Tusks and Daggers Part Seventeen: The Secrets in the Past.

Written in response to: Set your story inside a character’s mind, literally.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance

Boran wouldn’t wake up, panic gripping my mind. Shaking him, a dream slug sucking on his neck. Whimpering in pain, it was my duty to get into his head. Shifting through all of the spells Antler had gifted us, everyone watching me with concern. Turning back towards them, several orders flooded from my lips. Tucking a piece of hair behind my ear, the right spell sat in my hand. Unrolling the ancient parchment papers, my fingers drew the circle. One of the twins went to remove the slug, Lord Somata stopping them. A tired look dimmed his usually joyful eyes, a grimace plastering his face. The gentle morning breeze nipped my cheeks, his white silk dress shirt fluttering.

“If you remove that slug, he will die.” He warned cautiously, avoiding my evil eye. “You have to defeat the monster in his nightmare. That venom is thriving on his nightmare, so get in there Lottie.” Rolling my eyes, what did he think that I was doing? Cutting my palm, the dirt crunched as I pressed my palms onto the ground. Blue light danced around me, sleepiness winning me over. Crashing forward, the odd trees of the forest fading to our home.

 A sea of colorful flowers danced in front of me, several warthog demons running around. The rough fur on their head fluttered in the breeze, his father watching from the distance. His red mohawk stood out, a younger Boran holding his hand. The tension cut the air, his dad ruffling Boran’s dark brown boar head. A flash of shaggy brown hair caught my eyes, his fingers wrapping around the tree. Sprinting over to him, tears swam in his eyes. Clutching me close to his chest, teardrops crashed to the top of my head. My lips parted to question why we were here, his mother chasing after them.  Horror widened my eyes, his father’s rich robes swaying in the blustery gust. Gizmo crashed onto the field, just his touch killing all of the flowers. Her  long brown hair blew all around her face, her red eyes glaring from her white warthog head. Bowing her head to charge him, Boran’s fingers dug into my arms. Was this how his mother died? A cry of frustration burst from his lips, the ground trembling. Stomping her foot on the ground, a sea of white energy blasted Gizmo’s scaly body into the thicket of trees. Struggling to his feet, the black dragon staff spun in his palms. His lips moved silently, the younger version of Boran running towards his beautiful mother. Childlike glee faded from his eyes, a ball of black flame flying towards his heart. Silent words flooded from his mother’s lips, her white lace gown the last thing I saw. My face paled, Boran’s grip on my arms getting tighter. The corner of his lips quivered, cold sweat dripping off of our brows. A wail of agony exploded from his lips, the ball of black flames hitting her in the chest. Attempting to attack Gizmo, my strength barely holding him back. 

“You can’t change the past!” I shouted over the chaos, his fists banging into my arms. “You need to destroy the nightmare in your head. Every situation is going to suck, but you have me to help you out.” Watching for a clue, tears flooded from his eyes. Covering my mouth, my eyes watered at the sight of black flames devouring his mother. A black robed figure darted deeper into the woods, my attempt to drag him with me failing. Refusing to move, his horrified look couldn’t stray from the image of his father holding his mother closer to him. The wails of his father rang in my ears, blood pouring from my ears. Wrapping my arms around his neck, his chin rested on the top of my head. His heartbeat was slowing down, my heart rate speeding up. Something was off, the cloaked figure circling us. 

“I am scared.” He admitted honestly, shaking his head. “Every single time I go back to that memory, I always felt so much guilt that I couldn’t help him.” Pressing my lips against his sweetly, his body melted into mine for a moment. We needed to end this before his mind decayed into utter madness, his trembling finger tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. The sight of the cloaked figure unsettling me, a strange energy swirling off of his back. The whole thing just felt horrible like a cold that wouldn't leave you alone.

