46 comments

Romance Contemporary Fiction

Alyce's Restaurant


High Plains Drifter drifted through the high plains looking for a comfortable corner. The zipper zipped beside him on the left. The fog line to his right. The easy double nickles he was maintaining was lulling him to the point of shutter trouble. His hours were nearly expired. It was time to back it down and pull off ramp. According to his Qualcom a small place should be within five miles. It would have to do even if he wasn't familiar with it. Next place would be too far and run him out of hours.

Rules, rules. Every which way you turned these days there were more rules. Was a time when he first started out he was in charge of how long he could go and choose his favorite hide-outs. But now...Blasted DOT or somebody always breathing down your neck. Electronic logs told no lies. Not like the old days when you could run two sets. Not even any chatter on the CB to check out if this place was safe.

Easing up on the hammer then down shifting the long-haul trucker wearily, warily pulled his big rig into the truck stop. But before calling it a night in his sleeper berth he was ready for a scrub, some grub and maybe even a rub. Oh, who is he kidding. Those places don't exist anymore. He'd spent a long eleven hours grinding the gears, dodging the four wheelers and beating the bears in the bushes. But the payload would be worth it.

He debated whether to fill up tonight or wait until early morning when the lines may be shorter. The small shabby lot looked pretty full-up. Maybe there wouldn't be any spaces left after the fellows in front of the pumps now settled in. Besides, if he couldn't find a spot on the edges he would have to squeeze between the company drivers. With the cost of go-go juice skyrocketing as it has been thanks to the genius in the White House, no doubt, the danger of someone ciphering off a full tank was highly probable. Hard to predict in a place like this. He wasn't comfortable by the looks of it. Not by a long shot. He sighed heavily resigned to have to live with the facts.

It would mean a slower start in the morning but luckily he was somewhat ahead of schedule so could afford the delay. Wasn't like anyone was waiting breathlessly for his return safely home. That berth was his home. Which reminded him he had better take out the trash. Liked to keep the place meticulously clean. This stop didn't look like it would house a laundry and there was obviously no truck wash to shine up the Bulldog.

He didn't see any no parking signs so he pulled along side the curb away from the other semis and shut it down. It was a warm February so he saw no reason to keep the motor running. He would stay warm enough under the blankets. He gathered up the trash, his duffle with his toiletries and change of clothes, locked up and climbed down with a grunt. Those steps somehow keep getting wider apart.

As he was stretching his legs out an obvious newbie driver walked past and remarked, ”Good looking rig, Good Buddy!”

Good Buddy? Is that one of those terms that mean something totally different than it used to mean? Is he making a proposition? How do I let him know I don't play those games? Punch his lights out?

“Well, thank you, I take a lot of pride in what I drive.” he said instead but not wanting to have to give the guided tour.

“Sure can tell. I hope to own something like that some day. She's a beaut.” The young man continued on his way.

Someone else caught his eye on his walk toward the entrance. Maybe actually something else. It was the tightest little behind he had the pleasure of watching in a long time. Two perfect handfuls bumping back and forth in denim rhythm. She turned towards him as she climbed up to a passenger door on a Kenworth and toyed with a ribbon looped loosely around the side mirror. The front top half was as pleasing as the bottom rear view. Under her open jacket he could see golden globes straining across and spilling above a knit scooped neck tee. If only that scooped a little lower I could scope all of her assets.

She caught him admiring the scenery and gave a come hither smile as she slipped the ribbon off the mirror and slid inside the door. He almost came hither but before the light winked out he realized the guy in the driver's seat was in the driver's seat already making his move toward his prize as she wiggled out of the jacket.

Now he'd come across some lot lizards in his day but they were a rare breed as of late and none of them ever looked like the one he thought he saw. Maybe she was a mirage. Maybe it was wishful thinking because he really missed the days when he could count on a full body rub as part of his truck driving therapy. Maybe he wished he still had a wife waiting for him at home. Maybe it had been too #$*?-ing long!

After making an adjustment in his boxers he continued on toward the sign that said 'Alyce's Restaurant', the only entrance he could find. At the counter he put his name on the list to be called when a shower became available. The wait would be at least an hour so he found an empty table in the restaurant area and started examining the menu.

“How do you like your coffee, Drifter?”

He slowly raised his eyes and was greeted by a matching pair of welcoming bosoms nearly busting out of the tight scooped neck tee. He needed to look no higher.

“Like I like my women. Full bodied with extra cream. And how did you know my handle?”

