40 comments

Drama Fantasy Sad

“I can’t sleep,” I whisper.


I am seven, standing at the foot of my parent's bed. My father is snoring, and the rain is pounding steadily onto concrete. I imagine the worms coming up for a swim somewhere in the grass.


“I can’t sleep,” I say again, but I only hear the bed squeaking as my mother shifts to her other side. I can’t tell her I’m scared. I can’t tell her my brothers shoved me in the linen closet when we were playing hide-and-seek and left me there. It’s dark in my parent’s room, and I know it’s silly, but I am frozen, too scared to get any closer. I feel for her feet through the covers and find her big toe.


“Mom,” I plea. “Wake up.”


I am outside the room now, looking in. Sunshine passes through the blinds, bending horizontal shadows across the floor and bed. My mother is Irish dancing in her closest mirror, smiling to herself and giggling as her feet move like fluttering canaries across the carpet. I watch her like I’m watching a secret being born, one eye’s vision obscured by the doorframe, the other peaking in like a spy. There is no music, but my mother tilts her head side to side, fast and rhythmic. It makes me laugh to see her as giddy as a child. She catches sight of me in the mirror and stops dancing. Her eyebrows furrow, her eyes narrow, and she marches towards me, screaming, “You’re not supposed to be here!” She slams the door, taking the sunshine with her.


I am older, a teenager now, and my nose is touching the door. Behind me, I hear crying coming from down the hall. When I turn towards it, I see a light at the end of it. Whose house is this? I wonder, following the hallway’s path, because it is my mother’s sobs I hear. At the end of the tunnel, there is a red, floral-patterned couch, and my mother is steamrolled flat across it. In the corner, there is a fireplace made of brick, covered in framed photographs from my childhood, but I don’t recognize the room. I didn’t grow up here.


“I can’t sleep, Mom, you’re being too loud,” I say, turning my head back to the couch, but she is not there. She is stepping out of the kitchen on the other side of the room, stumbling and limping, clutching a cane between steps. One of her hips is jutting out to one side, and she is wrinkled, fragile, and frail. When did she become like this?


“Mom!” I run to catch her before she falls, but when I get there, she is already on the floor. She is a child, a small girl, pulling her bloody knee into her chest.


I pull her petite body into my arms and rock her. “Mom, it’s OK, I’m sorry. You can be loud. I didn’t mean it.”


The little girl who is my mother stops crying and smiles up at me. “Carry me,” she says in her childish voice.


I nod, and as I stand to lift her up into my arms, she grows bigger and bigger. My arms try to spread wider and wider, but they feel like they are expanding past their limits. I can hear them snapping.


“Mom, wait! Stop!” I cry, but it is interrupted by a loud crunch.


I only know there is blood because my hands are wet with crimson. When I look down, there are bodiless antlers pierced through my ribcage, and my mother, she is standing in front of me, watching me smear the blood around my chest. I am trying to patch myself up, but there is a strong wind whistling through my wounds. When I glance at my mother for guidance, I see her lips are moving as if she is speaking, but there is no sound leaving them.


“Poor thing,” I say, and then I stand and press my thumb into the bridge of her nose between her eyes. Gunk gushes from her eyelids, and she snickers like it tickles. “That’s better,” I smile. She smiles back before skipping around me and down the hall where the sunlight no longer reaches.


When I try to follow her, I find myself sitting across from my mother at the dinner table. She burps and then swipes a cloth napkin across her thin-lined lips before leaping from her seat. I watch as she skips around the room, yelling, “Look, honey, I’m flying!” And then she does. She flies in circles around the room, and I watch her tornado dislodge every fixture on the wall. Glass shatters all around as our frozen memories disperse across the floor. I dip my green beans into the mashed potatoes, wishing she didn’t forget the gravy.


As the sky turns red, the locusts come. They find their way through small cracks in the walls, vents in the floors, and keyholes in the doors, and soon they are swirling all around us, devouring our still-warm food. They come quick and leave even quicker. In a flash, mother and I are face-to-face again, both of our plates now full of squirming white maggots. My mother stabs a fork into one, and as she slides them into her mouth, she looks right at me: “Try them. They’re delicious,” she hums.


I open my mouth to scream at her, to tell her not to eat those nasty things, but the words are a silent string being pulled from my throat. I can feel them scraping up my esophagus, letter by letter, and I watch as my lost words turn into pearls, twisting and curling around my mother’s wrist. She laughs as she stares at the forming bracelets. “They’re real, you know?”


I squeeze my hands around my neck, and the sound of forced air from my lungs takes us back to my mother’s bedroom. The rain is punishing the windows for keeping it outside, but my mother ignores its banter as she folds the knitted blanket I made for her. "You don't need this. October is always so warm," she says.


