Days for Drolls

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Winnie rolled open her construction paper, holding it down so it wouldn't roll back towards itself. Sheltered inside the paper were her jottings; written in cheap crayons and glitter. This was the third time she had opened up her plan, and the third time glitter would spew out. She read her project until she was satisfied with the wording. So again she read outloud:

"How I will catch a droll: 

First, I will pretend to be in deep distress. I will use my homework as a decoy.

Second, I will drink chocolate milk and pretend to go to sleep 

And finally I will catch it when I see it!"

Those who have no particular interests in faes or imps wouldn't have the slightest clue to what Winnie is talking about. Her writings might as well be hieroglyphics, but for those who know the mysterious ways of elfs and kobolds, know of the Drolls. Winnie had discovered them from her elementary teacher and her grandmother, and the stories only continued to peek her curiosity. She had to catch one. 

Drolls are tricksters, for everyone knew that much. As the myth goes, Drolls come out when they see a knavery motive. Once they hear a mischievous plan, the Drolls will climb onto the person and latch on. They then feed the person with the urge to do this elvish behavior, thus making thoughts into actions. 

And the only way to see a Droll is to drink chocolate milk beforehand. Well, that was only Winnie's hypothesis. For one poem in the story said, 

"Tickery-tokery the hour of mockery

For too much frolic leads to colic

To avoid this peril of robbery

Take thy tonic of sweet rollick"

 Winnie learned from her grandmother; that a tonic was a certain type of remedy that could make a person feel better. Winnie wasn't sick, but chocolate milk does improve her mood. She was sure chocolate milk would be the key to seeing the Drolls.

But, Winnie had no clue what a Droll could verily look like. All of the

illustrations of Drolls from storybooks were depicted differently. Winnie evidently knew that all Drolls are as small as faeries, but don't have wings. Equivalent to a brownie; one would say. 

Winnie was now ready. She began to rub her head until her hair stuck out in all locations, she made her desk look just as distressed as she was, and finally she poured chocolate milk into her water bottle. After a long stare at her water bottle, she taped a piece of ripped paper to the bottle and titled it, "water" for good measures. She took a sip of her sweet beverage before putting on a performance to attract any Droll. 

 "I hate school! My teacher makes me work work work!" Winnie began to stomp her foot as she said this, "I don't want to do homework anymore! Tomorrow I would like to get back at Mrs. Hilldrop by putting pins in her chair!” Winnie stomped away from her desk and flopped on the couch, groaning and kicking. 

Her mother was out shopping, but if she saw her daughter acting this way, she would already know she was acting. However, to a Droll, this was pure frustration. 

Winnie slowly began to stop, turning her body to face the living room. She closed her eyes ever so slightly; to peek at her surroundings. She stared with her eyelashes hung low, only seeing the world in filtered fuzziness, but she was sure she could see something move no matter how small. 

Time began to pass and Winnie was beginning to question her performance. She couldn't focus on what she did wrong because she was too busy focusing on staying awake. Laying for so long was difficult for her, for her couch was quite comfortable. Soon she drifted into a dream.

Winnie woke up, forgetting for a moment about the Droll plan. Once she sat up; the memory came back to her. She almost began to cry, when she heard a clutter in the kitchen. Then a pitter patter. Then a soft giggle.  Winnie quickly quieted herself. She slid off the couch and crawled slowly to the kitchen entrance. Where she saw three little Drolls, or at least she hoped so. She didn't want to capture brownies.

The Drolls were carrying a chocolate-chip cookie they had stolen from the cookie jar. Winnie couldn’t imagine how they managed to climb high up to the counters and cupboards. Especially in their baggy clothes. 

Winnie watched them put the cookie down on the counter and climb back to the cookie jar. They struggled desperately to put the led back in its place. Winnie took the opportunity to get a good look at them. All wore baggy tunics with hose breeches, and to top it all off they wore little cap 'n bells on their heads. The difference they had was their clothing color. One red. One white. One gold. If Winnie was going to catch one, it would have to be the golden one. 

Suddenly Winnie hatched a new plan. She was going to walk into the kitchen, but pretend she couldn't see them. She figured Drolls were used to not being seen. She would get a glass for water, expect the glass would be used to trap the Droll.

Winnie started to crawl away from the kitchen entrance and continued going further back, finally she got up and started to walk casually. 

The Drolls heard and felt Winnie's footsteps. They knew she was a child since her vibrations weren't as vast as adults, but they still decided to hide behind the cookie jar. They knew that even if one can't see them, it doesn’t mean one can't feel them, so they stayed clear of any path. 

Winnie walked into the kitchen and straight to the cupboards, reaching to get a cup. All while she was doing this she watched the Drolls from her far peripheral vision. Their little heads poked out from the side of the cookie jar. 

She walked towards the cookie jar, reaching for its lid. Winnie knew the Drolls would sneak away, so she waited until their backs' were turned. Winnie quickly spun around and trapped the red Droll. It wasn't the one she wanted, but the red one was the slowest out of the three. 

The red Droll began to bang on the glass with its small fists. Kicking and climbing all around the cup's interior. The other two Drolls began to make faces at Winnie, and went as far to throw cookie crumbs at her. 

"I'm sorry for capturing your friend! But it's the only way I can prove my class that you are real!" Winnie pleaded.

The two Drolls looked at each other then at the trapped one. They all smiled at each other. The golden one stood as close to Winnie as possible and said,

"Why quite the predicament I must say

But you shall rue this day 

Make a deal with me my dear 

Or you shall not be filled with cheer"

"What type of deal is this? I'm not doing anything bad! All I want to do is show you to my class, or at least my teacher…and my mom…and my dad…and my grandpa…and my grandma…and my-" Winnie was cut off.

"Only for your family and teacher

We shall appear

I do not wish you a preacher

Do I make myself clear?"

Winnie nodded. 

"Our agreement is this:

We shall appear for you

Only if we cause an amiss

Be glad we shalln't treat you a shrew"

Winnie needed no other words, they would appear for her! Then the small Droll held out its hand, Winnie used her pinky finger to shake for an agreement. She could not wait until her mother got home.

April 01, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.