Star Judgement

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Fantasy Fiction

STAR JUDGEMENT

“Welcome, please sit down”, she gestures towards an overstuffed, comfortable-looking chair. 

“Thank you, I have never done anything like this before I must admit.”

“I have done this many times, you have no need to worry. I know why you have come here, you seek truth in your end of days”.

“Yes, for too long I was locked in that cell, away from existence.  Unable to comprehend the solitude I was forced to endure. Darkness absolute in form, swirling around me always, why I was captive I know not why but for many years it was so”.

“I could feel your presence coming before today. I knew that you would be coming. I don't know how this intuition came about but I knew. U saw it didn't you I can see that in your grey eyes”. 

“When The darkness was absolute and I felt as if the very fringes of my sanity were being sucked out of me into the universe, it was at the very moment that I thought I would lose consciousness that tiny fragments of light began to swirl before me. A sound like a breeze blowing could be noticed, and my skin started to tingle”.

“The Universe is powerful; it manifests its powers within us in those moments when finality is near. Few are chosen by it, however, those that are never are the same again. When the answers are unfolded upon us we must accept that we may not understand them”.

“Slowly the tingle intensified, as did the light combining with the sound of the wind, growing to the point of intensity that I felt the very pressure of it all crushing me with its strength. It was at that moment when, yes it appeared to me”.

“Some think this is an astral projection you are describing however you know it is more, you must if you have seen it”.

“It was the moment it connected with my consciousness that I realized It was absolute in its existence.  That there was no escape, to come out the end was to come back into the beginning”.

“Yes, such is the complexity of life searching only to find nothing. I too have led a life of solitude, always being driven by the desire to know why. The way a bird knows instinctively to migrate for winter, as do I have the knowledge within me to navigate the pattern of my existence”.

“Space and time are the limitations we give ourselves, It impressed that upon me. “

“Would you like a cup of tea? I have an herbal blend that is known to relax the temperament of spirit, as I can see by the lines you wear on your face, ill-fortune seems to be your fate and serenity from this demise, ever so brief may be welcoming to you”.

“I have touched the outer cosmos with my mind and you ask me if I would like tea’, I fear I was mistaken with coming to you. I thought you may know why”?

“Ahh the great ‘why’, even now can you look at me and not know why’?

“It was at the moment that I connected with it, a vision so vivid that one did not see with the eye but observe with knowing. The universe below me, particles of a tiny speck woven into the constant around me, swirling with such force that they seemed to stand still.”

“Then you know it was not a vision”?

“There are no visions that could depict the knowing, vast as it is. To try to describe it there are no words”.

“So as you must know the why is you. This is why you have sought me out, why you were drawn here. The fabric that makes up the very being of existence is woven as deeply into the sun as it is the marrow in your bones. Some fabric is sometimes separated from the tapestry of existence. It is this small cluster of energy that is separated from the collective universe that it may look upon it”.

“I am part of that cluster? Why what separates me from anyone else why was my enlightenment granted”?

“Whatever deep state of consciousness you had attained by being isolated for so long drove your mind to expand out and venture into the cosmos. It was not a state of knowing you had but rather a linking of the particle masses of your brain to a higher plane of existence”.

“The knowledge I want it not, to understand vastness in such a way crushes the mind, a man was meant to understand the complexities of mankind however the knowledge that to no avail to exist is inconsequential, burdens the soul”.

“This is why I offer you the tea, magical in its elixir the liquid will saturate your brain and all the complexities that were presented to you in the awakening of your consciousness.  The properties of its power are a mystery even to me, however dating back to as long as man can remember he has sought ways to forget”.

“I would rather be a fool of a wise man than the wisest fool there ever was, please prepare me the drink. If it will wash this burden of knowledge from me as I may live out my days happily”.

“Drink, and with every drop may you lose enlightenment.”

“The tea has a bitter taste, almost grasslike to the pallet. I must say if it is your idea that I must die to escape this prison of knowledge could you not have added some sugar to the poison”? 

“I'm sorry my dear man escaping from the body's bond is not my aim, it is to deaden the kinetic energy emitted from your brain as a way to release your mind from the bond it has created with the cosmos”.

“Will I forget everything for as much as I by no means lead a happy life I would like to have some reference to my life in my twilight.”

“Amnesia is also not a result of the tea, what the tea will do is literally deaden the electronic impulses that have been established within you. As your brain connected to the knowledge beyond the universe so will the connection be terminated”.

“How long before I no longer know the knowing”?

“You have already begun to dissipate in the intensity your brain reaches out to it. Soon you will not know all that was presented to you, what a shame”.

“Until you are burdened with the great understanding that was burdened upon me do not judge”.

“I will not judge you, but let me ask you, being connected to the supply of force that is all were you ever content that you were a part of it, the great collective that was everything”?

“One thinks they are an original, that there are none like them and none to come like them. What I know now is even if a man is special, gifted in some way, in the grand game rock and man are no different”.

“Go now for all that has been shown to you by It will no longer be a part of you. A normal man is as you wanted to be and that is what you shall be now, for I see that you have learned that it is better to understand oneself than the cosmos”.

THE END

January 13, 2021 21:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

H L McQuaid
22:50 Jan 20, 2021

Hi Erik. Congrats on your first story submission :) Your story was suggested to me as part of the Reedsy Critique Circle. As with any critique, take it with a grain a salt, as it's just one person's opinion. There are a few things that would improve the story. The first two are pretty minor corrections. When writing dialogue, the punctuation goes inside the quotations. So in this sentence...."Why what separates me from anyone else why was my enlightenment granted”?, the question mark should go inside the quote. Also, in that sentence, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.