0 comments

Adventure Fiction Romance

The Lilies Have Come

By Grace Christine Tofte

Naomi Landreth awoke as the sun's shy rays crept through her window curtains. Although the day had dawned bright, darkness loomed. Today, Naomi would move from the only place she had ever called home. Her father had served as the king’s gardener, and she had grown up on the vast countryside near the castle. However, after her father’s death, the king did not think that a young girl would be able to maintain it. He had decided to reclaim the land. The stage coach was set to arrive at the tenth hour to take her to the neighboring kingdom of Kilsbeth. Slipping out of bed, Naomi caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Her olive colored skin looked smooth, and her dark hair glimmered in the light drifting in through the window. Her big, beautiful, brown eyes, framed by her long eyelashes reflected her shy, but kind spirit. Self-consciously, Naomi fingered her long dark brown curls of hair. A small smile lifted the corners of her lips. Perhaps there was someone out there waiting for her, she thought hopefully, but that flicker of hope vanished as she realized that no one would be waiting for a gardener’s daughter. 

“Naomi Landreth!” The rough, harsh voice was accompanied by a pound on the door. Frightened, Naomi grabbed a cloak and slipped it over her nightgown. She opened the door to find the wealthy Lord Michael Reinhold sitting proudly upon his horse with his servant stationed beside him.  

“My people demand a Lady Reinhold, so I have decided to marry you.”

Naomi said firmly. “Thank you for your offer, but I shall not accept.” Michael turning his horse, scoffed, “The foolish ignore the wise, and reap their own harvest. A harvest of wilted wheat, not even fit for the lowest of the pigs.”

Naomi glared at Lord Michael, who rode off silently, his proud head held upright, and his gleaming sheath, which held his sword, bouncing as the horse galloped away. Glancing fondly upon her garden, with crocuses and Japanese trees, Naomi listened. She could hear the soft flapping of a butterfly's shimmery blue wings and the whisper of the wind snaking through the leaves of the trees. Vines climbed the wooden walls and blossomed into beautiful flowers with petals the color of pure snow and a splash of lavender. From afar, Naomi could see the garden seem to come alive in the warmth of the sun’s rays. Flowers seemed to grow and blossom before her very eyes. Butterflies rested contentedly on their choice of beautiful flowers. Lush green grass sprung up from the deep earth. Now she could hear the delighted chirps of the birds who took flight and the unintelligible chittering of the small animals who greeted their friends. Naomi bent and smelled her roses. A moment of grief swept over her as she realized that she wouldn’t be there to watch the lilies, her favorite flowers, blossom. Naomi sighed and stepped inside her cottage.  

“Naomi!” A small child with curly hair skipped up the garden path and hugged her aunt.  

“Mandie! What a pleasant surprise!” Naomi asked, sweeping her little niece up into her arms.  

The little girl, with rosy cheeks, giggled and said breathlessly, “Mama wishes you luck in your search for a husband.”  

Mandie swept a stray curl out of her face with her chubby hand. Her red dress with blue embroidery drew out the pale blue color of her eyes. Naomi laughed. Her sister, Becka, had always been a romantic.  

“I am searching for a new start and new surroundings. Tell my sister that I will miss her, and I will be leaving on the tenth hour stagecoach.” Naomi replied, grinning.

“I will!” replied Mandie. “Mama is not feeling well and cannot make the departure of the coach. She sent me to with you well and to kiss you for her.”

Naomi stooped, and Mandie kissed her cheek.  

“May I help you pack?” the six-year-old asked, her cheeks reddening in the faint wind. Nodding, Naomi led the child into the cottage. At the strike of the hour, carried her bags to end of the dusty path.  

Then gazing into her niece’s blue eyes, Naomi said softly, “When I arrive, I will write to you. Please, write me often, my love. ”

Maddie’s little face wrinkled in the breeze, and a tear rolled down her cheek. “Why can’t you stay? What about the lilies? You won’t be here when they come! Who will help me with the garden?”

