16 comments

Creative Nonfiction Speculative

I close my eyes, and push open the doors of the library. Sunlight streams through the back windows, down the aisles and aisles of books, and hits my face. The warmth of that light is something I've never been able to recreate - always the same, always perfect. I think it's about 3pm here, and it's always sunny. The smell of old books hits me, an addictive smell, like teak oil on wood furniture, and I open my eyes again. It's bright, and the old windows distort the light, forming patterns on the floor. If I was underwater, looking up at the surface, this is how I would feel. Perfectly supported. Perfectly balanced. Light ripples like waves on the floor, dancing and playing with the dust in the air, and I breathe out, slowly. It’s tempting, sometimes, to stay in here for as long as I can, and just see what happens. Would I fall asleep in here, and wake up at home? Would I need to leave to eat and drink, or would I sustain on the books alone? One day, once the children are grown and my work is done, I’ll try it. Life is calm here, life is easy. My library.

The library stretches as far as the eye can see, rows and rows of books and objects lining shelves which seem to disappear into the distance, as elusive as a rainbow, when you get closer. At the front of each shelf is a small bronze plate, inscribed with a word. The one closest to me reads 'family'. Next to that is 'school'. One down from that, 'work'. These plaques, written in neat printed letters, adorn every shelf I can see. I know where I'm going.

Turning right, I start to walk down to the end of the library. My shoes tap on the floor, which is hardwood and glossy, but I know better than to look down. I keep my eyes straight ahead and walk towards a small black door hidden between two of the shelves. 

The door has the same bronze label, but the font is different, a scrawl you might see on the back of a receipt. Written hurriedly, it can be difficult to read. I know what it says, though. miscellaneous. 

I close my eyes, and push open the door. 

This room looks a little like a supply closet. Without close inspection, you wouldn’t realise that these boxes aren’t filled with cleaning supplies but objects, letters, items of no value; a fact about Jenny, my ex-girlfriend’s sister; a file containing all of the baby names that my parents might have given me; two chess pieces my Grandad broke one particularly tumultuous holiday. Each is in its own file box, labelled randomly and in long, sweeping writing. My eyes flick over each in turn. ‘Wales, 1996, chatting with Maxine about the collapse of the USSR’. ‘That coffee order the man ahead of me in Starbucks wanted, what a twat’. ‘Billy’s fifth birthday party napkin design’. If you’re picturing a dodgy office backroom, you’re in the right place - fluorescent light bulbs flicker slightly, and the smell of damp is unmistakable. Grey, boring, cardboard boxes line cramped, dusty shelves. If it could, this room would make me sneeze. One box, a darker shade of grey than the rest, sits on its own on a higher shelf. I’ve always been curious as to how I should reach the shelf, why I designed it in this way, and why I didn’t think to install a ladder to let me get at it. I take down the box of Maxine’s USSR conversation, and stand on it to reach the top box. It’s always lighter than I expect.

The label is simple, and clearly printed, as if on a computer. ‘24/03/18. ?’

I take the lid off, and scrabble around inside, searching for anything to grab onto. Deep, cavernous spaces somehow fit inside this box, and I’m scared I’ve missed something - every corner seems sharp and uninviting, but I force myself to feel every part. I can’t see anything. I can’t feel anything. The box is empty, as it always is. 

What have I forgotten?

Sammy told me about the day that box is from. I was walking home from work, she says, and I got hit by a car. I was rushed to the hospital, completely unconscious, and she says I was clinically dead for a few seconds - no heart rate, no breathing, no response - and that it was CPR that saved me. Thank god for the NHS, hey? 

Somewhere, deep down, I know that’s not what happened.

I know this library better than the back of my hand. Every memory, every fact, everything is stored here. I read about these libraries when I was seventeen, ‘mind palaces’ the book called them, and here I am now. Often I add a new shelf, a new box, pictures, facts, files - sorted neatly into rows and rows and rows of information. Sometimes, something doesn’t quite fit, and it ends up here, in miscellaneous. But never, never, never have I had an empty box. Not when I went under for surgery, not when I had my boys, never. I understand what happened to me, I can file it. 

