78 comments

Contemporary Romance LGBTQ+

In exactly seven minutes, Myron will jog past my backyard, only to find me standing there, tending to the garden like I always do except for every other day.


He will look through me in a way that he looks through everyone, and he will brush the hair from his eyes.


Then he will look at me with his unremarkable brown eyes.


He will remember that night, when we were drunk and stupid, where all the lights had rained down on us and the world felt smaller and more in focus.


He will remember that he had pulled me closer that night, that he had run his sweaty hands over my body in a small corner away from the noise, and he had kissed me, even though he had promised me that he was not attracted to men.


He will remember how he had run after the night, jumping out the window, looking back at me with a broken heart spilt on his face.


He will remember how we never saw each other again because he never wanted to look his feelings in the eye.


He will remember it all when he looks at me.


I pull at the weeds in the garden, and push my shovel, doing hardcore gardening while one eye is on the sidewalk next to my house.


I had come back only a few days ago, and my evenings by the window had been rewarded by a glance at that secret lover of mine.


Ten years may have been long enough for him to forget me, but it had been the only thing keeping me awake at night, imagining his body in the body of the girl next to me.


Just like Myron, all the girls did eventually leave, some stealthily and some with a kiss on my cheek, their body smelling of my cologne.


This time, no one would leave. I would make sure of it.


The world could run on its axis until eternity for all I care, but no one would leave.


Five minutes left.


My knees suddenly begin to shake, and the thoughts in my head all vanish, having been overtaken by one dominant one.


Footfall.


Early by five minutes.


I plunge my shovel into the soil at the exact moment he passes by me.


I can’t help but devour the sight of him, his hair tied back with a small rubber band, still leaving huge blocks falling on his eyes, his body having a sheen of sweat, not too different from that night.


He jogs past me, not even looking at the young gardener standing there with his mouth slightly open.


When he is a good few metres away, I finally regain my ability to speak, and decide to call out to him.


“Excuse me!”


He doesn’t stop, his body slowly becoming smaller and smaller in my line of sight. I take in a deep breath.


“Excuse me!”


This time he hears me, as I jog towards him. He stands there, lightly panting and running a hand through his wet hair that has come out of the rubber band.


He tilts his head as I come closer and stop at a respectable distance.


A bead of sweat runs down his forehead, and I want to reach out and brush it away.


I clench my fists and force out a smile, the muscles in my cheeks tugging with difficulty.


“Hey, Myron.”


His eyes widen at my use of his name. I hope he doesn’t notice how much joy it gives me to roll those two syllables from my tongue for the first time in a long time.


“How do you know my name?” he asks, and I hope he doesn’t hear the clean crack of my heart breaking into two.


“I – we used to go to high school together. Remember?” I say, and he shakes his head, those maddening strands of hair framing his face.


I want to remind him, right here and right now.


I want to touch him, and I want him to moan with acceptance and arch his body towards mine.


Instead, I resort to just giving him another one of my tight smiles.


“We should hang out sometime,” I say, in a way that a long-lost friend would say to another.


He gives me an easy smile, and I wonder how he does it. Maybe if I spent time with him, in a few days my smile would come as effortlessly as his does.


I don’t say that out loud, and just walk away from him, crossing my fingers and hoping that he calls me back.


The memories of that night still swirl around my mind.


We drank too much and watched in wonder as the lights fell on us.


We giggled with our bodies leaning on each other as the lights swirled and spun.


When can we have that night again?


“Hey, listen, bro,” he says, and I hope my wide smile doesn’t scare him off as I turn around, waiting.


“I didn’t catch your name,” he says.


“I’m Felix,” I say, and my heart picks up pace at the thought of my name coming out from his lips.


“Felix,” he enunciates, almost as if his vocal cords are picking up my name and storing it for the best occasion.


I don’t know whether it is because my name struck as familiar, whether he remembers that night or whether he is just intrigued, but this time when I turn to go back, he follows me, his steps at an irregular rhythm, matching the train of his thoughts.


He soon catches up to me, and my hand reaches out to his, stopping midair and returning to my side.


