30 comments

Science Fiction Friendship Drama

The tinny voice echoed in General Zamoxโ€™s ear.

Your recruit, Caelan Wexer, will show up at precisely 5:02 a.m., and her excuse for being late was that she saw a felis in the hallway.

That, of course, was the Smokeweb, the cutting edge technology humans had invented right before they went extinct one hundred years ago, being replaced by a newer species, the homos.

Archeological digs had found Smokeweb and had been instantly intrigued. What was the small wafer of metal? What was its purpose?

They had discovered that Smokeweb could tell what a homo would do. When they would show up, what they would say in a conversation. All the homos of power, mayors, presidents, and generals had them. They were surgically implanted in their heads.

And thatโ€™s how Caelan got in trouble.ย 


Caelan had seen a felis in the hallway, and almost tripped over it. Felisโ€™ were small creatures, ranging in sizes from being no bigger than one's palm to being as long as someone's leg. They were incredibly smart and agile creatures, with keen ears and noses that were good for hunting.ย 

This particular felis had a thorn in one of itโ€™s paws and was screaming in the hallway, itโ€™s screeches bouncing off the walls and reaching Caelanโ€™s ears.

โ€œHey, little fella.โ€ She said. โ€œDo you mind if I pull that out?โ€ย 

She bent down and gently pulled the thorn out of itโ€™s paw. It gave her a grateful look and scampered off.

She ran into her training at precisely 5:02 a.m., hoping the General Zamox wouldnโ€™t notice her lateness.

โ€œRecruit Wexer!โ€ The general roared.

Caelan whimpered. โ€œYes, General?โ€

โ€œYou are late. Again.โ€

โ€œYes...I was, um...helping a felis in the hall.โ€

The general raised an eyebrow, but she moved on.

Caelan knew she had been expecting the answer. Smokeweb had probably told her before Caelan had even gotten there.

She fell into rank, with all her gear weighing her down. A uniform with all the equipment of a Solfid warrior was a lot. A sword, spear, a shield so large Caelan was sure she could sled on it, a dagger, a helmet, armor, and thick, heavy combat boots.

After drilling, lots of drilling, General Zamox called Caelan forward as everyone was dismissed.

โ€œI need you to come with me, recruit.โ€

Caelan was puzzled, but in Solfid you learned that you never argue with any warrior. She followed Zamox down into the lower reaches of the training center, into an underground pathway. They emerged in a room that Caelan had never seen before.

Before her, in around a crescent table, sat the president.

Romulus Dormax was the president of Solfid, among the other titles he carried as a drunk, a powerplayer, and a scoundrel.

โ€œRecruit Wexer.โ€ The president smiled, and a smell like blood flowed forth from his ruby red lips.

She bowed. โ€œPresident Dormax.โ€

โ€œRise.โ€ The president checked his reflection in one of the many mirrors that surrounded his office. โ€œSolfid needs you.โ€

She will say yes, the Smokeweb insisted,going against Romulusโ€™s previous doubts. She would be stupid not to.

โ€œI need you to participate in a secret mission.โ€ The president said. โ€œTo help our beautiful country.ย 

There is an...object. This, ahem, object, has been stolen by our neighbors to the north, Glaucus. They will use it to destroy us.โ€

Caelan remembered back to her school days. Glaucus meant bluish grey, and that perfectly described their scenery. The mountains that ringed their country were beautiful, and also the perfect natural border to keep Solfid and Glaucus apart.

โ€œDo you accept this quest?โ€

โ€œYes.โ€ Caelan said.

โ€œGood.โ€ The president said. โ€œGeneral, take her and prepare her.โ€

Zamox steered her out of the presidentโ€™s office. โ€œYou are lucky.โ€

โ€œHow so?โ€

โ€œYou are the Chosen One.โ€

โ€œWhy? Iโ€™m only a recruit. Iโ€™ve only served for a year.โ€

โ€œHe has an idea you are a great warrior. After all, your name means powerful warrior.โ€

Caelan didnโ€™t know that.