Why is the box empty?

Sammy says it’s because I was clinically dead. My memory must have restarted, lost a chunk, something like that. Dan - ever the conspiracy theorist - says I was abducted by aliens. 

I turn around and step out of the door. The box will be back where it was next time I’m here, like it always is. I tried to burn it once, but it was like trying to burn wet wood. Nothing happened. The library is still here, still intact, the aisles stretching into the distance and the sun as warm as before - but something feels missing. Three months ago, the box appeared. That was two months after the accident. Why then? What am I trying to tell myself? What is supposed to go in that box? 

I close my eyes, and shut the doors of the library.

April 25, 2021 13:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Jade Young
11:06 May 02, 2021

Omigosh Helen your descriptions are soooo good❤ it was almost as if I could feel the warmth and the smell the pages of the books. I loved how the mystery of the box adds a sort of supernatural element to your story. The fact that you leave no proper explanation to the box; it emphasises the MS's own confusion about it after losing their memory. This was well written and I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end🥰

Reply

Helen Ross
15:15 May 02, 2021

thank you so much! high praise because I love your stories ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Svara Narasiah
06:26 Apr 26, 2021

4/5 stars :) This drew me in right from the beginning. A mysterious library, what can be better? The writing style is good, the descriptions amazing. A flashback would’ve been nice somewhere, to give a bit of dialogue and action to keep that spark going. If this hasn’t been approved yet and you edit it, I’d love to read it again! Overall I love this story. Good job 🙃

Reply

Helen Ross
06:32 Apr 26, 2021

thank you so much! I really struggle with making dialogue sound natural, it's something I'll try and include in my next one!

Reply

Svara Narasiah
06:35 Apr 26, 2021

I used to struggle with it too, until I found this trick: Before you write out a conversation, visualize it. Picture the scene happening in your mind—how your characters move, what they do as they talk (twirling a lock of hair if they’re nervous, etc) and then just copy it down once you’ve imagined it. Just something I thought I’d share, it really helps me :)

Reply

Helen Ross
14:20 Apr 28, 2021

I've put the teeniest, tiniest bit of dialogue in my new story haha I had to keep my promise!

Reply

Svara Narasiah
15:31 Apr 28, 2021

Hehe! I’m gonna go read it now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ryan LmColli
14:19 May 11, 2021

Great story: Pls join this link... https://www.guilded.gg/i/6pR8goy2

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cianna Fahmy
04:14 May 04, 2021

I love the imagination that was put into this story although it was a quick ending you should have added a little more spark about the accident and what happened overall great story:)

Reply

Helen Ross
13:48 May 04, 2021

thank you for the feedback! I wanted to leave it a bit vague although I see how it feels a bit rushed, I'll see how I would reword it if I changed it <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
03:33 May 04, 2021

Wow! I love your take on the prompt. Superb imagery too! Am I correct in that the library is in the protagonist's mind? If so, it reminds me of Sherlock. :) The connection with the empty box and the missing memories is fantastic.

Reply

Helen Ross
13:49 May 04, 2021

yes it is a mind palace thing, 100% inspired by sherlock! those scenes have always fascinated me because I have aphantasia, I can't see things in my mind, so it seems absolutely incredible to be able to! thank you for you kind words x

Reply

Kate Winchester
14:45 May 04, 2021

That’s fascinating! I can see things in my mind but not on a mind palace level. 😂 I love Sherlock.

Reply

Helen Ross
15:30 May 04, 2021

it's such a good show!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen Ross
13:50 May 04, 2021

also I'm so in awe of people who link up stories across multiple prompts, idk how you do it but I love your responses to the prompts!

Reply

Kate Winchester
14:26 May 04, 2021

Thank you! 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.