35 comments

Inspirational Contemporary Fiction

The train grinds to a halt midway between stations and you look out the window onto a freeway that better resembles a car park. It is as if the entire world has been forced to a stand-still. All about you, in the cramped carriage, there are chaotic bubbles of conversation and exclamations of dismay, and your heart staggers within your chest. You really should have taken the earlier train, you’re going to be late.

You check your watch for the time, then cross check that against your mobile phone. Late. The minutes are ticking closer and closer to ten, and your interview time is ten-fifteen. You drum your fingers in agitation against your thigh, tapping a rhythm of urgency there, that is echoed by your foot as it hammers the counterpoint with your heel.

You check your phone again. Only a minute has passed, the train is still stationary, and now the woman across from you seems to be having a panic attack. Her face is pale and her breathing shallow, while her wild eyes glance from one closed door to the next. Neither door will open. There is no way off this train, and from the look of terror on her face, she knows it. Her terror sparks your own and you begin to feel as if there is not enough air to share.

“What’s going on?” The wild-eyed woman gasps into what has become concerned silence. No one, it seems, has an answer and everyone is just as confused as you are, well almost everyone. The kid in the dark hoodie towards the back is just resting his head against the window, eyes closed and earbuds in, nodding to the music. His body is relaxed and you can hear him humming and quietly beat boxing under his breath. You wonder absently what he is listening to that keeps him so engrossed that he is not part of the collective concern.

Before you can reach panic levels that are elevated past your personal threshold of tolerance, the carriage jolts into motion again, and everyone heaves a sigh. Relieved conversation fills the silence along with what can only be considered hysterical laughter from the wild-eyed woman as she verbally and voluminously expresses her relief. You continue to tap your heel and drum your fingers against the edge of your phone as you eyeball the minutes ticking down. You mentally calculate that if you can reach the station in the next five minutes, you will probably have just enough time to get to the interview… maybe, but it will be a rush.

The train finally pulls into the underground station and you push urgently to the front of the crowd.

“Excuse me,” you mutter. “I have a job interview.” Some people are kind and step back so you can weave to the front of the queue, but most blindly ignore you. As the doors open, you burst through them along with the suddenly released sea of humanity, and ducking and weaving, you dodge breathlessly through the crowd towards the escalator. Once on board, there is no space to move and you are corralled into position by the throng of people. So much for Covid protocols, you think to yourself as you are pressed against a middle-aged man by the mass of people behind. There is no social distancing when everyone is in a hurry.

At the top of the escalator, you vaguely register a busker plying his trade before those who are commuting today, but you have no time for street performers as you hot-foot it towards the Tranby Building. You dodge through oncoming traffic, barely missing the fender of a taxi as it honks its horn at you, which you ignore. Once back on the walkway, you blunder through a group of older slow moving persons, throwing a half-formed apology and wave over your shoulder as you barge past them.

Finally, you arrive breathless and flustered in the foyer of the Tranby Building. Glancing at your watch, you are relieved to note that you still have three minutes to spare. You punch the call button for the lift repeatedly, hoping that the pounding will translate your urgency to the machine, thus ensuring that the lift arrives swiftly.

It doesn’t.

You contemplate the stairs, it’s only four floors up, but just as you dither between going for the stairwell and staying, the lift dings open. Thank God, you think with relief.

In the small elevator space, you try desperately to repair the damage your mad rush has done to your image. You comb your fingers through your hair, and straighten your shirt and jacket, before flapping your hands vigorously before your cheeks in an attempt to fan them and cool down. You are hot and flustered, not the best look to have, but at least you are not late.

Well, not late, according to your watch. The raised eyebrows and prune lips of the woman sitting at the desk as you enter the suite indicate otherwise.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” you begin in a rush. “There was an issue with the train.”

The woman raises her brow even further, as if she had heard that excuse before and thought as little of it then as she does now. You writhe with discomfort under her glare. She obviously belongs to your grandfather’s school of thought, that if you are not fifteen minutes early, then you are late.

“Mr Carstairs is waiting. Please follow me,” she says in a monotone that is far from impressed.

And so it begins, the interview from hell, that starts badly and only gets worse. Mr Carstairs reads over your resume as if he has never seen it before. Not a good feeling. Surely something in your file should stand out. Perhaps the years working for SWP as a consultant, the three years working in London for Wetherby, Wetherby and Smyth updating their online presence and organising their systems. Wetherby senior had even written a glowing letter of recommendation before he had passed away last year. Your file should be memorable at least.

“So, tell me, what experience have you had in the industry recently?” he asks.

