13 comments

Science Fiction Friendship Fiction

***********************************************

Hey all, this has been a crazy week and I couldn't write until Friday, so this was a quick one. There isn't a lot of action, it is just a simple idea, but my goal with these prompts is to hit the deadline, much like the real world. :)


Thank you to the Reedsy community for all the support we all get here every week!

***********************************************


The thing about flowers is, they are blissful exuberance, even if it is only for a moment. They remind you to enjoy the small things because life is a fragile thread.


My grandmother was the green thumb of our family. She filled her gardens with lilies, orchids, roses and so much more. Every summer it was a beautiful array of chaos.


As a child, I remember thinking, everything is out of order. It’s like she just threw the seeds and let nature decide. If I planted a garden, I thought, I would organize it into seasons, color, and set boundaries accordingly. 


I guess I still approach everything that way.


After years of study and research in Botany, they granted me my Ph.D. I suppose it came naturally to me. I still can’t remember to water my own plants, but the science of life just fascinates me.


It had been 20 years since I spent summers with my grandmother; I was too busy to keep in touch. My job was demanding. My team was working to solve hunger in the most affected areas. We needed hearty plants that could grow in unique environments. 


Then the news came in a message; my grandmother had passed at home, on a Wednesday. It seemed too black and white for a person whose life brought so much vibrant color. The emotions hit me harder than I expected.


“I need a couple days to take care of some family matters,” I announced to my team.


“But Abbie, we are about to conduct field tests.” a technician named William says, wringing his hands, looking exhausted, like we all do. “This is our ony chance to get this right, our raw materials have run out."


“I know Will, I’ll take tomorrow morning, and be back in the afternoon. I promise” I reply.


That seems to ease the tension.


--------------------------------------


I wake to the usual breakfast, oatmeal, or something close to that. We are substituting a lot these days.


An hour passes. Why am I dragging my feet? I just need to get in the car and get this done. I doubt Gram had anything of actual value, but the authorities will only guarantee security for several more days, then her home will be fair game for looters.


I slide into my car and stare at the words on the screen ‘Where would you like to go?’ it flashes.


“Another planet,” I mumble.


“Auto-drive?” I say, “Take me to 386 Mulberry Rd., in Easton.” I fasten my seatbelt, darken the windows and close my eyes as the car begins its descent out of the parking garage.


“Call mom,” I say.


My connection barely rings before she appears on the screen.


“Abbie, thank God you are ok, I’ve been trying to call you. Where have you been?” 


“Mom, I’ve been working night and day, we have been taking shifts, I barely have time to eat and sleep these days. Don’t worry, I'm going to Grandma’s now. I’ll get anything that has value to us.”


“Are you sure that is a good idea, honey?” she responds, “with the rampant drought people are getting crazy, they are telling us to stay in our homes”


“I’ll be quick, the escalation hasn’t reached here yet,” I reply.


The conversation continues about her friend’s son or something; I tune it out until Auto-drive announces I am approaching the destination.


“Ok, mom I need to go. I'm here.” I say.


“Be safe,” she says as I end the call.


--------------------------------------


I remove the window darkening and the sunlight floods the compartment, I can feel the heat even inside the car, it’s bad today.


Stepping outside, looking over my Grandmother's home, it is a stark contrast to my memories. The front yard used to be overflowing with life, it is now a snarl of plant stocks, dried and bent. It reminds me of a makeshift graveyard from some old movie. The dust blows and swirls in the yard. Nature definitely gave up the ghost here.


The front door passcode is still the same after all these years. Entering the house, everything is dark; it was never dark when I was a child. She loved the sunlight, but she drew the shades and curtains to keep the heat out. The lovely smell of lavender is familiar, her essence still lingers in the air.


I thumb through papers, look over a few pictures, and smile at photos of me in pigtails. That seems like a hundred lifetimes ago.


“I better get this done,” I mutter.


I look through closets and in her bedroom; taking handwritten letters and notes. She had drawn so many of her flowers; the details are stunning. I didn’t even know she was an artist; I was just too self-absorbed as a kid to care.


Finally, I have a collection of belongings and mementos, now I just need a box.


The basement, maybe? I try the handle, but it is locked.


That’s odd.


Grabbing a key I found in her nightstand, I slide it into the lock and turn, and the bolt releases. The door opens hard; it had been shut for a while.


Stepping down the stairs, the cool air is welcoming. I search in the dark for a light switch, finding it, hoping the power is on, then a single bulb illuminates the basement.


The basement is a series of stacked boxes with labels on each one.


She meticulously organized this area, for a woman who seemed to have no rhyme or reason to how she planted things this is quite coordinated.

I look in each box; and find they are full of vacuum-sealed plants and seeds, categorized and labeled. 


