0 comments

Asian American Contemporary Friendship

At precisely 4:15 pm on a school day afternoon while waiting for someone to pick them up, two students had the same thought: What am I gonna have for dinner? Considering this is a rather generic question that most people ask themselves at some point during the day, this would not be so notable. But, taking into account that neither of them knew the other, and they were in a very similar occasion one would think that is quite special. 

One of the previously mentioned students had the tendency to think about things like Will I even make it home tonight? Or What if the power is off meaning I can't cook? Ironically enough this was one day in which thoughts of the same kin did not appear in her mind. Most likely her mind didn’t have as much time to wander or worry. Tonight was special, she was seeing her dad. 

It wasn’t like she hadn’t seen him in years or anything but it had been a few weeks and she needed a break from the familiarity of her house and mother. Even the drive there could be considered therapeutic, all by herself in her own world as the real one passes her by. 

Sometimes her parents fought which led a month or more without seeing her dad. Most of the time she didn’t mind it except for when her mother would complain to her, but it was different this time. Everything at home and at school had become much too overwhelming for her to bear emotionally and physically. She loved learning new things but despised school because of the terrible teachers and students. A lot of them lacked perspective due to their affluence. She wasn’t friends with anyone and never did the things she wanted to make sure there were never any run-ins with teachers.  All she really wanted was to lay down and release all of the stress and anxiety she feels during most days. Sleep was the only thing that made her feel okay. And she had become accustomed to the idea of sleeping away her problems. But she couldn’t do that without being called lazy or useless in her house so she kept going and every step she took made her feel more and more like she was decaying slowly from the inside out. Everything made her tired even when she had a good night's rest, though those were few and far between. 

On the other side of the school was a boy who had only thought about dinner because he was hungry. He never thought about things very deeply and thought there was nothing wrong with that, though he hadn’t explored the concept of philosophical thought very much. It wasn’t that he didn’t know how to think deeply of things he just believed he knew how he felt and there wasn’t much to do with that. Things were as simple as being hungry and wondering what’s for dinner. There was no reason for him to suspect he wouldn’t make it to dinner. No worry in his mind, or no worries that he would allow to surface. 

In his subconscious mind there were myriad things going on. All of which have to do with his mother. Will she be home tonight? If she isn't, where will she be? With someone who isn’t my dad? But he would never let these things resurface because the one time he did the only place he was that week was his bed. He could not afford to do this again because getting behind in all of his classes wasn’t a good idea. Not if he wanted to start a better life than his mothers, and “That starts with a good college,” according to his father. 

So for now he would bide time little by little. But while waiting for his older brother to pick him up, his thoughts diverged from food to a girl. A girl tripped over his legs, that in all fairness were sprawled across the ground, and fell half on the concrete and half on his lap. She put her hand on his leg to push herself upward. When she realized this was what she was doing, she moved startlingly quickly to avoid touching him any more. All the while mumbling a multitude of cuss words. 

“You good?” he asked

“No, I’m great, thanks for asking,” 

After she had gotten on her feet and was stable enough to keep walking in no particular direction, she thought of how awkward she must have looked to him. Then she realized that she was still standing right in front of him. 

“Are you sure, ‘cause you’re making this weird face,” 

“No, really I’m doing great,” she stated

“Now that I think about it, I know you from somewhere right?”

“I wouldn’t say you know me if you can’t remember me,” 

“I guess you have a point,” he said quizzically.

Ethan Zhang, a name that Kyoko Nakahashi knew belonged to the boy sitting in front of her had forgotten someone he must’ve seen at least an hour ago. Not that it surprised her, a lot of people do forget that she is in their class. Usually it isn’t someone she has multiple classes with, to be completely honest she wasn’t especially surprised. He always seemed to be distracted throughout the day.

“I’m Kyoko, i’m in all of your AP classes,” and she smiled. 

“Oh I’m sorry, it must have slipped my mind,” this was followed by seconds of silence,” What are you doing here?” 