“You are all drifters coming in here. And for your information my eyes are up here. You're a driver so I know you're not blind.”

“Being blinded by those headlights, though! I'm eyeballing what you want me to see. Good for extra green stamps. The one with the heart on it is named 'Cassie'. What's the other one's name? Since they are obviously twins think I'll call her 'Sassie'.”

“Truth be known there are slight differences but not many get to find that out. So what will you have that is on the menu since they are not.”

“Well, now, what is the specialty of Alyce's Restaurant. Has a familiar ring to it.”

“You can have any thing you want at Alyce's Restaurant, except Alyce.”

“Does Alyce resemble Cassie or Sassie?” With great effort he tore his eyes away from the girls fighting for position within the knit fabric and raised them up to look at her smiling eyes framed by silvery hair mimicking his own. It caused one of his rare smiles to brighten the demeanor of both of them.

“That's Alyce.” She points to a bald guy with a pot belly and sagging tits in a grimy apron behind a counter.

“No. Not interested in that. Not sure I could stomach anything he serves up either. Any other eating establishments within walking distance?”

“Would you care for two eggs sunny side up with a warm buttered bun and long strips of bacon on the side plus coffee the way you like it?”

“Sounds about perfect.”

“Remember this in fours. A quarter mile down the frontage road, fourth street on the right, fourth house on the left. Got it? Sunrise.”

When he arrived she answered the door wearing a pink bathrobe. He kicked the door shut behind him as she dropped the robe. She spoke the truth. Cassie and Sassie were not exactly twins after all.










February 16, 2024 07:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Calvin Kirby
18:28 Feb 29, 2024

Mary, after just briefly getting acquainted, I was surprised at the imagery and raunchy language you used. If didn't know you had written this piece, I would have sworn a man wrote it. Good job capturing the life of a trucker, I think.😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:34 Feb 29, 2024

I know this one and the next one 'Hammer Down' are out of character for me. Just trying out new writing muscles. Some of mine are funny but a lot of them are from my personal experience. Maybe I should apologize for these. Often feel my stories lack the impact judges expect. Sometimes I love their choices but sometimes I wonder what they saw in a piece. I have never thought of myself as a writer before so am still learning and experimenting.

Reply

Calvin Kirby
17:27 Mar 08, 2024

You captured the character perfectly and I think you are a great writer. Keep it up.😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:44 Feb 25, 2024

My husband and I like the trucking programs. Not as raunchy as your tale. Blinded by the boobs. My husband used to relocate campervans and as this generally included a ferry ride between islands, he got to meet many of the truckers on the way, slept/ate with them. He loved his life on the road. (I could trust him) 'The easy double nickles he was maintaining was lulling him to the point of shutter trouble.' Just a thought. 2nd 'was' lulling. Maybe, '. . . he was maintaining, lulled him to the point . . . ? Another great story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:43 Feb 26, 2024

So glad you could somewhat relate and liked it. My husband got his CDL once but ended up not using it but I learned some about the lingo. Not all trucking is like this story. Totally fabricated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
12:03 Feb 23, 2024

A spicy story, Mary. I’d forgotten about CB radios.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:26 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joseph Ellis
14:18 Feb 22, 2024

This is one heck of a funny slice-of-life story. 😂

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:12 Feb 22, 2024

Glad you found it enjoyable!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:53 Feb 22, 2024

Now I have the song "Convoy" stuck in my head! The jargon really set the mood.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Campbell
00:30 Feb 22, 2024

Fun dialogue that would raise eyebrows if the author was male, but you managed to show how men objectify women in their headlights in a reversal of gender perspective. Nicely told and catch you on the flip side.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
17:31 Feb 21, 2024

Sexy story, Mary :) with some good trucker jargon. This was a lot of fun to read :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:34 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks for the sexy comment. I am tweaking the sequel with a lot more of it but don't know if it will pass go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Timothy Rennels
15:10 Feb 21, 2024

"Who ever heard of a dump closed on Thanksgiving?" I love interesting characters and learning something new...like living the lot lizard life! Good read Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:56 Feb 21, 2024

I had forgotten so much of the song had to go over it again (at least 18 minutes of it). Quite the massacree. Means series of absurd events. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
14:44 Feb 21, 2024

