2 comments

Drama Thriller Fantasy

I finally made it home. It’s about time. School felt like forever. I enter my home and sit on the couch. I soak in comfort and take off my shoes. Thank goodness I finished my homework during silent reading time. Basically I am reading when I read the problems, so my teacher has no problem with it. She told me as long as I am quiet, she doesn’t care if I do my homework. I can take a quick nap before my parents arrive, right? I don’t remember them telling me to do anything before I got home. My room is clean, the kitchen sink is free of dirty dishes, and you can basically eat off the toilet seat. I can just relax.

“Son!” What? Is that Dad? I open my eyes to see both my parents staring at me. Wh-What? I fell asleep? When? Oh, crap! Am I in trouble? What did I do?!

I quickly stand and shout nervously, “S-Sorry! I don’t remember if you told me to do something!”

“Son, we just want to talk to you,” Dad calmly stated.

“Oh. Sorry for yelling.” Dad laughs, but Mom isn’t. Mom nudges Dad, who swiftly goes silent. It must be serious if Mom isn’t laughing.

“Sit at the table.” I listen to Dad and sit at the bench at the table. Usually, I sit in a chair, but for some reason I felt the urge to sit with my parents. Both of them sat by me. Mom on my left and Dad on my right. I got chills from my feet, that were dangling, all the way up to my head. Something’s not right. “You’re twelve now, Silas. Me and your mother were talking and we have something really important to tell you.” Are we moving? Are they getting a divorce? 

“First of all,” Mom tells me, “We want to let you know that we love you so much.” They’re getting divorced! Oh, no! What went wrong! “You are very important to us and we would do anything for you!” Okay, that’s just a lie. I wanted the X-Pro One-Hundred Bike, but they told me no. Is it cool? Yes. Is it expensive? Of course. It’s only seven hundred dollars. Dad asked me if I would rather have food or the bike and of course I said food, but that’s when he won the argument, so fine. I don’t care anyway (yes I do).

“We want to give you a life of happiness,” Dad says, “Something that we didn’t have.” Just tell me already! “We have to let you know…” Please, I’m gonna die of anticipation. JUST SAY IT! “You were adopted.” My heart drops. 

I chuckle, “‘Adopted?’” That’s impossible. I look just like Mom. No. No way!

“I know it’s a lot to take in, Silas.”

I turn to Dad and reply, “That’s not funny, Dad.” I turn to Mom. Her poker face shook me even harder. Suddenly, my palms get sweaty, “Tell him that it’s not funny, Mom!” Mom sits quietly as her eyes well up. “Mom!”

She frowns and replies, “I’m sorry, son…but it’s true.” What?! Why are they continuing this joke?! It’s not funny! Stop! STOP IT NOW! “That’s why we don’t have any baby photos of you…we adopted you when you were about two years old…I’m sorry, Silas…” Mom hides her face, so I’m left dumbfounded. I’m cold. So cold. Why is this happening?! I feel the warm hug from my father. All these years I’ve been lied to. Mom embraces me.

“I know it’s a lot to take in, son,” Dad says, “but you will always be a part of this family. We love you very much!”

“We love you, Silas!” Mom sobs. No they don’t! How could they love me if they’re not my real parents?! I’ve been living with strangers my entire life!

I lay in bed, gazing at the ceiling. For some reason, my body was super cold, even under the covers. I had to sleep in my socks and I never sleep in my socks, but I was too cold. I glance at my clock that tells me, 1:33 AM. I sigh and walk to the Living Room. Maybe some T.V. will take my mind off things. I watch my favorite cartoon, Evil on the World’s Stage. It’s a good show about a woman who finds out she’s royalty and goes on an adventure to kill her sister before she’s deemed World Ruler. She’s evil though and I like that. I’ve always gravitated to antagonists even though I know they lose.

About half-way through my episode, Dad strolls in and stares at me. “I’m sorry,” I say, “I-I couldn’t-”

“It’s okay, son,” he interrupts and asks, “Do you want to talk some more?”

“No. You guys answered all of my questions.”

He sits next to me, “How do you feel?”

“I’m okay,” I lied. 

“Are you sure?”

“I just want to take my mind off of it for now.”

“Okay,” he stands.

“Dad,” he turns to me, “Please…stay with me…” I try not to cry. He sits back down with me. I put my head on his side as he wrapped his arm around me. I’m warm now. 

“It hurt me to hear that your mother was barren,” he admits to me, “We wanted to adopt you because I felt something special within you like you were The Chosen One or something.” What is he talking about? “The Nun told us that you were a very quiet boy. She said that you were going for a new streak. Fifteen days without talking, but when you saw us. You smiled, waved, and said, ‘hi.’ If that wasn’t a sign, I don’t know what is.”

“Is Silas my real name?”

“It is.”

“But not my last name?”

“No. Your last name was Franklin.”

“Are my real parents still alive?”

“I don’t know, son. Why?”

I ball my fists and reply, “I just want to know who they are.” I’ll kill them! They abandoned me?! Me! They think they’re just gonna drop me off and keep it going! How dare they! I’ll kill them all! Every single person that put me in this situation!

