Hang It On The Moon

Submitted into Contest #224 in response to: Write a story about someone pulling an all nighter.... view prompt

34 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Inspirational

Hang It On The Moon

There was once a little girl born under a waning crescent moon. Her father, an amateur artist, presented her mother with a custom hand-painted art work of the infant sound asleep cuddled on the arch. The picture hung over her bed all of her childhood years. She carried it to her college dorm room and to her first home when she started adulting on her own with the first job of her career as a space scientist. While others romanticized about the full moon she felt an unwavering attachment to that slender hook of a moon.

Perhaps it was the influence of that curved crescent cradling the innocent infant but she can not remember a time when she was not a scientist interested in the heavenly bodies. Her trips to the library with her mother as a preschooler had her searching out books on planets and solar systems and the beautiful aurora borealis. Her grandfather brought her striated rocks to study from the quarry he managed. Santa brought planetariums, microscopes, chemistry sets, geology books, and math toys every year. Posters on her teen-age walls were of the Saturnian system and lunar maps not rock bands and smoldering hot movie stars.

So the child had moon dust in her lungs and stars in her eyes. She was a child of the cosmos, a ruler of the skies...

First personal connections with outer space probably had to do with having more opportunities than most other kids to see the night sky. Her parents were in college or graduate school for most of her childhood and since her father worked until three or four in the morning as a member of the military, the household was naturally shifted to the night-time hours and all engaged in cheap forms of entertainment, such as low-tech stargazing.

The mystic of the moon was a natural draw. Never sleeping much before midnight, she'd stay up at night thinking, or staring out a window, and this evolved into thinking too hard about what was up there. The silvery beams beckoned.

Knowing it was either planetary science or insanity, the aspiring researcher doubled majored in astronomy and geology. From there it was a simple straight shot besides connecting with anyone in the field and developing entrepreneurial skills to be prepared to be able to write winning grants and presentations.

To become successful get a High School Diploma and of course Bachelor's Degree. Then Master's Degree and on to Ph.D. followed by Postdoctoral Appointment(s) and finally Principle Investigator which equals a Real Job. Simple step by step how to be a space scientist.

The official job title is research scientist. Research scientists make a living by developing ideas and serving as principal investigators on grants and contracts. Grants one has to win to stay employed. Research scientists can work in universities, national labs or other institutes. A theorist or experimentalist does scientific experiments and computer calculations, as well as manage project budgets and people.

Research specialties can be in planetary science and astrophysics. A planetary scientist is someone who studies solar systems and also anything found in a solar system, like planets, moons, asteroids, meteorites, comets or dust. Planetary scientists are generally hybrid experts in astronomy, geology, chemistry, physics, and/or biology. Astrophysicists focus more on how physics is applied to astronomical objects like stars, galaxies, the interstellar medium, etc.

As happens to most young women she met a young man. Not having a lot of time outside her field of study to meet others, he was in the same line of work. Common to the nature of the course they didn't have control over where in the world they might be called. Still they fell in love and put the moon into service as their go to liaison. When finally able to co-exist the natural progression happened and now they have the crescent moon art work hanging above the crib of their own little asteroid. Maybe the next generation of moon gazer?

Not into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) like this little girl? Who she is is not important. Like the phases of the moon tracking across the night sky it is the career path she chose to make her astral dreams reality.

Let's reflect upon the luminous moon of earth and all the meanings it has for humankind. How many volumes have been written in prose, poetic verse or song about the celestial body?

Imagine moonstruck lovers on lovers' lane gazing at the full serene moon making pledges to one another. He'll lasso the shimmering moon for her, get her everything she wants. They may sing to each other the moonlight serenade. Struggling once in a very blue moon after parting then longing over moon river to be in each other's arms again. Fighting the moon and the sky not to give up the relationship after trying their best. Finally running out of moonlight as they want to spend as much time with the other before they walk out forever.

How many have howled at the cloud shrouded harvest moon feeling wild and free? Or crept in shadows of the spectral moon looking for hope in hopeless situations? Searched for a sense of reality in a dream-like world under a paper moon? Shame blamed the moon for loss of innocence? Shot the moon when love changes like the seasons?

For millenniums everyone has been drawn towards the beacon at the window to talk to the man in the moon hoping he will understand how it feels to be away from the one they love or how hard it is to over come life challenges. Will he see the duality of human nature how the world often sees the worst in us? Can you hang your heart out on that hook of the crescent moon knowing he'll watch over it for you until you are ready to trust it to another?

The moon proves you do not have to be whole in order to shine. Even if only a slice is showing the whole moon is there. Just as it gravitates the oceans it can pull you to its ever beaming reflection of sunlight and tug at your heartstrings. If you are to love, love like the moon loves. It does not steal the night, it only unveils the beauty of the dark as it keeps its silent watch.

Each of us is like the moon - cratered with imperfections and concealing a dark side. The moon keeps secrets. Tell it whatever weighs on your heart. Hang your troubles on the moon. It may give you a wink and float them away. It may cradle you like an innocent child and lull you to sleep in peace.