“Let’s go.” I sighed deeply, the cloaked figure disappearing into the woods. “We have to defeat the parasite in your mind right now.” Dragging him deeper into the wood, dirt crunching underneath our boots. A wall of energy waved in front of us, our hands going through the other side. A lump formed in our throats, a wet noise sloshing in my ears as we stepped through. My breath hitched at his bedroom, white boards lining the wall. Rough toys lined crooked shelves, a long black mat covering the floor. My heart shattered at the sight of a lonely Boran, the shadows hiding him. A cruel voice hissed in our ears, shivers running up our spine. A bony hand grazed our neck, the two of us jumping out of our skins. 

“Can’t you see? You were always alone.” The male voice suggested darkly, always staying just out of our direct sight. “I should have infected you, your brain is full of so much trauma. Maybe you two deserve each other. This one is a doozy, and is going to hurt you worse. I promise to break you, Boran. Good luck finding the way out in this challenge.” Cocking my brow, there had to be a way to ensnare him. The bedroom door burst open, his father stomping in. His tattered robes floated by his feet, his big hands dragging him down the hall. Chasing after him, no one turned back towards us. Sensing about how this was about to go, rage boiled in my veins. His father raised a belt towards the eight year old Boran, his cries echoing down the hall. Terror paralyzed his feet, a distant look growing in his eyes. Reaching for his hand, alarm rounded my eyes as my hand fell through. What was happening? Falling to his knees, this needed to end.  Placing my hands on my hips, my scythe slid into my eager palm. This monster kept devouring his soul, his body fading in and out. A steady stream of curse words flooded from my lips, the scene freezing.

“How about a new game?” I offered irritably, a growl rumbling in my throat. “If I can find you in your own realm, I win. If I lose, you can have my soul in place of his. How does that sound? I have more than enough tragedy to feed you for a century.” The cloaked figure leapt in front of me, a chilly breath drifting from his skeletal jaw. The rough cloak itched my skin, his yellowed bony fingers tracing my cheek. Tilting his head, clammy sweat drenched my skin. My hair clung to my face, the aura of death looming behind him. Clenching my jaw, the longer his hollowed eyes bore into mine the more his fingers wrapped around my soul. His touch was icy, his darkness attempting to snuff out the light.

“I accept.” He growled excitedly, snapping his fingers. “I can only be within the bounds of his mind.” The hallway melted to the field around Mina’s home, thunderclouds rumbling in. Blinking a couple of times, his cloak swayed in the corner of my eye. Rolling my eyes, this was going to be a chore. Unfortunately, my soul was on the line. Placing my palm on the ground, his energy was everywhere but nowhere at the same time. Time to get clever, Boran laying still next to me. Scanning the field, his voice sent chills up my spine.  

“I will give you two hours to find me.” He sang jovially, my brows raising with suspicion. “You can’t use your tracking magic on me, so you will have to use your wits. I can’t wait to taste your soul.” If he wants clever, then clever he gets. Kissing Boran on the forehead, the grass swayed in the blustery gust. If I was a bastard, then where would I hide? An idea came to mind, a golden hourglass appeared in the sky. Sprinting into the woods, the branches creaked as I pulled myself up. Hopping from branch to branch, my eyes scanning the shadows. Every grain of sand dropping echoed in my head, the time passing faster than I was expecting. Ditching my forest plan, the grass tickled my leg. Horror rounded my eyes, only ten minutes remained. How the hell did an hour and fifty minutes pass by so quickly. I checked everywhere, from the inside of my childhood home to the edge of his bubble. Dread bubbled in my stomach, blue flames devouring my scythe. 

“Think fast.” I whispered to myself, a defiant grin dancing across my determined face. “I will just have to draw him out.” Slamming the tip of the blade into the ground, blue flames spreading like the sea.  Sadness tinged my eyes, watching my childhood home and field go up in flames. Forgive me Mina. Yelping echoed in the air, his cloak fluttering in the sky. Leaping into the air, my fingers wrapped around his cloak. A frown darkened his face, knowing that I won. Snapping his fingers, a wave of icy water dulled the flames. Landing gracefully on my feet, Boran snapped awake. Sitting up, he rested his hands on his knees. The cloaked figure glared in the distance, bowing his head in shame. The urge to tell him to beat it grew inside of me, a rock sinking into my stomach.

