Written in the stars.

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

15 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction

They are around us , they look at us from above, they see us and they want to help.



When you look up you see the past , you see beyond , you see the stars and you see ...

...


Written in the stars are our answer and our past, written right in front of us are what we can remember. That was what Maddie always use to tell us when we were little or so we remember. We are only ants in a working environment to help the people, to help the highest of the high. 


We dress accordingly to the law we don’t know why we listen to the law of the high, but we do since we can remember anyway. There are no such thing as a precise job for someone everyone does anything when needed. We work to live and we live to achieve, but what we want to achieve has already been forgotten in the stars.


Some of us are special and others not. The special ones like Marty and Cally were once my sister and brother, but since I’m not special I have been assigned to a new family. Our families are assigned to us and their children to them. Those that descend from the highest high has carers to take care of them, once a child is born from a high which doesn’t have any unique skills that child is seen as an outcast and a betrayal to all.


That is who I am.


Maddie has always assured me that I am not nothing and that someday all will be clearly, that day has not yet come. Maddie is my carer, or must I say was my carer till today. My family had deemed me a betrayal to them and has sent for the elderly to collect their mistake and dispose of it.


Maddie of course couldn’t do anything, but saw it fit to risk her job to take me in as her child and to raise me as her own.


Maddie are in some sorts like a superhero to me, although there are many with special talents and special skills on our planet Maddie is my superhero for rescuing me and deeming me as a child for her.

Days past and months past by quicker than the wind can blow up the dust on the pavement. We don’t know our purpose and yet we work like ants.


Maddie has become more and more distant with me and I wonder if it is because she too sees me now as a betrayal. She is constantly out of the house and I never see her as much as in the morning 2 hours.


I wonder why some has unique skills and others not and why I were cursed with no unique skills at all. I can’t fly or even flex like Marty and Cally, but yet it feels as though my brain is a whirlwind that spills with information it feel as though I am the only one seeing the highest of the high pretending to care.


Our food supply has run short and our dam’s water is almost up yet the farm was full of crops and the water kind to us as well only a few days ago. It all seems so peculiar that one day there is and the next day there isn’t.


I was sitting on the couch drinking my morning prescribed dose of what the government gives us when suddenly there's a bang upstairs and next moment men with guns comes into the house. I was so scared and everything happened so fast that I didn’t even register that I picked up the one guy with my mind and threw him across the table. He was aiming at me so I guess that is a defence mechanism. The next moment I was yanked out of the house and into the back of a van.


Everything happened so fast that I started to hyperventilate. Maddie now sitting across from me handed me a small like tube and instructed me to inhale it, suddenly I blacked out.


....


I awoke with a start, hearing only people chant around me.


“We stand for the people those that has been forced to believe what the high feed them, we stand against Sister Anne for she has told us that the government is lying to us. We stand for her, because tonight she will return out past memories to us by crossing the boundary that separates us from the rest of the world, we stand for freedom of our minds.”


I look up only to see them addressing Maddie as Sister Anne then suddenly Maddie does the unexpected and lifts me up in front of the crowd with her mind.


“Look everyone this is my son, my son that has been stolen from me and assigned to someone else, my son that has been deemed a betrayal, but yet he is our answer, his brain is stronger than mine. It can unlock our memories, with some practise of course, but first I need to cross the boundary with his and bring him back.”


Son? Everything is too much for me and I pass out again.


Our answers are written in the stars, yet my name is one of the names of the stars, so that means I am the key?


Does that make me a hero too, just like Maddie is a hero for me? Or is that a little too far-fetched? Is Maddie , I mean Sister Anne my birthmother all are very confusing, but I know I have a purpose now I may be a betrayal , but only to the high. I am the people’s salvation, I am their superhero.


My name is …. Antares.. Just as I say my real name a flash of reddish light flows out of the palms of my hand, everyone looks in awe for they know their saviour is here to return their memories and free them.

Antares is my name. I am the brightest star in the night sky I will save my people! 

June 29, 2020 17:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Neomi Shah
12:59 Jun 30, 2020

A beautiful story! Although I may suggest you to re-read it once as there are some grammatical and spelling errors.

Reply

Anja Z
15:08 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jen Park
15:07 Jul 11, 2020

This looks rather like a preface of a story. But I like that it didn't ended up in a complete resolution! Perhaps the ending is 'written in the stars! '

Reply

Anja Z
15:51 Jul 11, 2020

Thank you for your comment yes the ending is

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ola Hotchpotch
11:09 Jul 01, 2020

Read it till end. I am daughter of the Lord of truth and I found your story interesting.

Reply

Anja Z
13:33 Jul 01, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
21:10 Jun 30, 2020

Entertaining read. Love the directions writers are taking on the subject matter, and this is just another wonderful path taken with a splash of imagination. Well done!

Reply

Anja Z
21:37 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Daniel
20:51 Jun 30, 2020

Fantastic

Reply

Show 0 replies
Khizra Aslam
06:40 Jun 30, 2020

Very well written .... 😍❤

Reply

Anja Z
08:28 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
17:44 Jun 29, 2020

Beautiful!

Reply

Anja Z
17:55 Jun 29, 2020

Will do so asap ,, thank you so much :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
01:56 Jul 22, 2020

Loved the smooth narration and very much liked the story.

Reply

Anja Z
06:21 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.