Recently? Now here is the catch, you think. How recently does he mean? This week, this month? The last time you were employed was nearly two years ago. Since then you’ve waited tables and watched an old man die. You cringe as that thought flits through your mind. It’s not fair to call your grandfather an old man, but it was true. Although you know that death comes to us all eventually, the cancer turned your Gramps suddenly from a sprightly seventy-year-old to a husk of a man who needed twenty-four-hour care. His death set you free, but it feels more like it cut you loose and cast you adrift with no anchor in a sea where nobody cares.

At the end of the interview, you shake hands with Mr Carstairs, say goodbye to the prune faced lady at the front desk and, unthinkingly, lost in your own misery, step out of the building directly into the path of an oncoming bus.


***


The train grinds to a halt midway between stations and you look out the window onto a freeway that better resembles a car park. It is as if the entire world has been forced to a stand-still. All about you, in the cramped carriage, there are chaotic bubbles of conversation and exclamations of dismay, and your heart staggers within your chest. You really should have taken the earlier train, you’re going to be late.

You check your watch for the time, then cross check that against your mobile phone. Late. The minutes are ticking closer and closer to ten, and your interview time is ten-fifteen. You drum your fingers in agitation against your thigh, tapping a rhythm of urgency there, that is echoed by your foot as it hammers the counterpoint with your heel. Making a decision, you pull up the contact details for the interview and call.

“Good morning, you’ve reached Carstairs and Associates. How May I help you?” The woman’s voice on the other end is a monotone of efficiency, and you quickly introduce yourself.

“I have an interview at ten-fifteen today, and unfortunately, the train that I am on has broken down. I will not be able to make that appointment.” You inform her quickly.

“Thank you for letting us know.”

That is it, you have blown your job opportunity; you sigh as you disconnect the call. Well, from the sound of the receptionist, it wouldn’t have been a place that you would want to work, almost as if it would suck the life out of you, and you’ve had enough of that over the past two years. With your Gramps being sick and finally succumbing to cancer, you need somewhere to work that is life affirming, not absorbing.

You look up from your phone; the train is still stationary, and now the woman across from you seems to be having a panic attack. Her face is pale and her breathing shallow while her wild eyes glance from closed door to closed door. Neither door will open. There is no way off this train, and from the look of terror on her face, she knows it. Her terror sparks your own. Enclosed spaces always get to you, but before you can give in to panic, you catch her eye and smile. “I’m sure it will be fine,” you tell her and the wobbling confidence in your voice seems to settle her.

“What’s going on?” The woman asks, taking deep steadying breaths, her eyes not leaving your face, as if you are the only rock she can cling to in the ocean of fear. You shrug and shake your head, you’ve no idea what is happening, and no one else seems to have an answer either. Everyone is just as confused as you are, well, almost everyone. The kid in the dark hoodie towards the back is just resting his head against the window, eyes closed and earbuds in, nodding to the music. His body is relaxed and you can hear him humming and quietly beat boxing under his breath. To distract the lady, you tilt your head towards him and ask, “I wonder what he is listening to?” You both listen intently to the soft unconscious hums and vocal drumming sounds he is making under his breath. Neither of you can work it out, but his vocal stylings are amusing, slightly off key, and so unaware of anything surrounding him, that you can’t help but smile.

Suddenly, the carriage jolts into motion again, and everyone heaves a sigh. Relieved conversation fills the silence and you and the lady share a smile. The train finally pulls into the underground station and you stand back to let the other commuters off. The boy in the hoodie steps past you, still nodding and mumbling along with his music.

“Good song?” You ask him.

He nods, “Marvin Gaye.”

“Ahh,” you say and suddenly the vocal mumbles and hums you heard make sense. “What’s Going On?”

“Yep!” He smiles. A sense of shared understanding passes between you both, as if in this crazy universe, there is another person who just gets you.

At the top of the escalator, you hear the sound of a violin being played. The notes ring out in joyful phrases, landing on top of each other in playful melodies that bounce and trip and swirl, echoing in the cavernous entrance of the station. It entrances you and you slow to a stop, while the swirl of humanity parts to flow around you. Someone bumps into you. It’s the boy in the hoodie. He glances up to apologise and you point to the street performer. The boy takes his earbuds out and turns to watch the solo violinist caress and dance with his instrument.

The song finishes and the violinist instantly begins the next one, a slower, more mournful tune that somehow speaks words into your heart. Words of sorrow, and loss and pain. Your eyes fill, and your heart swells. The boy next to you is fixed motionless by the music. Together, you share the moment, as if you both see the same story. The last mournful note rises to the station roof as a tear slides down your face. The man on the violin looks up at you and he smiles as he leads into a new song. This one twists your heart with joy, an Ave Maria, played with a tremulous passion that you have never known. The controlled vibrato ripples through you, every nerve ending shivers, lighting a fire in your soul.