โ€œSo, where are you taking me?โ€ She asked.ย 

โ€œYour quarters for tonight. You leave tomorrow at first light. You will also meet your questmate.โ€

โ€œQuestmate?โ€

โ€œYes. Are you hard of hearing?โ€

They walked the rest of the way in silence.



I told you she would say yes.

โ€œI know. I shouldnโ€™t have doubted you, Smokeweb.โ€ Romulus said.

Never doubt the smoke. It consumes all.



Caelan pushed open the door that Zamox had directed her to. She saw a bunk bed, and before she could register anything else, a petite figure landed in front of her.

The girl had orange hair, blue eyes, and a big smile.ย 

โ€œIโ€™m Aella!โ€ She said, thrusting her hand out to shake. โ€œYour questmate!โ€

โ€œCaelan.โ€ Caelan said, shaking Aellaโ€™s hand.

โ€œWe are gonna be best friends!โ€ Aella said enthusiastically.

Caelan chuckled nervously.



The next morning, Caelan woke to Aella shaking her.

โ€œWake up wake up wake up wake up!โ€ Aella said as she shook.

โ€œIโ€™m awake.โ€ Caelan noted that her friend was probably the most hyperactive homo ever.ย 

Before they knew it, they were being given the specifications of their mission.

โ€œYou will go to Glaucus. You will take back the object-โ€

โ€œWhat is the object?โ€ Aella interrupted.

โ€œYou will know when you see it.โ€ General Zamox said.

Aella made a small noise. Hmph.


โ€œYou have your weapons?โ€ The general asked.

Caelan and Aella both nodded.

โ€œGoodbye.โ€ She said, and they were transported outside the safe gates of their home.



They will be victorious. The Smokeweb urged.

The president shook his head. โ€œSmokeweb. We chose one of them on your insistence, seemingly for the only reason that her name means โ€˜Powerful warriorโ€™!โ€

My instincts are correct.

โ€œAnd the other one! She is so hyper. It is not at all a surprise that her name means โ€˜whirlwindโ€™!โ€

You doubt them. You trust me, do you not?

โ€œYes, Smokeweb.โ€



After days of travel, they reached the capital of Glaucus. The country lived up to its name. Clouds hung over the city, turning everything grey. The occasional gap in the clouds revealed a little blue, reflecting on the windows of the skyscrapers.

โ€œThis is it.โ€ Caelan said.ย 

โ€œYep! Lets go! Do you have directions to the object?โ€

โ€œHereโ€ฆโ€ She pulled out a small sphere and tapped in a code. A virtual map shot up out of it. โ€œIt says...this way.โ€ She walked in a direction. โ€œNope! Other way.โ€

Aella giggled.

Soon they reached the capital building, a skyscraper taller than any other.

โ€œHello.โ€ A guard said. โ€œIdentification.โ€

Caelan held out a card.

โ€œBurgundy Rose, andโ€ฆโ€ He looked over at Aella. โ€œID?โ€

She also handed him her fake ID card.

โ€œAzul Rose.โ€ He read. โ€œGo on in.โ€

It was a law in Glaucus that every child had to be named after a color. The fake identification cards had been courtesy of the Solfid government, as they knew they would be needed to enter the building.

The lobby stayed within the blue and grey theme of the outdoors. A grey marble floor speckled with blue made the girls' boots click as they stepped.

They entered the elevator and went to floor 103, as they were instructed to. The elevator doors clicked open.



They have entered the building.

โ€œThank you, Smokeweb. General, prepare to hack the cameras! I want to see this.โ€ Romulus rubbed his hands together.

I do not know why.

โ€œBecause! The entire country of Solfid relies on this!โ€

They will not be happy when they see what they must take.

โ€œI donโ€™t care. They are simply pawns on the chessboard.โ€ Romulus chuckled, pleased by his use of Old Human vocabulary.

As you say. The Smokeweb said. But be warned: This may not turn in your favor.



Aella and Caelan stepped into a grey and blue hallway.

โ€œWhich way?โ€ Aella asked.

Caelan glanced at her map. She pointed right. โ€œThis way.โ€

The girls walked until they came across a silver vault door.

โ€œThis,โ€ Caelan said. โ€œThis must be it.โ€

Aella pulled out her sword and knife and pried the doors apart.