I step back in awe, I just uncovered the holy grail. There are thousands of specimens here, roots and stems, vegetables, fruits and flowers of many kinds, things I haven’t seen in 10 years, preserved in all their airtight glory.


I literally hop up and down with excitement. The genetic material alone, stored away in this basement, is more than we have found in years.


“I love you, Grammy,” I whisper, “You didn’t just randomly throw the seeds in your garden, you really had a method to everything you did."


"You and I are not so different, and you may have just saved us all.”





April 24, 2021 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

KED KED
16:54 Apr 27, 2021

Well this was simply fantastic. At once, I thought it a lovely story about enjoying the brief, ephemeral beauty of simple experiences. I was struck by the description of her garden as a "beautiful array of chaos". I really love that. Then, as it went on, I remembered the prompt about the climate apocalypse. What a striking example of how to weave your character's personality and experiences into something that comes full circle in the end! I love the ending too...what a beautiful tribute to all the Gram's out there who remind us to st...

Reply

Cole Lane
01:50 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you, Kelly! You are awesome! You are so good at pulling out the points that mean the most. This prompt had a lot of post-apocalyptic plot options, I tried to allude to that with her mother's concern, but I didn't want to make it about that. Ultimately, it was really about Abbie discovering that her grandmother wasn't just throwing seeds. Every flower had been sketched and documented, every root, seed and petal stored. Abbie and her grandmother were very much alike, and in the end her grandmother gave back to Abbie and the world a lot o...

Reply

KED KED
02:11 Apr 28, 2021

I love that! Very touching and personal ♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A B
17:34 Sep 10, 2021

Wow really cool I kinda want a part 2 now great story!!!

Reply

Cole Lane
21:21 Sep 10, 2021

A coming dystopia! Resources are drying up, people are getting crazy (and it is more than just toilet paper they want lol) this could be an intense second story, The team of botanists are trying to find a way to bring healthy plants back to feed the world, but the violence in the outskirts will close in as everything dries up. I think an outline is forming!! Thank you!

Reply

A B
17:46 Sep 11, 2021

Ooh sounds awesome! I love dystopian stories and this was so good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:07 May 29, 2021

Hi Cole, this was really great! I think you wrote something very special here. It was calming to read, if that makes sense. I think the fact that the world was saved by Grammy was really touching. Saving all of those seeds and specimens was a miracle and what a great way to capture that moment right in the end. I thought that was a good touch :) I also appreciate the author's note in the beginning. This was another solid 10 for me. Great job!!!

Reply

Cole Lane
15:28 May 29, 2021

You are awesome! Thank you again! I've just barely scratched the surface of your collection. Man, it was funny with this story, I had eluded early on that there was looting and all kinds of general chaos in the world due to the shortage of things. My intention was to have one or two looters break into the house while she was there and have her try to get out with the precious plant samples intact. These thugs would have no regard for the value of the samples or what value they would bring to restoring the planet, but I always follow that pl...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:39 May 29, 2021

That's so cool, I thought you made the right choice by ending the story the way you did. It ends with hope, and that's always a great thing. :) Also, thank you. I think your a really good storyteller, and I hope you keep writing. I know I have a lot of stories, but I'm kind of learning as I go, so I like to put stuff into practice. That's why I write so much... lol :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
13:53 May 06, 2021

That was extraordinary. I love the take on this prompt. It was touching and well thought-out. It almost reminds me of Covid with Climate instead. “Are you sure that is a good idea, honey?” she responds, “with the rampant drought people are getting crazy, they are telling us to stay in our homes” Very nicely executed. Whenever I look at the prompts, I always chose the ones that stick out to me, or I am immediately inspired for, and then I note the ones I would have no idea for. This was the one I had ZERO inspiration for, and it's really coo...

Reply

Cole Lane
14:04 May 06, 2021

Awesome! Thank you! This was not my first prompt choice. lol! I'm not sure if this happens with others here on Reedsy, but I will start with a prompt that stands out, kind of get somewhere with it and then it just doesn't resonate any more. I outline, but even that fails me, or what I thought was a cool plot point gets me in a hole about word 2453. lol! Then suddenly another prompt winks at me. :)

Reply

Charli Britton
14:11 May 06, 2021

I completely understand that! Whenever I write a book (not a short story) I always struggle around 30,000 words. But after that it takes off and I am finished so quickly. There is always that stall point and it's annoying! What's the worst is when your writing a short story and its like 700 words and you just need 300 more... That happened with "Lavender Memories" and "Luminescence" So I had to go back and pack a bunch more detail in. Which I guess benefited me in the end. xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
02:44 Apr 28, 2021

And the Spring Fairy is here to sprinkle her dust to paint the daffodils; to bring birds. and song to your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.