Naomi hugged the little girl, and whispered into her ear, “God will help you, and when the lilies come, love them and water them.” She paused and then whispered, “My love, my little Mandie.”  

The stagecoach pulled up with a spray of dust. Naomi straightened and gave her bags to the stage master, who placed them securely on top of the stagecoach. 

“Farewell, Mandie!” Naomi said, as she climbed into the coach. The master whipped the horses who lumbered forward.  And as she prayed, the countryside sped by.

* * *

Naomi stepped out of the coach cautiously. People hurried about, as if on an invisible schedule. Nervously, she cleared her throat. Her body felt weary from her long journey, and she stopped to rest on a wooden bench in the center of town. Naomi greeted a young woman walking by and asked, “Excuse me, miss. Could you direct me to a place where I might stay in exchange for work?”  

The young woman glanced up. “The castle, perhaps. They often have positions available,” she suggested pointing toward a castle.  Many people watched her closely, as she knocked on the tall doors with intricate figures carved on the front. The door swung open, revealing a room full of artifacts and portraits, like that of a museum, elegant maroon carpet, and a stern man in a suit, with a pair of spectacles perched upon his nose, resembling the appearance of a bird.

“Um, my name is Naomi Landreth.” She curtseyed clumsily, as the man bowed stiffly. “I am searching for a place of work.”

“Ah, yes. We house many homeless souls here and work them to pay off their debt,” the man stated, glancing at Naomi’s dusty traveling clothes with disgust, as if she might ruin the fine carpet by standing on it.

“Henrik! Who are you terrorizing now?” A friendly voice carried above Naomi’s head. Naomi watched as a refined young man, who appeared to be slightly older than her, descended the stately stairs.

“Sir, you needn’t trouble yourself about this girl. We will put her to work in the kitchen.”

Turning to Naomi, the man gently asked, “Is that what you wish to do?” Up close, Naomi recognized Prince William and her heart pounded so loud she feared he could hear it. “Miss...”

“Naomi. Naomi Landreth, sir.” Naomi curtseyed and Prince William bowed.  

With a twinkle in his eye, he asked, “So, Miss Naomi, have you any talents?”

“Talents?” she asked, confused.

“Yes. Can you sing, play instruments, bake, or paint?”

“I can teach.” She responded readily.

“Teach!” Prince William’s eyes lit up, and he smiled, dimples forming at the corners of his cheeks. “I have been looking for a tutor for my younger sister, Elizabeth, for a while now. Would you be interested in tutoring her?”

“Of course, sir.” Naomi agreed instantly.

Prince William paused, “There is something you must know. She suffered a serious fall from a horse and has been paralyzed since. Though her body is weak, may I say, that her spirit is quite lively.”

Rose smiled. “Her physical condition is of no concern to me. It would be my privilege to teach your sister.”

“Henrik, I shall lead Miss Naomi to her room.” Naomi felt at ease with William and answered his questions truthfully. He was the sort of person that seemed like an old friend, a kind one at that, and Naomi felt the ability to trust him. Finally, William stopped in front of a handsomely carved door. “This shall be your room. Supper is at the twelfth hour sharp, and timeliness is quite important to Mother.”

“I’m afraid I am directionally challenged.” Naomi said quietly, with a small laugh. William opened the door and smiled.  

“I will come to get you when it is time. I would like to introduce you to my sister after supper, so you two can get acquainted before the lessons begin.” William stepped back, and looked at her intently, startling Naomi. “That is if you are still considering the position.”

“I have already accepted, your highness.”

He stepped quietly away, as she gently shut the door. As she glanced around the room, Naomi gasped. Never in her life had she seen such pleasantries! A huge four-postered bed sat on one side of the spacious room. A beautiful mirror adorned with glittering jewels hung on the wall, and a large wardrobe constructed from from mahogany wood stood in the corner. As she promised, Naomi sat down at the desk and wrote a short note to Mandie. When she heard a knock, Naomi opened it cautiously and then stepped out when she saw William’s face. The two made their way to the dining room and sat in opposite chairs. A young girl, of about ten and two years, sat next to Naomi, sitting in a peculiar chair with her legs outstretched and covered with an elaborately stitched blanket.  