My feet touch the freshly dug soil, and I make a mental note to return it to its original state after, well, after whatever is meant to happen happens.


The door swings open with a kick of my foot, and I enter, Myron following me without waiting for an invitation.


He sits at the chair with the shaky leg, creaking it back and front as a child would.


I want to offer him coffee, but I decide against it as I pull a chair closer to his.


“Do you remember me?” I whisper, and he shakes his head, his Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat.


I hear his breath hitch when I move even closer, placing a hand on his knee.


“What are you doing? Get away from me,” he protests with almost no strength in his voice.


My hand is at his cheek as I stroke under his eye with my thumb, and he closes his eyes, leaning against my hand.


His eyes open and he gets up with a jerk, murmuring under his breath.


“I didn’t catch that,” I say, getting up.


“I said that I have a wife,” he says, almost as if he is testing whether I will take that fact into consideration at all.


My heart sinks to my feet.


I back off, my hands raised in surrender.


His mouth pulls down to a frown, as he stands there in deep thought.


Setting his jaw, he comes to a decision.


I wait.


“I know that you don’t remember me, but I really want you to. I want to feel like we felt that night, even if it is only for tonight. I understand that you have a wife, and you shouldn’t feel like I’m forcing you to. The way I felt that night, I had never felt anything like it before, and I didn’t feel it ever again. I want to feel like that again, Myron, please,” I beg.


His eyes light up in recognition as he pulls me by my collar.


“Felix,” he whispers reverently, and I want him to say it again and again.


“Only this one time,” he says and kisses me, his mouth promising that this was only the beginning.


His lips are surer than that night at the party.


I push away the images of all the girls before me, all the people whose lips were moulded into his, not unlike mine.


He pulls me closer, almost trying to convince me that I was different from all of those before me and that no one would measure up to me.


Somehow, he pushes me into the bedroom of my house, and we fall on the bed in unison, his hands roaming under my shirt, his lips soon following as I arch back, my body surrendering to his with pleasure.


This time, he leaves through the door, his body aching more than it had in years.


I lie there, my cheeks sticky with tears, as I engulf myself in his scent, the bedsheets wrapped around me.


I know that he will go home today and kiss his wife with my mark still on his swollen lips.


I know that his wife will moan louder tonight as he pushes harder, trying to get me out of his head.


I know that in a few days, he will come outside my house, wanting more.


He will kick open the door like I did, and he will enter a place with my presence lying all over it.


He will enter that bedroom where we were young again, and he will lie on the sheets, smelling me and trying to bring me back.


Maybe he will cry too.


He will remember that night, that night when the lights rained on us, and that night when we didn’t care about the world and only wanted each other.

February 16, 2021 05:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

78 comments

Radhika Diksha
06:38 Feb 16, 2021

Hi, Actually I don't know what to call you. Coming to the story, nowadays you write stories more personal and more surreal. The beginning of the story was awesome, I loved the thirst of Felix for Myron's love. The starting paras were really smooth and beautiful. But when you started their face to face conversations and their intimate scenes. I felt it a bit awkward. I felt you kinda rushed it too fast. Like in one second he denies and in another, he's jumping on the bed. ANd coming to the bed. If Myron remembers the night then how come the ...

Reply

Writer Maniac
07:20 Feb 16, 2021

You can call me Mania if you like. Thank you so much for seeing some improvement in my stories, that is the main aim after all so I'm glad that I'm getting better :) Coming to the remembering part, at first, he doesn't remember the night at all and when he is touched by Felix, he soon remembers that feeling and that night, so it does fit with the prompt. And about Myron, he does consider leaving and going home to his wife but decides against it when he remembers that feeling and the time he had spent with Felix, so that's why there is a rush...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:17 Feb 16, 2021

I knew you would explain but I think you must slow down a bit. Because the story took off in between like a Ferrari which bumped me.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:27 Feb 16, 2021

😂😂 I understand

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:41 Feb 16, 2021

Nothing just add some more details and emotional context.

