0 comments

Funny Adventure Creative Nonfiction

It was happening. I had waited a whole year for this. Finally, there it was, just a day left. I was ready, of course. Nothing could go wrong. I worked too hard for it to fail because of my carelessness. Tomorrow was April fool's, and I had the best, if not perfect, trick up my sleeve. The plan was pretty simple. Mom would go around walking around the neighborhood around 4 pm every afternoon. Quite dull, if you ask me. Our town is one of the most boring towns to exist, but she went walking, and as long as she was out of the house, I didn't mind. Our neighbors have a dog, a husky. It's the most adorable creature on the planet, and I think she likes me. But mom doesn't. She's terrified of them. She saw a man getting bit by a dog once, and that memory never left her mind ever since. It was my job to do that, and that husky, it wouldn't hurt a fly if you ask me. Yes, I was gonna surprise her with the dog when she comes back. It's honestly a simple plan, but my mom's that terrified of dogs. And so, this is my best one yet.

So things went downhill. Ms.Sharon, our neighbor, who has the husky, won't let me borrow it. I lied to her first, asking whether I can take it for a walk tomorrow, and she said that she knows that I don't like wasting my time walking a dog, so I had to tell her the real reason. She completely disagreed with my plan, telling me, mom's a humble soul and that such a thing should never be done to her. I told her it was all for the greater good, that after seeing how adorable the dog is, it may slowly even remove her fear. She still wouldn't oblige, and so I had to walk out of their house very broken-hearted. I had an option B, of course, but I never thought I would have had to use it, but here I was, with no other choice. There was a street dog who lives next to the small park in the neighborhood. It's okay. It barks at whoever passes his small corner till someone gives it food to eat. He also doesn't like it much to be petted. But option B it is. 

The next day arrived very slowly. Dad did his usual prank call. He thinks I'm going to forget it after a year, I don't, but I pretend I do, for my dad's sake. Mom never cares about this type of stuff which makes me want to do it on her. It was a Saturday, so I missed the fun stuff that would happen in School, but what I was going to do, made me less bored. Finally, after like a million years, it became 4, mom's time to get out of the house. I went downstairs to open the door for her so that I could get ready quickly too. But as I reached there, mom was curled up on the sofa reading. Mom would never miss her afternoon walk. "mom?" I asked in my not at all freaking out right now voice. "Yes, sweetheart?" "Your afternoon walk, I came to remind you. Can't miss your afternoon walk." I tried to sound not interested at all because usually, I don't care. "I thought you never cared." My mom laughed. I laughed too. It came out like choked sobs. "I am not up for it today, and I'm pretty healthy now, don't you think?." If I had a bomb, I would blow up the house right now. I laughed, "mom. Been trying to tell you that for years now, you never listen." Mom smiled and went back to her book. Really, I had scenarios like that in my head, where she would not go, but I would shove it away because mom always goes for afternoon walks. Today, out of all the 365 days, she did not go. 

And so I made option C, to bring the dog home. I told mom that I'm going to see if the trash outside was empty. Stupid excuse, but she was too engrossed in her book to even listen. I ran, and oh, how I hate running. But I ran to where the dog is always. I guess the universe wanted to punish me today because what do you see when you go to the place where the dog always is? Nothing. I didn't have time to look for the dog because mom would already be waiting for me to come back any second now. And so I ran back home, God, how I hate running.

And so my plan failed. It wasn't supposed to be this way. It was supposed to work so perfectly. Mom would open the door, and the dog would jump up to her and lick her all over, while she would scream for whole two minutes. And I would be dying of laughter while also recording so that I could show it to dad after he comes from work. Well, the plan failed. I didn't have an option D. I couldn't think of one either. I heard knocking. Dad has come. Before I could reach downstairs to hug my dad, someone screamed, and it sounded a lot like mom.

 As I reached down the stairs in a hurry, imagining the worst, I saw my dad laughing his face off and recording while mom kept on screaming while the neighborhood dog licked all over her face. No way. This was my plan, and dad had managed to do it instead. My dad finally took the dog off mom, turned around, and found me. "Hey sweetheart, did you see that? Best reaction ever." "Well done, dad." I tried my best not to sound like if I had a knife in my hand, I would probably slice his throat. My mom got up, cleaned her face with her top, and looked at my dad. Well, I don't need to think about murdering my dad mom is going to do it soon anyway. Today was certainly not what I expected it to be, but it was quite a day alright, and maybe, even a good one. 

March 26, 2021 20:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.