There are three people in this moment, the man, the boy and you. Hundreds of people walk by, too busy rushing to the next moment, but right now, you share this incredible blending of one soul with another. It’s like you can’t breathe or move, you can only be. Transcended into something more and as the last note trails off, you are released.

You reach into your pocket. Is there any change there? Whatever is in your pocket, it is not enough, so you walk up to the man with his violin, look him in the eye and say, “Thank you.”

April 30, 2023 08:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Chris Campbell
06:58 May 04, 2023

Michelle, A wonderful message that screams, "Sometimes, you have to stop and smell the roses." I had to laugh at the first scenario of your MC pushing her way to the train's door, saying, "Excuse me, I have a job interview.” The arrogance she displayed demonstrated a frame of mind that her time held more importance over anyone else in that stuffy and crowded carriage. That, sadly, is the cold and callous mentality of big city life. I used to be part of that throng and have experienced the stress of trains running late - delaying my day. ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
10:30 May 04, 2023

Thanks for reading. Wouldn’t it be good if we could all just take time for the beautiful things in life, stop the rat race and just connect with the moment.

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:23 May 05, 2023

Yes, it would. The "What's Going On" album was one of the first albums I bought. It's still great music.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:46 May 03, 2023

Great take on the prompt. Definitely a tiny difference - just a phone call - and everything changes. The two halves also have a completely different mindset to them, don't they? In the first, the narrator is stuck in their own head. It's fraught with worry, with rushing, with meeting expectations. There's hope in it, and a suspicion the hope is foolish, but we cling to it anyway and go through the motions. And crucially, ever-distracted, we get hit by a bus. In the second, we accept the job's not happening and let go of it. We stop frett...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:19 May 03, 2023

Thanks Michal, that is exactly what I was going for. Just take time to be aware of what’s going on, and stop ignoring the present while focusing on the future. (Funny how your story was focussing on the future is week.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
06:44 May 15, 2023

Congrats. I am still wondering how you guys know how to start this prompt. I lingered on it for minutes without any idea forming in my head and I had to run.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:46 May 15, 2023

Thanks for reading it. I love to imagine all the possibilities in any given situation. This prompt allowed me to explore multiple outcomes.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
19:22 May 17, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shana Fox
02:46 May 10, 2023

Amazing story, Michelle. The moments of gentle interconnectedness in the second half are beautiful. I started to tear. Great job.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:48 May 10, 2023

Thanks, wouldn’t it be a wonderful world if we could all appreciate each moment instead of blindly running from one thing to another?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ada Nickell
00:00 May 09, 2023

This is a wonderful piece of writing! I was entranced while reading it. I like how you just mentioned the boy in the first half, and then made him a bigger part in the second. It brought an element of surprise, where you would go, "hey, that's the same boy!" You delivered the tale with such amazing detail, and the usage of second person is a nice change from the plethora of third and first person. It makes it more unique like that. I love your story and I can tell from your submission count and the way you describe and tell the tale that y...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:25 May 09, 2023

Thank you for reading this one and also for your words of encouragement and support. I am quite humbled that people enjoy my stories enough to leave a comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
05:36 May 07, 2023

Rushing about like headless chickens brings precious little, but when we're the one with the eyes on the clock, elbowing our way to the front of the crowd, it's often hard to see that. You captured perfectly at the interview how awful every part of the MC's experience was from prune lady ( great economical description) and the disappointing resume and thus interviewer. She has had a valuable experience in caring for her Gramps, yet the cutthroat business world doesn't recognise it. Heartbreaking because it's so often true. And because of thi...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
06:33 May 07, 2023

Thanks Rebecca. Sometimes we let madness of chasing our tails each day, trying to push forward endlessly, stop us from really being present in the moment. It’s not the big things in life that we need to change, but the little things, our own mindset, if you will, and that small change can make a big difference. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
21:45 May 04, 2023

I enjoyed this read. I felt the urgency of the MC in the first half trying to make it to work on time and being so caught up in her own world she misses what could have made her day so much better. Mirroring elements of what you have already written for the second perspective takes time and concentration so you did well there!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:33 May 04, 2023

Thanks Lisa. I always think that life happens too fast, and I am guilt of contributing to the rat race, but what if we could just slow down and actually appreciate the moments of connection instead of disconnecting and isolating ourselves from each other.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yeisha Lee
20:48 May 02, 2023

This is such a beautiful tale answering the "what if?" question that I think everyone has asked themselves in one moment in time or the other. What if she just stopped to breathe, what if we stop rushing and slow down, so many things can happen in the what if?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:23 May 02, 2023