“I didn’t know you grew up like that.” I comforted him sweetly, the way he was sitting made him look like a small child. “I always thought your father was nice. I am so sorr-'' Grasping my arms, a myriad of emotions flashed on his face.  Clutching me close to his chest, the figure waved one last time before disappearing in a puff of black smoke. Turning my attention back to Boran, the storm clouds drifted away. Gray skies lightened to blue, sobs wracking his body. Teardrops soaked the top of my head.  

“Don’t feel pity for me!” He protested spitefully, attempting to push me away. “I didn’t want anyone to find out! They would just look at me as a pathetic monster. How did you love me anyways with a boar head on top of my neck! I don’t understand you at all.” Refusing to let him go, his chin rested on my head. Leaping to my feet, my hand hovered in front of his face. Confusion twisted his face, the wear and tear of the bad memories showing on his puffy face. 

“Do you trust me?” I asked sweetly, his fingers wrapping around mine. “I want to show you something.” Struggling to his feet, a distant look dimmed his face. Dragging him through the field, the two of us skidded to a stop at the base of the tallest oak in the forest. Climbing up, tears streamed down my cheek. Resting on the top branch, the sight of my home made my heart shatter. I missed my homeland, the way the air smelled. 

“I loved you from the moment I met you, or at least was attracted to you.” I continued softly, taking his hands. “Can’t you see all of that beauty? It reminds me of you, rough but handsome as hell.  We can stay here for a few moments longer.” Biting his lips, his arm wrapped around my waist.  Kissing the top of my head, his energy was much calmer. Gazing lovingly into my eyes, nothing needed to be said.  Sliding his hand down to my bump, my heart fluttered.  Not many people saw this side of him, his reserved personality proving to be his mask his entire life.  

“Nothing is as beautiful as you.” He complimented tenderly, pulling me closer to him. “You are the most amazing woman I know, but please keep my childhood a secret from everyone else. I don’t want them thinking I am weak.” Smiling warmly, his wish was my command. Turning my attention back onto the land, the sea of color danced.  Mina’s home twirled into the sky, the world shifted around.  All of our memories played on screens, his finger pointing to his favorite ones. Listening to him talk about our memories made me smile to myself, his favorites the smaller moments we had.  Wishing we could stay here forever, he snapped his fingers.

Jerking awake, all of our friends leaping with joy. Boran sat up, resting his hands on his knees. Leaping into Boran’s arms, the huge grin on his lips told me that he was going to be alright. Kissing my lips feverishly, a tender blush rose to my cheeks. Everyone gagged around us, all of their eyes rolling. The twins hung back with Somata’s brothers, Sir Acorn resting on his shoulder. Flipping his hair over his shoulders, he clapped his hands. Bowing in my direction, his gloved hands pointed to the finished dinner. 

“You two can come get dinner when you want.” He chirped cheerfully, walking over the crackling fire. The stars twinkled in the sky, the moonlight bathing the thriving forest. Laying back, we both didn’t want to move. Bats flitted across the sky, the night creatures coming to life. Glancing over at him warmly, my real smile illuminating my face. Intertwining my fingers with his, his crooked grin melting my heart.  

“You aren’t weak.” I said quietly, making sure no one heard me. “It must have been hard for you to keep it all in. I will always stand by your side, and you can tell me anything. Trauma has a way of messing you all up. If you ever feel like you need a break, just tell me.” Pulling me on top of his chest, his thumb traced my cheek. Smiling warmly up at me, a mix of emotions flickered in his eyes.  

“The same goes for you.” He joked tenderly, our friends calling for us. “You don’t talk about anything either. If you want to talk to me, maybe I could help you out. Let us take care of you every now and then.” Chuckling to myself, he pouted as I jumped to my feet. Offering him my hand, his hand wrapped around mine. Pulling him up, we ran over to our friends. Time to eat!

October 15, 2022 03:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.