Out of breath, she muttered, โ€œShouldnโ€™t...have been...so...easy.โ€

The doors pushed open. Caelan and Aella stepped inside.

โ€œOh my goshโ€ฆโ€ Caelan muttered in astonishment.



They are inside.

โ€œI can see that!โ€ Romulus said. โ€œVery clearly.โ€

They will be the saviors of Solfid. At first, I was not sure, but now, I am positive. They will bring back the stolen.

Romulus turned on the screen, and saw the two girls step in closer.



โ€œIs thatโ€ฆ?โ€ Aella asked, her energy replaced by astonishment.

โ€œThe original.โ€

It was the original Smokeweb.

โ€œStop!โ€ A voice behind them shouted.

Aella and Caelan were two feet away from the Smokeweb. If they could just reachโ€ฆ

โ€œYou donโ€™t want to do this!โ€ The voice said again.ย 

Neither of the girls turned.

โ€œThat is the key to our future!โ€ The voice pleaded.

Then Caelan understood.

Everyone relied on the Smokeweb to tell them what was going to happen. The Solfids had forgotten what it was like to be suprised by the future, the good along with the bad. Surprises were what kept life interesting.

Yet the entire society that Caelan knew was based on expectations. No surprises.

Caelan wondered what it was like to have someone not know when she was going to walk in a room, or be late to her training.

โ€œNo.โ€

Everything stopped, as if the entire world was holding its breath.

โ€œWe rely on this for everything. There are no surprises anymore. Whatโ€™s life without a little spontaneousness?โ€

She grabbed the original Smokeweb and drew her dagger.

It sailed through the circuitry as if it was made of cheese. Sparks popped out of the broken piece of metal.

She looked at Aella when she was done. โ€œWill you stand with me?โ€ย 

Aella smiled. โ€œUntil the end.โ€

December 12, 2020 03:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Akshaya โœจ
11:20 Dec 16, 2020

Hi Caroline! I loved this story! Mainly the part where you explain about the algorithm that can predict behaviour. It was gripping until the very end. A part two would be wonderful! :) Great job!

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
15:30 Dec 16, 2020

Sure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
14:28 Dec 12, 2020

Great Job!! You know how I normally post tons of stories in short amounts of time? This contest I'm going to put a lot more thought into mine. Great Job!! i loved it!!

Reply

Thank you! And good luck! Your stories are really good, it amazed me how you could write four or five amazing stories in a week!

Reply

. .
14:35 Dec 12, 2020

Awwww, thanks!! Also, Nainika Gupta just took on that challenge and did it too!! I really love your stories too!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:18 Dec 18, 2020

Spectacular story!!! You fit so much action and description in for it just being a short story. You writing style was unique and it flowed wonderfully! The characters and world were so well developed. Also, Smokeweb was a great addition to the story! You should definitely write a part 2! I saw in your bio you were thinking about writing a Hunger Games fanfiction with characters from other books. I think that is such a great idea!!! I love fanfiction and it seems like it would be really fun to write. As far as tributes, I think you should pi...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
23:01 Dec 17, 2020

Hey!! Another great story :) So hooking, I absolutely loved it - plus the world you built up???? awesome!! and le gasp I'm part of yearbook staff too!!!! I love it and have been doing it all of highschool :)

Reply

thank you! le gasp- i love yearbook! i love designing posters and stuff, so yearbook is just so nice, when you have everything positioned the way you want it, and you see it in print- *sigh of content*

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:16 Dec 17, 2020

i def agree :)) and um...it feels weird to ask, but would you mind checking out my stories??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:45 Dec 16, 2020

Gosh after reading your bio I swear weโ€™re 90% the same person lol (Iโ€™d expand on that but I hafta go to bed, sooo...talk later!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Cassia Savage
05:41 Feb 27, 2021

I didnโ€™t know what story to put ๐Ÿงƒon. I read your bio :) And of course I had to read the story to. I love it!

Reply

Show 1 reply

Hey Carolina, Great story! Can you please give me some feedback on mine? https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/95/submissions/68977/

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.