November 16, 2023 02:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Karen Corr
18:08 Nov 16, 2023

No one pulls an all-nighter like the moon. Your story is poetic and full of feeling. I loved the part about the couple having their own little asteroid. Nicely told, Mary. 😊❤️

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:09 Nov 16, 2023

It will probably follow them everywhere for the first few years.🤗Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
06:28 Nov 17, 2023

Wow! A captivating story. I loved, loved this line: "So the child had moon dust in her lungs and stars in her eyes. She was a child of the cosmos, a ruler of the skies..." Maybe a lot of us who write had this kind of feeling as kids. I really liked this phrase as well: "they didn't have control over where in the world they might be called." A lot of us also have this sense of being directed in our journeys. I'll throw down a challenge for you -- write a story from the moon's perspective -- you so aptly describe all the attributions levied in...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:25 Nov 17, 2023

What shining comments! 🤗Thank you. Your suggestion of writing from the moon's pov would work great for the prompt 'all nighter'. Unfortunately that is due in a matter of hours and unlike you who can crank out stories in moments, I can't. But I'll keep it in mind. I always struggle for ideas.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:18 Nov 17, 2023

Until reading this I hadn't realizes just how many metaphors and expressions are connected to the moon. He has a."dark side" yes of course thats the moon. As Chris mentioned, there are many song titles that refer to the moon, inc. one of my favorite happy songs: "Dancing in the Moonlight" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JqPxmYhlo

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:18 Nov 17, 2023

Definitely a favorite for many. Thanks for commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:19 Nov 16, 2023

Hang your troubles on the moon. Lovely poetic images in this piece Mary. A very poetic style with lovely imagery, alliteration and lyrical language.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:32 Nov 16, 2023

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
04:31 Nov 16, 2023

A lot of song titles from many eras in here, Mary. Definitely challenged my recall.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:28 Nov 16, 2023

Thanks for the memories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
01:07 Apr 02, 2024

What a captivating story! It's touching to see how this girl's connection with the moon shaped her entire life, from her career choice to her relationships. The way you detailed her educational journey to becoming a research scientist adds a lot of realism to the narrative. And the romantic subplot? That's just the cherry on top, showing how shared passions can bring people together. I also loved how you delved into the moon's significance throughout history. It's amazing to think about how many people have been inspired by the moon in so ma...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:36 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you for your in depth thoughts.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
01:40 Nov 30, 2023

Hi Mary! There were so many outstanding lines for this story-I loved the one learning about how this child has stardust in their lungs, I loved how you talked about the power of the moon, and how this story held hope in its core. It was beautifully written-just like its muse. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:29 Nov 30, 2023

Thank you for catching up on so many of my musings. I know I fall behind on the people I choose to follow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:32 Nov 24, 2023

💕 'So the child had moon dust in her lungs and stars in her eyes. She was a child of the cosmos, a ruler of the skies...' The whole story was so beautiful, but that line was the most beautiful. (Coincidence or careful wording that it rhymes?) Almost brought tears to my eyes. 💕💕. (and if anyone can pull off a moon POV, you can) also sorry for reading this 2 weeks late!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:38 Nov 24, 2023

Well, thanks for the high praise. Pleased you liked it so much. As far as being late, I have been so far behind there are some shortlisted winners I may never get read from last month.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:45 Nov 22, 2023

Love the way you wrap it up, comparing everyone to the moon. 🌖 beautiful story, Mary!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:46 Nov 22, 2023

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
20:24 Nov 20, 2023

I loved, “So the child had moon dust in her lungs and stars in her eyes. She was a child of the cosmos, a ruler of the skies...” I’m not a fan of poetry, but this is out of this world. Sorry, couldn’t help myself 🤪

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:22 Nov 20, 2023

Thanks for the like and pun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
10:44 Nov 20, 2023

Loved how you drifted from science to art to life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
16:37 Nov 19, 2023

No matter how many times I see the moon, especially the thin crescent, I'm always in awe of it. Thanks for the lovely story!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:54 Nov 19, 2023

Thanks☺️.🌚wonder if it is in awe of us looking to it for answers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:37 Nov 19, 2023

For as long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with the moon - and I'm a morning person ha! Probably because my dad used to sing us, "Fly Me to the Moon." This was a beautiful tribute to the mystic and romantic powers our of moon.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:11 Nov 19, 2023

Thank you. I think 'Fly me to the Moon' was played for the Apollo astronauts as they headed there.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:31 Nov 19, 2023

That is awesome. What a way to add to the thrill and soothe the nerves!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
16:47 Nov 18, 2023

What a nice surprise this was. Not so much a story about a character as a story about all of us and how we relate to our friend in the sky. You accomplished something great here, Mary. I love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
16:47 Nov 18, 2023

What a nice surprise this was. Not so much a story about a character as a story about all of us and how we relate to our friend in the sky. You accomplished something great here, Mary. I love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:41 Nov 17, 2023

A story very much about inspiration. People have been gazing up at the sky since forever, finding awe there. There are questions up there, there's beauty up there, and since so many of us have done it through the ages, there's connection up there. The girl's life is just one modern example of it all. She had a passion and followed through with it, and from that, so many other things followed - meaning and love and life. “curved crescent cradling the innocent” - really nice alliteration. “The moon proves you do not have to be whole in o...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:15 Nov 17, 2023

Thanks for the complimentary comment.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:09 Nov 17, 2023

Loved this change from some of your stories. Absolutely beautiful. You pulled an all-nighter writing it? Wow! You pulled it off. Romance, Science, how to become a Planetary Scientist, How to play on words using the 'moon' as a subject, This one should be shortlisted! At the least.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:12 Nov 17, 2023

Wow! Thanks for the confidence booster🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
13:04 Nov 16, 2023

This was a really beautiful idea for a story Mary. And a good one for the prompt. Art and science go hand in hand but sometimes we neglect the former. I once read or heard a quote that said something like : we develop our science and technology to further our ability to create and appreciate art. This story seemed to touch on that philosophy. Really enjoyable read. Awesome job. Thanks for sharing. I noticed the word 'millenniums' in there. Is this better as 'millennia'? I might be wrong on that.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:34 Nov 16, 2023

You may be totally correct. I better look up usage. Thanks for the encouraging comment. The English plural is 'millinniums' , the Latin 'millinnia' which is the more popular one. Guess I'm okay either way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.