towards the things in his life. Even his lunch lady, he has gratitude but not really affection. Even this, he is ready to sever. So just like his parents, he doesn’t really know how to show affection — we see this...

Reply

Story Time
17:11 Oct 27, 2023

Thank you so much, Danie. That observation about who's really dead was something I hadn't considered, but makes a lot of sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
16:10 Oct 26, 2023

Interesting concept - the monotony & mundane routine of these telephone calls…. I like the quip: “She’d slip me some hash browns and tell me never to end up working in a grape juice emporium” then later asks him about his job in the said grape juice emporium which isn’t 😆

Reply

Story Time
17:05 Oct 26, 2023

Thank you, Shirley! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:32 Oct 25, 2023

More than any other, the line "No matter what kind of relationship you have with people when they’re alive, it never holds up after they’re gone" stood out to me. It's key to the story, but it's also the very nature of haunting, or remembering someone who isn't around anymore. As this story shows us, letting go is sometimes the best step forward. It also shows us how easy it is to get mired in habit, and how both parties might be reluctant to do anything about it out of fear of harming the other. I think it's understandable in the case of ...

Reply

Story Time
00:25 Oct 26, 2023

Thank you so much for engaging with the story so fully, Michal. There's something about the story that really devastates me as a reader, but I feel there's a real liberation happening here. The idea that, if we could, we'd hold on to people forever and that would be wonderful, when really, we might see some distance start to form.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:27 Oct 23, 2023

Nice work giving a commentary on the mundane aspect of life, rather than placing all emphasis on the communication with the afterlife. It emphasized that no technological or supernatural advance will make our life any easier. This was also emphasized with the typical "uh huh, uh huh" on the phone like it's just a day like any other. Is it wrong that I read "move it along, move it along" in the thickest New York accent imaginable? :) although you did specify Boston later on. Really enjoyed this. Clever way to juxtapose wild concepts next t...

Reply

Story Time
16:33 Oct 23, 2023

Thank you so much, Tom.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
20:53 Oct 21, 2023

I like how you embed the mundane phonecall in lots of other everyday details about his life so it really seems like a totally ordinary thing. That makes it weirder and gives the odd magical/future world a good sense of place. Good story, Kevin.

Reply

Story Time
17:34 Oct 22, 2023

Thank you so much, Chris.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
02:31 Nov 01, 2023

Great story! We do fall into habits of keeping up relationships out of obligation, or what we think of as obligation.

Reply

Story Time
03:42 Nov 01, 2023

Thank you, Hannah. I appreciate you reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.A. Grace
06:17 Oct 31, 2023

Really interesting concept and loved the dystopian tone. Nice one for going sci-fi on a ghost prompt.

Reply

Story Time
16:12 Oct 31, 2023

Thank you, M.A. Appreciate you reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
16:29 Oct 29, 2023

What a fun fantasy. The prompt is a cool premise enough - being able to call the dead. But setting it in space gives it even more of an engaging twist. That, and the fact that the dead doesn't even want to talk to their living caller anymore. The old lunch lady is an unusual relationship, too, which adds to the comedic tone of this piece. Very enjoyable read, thanks!

Reply

Story Time
04:23 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brenda Wilson
16:15 Oct 29, 2023

This was a fun read! Very creative take on the prompt. I like how even just through conversation and the short story, I really get a feel of your characters voices. They were very life-like and believable with their own set of nuances. Nicely done.

Reply

Story Time
04:23 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you so much, Brenda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:09 Oct 28, 2023

I love this. It's awesome that all the little details hint at the world without actually explaining everything. I love when he realizes he's been doing something nice for her and she doesn't actually want it...I've definitely been there! I haven't had time to write in so long, it's fun to get back on here again. Would love your thoughts on my most recent piece.

Reply

Story Time
04:23 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you, Rachel, I'll give it a read now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
12:04 Oct 28, 2023

This sort of whimsy is right up my street. I'm so glad I picked this to read. It takes me right back to the heyday of sci-fi and I could well see this as a Featured story in 'Galaxy' or 'Astounding'. Really good job, well imagined, well written and entertaining. Thank you.

Reply

Story Time
04:24 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you so much, Malcolm. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
11:48 Oct 28, 2023

Exist exist exist. That seems to sum his life. The phone call was a chore that now he was free from, but it doesn’t seem he will be replacing it with anything more exciting! To us, the chance to talk to someone who has passed would be an emotional and exciting experience. It’s interesting how you’ve turned that into something mundane in this story. So in this world, maybe it didn’t matter if people passed away because there was the known opportunity to keep in touch with them. Maybe that changes everyone’s perspective on “the end” and death...

Reply

Story Time
04:24 Oct 30, 2023

Thank you so much, Nina.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:10 Oct 22, 2023

So fictitious and true to life, here and the hereafter. So the future doesn't sound like it will amount to much.😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
E. B. Bullet
16:37 Nov 04, 2023

As someone who dislikes phone calls, the idea of dying and having someone ring for me on occasion feels like a hell LOL. I wonder if the after life gets prank calls?? Wonderful story!

Reply

Story Time
19:41 Nov 04, 2023

Thank you so much, E.B. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.K. Adams
03:18 Nov 03, 2023

Nicely done. The pace is fantastic. I'm gonna read more of your stuff.

Reply

Story Time
04:48 Nov 03, 2023

Thank you so much, Cameron!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:20 Nov 02, 2023

Great story Kevin! The twist where she didn't want to him really caught me by surprise. But then it really made me think about the narrator, and how he could be more positive about life, and the lesson of how we can all project things onto other people when maybe we should think about ourselves. Playing bingo with the ghost of Elizabeth Taylor sounds more fun than complaining about taking the pulp out of oranges!

Reply

Story Time
16:51 Nov 02, 2023

Thank you so much, Scott. I didn't see that coming either, but it was an interesting surprise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
GRACE TIBBETTS
01:24 Nov 02, 2023

Fun story. I think of the idea of calling up the dead would be very much like this... they are dead and have moved on, and so should we. You point this out in a realistic and rather comical way. I like how this becomes drudgery for both of you, an obligation no one really wants to keep up. And how the future of moving to different planets and phoning the dead, though sounding fun and adventurous, would not be so fun if you're still a broke guy with a deadbeat job.

Reply

Story Time
02:42 Nov 02, 2023

Thank you so much for reading, Grace.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bethany Brown
21:41 Nov 01, 2023

I love how much worldbuilding you did in so few words! You didn't over-explain the fact that they apparently have space travel and phone calls to the dead, but it didn't feel confusing either. It just was. I thought it was really well crafted! I really loved the story! I thought you did a great job!

Reply

Story Time
20:29 Nov 02, 2023

I love leaving little breadcrumbs that could be expanded out however a reader likes. It's why I love this genre :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.