As they talked, Naomi realized that many similarities were shared between them and they bonded quickly. Happiness flooded Naomi's heart, and she felt as light as a delicate feather, swaying in the gentle breeze.    

* * *

Weeks slowly turned into months, and Naomi adored young Elizabeth, but perhaps even more prominent, was her growing fondness for William. On a warm night, Naomi held her breath as William led her into Kilsbeth’s royal gardens. Through the trees, a shimmery beam of moonlight illuminated the garden. Peonies and water lilies floated in a tiny pond. Roses climbed a high structure, leaves intertwining the wooden notches. Camellia’s formed a path along the stone garden walk. Four plum blossom trees dotted the garden with beautiful petals. Naomi sniffed, a sweet smell of floral fragrances filling her nose. A small shiver radiated throughout her entire body, but Naomi guessed that it was not the slight wind that made her feel so.    

Prince William took her hands. “Naomi, you are a remarkable young lady. You teach Elizabeth with the utmost respect and love, despite her disabilities. I greatly admire your fortitude and kindness towards my dear sis– ” 

Just then, the butler hurried into the garden and stopped suddenly when he saw them with their hands clasped tightly.

“Miss Landreth.” Henrik interrupted curtly. 

“What is the meaning of this interruption, Henrik?” William frowned.

Henrik hesitated before revealing his missive. “Lord Michael Reinhold is requesting an audience. He claims that Miss Landreth’s mother betrothed her to become his wife, and she has not honored her vows. Now he has come to claim his bride. William, I have seen the documents which her mother signed.” Henrik fidgeted with his starched gloves, anger welling up in his loyal heart.

“Please, William,” Naomi pleaded. “You musn’t believe him.” But William’s face only grew darker, his dark eyebrows knit together in an angry expression.  

“You must go.” William said to Naomi, his heart heavy, yet hardened at the truth that she could never be his.

“Wait! William –”

“You knew you were betrothed, and yet you said nothing? You have put me in a very difficult position. Please leave. Pack your bags at once.” William straightened and couldn't meet her eye. Devastated by his unwillingness to believe the truth, Naomi returned to her room, packed her bags, and hastened out of the castle.

“Naomi! How good to see you again!” Lord Michael jeered as he approached her. “There is nothing you can do, Naomi! The documents have been signed, and we shall be married in two weeks time.”

“Signed?! My mother is dead and she could not have signed documents from the grave, you lying snake! I would rather die than marry you.” 

She resisted, but quickly realized that she could not overcome his strength, and if William would not believe her, then nothing was left for her in Kilsbeth. Resigned that all odds had turned against her, she allowed Lord Michael to lift her onto his horse.  

“I am glad you have finally accepted my offer.” Lord Michael said triumphantly.

“I have not accepted your offer. I have merely accepted my fate.” 

* * * 

William seemed to be the center of attention in the castle, but this attention did not please him in the least. His thoughts whirled and swirled in his mind, making him quite unstable. An uneasy feeling troubled him, and he hurried to Elizabeth’s bedroom to escape the stares and knowing glances of the household.

“Will, what is all the commotion about?” Elizabeth drew the elegant bed covers over her limp legs, and reached for a handkerchief that she was stitching.  

“Naomi has returned to Raleigh...with her husband.” William sighed, closing the door behind him.

“Her husband, I do not understand, William."

“Lord Michael presented documents that clearly show that Naomi was his betrothed. Her mother signed them.”

“Impossible, Will! Naomi told me that her mother died many years ago.” Elizabeth stated matter-of-factly, and yet her voice was barely above a whisper.

“Do you truly believe so?”