When she places it on the bed, she pats the top of it, and I notice the brown spots on her hand. She’s no longer young; she’s no longer dancing or flying. She doesn’t have horns anymore either, just wrinkled skin and a weakened smile.


“Next time, you teach me,” she says.


I stand at the foot of my mother’s bed. It’s empty, and I’m a grown woman now, but I crawl up it anyway. I curl up right in the middle, sliding my feet into the sheets, imagining my mother on one side, my snoring father on the other.


“I can’t sleep,” I say to no one.


And then I hear the rain tell me, “You already are.”

November 15, 2023 04:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Tom Skye
09:58 Nov 15, 2023

Wow, AnneMarie this was a little different. Nice twist on the prompt making it all dreamy. The concept definitely gave you a chance to exercise your poetry chops :) Plenty of imagery and a lot that is open to interpretation, so I will give it another read before the end of the week. The work explored the relationship to a parent, and how that unfolds over a lifetime. In this case, the relationship with the mother was complicated. The father features less, but his snoring is very symbolic of sleep, so his presence is important It seems fr...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:35 Nov 15, 2023

Whew, this is an incredibly insightful analysis and I am so so so grateful for it, Tom. Thank you! You caught me - this was directly from a poem I wrote a year ago when I was dealing with my mother's diagnosis. So the death, the complicated relationship, and reflection of all its phases - you hit the nail right on the head. Reading your comment was almost like hearing from a psychoanalytical therapist. Should I venmo you? 😂 I wanted to do something different. I've been experimenting a lot in that way ... I see writers doing incredible thi...

Reply

Tom Skye
17:56 Nov 15, 2023

Ah, I'm sorry you have been through all of that. It's good that you can find some closure in your art :) I find the poetry to prose shift quite interesting. Like where does one end and the other begin?

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:45 Nov 15, 2023

Art is the only way to deal with anything in my opinion. :) I took a workshop and we talked about the line between poetry and prose. The best way I've ever heard it distinguished is like this: Prose is like talking, and poetry is like singing. Some of us are great at both, and some of us prefer one over the other. As a singer myself, I find a lot of truth in it. Thanks again, Tom.

Reply

Tom Skye
20:54 Nov 15, 2023

Ah cool. Then from now on, when reading Beowolf's thoughts, I will hear them in the voice of a virtuoso soprano blasting out an aria :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emily Manion
14:12 Nov 26, 2023

What? I'm a bit confused. Was the girl dreaming?

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:36 Nov 26, 2023

That was the idea. Thanks for reading, Emily :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:44 Nov 26, 2023

The way I interpreted this is a series of images or memories running through the daughter’s head in the form of a dream. A piercing sadness at the changes life has brought to her once vibrant mother, as expressed in the Irish dancing. Some regret and a sense of being alone because no matter how much we love and care for our mothers, they have to go through some things alone. A sense of separation here that the girl longs to be close to her mother, but there’s a barrier. There’s almost nothing harder than seeing the once lovely woman tha...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:33 Nov 26, 2023

Hello Helen and thank you for such a beautiful analysis of this piece. This was originally a poem so you are spot on about poetry running through it. It worked best as a dream in prose form, so you got that, too. You seemed to really understand the depth of this - how roles between mother and daughter switch when old ages arises, and that barrier between the two is complicating things. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Reply

Helen A Smith
21:46 Nov 26, 2023

I did a story from a poem, but in the end I never sent it in. I then realised it had the makings of a novel which I haven’t got time to write 😂

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:56 Nov 26, 2023

Keep it in your back pocket! You'll write it one day!

Reply

Helen A Smith
22:01 Nov 26, 2023

I hope so. I am putting the finishing touches to a novel about ancient Egypt.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:02 Nov 26, 2023

Helen!!! That's AMAZING! you'll have to let us all know when it's purchasable!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
19:03 Nov 23, 2023

Sounds like person speaking in tongues. A little confused. But I think there something to learn from that confusion.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:48 Nov 24, 2023

I think some dreams do feel like you're speaking in tongues! Thanks for reading, Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
18:31 Nov 25, 2023

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David McCahan
19:36 Nov 22, 2023

This is a brilliant description of a dream, the normal blending with the imagined and mundane becoming terrifying. The scream being stuck in her throat. That's a regular event in my nightmares. Horrible. Just a well-written story!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:06 Nov 23, 2023

Thanks for reading, David! And yes, the loss of voice is a powerful, nightmarish, and recurring image. I'm sure us writers and creators experience it more than others.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
23:03 Nov 21, 2023

Very different approach AnneMarie- loved it! The path through life, moments of ages, and how it all circles back… wonderfully written. This reminded me of “100 Years” by Five for Fighting. Have you heard it?

