6 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

December 29th 2017

Dear future me, Sophie Bryant started writing,

do things ever get easier? Friends, family, drama?

Sophie has been through a lot and only being nine makes it even harder. When Sophie was three her parents got divorced, and still find a way to fight, when she was six her older sister died making her an only child, when she was seven she had cancer. When she makes friends not long after they disappear into a new life just leaving her in the dust with no one to go to. She filled the paper up with questions and quickly shoved the letter into a shoe box that she could read in the future, before walking downstairs to eat dinner.

After dinner she walked back up to her room and stumbled over the shoebox and the lid fell open, she was about to put the lid back on but she noticed that her letter was gone, replaced, with a new letter from the future... from 2020. She ripped open the letter and started reading.

Dear younger me,

I wish I could tell you that things would get better but i’m Sorry they don’t, a global pandemic breaks out, lots of people die... I wish things would get better but it doesn’t seem like anything’s gonna change for a while.

The letter was short but shocking, Sophie quickly ripped out a paper from her notebook and started writing as fast as she could.

Dear future me,

How? How could you write a letter from the future, and how could I get it? Is there a way to make the world better, safer, nicer? Please respond soon! And please tell me there is a way!

That letter was pretty short but Sophie didn’t care she just wanted a life where she could be happy, so she stuffed the letter into the shoebox and waited, and waited, eventually fell asleep from waiting for so long then woke up after hearing a loud noise, she looked in the shoebox and sure enough there was a letter,

Dear younger me,

There is a way, at twelve am January first you walk up to that mirror in your room besides the closet, knock three times and wait you should be able to walk through it, think hard of what world you want to step into, a world that will change your life forever! But choose what world wisely, you won’t be able to make it back!

Sophie was so excited she couldn’t even sleep that night, it had been her dream to teleport to a world where she could live a happy life, have friends, happily married parents, friends. she dreamed about all the fun things she could do, and what life would be like.

When she woke up she was happier then ever, January first was right around the corner. She hummed happily and ate her breakfast, then walked upstairs and watched her favorite TV show to pass the time. For lunch she had pizza, her favorite, after lunch she went outside a built a snowman. “you seem quite happy today” her dad said “Huh, didn’t notice” Sophie said trying to hide a smile as she wondered if her dad would be the same in the “new” world would he still make her laugh, would her house be the same? Would her mom be the same, she sure hoped so, then she realized that everything would be different what if it didn’t work? What if this was all a dream, Sophie didn’t want it to be a dream she wanted everything to go back to normal. But she knew it would be the right thing to go to a world where she would be happy. But what if it would effect other people what if she was hurting other people while making herself fell good? Sophie decided not to worry about it once she stepped through the mirror there would be no going back.

The next day she was full of all kinds of emotions, excited, nervous, scared, happy, she didn’t know if she would do it or if she could do it. Sophie tried to think positive and ate her bowl of cereal. after breakfast she and her dad went outside and had a snowball fight like they used to do when Sophie was little. They were out there all morning and almost all afternoon. After dinner Sophie went up to her room and watched TV

It was eleven thirty and she had fallen asleep, luckily she set her alarm for eleven fifty nine, Beep! Beep! Beep! She woke up and walked lazily to the mirror once the clock struck twelve she knocked on the mirror and it turned purple and was spinning she stepped inside as she did she thought long and hard about what life she wanted to step into and landed on a bed, her bed, did it work? she asked herself as she smelled pancakes and bacon coming from the kitchen Sophie walked out of her room to see a girl walking out of the bathroom, tall and unrecognizable, but Sophie knew who it was, it was Sarah, her older sister, Sophie walked downstairs to see her two parents cooking together in the the kitchen, Sophie smiled. They all sat down at the table and talked about what would happen Sophie ate four pancakes “Whoa slow down Soph” Sarah said “Your gonna get sick if you don’t stop eating all those pancake!” “yea and leave some for us!” dad said but Sophie coudn’t help it, she had never ate pancakes that good before, or eaten anything good that her dad helped make. “Seriously Sophie, it’s like you’ve never eaten a pancake before” her dad joked. Sophie walked over to the living room and saw that almost everything was different, there were pictures of her and Sarah and there mom and dad all happy, the couch was bigger the TV was bigger it seemed happier, she kept on smiling, she couldn’t stop, she had everything she could ask for, well hopefully but if she didn’t it would be fine at least she had a happy famil!

“Oh Sophie don’t forget Ashley’s comping over today!” Her mom yelled from the other room and Sophie smiled even bigger, she had friends, Happily married parents and a sister, what more could she ask for?

November 03, 2020 02:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

16:08 Nov 03, 2020

Hey, Cadence! This was a great story. (I know we're friends in real life, but I'm going to talk like I do to everyone else on this website.) Your plot line was amazing, and I loved the teleportation-portal element. I love happy endings, and this was a perfect one. I will say that there were a few grammatical errors here and there, but nothing too major. Oh, and don't forget to create a new paragraph every time there's new dialogue. Overall, this was fantastic! -Brooke

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
19:53 Nov 03, 2020

Thanks for the tips! Still kinda new to the whole writing things

Reply

21:19 Nov 03, 2020

No problem! Hey, that's what Reedy is for! To help new writers improve their writing. After all, my writing was terrible before more people started giving me feedback here. Just keep working at it. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:20 Nov 03, 2020

Oh, and I told everyone that reads my bio to check this story out. :)

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
23:14 Nov 03, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

23:18 Nov 03, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.