2 comments

Adventure African American Thriller

Pop!

Today was a Friday at the Fitzgerlad's house. Movie night. Every Friday we would take turns choosing a movie, and this Friday it was Jenna's turn. Jenna, my little sister, is a 7-year-old girl and is obsessed with shows such as "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", and "Dora". Everytime her turn comes, she insists on watching the same exact show.

Lucky me

We were getting ready to start the movie. Ma was popping popcorn in the microwave cubical device while Pa was setting up the intergalactic disk on the screen. We all huddled together on the large electronic folding sofa, ready to begin the film.

"My little pony, my little pony. Ah. Ah, Ah ahhhhhh..."

I rolled my eyes at the scene and immediately grabbed my new iPhone50 to text my friends, yet right as I tried to open the app it didn't work.

Strange.

Everything in Greenville had been corrected a decade ago, any error was very unlikely.

I thought that something had gone wrong with the signals and thought nothing of it. I resumed watching the show. A while later I happened to see Pa, who had gotten a text from work and had gone to check it out.

'Strange', I thought again.

How come Pa had been able to receive a text message if our devices ran on the same signal?

I glanced over at my phone again, it still wasn't functioning properly. I decided to tell Pa about it tomorrow, as not to disrupt Jenna in her banter.

I decided to get my mind off the matter and take a little break, so I decided to go where any 13 year old boy would go when trying to be a brave man.

"I- need to go use the restroom." I said as I rushed off to the bathroom, leaving my Mother and Father staring after me in confusion while Jenna, who has gotten deep into the plot of the cartoon, didn't even notice.

"I'll go check on him," my Mother said as she got up from the couch.

--------

Earlier that day at the Communications Technology Factory

"Everything is going as planned, but are you sure we should increase production? The Machinery is stressed as it already is, I don't think adding extra pressure will help." said Mr. Reese, a dark, tall 48 year old man who works as an assistant at the Communication Tech Company. 

"Oh nonsense! If we mass produce this new technology we would be 'helping' so many people, wouldn't we? This technology is special!" stated Ms. Keres, she is a young beautiful woman, fair skinned with little blonde curls, and a sweet innocent face. She is extremely persuasive and keeps her motives hidden behind a friendly façade. She is the one in charge of the Company. 

"But-" started Mr. Reese.

"No, I will hear no more of this matter! Start the Machinery!" shrieked Ms. Keres, who obviously wasn't going to allow Mr. Reese a chance to persuade her.

In the end Mr. Reese reluctantly agreed, "As you wish.." he muttered. 

At once the Machinery began to progress, speeding up the production. 

Mr. Reese stared in awe, in shock by the quick machinery while Ms. Keres grinned a malicious smile.

Buzz! Bang! Sizzle!

The Factory had gone up in flames.

-------

I shut the bathroom door, locking it and making it secure as possible. I went to the sink, washing my face with clean water. I looked up, seeing my chubby black face on my chubby body, I didn't like what I saw but my thoughts quickly went away from looks.

Knock, Knock!

"Who is it?" I asked as I quickly grabbed the towel and dried my wet hands and face.

"It's just me, Topher'." my mother replied. I unlocked the door.

"What's wron' dear?" she asked, I sensed concern in her voice.

"Oh nothin', I just needed to use the bathroom. Heh, just some.." I searched the corners of my mind, desperately looking for an answer to what I was up to.

"Some........DIARRHEA! Yes, I was having diarrhea." I replied quickly, not realizing what I had just said.

"Oh.. ? You alrigh' then hon'?" she asked growing confused.

"Yep, heh, just an average day of diarrhea.." I said.

"Alrigh', remembe' to wash yo' hands." she laughed then walked back on to the sofa.

"Ughh" I moaned at my lame excuse. Diarrhea? DIARRHEA? Couldn't I have gotten any other excuse? I was leaving the bathroom so I reached to shut the lights.

Click.

Click.

Click.

They wouldn't budge. First my phone, now the lights.

Uncanny.

I kept on flipping the light switch hoping for it to close sooner or later.

Spark! Poof!

The lights had short-circuted and began releasing sparks all around the bathroom. The lights turned on, but were red. Everything became horrific, the lights said 'Topherrrr', the sparks turned into flames, the flames spread towards me and me only.

Now I knew something was definetly wrong.

----------

It was in a dark alley. Smoke in the air, and the glazing of a fire in the distance.

Ms. Keres emerges holding a black briefcase, Mr. Reese behind her. Both were coughing with charred faces.

"Are you sure this was the best solution, Ms. Keres?" He asked her as he coughed.

"Of course you dimwit! We had to increase production. How else will I maintain this ridiculous company?" she sneered, staring at Mr. Reese in disgust.

"But, it seems the devices we have already created and sold malfunctioned in the fire. They seem to have gotten a strange glitch which makes their initial purpose to harm a 13 year old boy who goes by the name of 'Topher Fitzgerald'." replied Mr. Reese.

"Interesting, where does this little boy live Reese?" she said.

"Greenville," he replied.

"Well then, seems like we have somewhere to be." she stated as she entered the limo and motioned for Mr. Reese to hurry up inside."

Mr. Reese quickly got inside the limo, ready for the mission ahead.

February 23, 2021 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dan Nguyen
01:41 Mar 14, 2021

Hi Elizabeth, I love your story and how you used a huge amount of humour! I really enjoyed reading your submission and the story is just really interesting! I can really relate to your character as the little sister likes to watch the same thing over and over. ( same as my brother) In addition, your story is an excellent story. Congratulations on your first story and keep writing :)

Reply

13:32 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.