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:47 Nov 25, 2023

Thanks Nina! I really had fun writing this one .. I haven't heard 100 Years but I will search for it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
09:11 Nov 20, 2023

Sorry to hear so much of this comes from your real traumas but you turned it into art and the truth of it shows through. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hazel Ide
01:20 Nov 19, 2023

The imagery and recollection were beautiful. I liked how I was taken through the story, like I was whisked into a new scene. It felt physical. Interesting choices and really well done.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:02 Nov 19, 2023

Thanks for reading, Hazel! I wanted to capture the strange physical feeling of being in a dream, and not being sure what's real and what's not. I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carolyn McBride
14:14 Nov 18, 2023

This is a really interesting piece. Dementia, aging, fear, death...all of these I'm either journeying through with my parents, or staring down, like your tunnel. Because of this, I found your piece a little uncomfortable, like too-tight shoes, but the best literary works should be like that, I think. I really resonated with this one, and liked it a lot. Thank you for sharing it.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:51 Nov 18, 2023

Thanks for reading Carolyn! This was certainly an unusual piece. I like your image of the the too-tight shoes. I think because it is so abstract that it has the power to touch us in our most tender spots. I appreciate your thoughts and time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:35 Nov 18, 2023

Ooooh clever story. Vivid descriptions that made me feel so uncomfortable. Some great phrases - so imaginative. Great story.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:00 Nov 18, 2023

Thanks for reading, Stevie! So many people have used this word "uncomfortable". It is so interesting to me to see how readers perceived this. Thanks for being one of them and for sharing your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:36 Nov 18, 2023

Somehow the nonlinear aspect of the story brings more clarity to the daughter's goal of being heard, and seen , but Mother is unable to. Space and time limit the meanings of stories sometimes, thanks for reminding me!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:23 Nov 18, 2023

What a profound take away, Marty! I agree. Being seen and heard (or not) was an intentional message here. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:42 Nov 16, 2023

The writing is lovely and deeply uncomfortable, where we focus on regrets and disappointments both at a young age and at an old one. This clearly focuses on the child-mother relationship, throughout what appears to be the mother's life, and I believe, right into dementia. At least, that's what the mother being a little girl again tells me, and the confusion of the later scenes. The core of the story, to me then, is about communication. More specifically, it's all the things that went unsaid, and no longer can be said. From the very first s...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:14 Nov 17, 2023

Anyone who attempts to interpret this is incredible in my opinion. I know it's confusing, but dreams usually are 🙃 You've picked up on a lot of what I think is going on here, but I think one of the main key points you touched on is the communication, or lack thereof. There's silences, strange reactions, and confusing dialogue scattered all throughout. It all indicates misaligned communication and misunderstandings. Dementia, maybe. It hadn't occured to me when I was writing it but that doesn't mean it's not there. I think I was trying to...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
17:09 Nov 15, 2023

AnneMarie. Where to dive in. Is it a dream, is it a nightmare, is it a dream again? I think sometimes things happen and they don't seem real for awhile. Then they do seem real. And then they don't again. And then they do. Our mind dances as we try to comprehend our reality. This feels like that. A dance between what was and what is as our protagonist sifts through her relationship with her mother. A very beautiful piece. The poet in me very much appreciated the imagery all throughout. Things like "I watch her like I’m watching a secret bei...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:19 Nov 16, 2023

Danie, your comment is beautiful, deep, and spot on. "Always stepping through the memories trying to define it and grasp it and hold it like sand. But there's too much to hold it all." "A child, who is a young women, who is a mother, who is a fragile elderly thing. We all hold so much inside of us." Both are incredibly potent observations and analyses. They hit home in a way that I only could feel without articulating. I'm so grateful you've shared them here. There is no wrong interpretation, fellow poet. We bring ourselves to every p...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:00 Nov 15, 2023

Awesome, AnneMarie. As is Tom's analysis.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:04 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks, Mary! And I agree. Really thinking he should get paid for that one...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hammy S
14:29 Mar 30, 2024

This was extremely well written, and it took me on a journey. I’m thoroughly confused, I’m just not smart enough to understand I suppose. So, I understand that she was already asleep, but the entire time was she seven and dreaming? Anyway, LOVED this it was amazing! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aubrielle Smith
18:39 Feb 21, 2024

This was a wonderful story. Great job! You are such a talented writer!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jo Stoll
16:47 Jan 29, 2024

This is deep . I feel like this shows the struggles of the world and of people , and loss is prominent, and love, and growing up. Very interesting format! I would never had thought of an entire story written in that way. Amazing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.