Thanks for reading, yes definitely a what if… take time for the beauty around you, connect with others rather than ignoring them. Glad you like the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
12:30 May 01, 2023

Michelle, you surely captured the essence of the prompt. Once you lay out the initial story the following one is awesome since the violinist demonstrates that young or old can relate to the violinist's story because the human story is one of similar experiences despite timelines. Not too unusual that human experience would transcend time barriers as humans are humans regardless of where they live. So the idea/concept was well received if I got it correct? Here's hoping I did. LF6

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:44 May 01, 2023

Thanks Lily. You’ve got it. I am glad that you enjoyed it and could relate to the idea of making connections with others and actually taking the time to pay attention to what’s going on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:13 May 01, 2023

Man, Michelle, this story was definitely well-written. Did the ‘narrator’ at the end of the first part die getting hit by the bus? Last year my brother was run over by a truck. *urgh* A lot of this story I can relate to actually — my grandfather passed recently, I play the violin… Enjoying read. :D

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:08 May 01, 2023

Thanks for your response Lilah, and I send my condolences on the passing of your grandfather. As far as what happened to the MC, that is up to you as a reader to decide… what makes sense to you. I was channeling an Australian duo called Bachelor Girl who had a hit in the 90’s called Busses and Trains, a song about how life just keeps hitting you again and again. So did the MC die? Well I don’t know. Was it a literal bus? Maybe, maybe not. Anyway I am glad you can relate to the story.

Reply

Irene Duchess
19:49 May 01, 2023

Thanks. That year wasn’t fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:17 Apr 30, 2023

Masterful! You, of course, picked the most intimidating prompt and gave it life and deep meaning. There is always a different way to handle stressful situations with more grace and compassion. When I first read the phrase 'All about you', I mistook it meant her thoughts were 'all about her' which they were in the first scenario that turned out tragic for her. The second time I realized it meant the scene happening 'all around her' was chaotic but her attitude had shifted and she salvaged what was leading to a disaster into being uplifting e...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:37 Apr 30, 2023

Thank you Mary. I was trying for something different, to write a story about an idea, rather than my usual character story. I am so glad that the idea came through to the reader, that your perspective changes your world. Taking the time to be present changes what you see and how you react. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:37 Apr 30, 2023

The 2nd-person POV parts were handled deftly; a neat trick, Michelle. You took on an intimidating POV and it came out beautifully. This tale was an effortless read, and I know what that means: hard work by the author. The "sliding doors" structure is one I won't tackle. It's difficult to make a story flow and have meaning beyond the superficial. Yes, you did it quite well. A masterful write, in fact. I'm struck by the classic "stop and smell the roses" theme. The chase for money versus quality of life. You showed this so well and so poigna...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:46 Apr 30, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and give such great feedback. I’m glad the pov worked for you, it’s a tricky one and I wondered whether or not to use it, but I wanted the meaning of the story to be very immediate and personal to the reader.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:10 Jul 19, 2023

I'm not sure if I've missed a story. Fingers crossed 🤞 I haven't. WOW. I just can't say any more. That. Was. AMAZING.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:17 Jul 19, 2023

Thanks for reading it. I can’t believe that you have read my whole catalog of stories. I am very humbled and appreciative of your support.

Reply

09:22 Jul 19, 2023

In case you've noticed that I haven't liked any other stories before this, it's not because I don't *like* them. I just liked them all on my other account, and double likes for one person is just not fair. 😁

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:24 Jul 19, 2023

Totally understandable. I did notice that you have two profiles.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
07:18 May 11, 2023

I love how you did this, writing the same scenario but branching out in two different directions based on a tiny decision. Your descriptions are great too, the way you showed the way that sense of panic can quickly spread through a crowd, felt a bit claustrophobic myself reading about the train trip and departure through the station. -Well, from the sound of the receptionist, it wouldn’t have been a place that you would want to work, almost as if it would suck the life out of you, and you’ve had enough of that over the past two years. - I...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
01:36 May 11, 2023

Hi Michelle! Oh my goodness!! The first thing that I want to touch base on is the fact that the story had two very clear parts but I think that it’s beautiful you chose to end it on a happy ending because when I read the first ending I was absolutely shocked and needed a moment before I could dive into the other scenario. I sincerely hope that for this character, their opportunity was not blown and they have found a home at this new firm. I think we’ve all been there, worried that we might never be able to seek the employment that we want to...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rama Shaar
16:39 May 10, 2023

Aaah, great story. Yes, we should all learn to let go of control and let life happen. Makes me wonder how many such moments I've missed in my hectic rushing.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:01 May 10, 2023

Rushing is the curse of the modern world. So much is missed as we bustle from place to place. What if we could all just slow down? What a life we would have, to be present and enjoy the journey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.