“Aye! If you are such a fool to believe that Naomi even slightly cares for Michael, you do not deserve her!” Elizabeth cried, exasperated. William straightened at his sister’s outburst and stood quickly. Elizabeth whispered, “I know that you love her. Don’t let your pride keep you from doing what you know you must.”

William ordered his horse brought to him and mounted his horse, a strong; spirited steed and his eyes matched those of his fierce stallion’s. 

* * * 

Before Naomi knew what was happening, a rider raced up, startling Lord Michael’s horse. The horse reared back, throwing them both to the ground. Momentarily dazed, Naomi felt a piercing pain in her ankle which sent sparks shooting up her leg. She heard a great struggle ensue as Lord Michael leaped to his feet to admonish the rider.  

But the rider spoke sternly, “Lord Michael of Raleigh, you have lied to the crown Prince of Kilsbeth. You will release the maiden at once or you will rot in prison.” 

As Lord Michael realized the identity of the rider, he dropped to his knees before the crown Prince of Kilsbeth, the son of the Royal King, the ruler of Kilsbeth and the Western Isles, his royal highness, Prince William.  

Naomi’s shallow breaths came in short gasps of gratitude. William had come back for her. 

* * * 

 Much happened in the weeks and months to come, and soon, their wedding day arrived. In those days, marriage was often used to strengthen alliances. But theirs was not a marriage of duty, it was a marriage of love. 

Naomi glanced around the huge church, her beautiful brown eyes wide with wonder. White silk trailed around each pew. A vine-covered arbor stood high above the groom and the bride. And by request of the princess bride, lilies adorned the chapel. Still the elegant chapel paled in comparison to the radiant bride. Her gown was made of the finest silk, with a pale peach bodice and a long elegant skirt embroidered with lilies. Her wavy, long brown curls were pulled back by a diamond crown. Prince William stood with his beautiful bride, holding her hands delicately in his own as the priest blessed their union.

Naomi turned as a little girl pulled at the long skirt of her wedding gown. Mandie’s eyes sparkled in the noon sunshine, and she hugged her aunt.  

“You are married like Mama! But you are married to a prince!”

Naomi grinned. “Your Mama’s knight in shining armor came sooner than mine, and God blessed us both with true love.”  

“Auntie, will you and your prince come to visit us, soon?” Mandie begged as she looked up with hopeful eyes.

Naomi turned to her new husband, who answered for them both. “It would be our pleasure.”

* * * 

A few months later, Prince William and Princess Naomi traveled back to Raleigh, fulfilling Mandie’s wish. Mandie could barely contain her excitement.  

“Auntie, I have a surprise for you! Come with me.” She led them out across the country side and toward the cottage and the garden where Naomi had spent her childhood.

“It’s ours, Auntie,” Mandie exclaimed. Naomi searched Mandie’s eyes, her heart fluttering at the thought of her precious garden and a sudden rush of emotion overwhelming her. 

“Mama knew how much the garden meant to you, so Father convinced the King to let us continue caring for it. I have been here every day, doing exactly what you taught me.”

Naomi was speechless. The sight of all she had left behind caused an aching in her heart, but with a single glance at the handsome prince who was on his knees, learning to weed, she also realized how much she had gained. Naomi laughed, a bright and merry sound, as she drew her long skirt up to her knees, and bent beside, sinking her fingers into the soft, damp earth.

“Are you happy, dearest?” William asked.

“Aye. I have missed this place, and leaving my home was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. But only in leaving this life behind could I embrace a new life with you. I suppose that is why I love lilies. Although they mark the end of one season, they usher in a new one, filled with new and precious blossoms.” 

“Oh!” Mandie’s eyes sparkled as she stood up and ran across the garden path. Naomi and William hurried over to where the child pointed, a look of pure joy upon her face. The couple knelt beside her, and there, a single white bud had unfolded, dropping the petals of its past and opening to the promise of the future.

“The lilies!” Naomi gasped in delight as she gazed at her favorite flower. “The lilies have come!” 

The End    

October 30, 2020 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.