Hi Mary. I was driving in the rocking chair with my friends and thought more about your story. I think Arlo Guthrie would be proud and I know you don't need to look up who he is. Some think truckers will be replaced by driverless vehicles, the end of an age, but it's going to take a while. According to data compiled from the U.S. Census Bureau driving a truck is the most common job in 29 of the 50 states in America. More than 80,000 drivers are needed to make up a shortage in America this year alone. And unfortunately, this problem doesn'...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:50 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks for the extra exposition. Although he trained as a trucker once my husband never became one but was still a rambling man taking us from city to city with his career in computer controls. His dad was one as was mine once upon a time so I guess the thrill of the open road was ingrained in us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:39 Feb 21, 2024

Great take on the prompt!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:18 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:37 Feb 20, 2024

Great atmosphere in this story. I've truckers in the extended family, so quite a bit here felt familiar. Might have added more swearing regarding electronic logbooks though :) The protagonist is interesting. There's a vague hostility to him, and he's not entirely likable. Very much an older guy with an older mindset - but at the same time, he's following the rules, he doesn't resort to fists. The main feeling I'm getting here is huge frustration - both with a changing world - with circumstances out of his control, where maybe he puts in th...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:56 Feb 20, 2024

I was going for cynical as per prompt. But you are right on all counts. I have a hard time with swearing since I seldom do;) Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:00 Feb 20, 2024

Hi Mary Your first few paragraphs made me feel very English - I was so glad when I read some of the other comments and read that others had Googled translations to make sense of everything. I felt immediately as if I watching a US movie that I was initially not able to follow - and then at the end of the movie, thinking 'Oooh, that was good'. Yep, Mary, a good story. Thanks for writing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:27 Feb 20, 2024

Thanks for liking and the honest comments. Maybe that's one place I could have used the American tag.

Reply

Stevie Burges
09:20 Feb 21, 2024

Yep our 'shared' language sometimes causes understanding issues - and don't even mention the spelling!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Taylor Reed
15:53 Feb 19, 2024

That moment when I had to lot up what lot lizards meant lol. Loved the story, made me laugh by how cocky he is.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:51 Feb 19, 2024

Glad you got an unexpected education. Thanks for the follow..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
14:57 Feb 18, 2024

Hey Mary, I loved your atmospheric take on the prompt. I could almost taste the grit and dust in my mouth by the end. You created a couple of memorable characters with insatiable desires and an escalating sexual tension throughout the piece. The dialogue was flirty without being trite and had a steady momentum of its own. I felt certain the ending was going to get physical; either Drifter got shacked up or there’d be a dust up. He got lucky and made the right choice for everyone else’s sake. I’m guessing the alternative could’ve got messy. ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:50 Feb 18, 2024

Thanks. Glad it came off as well as did. Started a follow-up for them this week but it has turned quite physical and don't know if it is in an acceptable range. Needs tweaking.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:58 Feb 18, 2024

Hmmm… I guess if you employ Reedsy’s content warning system then it’s a ‘caveat emptor’ situation; your potential readership will have to choose whether to proceed or not…. But, it sounds intriguing, so tweak on :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
09:00 Feb 18, 2024

Well, that's a big 10-4 for this story. Interesting take on the prompt. Road read.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:40 Feb 18, 2024

10-4. Thanks for liking it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
01:12 Feb 18, 2024

Not being familiar with trucker lingo, I read the first paragraph three times and google some of the words. You make me feel as if you've personally had experience, and if you haven't, all the more brilliant.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:18 Feb 18, 2024

My husband almost became a trucker about ten years ago, my Dad was one, my son recently switched from being a sheriff detective to driving new class B's to their destinations. So have heard some lingo.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
22:20 Feb 17, 2024

Love this Mary. Super saucy! Love the line ‘and my eyes are up here.’ Reminds me of a line a friend used once ‘you can talk to them but they won’t talk back!’ Really enjoyed

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:54 Feb 17, 2024

Glad you like saucy!

Reply

Rebecca Detti
09:27 Feb 18, 2024

It was a treat! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
13:45 Feb 17, 2024

I enjoyed the tone of this story, it was fun, flirty and a little bit risqué and sassy. A fun read, thanks for sharing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:15 Feb 17, 2024

Thanks for liking fun, flirty, sassy and risqué. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
18:22 Feb 16, 2024

The title is a grabber alone, and that closing line is the perfect clincher! The atmosphere you created is perfect, and the mix of unconventional hope and spicy sweetness makes for a saucily satisfying tale!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:51 Feb 16, 2024

Tasty for a restaurant. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:36 Feb 16, 2024

Love at first sight, and her face wasn't bad either. Great take on the prompt.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:45 Feb 16, 2024

😉 Thanks for the fun comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.