“...Silas…” Dad crashes through my thoughts. A teardrop falls to my hand at the same time. “It’s okay to be upset. 

“Why did you guys have to tell me?” I look him in the eyes, “You couldn’t just keep it a secret till your death!” Tears rush down my cheeks as I back away from him. “If you didn’t tell me, I wouldn’t be so upset! Don’t tell me that it’s okay for me to feel this way! I don’t want to feel this way! I’m so upset…I want to run away!” Mom enters the room. I stand and back away from them. I shiver and continue, “I’ve been living with fakes all of my life! You would love me more if I was your real child! You people are built on the belief that reduced love is real!”

“That’s not true,” Mom defends.

“It is! You don’t know what real love is because you can’t get pregnant!” Mom gasps. “I hate myself and I hate you!” I glance at the kitchen knives in their holder.

Dad hugs me tightly and says, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for telling you, Silas.” Why is he apologizing?! That’s not what I wanna hear. “I thought you were ready, but I was wrong. I don’t know what it’ll take for you to calm down, but I’m willing to do anything. I don’t wanna lose you.” I’m warm again. I open my palms and hug him back, sobbing like a little baby. What is this? This feeling is so enchanting. How could I lose trust in the ones that loved me from the start? What was I thinking? What was I saying? Of course they loved me. They have from the very start. Please forgive me. 

I close my eyes, but when I open them, I was in a completely different place. It was pitch black and I was standing on an invisible floor. I stare at my pajama bottoms when something tells me not to look up. I disobey and what I saw terrified me. A massive floating eyeball.

“Silas Peterson!” Is it talking to me? How? It doesn’t have a mouth. Its voice changes constantly as it continues, “You made the wrong choice, Silas.”

“Wh-What are you talking about?”

“You were supposed to kill them, but you didn’t.”

“Kill my parents? Why-Why was I supposed to?! Didn’t I do the right thing?!”

“You did, but you weren’t supposed to.”

“What?!”

“Allow me to explain,” I turn to my left to see a man dressed in a cloak and hood, covering his face, “Every world that I create has to have a villain or antagonist that the protagonist defeats. Without either one of them, the world becomes corrupt and immediately trashed.”

“What are you on about?!”

“You were supposed to be the villain of this world, but you changed your mind. Why?” How did he know that I changed my mind? 

I solemnly reply, “I overreacted. It wasn’t right for me to think the thoughts I had. Killing the only ones I know and venture out to the unknown. It’s not worth it.” He stares at me silently. 

“What’s the verdict, Jasper?” the eyeball asks. Jasper? Jasper. Why does that name sound familiar?

“A boy that values adopted family over his own pursuits. This is the first time I’ve been wrong. I thought for sure this would create a villain, but it didn’t. Where do we go from here?”

“Put me back with my family,” I say.

“It doesn’t work that way. Once you see me, you can’t just return back to your normal life.”

“Then what can I do?”

“Usually a person would die if they saw Jasper,” the eyeball informs.

“WHAT?!” I scream.

Jasper tells me, “Of course, but that doesn’t have to be the case for you. Your world is already gone.” Gone? “There’s only one option for you.” He holds his hand out to me and demands, “Join another world. I will plant you into another world where you will be alone to fend for yourself. Of course, the world’s power system and resources will be available, but you will be alone. That was the plan for you anyway. A lone kid with the intention to fulfill every selfish desire.”

“I don’t want to do that!” 

“I’m afraid you don’t have a choice and you will have a new name to blend in with the culture.”

“No! You can’t make me!” 

“Your new name will be Jacob.” 

I levitate and scream, “That’s bullcrap! Bullcrap!”

“Impress me Jacob and I might revive your world.”

“I’ll kill you! Do you hear me?! I’LL KILL YOU!”

“Then I’ll be waiting.” Immediately, I fall face-first to the ground. I stand and see a distant town. I ball my fists as my body turns stone cold. Jasper! I stroll to the town. I will find you! Mark my words!

[Author's note: Thank you for taking the time to read this short story. If at all possible, please send me a review of your overall thoughts. I would like specific criticism on my use of dialogue and the ending of this story. Did the conversations feel normal? Did the ending feel rushed? I appreciate the read. Have a great day.]

May 29, 2024 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

C Ingy
19:42 Jun 02, 2024

Hey Lucas! Great story. I loved your interpretation of the prompt and how the "right thing" was actually the wrong thing in the eyeball's and Jasper's eyes (no pun intended!). Concerning your dialogue, I've always found it difficult to capture an emotional conversation in a way that sounds natural, but both Silas' internal and external dialogue seemed mostly accurate for a twelve-year-old. You captured the all-or-nothing mentality that most children have which is great, and you also fleshed out the stages of grief in his response to the big ...

Reply

Lucas Alexander
22:23 Jun 05, 2024

Thank you so much for leaving this comment! I appreciate every single critique I am given. For my next submission I will improve on the time passage aspect since that is where I struggle most. Also, I didn't even think about describing the town so thank you for bringing that to my attention! I love your comment! Thank you so much for reading! It is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.