0 comments

Adventure Fiction Mystery

           Michael received a letter stating that he was one of many who had been chosen to go on a train trip. He was told there was no need to pack anything (it would only be a one day trip), and that refreshments would be served, at no cost. He was advised to be at a certain station on a certain day and time.

           On the specified day, when Michael arrived at the station, he was amazed to see so many people milling about. “Are all these people waiting for the same train as I am?” he asks himself. Before he had time to ask anyone; the train arrived and everyone boarded. They were all guided to board the same car. Once everyone was seated, a welcoming announcement was made, and after the train makes two more stops, refreshments would be served.

           Meanwhile most passengers were whispering to their seat mates asking,” Do you know where we’re going?”  Michael noticed that every seat was occupied. He was in a full car of this mysterious train. He realized that a majority of fellow passengers were adults; some like him, were alone; some were with another person, and some were an adult with at least one child, and there were even several families. Michael could not see any commonality between him and his fellow passengers.

           Michael happened to notice while the train was going around a curve towards the next stop, that there seemed as many people waiting there as were at the stop he boarded at. Shortly, the train was on its way again. All any passenger could see out the windows was commercial buildings, backyards and more trains. After the last stop, they were served a delicious meal. Afterwards, it seemed that everyone wanted to take a nap, and the time flew by. Off and on, Michael would jolt awake and look outside. Then he would see grain fields and cows, from the one side of the train. He would strain to look out the window on the other side, without disturbing any other passengers. On that side, he saw huge trees, probably oak, among others. And then at one point he saw what seemed like a field of flowers; flowers of just about any color he could think of. 

           Slowly, the other passengers started awakening. There was the odd baby’s cry or the sound of a toddler’s voice when they are just waking up. The odd cough. He saw some looking like they were not sure where they were. The hum of voices started to fill the train car. Michael looked around and noticed the difference in passengers. It varied from those who were quite well dressed, to those who looked like they had been living on the street. The train came alive. Passengers were walking up and down the aisles, greeting others, asking the usual questions, like where are you from? Do you know much about where we are going? It seemed that everyone was puzzled. 

           Michael did not feel that the trip was taking a long time. He had the windows to look out, the other passengers to talk to, or read (he noticed at the end of the car there was a variety of books, as well as games for any age). But most of all he enjoyed watching the scenery pass by. Before he knew it, there was another announcement that the evening meal would be served shortly. Wow, it seems like we just ate, Michael said to himself. Whoever organized this trip did not pull out any stops. The food was delicious, the car was luxurious, and the seats so soft; it’s something you would think would be fit for royalty.

           While everyone was eating, Michael took many glances out the window. He did not realize how different and beautiful the world was. Slowly, voices died down as the passengers settled in for the night. They were advised that they would be returning at about the same time they left.

           Being the light sleeper that he was, Michael awoke just as dawn was approaching. Looking out the window he was amazed at what he saw. He had to turn away and shake his head and rub his eyes.   He couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

           It was like another world. The clearness of the sky, the trees, so many kinds, and so full of life. And not just that, there was a kaleidoscope of flowers and colors.   There were some he knew, like roses, carnations, lilies, crocuses, so many. Some of the other passengers were also awakening and exclaiming at what they were seeing. A few did what Michael did; rubbed their eyes.

           A young boy shouted to his father, “Look, daddy, deer, and horses.” There are puppies and kittens playing together. Another passenger commented that he saw lions walking among the people. Another saw wolves playing among the sheep and goats. An older couple sat looking out the window with such a peaceful look. “What is this place,” Michael wondered aloud, as did several others. The sun was shining, and there was even a rainbow. It had not rained. The grass was such an emerald green that it just shone. Birds and butterflies were flying around.

            “Wow,” exclaims an older man, “this is what I had dreamed what heaven would look like. We must be in heaven.”  “No way, it can’t be,” observed a younger lady. “When did we die? We couldn’t have all died overnight, could we?”  The walkway was definitely made of gold, bordered with flowers of brilliant colors. Apart from the several shades of red; any color anyone can think of was present. The oranges, yellows, blues and purples glistened, as if it had just rained. “Well, how do you explain all this?” asked another passenger. All Michael can hear are oohs, aahs, wows, and did you see that? He was thinking if he ever wondered what heaven would look like, and if truth be told, it could look like this place.

           There was announcement stating that they would be arriving in about 15 minutes. As they got closer to their destination, they could see people wandering around. Kids were playing. All of them had such peaceful looks about them. “What is this place?” Michael asks himself. “Could it really be heaven? This is such a wonderful looking place.” The elderly couple was looking so happy. “Why?” wonders Michael. “I will wait until we disembark and find a conductor and ask him.” He was thinking to himself, when another announcement was made. 

           We wish to welcome everyone to heaven.

April 22, 2021 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.