0 comments

Horror Adventure Mystery

My best friend Alex and myself, had agreed to spend the night in the graveyard that is behind the church. His theory was that on Halloween night, if we venture in a graveyard, we are likely to see paranormal activity. I was skeptical but I had an open mind about it.


We had decided to visit the site after 10 PM.


We were having supper at my place while watching the World Series. The Yanks versus the Nats. I am a big baseball fan. My friend, more into hockey. As we were discussing our plans after the supper, Alex mentioned if we needed any special equipment during our excursion.


‘’Alex, you are the one that suggested the idea of going to the graveyard.’’


‘’I know, I was just asking.’’


‘’Just make sure your cell is fully charged. In case we need to take pictures or record a video.’’


‘’Got it.’’


‘’Let’s enjoy the Evil Empire win the World series now.”


‘’Pardon?’’


‘’It is a famous, or infamous, depends on how you see it, nickname given to the Yankees.’’


‘’Ah….got it.’’


Yes, Alex did not really follow baseball…


The game is over. It is past 10:30 PM. The Nationals tied the series. Game 7 tomorrow. That ruined my night. At least I was my best friend tonight.


We hit the road. It was a 20-minute drive from my house. The streets were deserted and the graveyard was just outside the city limits. It was close to 11 PM by the time we parked the car and then started walking through the entrance of the graveyard.


It is unbelievable the difference of visiting a cemetery at night and during the day. To be here on a Halloween might, makes even more special and spookier.


This graveyard had perhaps a good thousand souls resting in peace. Maybe a little more. I can say for a fact that if you were a catholic, and living in Brownsburg, then likely your family will choose this cemetery as your final resting place.


Alex and I, decide to settle around the center of cemetery. We sat down beside this tombstone. Written on it is


Paul McIver

Dec 12 1912 – Jan 9 2018


There was no more than that. This man lived over hundred and five! I hope he had a great time while he was alive.


I had a backpack and brought some candies, chocolate and gum. It was the extra leftovers for the trick or treaters. Alex brought a few cans of Coca-Cola. Nothing better than some sweet goods and soda pops to keep us awake for an encounter with the paranormal.


‘’Jimmy, so I guess we just sit and wait?’’


‘’Yes, but keep your eyes open, and your ears too.’’


Well, it is 11:30 PM now. The place is getting really quiet. We can only hear the wind, insects and bugs noise, and an owl hooting.


We see a bunch of kids, teenagers, passing by the graveyard. Seems quite late for them to be out at this time but it is Friday night and it is October 31st. Just talking out loud, laughing, screaming, and joking around.


The site is back to a total silence. By now, it is past midnight. We are November 1st. I did not feel like staying all night at this point. It was not exciting. It did not feel like a fun adventure.


‘’Alex, what do you think? Shall we leave? There is no action going on. We just saw some teenagers passing by and that is it.’’


‘’Let’s stay for one more hour…we have nothing to lose and it is Saturday. We can sleep in and wake up late.’’


‘’Sure, but by 1 AM, I am leaving.’’


I am looking at my watch. It is now 12:56 AM.


‘’Alex, pack up…’’


‘’Jimmy, it is not 1 PM yet.”


As I stand up, I see from around ten meters in front of me, something…a woman? Can this be it? A specter??? Long black hair, white robe, barefoot, white porcelain skin, with an emotionless expression on her face. She seems to be looking straight at me.


‘’Alex, you see what I see?’’


‘’I do Jimmy. Don’t panic…’’


‘’Easy to say that. What do we do?’’


The woman in white points with her index towards the tombstone we had camped for tonight. What does Paul McIver have to do with her? Alex starts wiping the dust, leaves, plants that have accumulated on this tombstone. We realize that it is not Paul, but Paula the first name! We are desecrating her resting place…


‘’Alex, she is approaching towards us!’’


‘’She can’t harm us…’’


‘’What the hell are you talking about?”


‘’I have circled the site with salt.’’


‘’You have lost it! Are you insane???’ This is not a tv show or Supernatural!’’


‘’I have read books about all these paranormal activity and what precautions to take.’’


As she is approaching towards us in a floating balloon manner, she halts. Was Alex, right? Did his theory work? She was looking right into our eyes. She seemed not unhappy but not happy either. At this point, I think I was going to piss in my pants.


‘’Alex, my buddy, are we going to die here?’’


‘’I don’t think so. Let’s clean up. This is her site…’’


‘’Clean up and then? You want us to leave the circle?’’


‘’Not right away. Let me think about it. I am not sure at this point.

We still have at least five hours to go before sunrise.’’


She was not budging and she was now circling us 360 degrees. This is a nightmare. What the hell I was thinking and letting Alex get into my mind to come here.


‘’Should we call someone? We got two cell phones with us,’’ I asked.


‘’You are you going to call? We will be the laughing stock of the town. My battery of my phone is dead! Check yours now!’’


‘’Mine as well! Damn it! Alex, I don’t give a damn…I am going to make a run to the car.’’


The winds are picking up and the salt laid on the ground is getting thinner by the minute.


As I see the lady in white advancing, I start running on the opposite direction and I feel a hand grabbing my right shoulder! That is it! I am going to be buried here…


‘’Let me go! I did not do anything. Forgive me for settling our camp on your resting peace. Let me go!!!!’’


‘’Jimmy!!! Wake up! Just a nightmare. I guess you had too many candies or the loss of the Bronx Bombers was tough to digest. Hahahahahaha!’’


‘’Shut up Alex. You and your tv show Supernatural! It got my imagination running wild.’’


‘’Good night then. I am going back to room. By the way, you feel asleep on the couch and yes, we were supposed to venture to that graveyard at the end of the city limits tonight.’’


‘’Night Jimmy. Perhaps, next year, during the day, on a non-Halloween day.’’


As I go to get a glass of water in the kitchen, I see from window, a woman in a white dress. Who is she? At 2 AM? A specter or someone headed home from a Halloween party? Maybe I need to go check my eyes at the optometrist…





October 30, 2020 05:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.