0 comments

Fantasy

As I walk towards my house, the wind chimes swinging mysteriously in the wind, rain pouring lightly on my head, my shoes squishing through the mud, something feels off. I walk up the steps that lead to the front porch, clutching the straps of my backpack, wary of the odd feeling in my gut. As I grab the door handle that leads into the house, I feel a shiver run up my spine. I open the door a crack and notice Lu, my wonderful dog isn’t jumping at the door, waiting for me to walk through. Odd. No barking from the back of the house either. Mom’s not in the kitchen, waiting with a tray of cookies in hand, ready to ask me about my day. Dad’s not here, most likely at work, the most normal thing since I got home. I walk into my home, and hang my backpack on the coat rack next to the door. I wipe my shoes off on the mat, getting rid of the excess mud.

   “Mom? Dad?” I shout into the dim room, “Not funny, guys!” Everything looks oddly discolored. I don’t feel the happiness I usually do as I walk through the house after coming back from school. My wonderful house is abnormally very clean. Everything is put away, but dust collects on everything. I climb up the stairs to the second floor, my hand gripping the hand railing tightly. Downstairs, I had noticed there was no note explaining why nobody is here. Mom’s usually always on top of things. I stop in my tracks. My nose tickles and I sneeze, freeing my hand from the rail as dust billows up all around me. I swipe my finger on the railing. A thick layer of dust comes off and sticks to my sweaty finger. Almost as if nobody has lived here for years.

   Panicking, I run up the rest of the stairs and into my room, slamming the door behind me. Instead of messy blankets and stuffed animals all over my bed, everything is in order and put away somewhere, out of sight. The quilt on my bed and my dresser with my little trinkets I’ve collected over the years, are, again, coated in dust, no sign of anyone living here. I slump against my door, confused to no end. All of a sudden, an open book, that I’m sure wasn’t there when I came in, starts glowing a bright blue. I walk towards it, mesmerized by the light, wondering what adventure awaits me. Before I could come to my senses, I reach out and touch, my hand oddly sinks into the pages. I try to pull my hand out, but something pushes me into the book and I close my eyes.


……….


   I wake up in the middle in a field of fruit and plains all around. My back hurts, my feet, and arms. I feel like I fell from the sky, which I couldn’t have… right? I look around and notice the sky is the same bright blue that the glowing book- the book! I scramble around to find it, but the glowing book is nowhere in sight.

   “Where am I?!” I wonder aloud, fidgeting with my fingers. As I stand, I hear a rumbling. I look behind me and a car is heading straight towards me! I desperately try to dive out of the way, but before I know it, the car is right in front of me, about to hit me, when it stops. 

   I stand gasping, my heart racing. I glare at the driver as he steps out. What does he think he’s doing?! I could have been killed! 

   “Young lady, is your name, *ahem*, Elliana Mousse?” The man looks like a butler as he reads off a scroll. I flinch, wondering how he knows my name. I back away slowly.

   “Who are you?” I ask skeptically, “Where am I?” The odd man clears his throat and smiles.

   “I’ll take that as a yes. Okay. This is our headquarters. Very sorry I scared you.” He starts walking towards his car as he says, “We got the message from your mother a few hours ago, we had to act quickly. I, personally, was shocked. Anna was-, sorry, is, one of our strongest and bravest members. I understand that this is quite a shock to you but, yes, you are technically in a book. Have you ever noticed how mangoes taste like a mix between a banana and cantaloupe? Anyway, the book was a portal to our headquarters-” This crazy man, oh my gosh, I can’t handle this rambling anymore.

   “Be quiet.” I say, interrupting him during his rant about nachos, he stops and stares at me, “How do I know this is true? How do I know I can trust you? What was Mom a so-called member of? Or was she even a member of your sketchy ‘headquarters’?” I take a breath and fold my arms. The man keeps staring at me, then breaks into laughter. I blanch, he honestly doesn’t take me seriously?

   “You really do have your mother's bravery and your father's words.” The man looks fondly at me and I back up more, “You need to trust us, it’s the only way you’ll see your family again.”

   “We?” I ask and I see someone come out of the passenger seat.

   “Yes, we.” I stare at the person that came out of the car and my mouth drops, “Yes, it’s me! I am so glad you made it here safely, and I can’t wait till you meet everyone, I’ve missed you so much!” I just keep staring, open-mouthed. My Aunt Kate, the one I haven’t seen in eight years, is standing there with a diamond ring on her left ring finger and her stomach bulging.

   “Aunt Kate? How- What-” I gape at her as she gestures me inside the car.

   “I’m very sorry Elli, but the reason I couldn’t see you was because of all the missions, and then I got married, and everything got so crazy-” Aunt Kate says as she fiddles with her ring.

   “Hold on, missions? You’re married? Can I even trust you?” I say as I still am in shock from seeing her, “The last time I saw you I was seven years old. You never c-came to see us or anything…” Aunt Kate looks at me and finally sees how much pain I’m feeling.

   “I’m so sorry, but, Elli, We’ve been in constant contact with your parents, we just weren't sure if you were old enough to know, and now that your parents have been taken, of course we had to tell you, and-” Aunt Kate stops mid-sentence.

   “Who has taken my parents?!” I scream and both Aunt Kate and the weird man flinch, “Where are they, I need to help them,” I start to pace, “I’ve never fought anyone, but I have to help my parents,” I look up at Aunt Kate, “I want to help.” Aunt Kate smiles and all three of us get into the car. 


……….


   By the time we get to a glowing green book, I’ve learned that the weird man is now my Uncle Jason, and they are having a baby girl. I now know that these people, they call themselves the ‘Protectors’, they help protect people, (and basically the world), from odd dangers they don’t know about, and they use glowing book ‘portals’ to get around. Now we are in the car, heading straight towards the glowing green book, that apparently leads to Uncle Jason and Aunt Kate’s house. 

“Hold on, Elli!” Aunt Kate yells as we bounce into the portal. I don’t close my eyes, and the view inside the book is oddly beautiful. Many people walk, and I can see but not touch. This feels as if I’m in slow motion, every breath is slow and deep. The green light blurs everything, and I see many things floating through it. It looks like a portrait, as if it is a painting. I shut my eyes and immediately everything speeds up, and suddenly I’m in the green driveway of my uncle and aunt’s house. 

“Hurry,” Uncle Jason says, “We haven’t got much time.” He and Aunt Kate rush into the house and gather odd looking relics and old books. They rush back out to me and I get out of the car. 

“Here,” Aunt Kate says as she hands me a staff, “We need to start training now if we want to bring your parents and Lu home. You must learn the art of magic.” I gape at her, but know I shouldn’t be surprised anymore. I harden my face and grip the staff with both hands.

“Well then,” I say as Aunt Kate grabs another book labeled ‘Training’, “Let’s get ready to save my parents.”

April 23, 2020 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.