“Waiting, or maybe hoping for someone to pick me up,” 

After that there wasn’t much else to say, so he sat back down in silence and she joined him. He thought that she talked to him without any expectations. All there was, had been simple albeit boring conversation. She wasn’t even offended when he had forgotten her. All she did was say her name and smile. And something about that stood out because there weren’t a lot of people in his life that didn’t expect something from him, no matter how little.

Kyoko pondered for a moment about what she could say to further the conversation. Although she realized that sitting in silence was a perk of being one of the last students to go home, she wanted to talk more to him. Maybe because she believed that there was a person right next to her worth talking to. 

“What’s your favorite class?” she inquired, her speech slurring together which took Ethan a moment to decipher the question. 

“Umm… I think English maybe. What about you?” 

“Honestly I’m not sure, at this point going to school is a chore,” 

Ethan was surprised by this comment, not because he didn’t agree but because she didn’t seem like the type to think that. He expected her to be a regular smart kid. One that didn’t mind the racist comments or just genuinely liked being around school kids. She realized he was thinking and decided to take them into a different direction. 

“What’s your favorite book?” 

“To be honest I don’t read all that much, I just like English cause’ It’s easy,” he shrugged

“Well then, do you mind if I make a recommendation?” 

Books were a passion of Kyoko’s. She didn’t like annotating and dissecting, not when it was for a grade. But books helped her escape to a different world, one that could be filled with evil or filled with good. It didn’t matter which, she just wanted to leave where she was even for a short period of time. 

“No, I wouldn’t mind,” he replied

“1Q84-” she opened her bag and pulled a large book out,”-by Haruki Murakami,” 

Then she spotted her dad’s gas guzzling truck. 

“I have to go but I think you might like it, you just seem that way,” 

Kyoko handed him the book and hopped into her car with Ethan left confused and in deep anticipation. 

Later that night he decided to get a jump on reading. He was never a fan of books in general. Though he was a good reader, as he teachers would often say. He also had quite the fast pace. So by the time he was ready to sleep he had made it to the middle of the book. Everything had hooked him immediately. The description and vividness of the scenes and life of the people the book followed made him develop a very deep fondness for the characters. He needed to talk to someone about it. 

The next day happened to be a Saturday and since he had no idea who she was until yesterday he had to wait for Monday to come. But that seemed unacceptable because he couldn’t stop reading and he NEEDED to be with someone that understood. 

Fortunately, with almost one fourth left he realized a sticker on the back of the book. If found please return to 9139 Morrissey Avenue. He recognised the place, an old library he passed everyday on his way to school. 

When he arrived he saw that the place looked quite run down. But the lights were on and people were moving in and out. He was almost scared to go in. What if she wasn’t even there? Why did I even come? Im so stupid. But he forced himself to go inside. The place was unusually busy. He always thought it was closed when he would drive past. But it was completely different now. Even though the place was rusty it was lively and it seemed warm. 

In the very front he realized a cafe had been started. Or at least a tea shop everyone who was sitting had a book they read. Everything seemed in place and so was everyone. An old lady had spotted him looking like a lost deer. She beckoned him over to the register she manned. 

“You seem to be looking for something?” She asked, he could tell it was a question because she had paused for an answer. 

“Yes, do you know where this book came from,” he held it up for her to see.

“Well most obviously our shop. But let me guess Kyoko gave it to you,” 

This sparked an interest in Ethan’s eyes that the grandmother keenly noticed. 

“Of course she did!” she exclaimed,”KYOKO!!” 

A voice from the back faintly answered, and she emerged. As soon as she saw Ethan she leaned over the desert filled glass counter and asked about how he liked the book. They sat down at a table and talked for hours about everything that happened. He believed afterwards that was the happiest he had been in years. Even though Kyoko’s father couldn’t spend the weekend with her anymore and Ethan’s mom may have been doing something immoral. They had the best day of their lives together. They had bonded over one day. 

Both of them read the same book, and it made both extremely happy the other had the same excitement over it. They hoped to stay friends. They hoped the other wouldn’t leave. They hoped they’d see the other on Monday. And that night they both went to sleep. And they hoped.

April 24, 2021 03:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.