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:53 Feb 16, 2021

Will take into consideration :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
07:21 Feb 16, 2021

And also, I would appreciate some feedback on the story before this, 'Pretty Cool'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
15:34 Feb 17, 2021

I have also posted another story today, would love your feedback :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:35 Feb 17, 2021

Sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Jeffrey Pope
16:44 Mar 03, 2021

Why do I always get this terrible feeling when I read a LBGTQ fiction?

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:19 Mar 03, 2021

😂😂 It seems to be a recurring theme

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
03:07 Feb 26, 2021

This was amazing-I don't usually read these types or usually like them but this one was great! :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:09 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! My other recommendation might be more suited for you :)

Reply

Eva Bhalla
03:11 Feb 26, 2021

I am about to read it-can't wait. :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:12 Feb 26, 2021

:)

Reply

Eva Bhalla
03:18 Feb 26, 2021

Hey Mania, so sorry I couldn't find the story and I need sleep for tomorrow. I promise I will look again tomorrow. Again, so so sorry!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:19 Feb 26, 2021

Here you go: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/74/submissions/47533/

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Siobhan Mulalley
07:42 Feb 24, 2021

Another powerful story. Sad in a way, although we don’t know exactly why they both wound up with women rather than men. However, it was well written and well crafted. I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Writer Maniac
07:46 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I feel like they just settled with what they got, even though they wanted more. I would appreciate your feedback on two stories of mine called 'Not Worth It' and 'Still Have Each Other' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:22 Feb 22, 2021

It was beautiful! You described the feelings so perfectly. And of course, I LOVED it. <3

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:36 Feb 22, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you liked it! I would love some feedback on 'Still Have Each Other' if you're up for that :)

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:44 Feb 22, 2021

haha. sure!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:46 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Amel Parvez
16:02 Feb 22, 2021

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Durnin
15:21 Feb 22, 2021

I read this a while ago when I didn’t have time to comment, but I read it again and now I finally have time. I have yet to figure out how you do it, but the people in your stories are just so... human? They’re motives are so clear, so defined, as are their emotions. In this one, this is especially true. It’s the shady bits of humanity at their rawest, and I... I’m floored, frankly. Excellently done.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:38 Feb 22, 2021

Thank you so much, that's so kind of you to say! I try my best at this writing thing, so I'm glad to see that it is as honest as I want it to be :) I would love some feedback on 'Still Have Each Other', the first story I've ever written in the second perspective, if you have the time right now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
02:57 Feb 22, 2021

Great work! I felt the love between the two. Shame Myron is married!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:27 Feb 22, 2021

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
03:35 Feb 22, 2021

I would love some feedback on my story called 'Not Worth It' if you're up for that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Aveena Bordeaux
18:22 Feb 16, 2021

This was absolutely beautiful, Mania. A good mix of engaging conflict and skillfully woven backstory. I love stories that make me feel something and this did just that. Barely any critique - 2nd and 3rd paragraphs use "look" and "eyes" often and it can sound repetitive. When used at the right time, repetition can turn prose poetic and lyrical and give you a stronger narrative. If it was intentional, then ignore this bit :) Allow me to applaud you on the smooth transition from future tense to present. Impressive. Loved this piece!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:12 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the comment and critique! I'll reread the paragraph you have directed me to and see what I can do there, thanks once again! If you would like to read any more of my stories, I would appreciate some feedback on 'Not Worth It', 'Game Over', 'An Unfortunate Series of Events' and 'A Good Day', if these don't interest you, you can check out my bio for my favourite stories of mine :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sage Alden
18:02 Mar 10, 2021

Great story! I liked how you started in the future tense it made me feel like Felix was trying to convince himself that all of these things will happen. I'm not sure if it was intentional but the majority of your paragraphs started with 'he' or 'I'. They worked great but maybe you could switch some of the words to make it all feel less repetitive. However, saying that, the overall story was written well and I enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Writer Maniac
18:05 Mar 10, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I will definitely keep your feedback in mind, thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was a beautiful story. It made me feel how Felix feels. To me, this was beautifully written and I could feel the intensity between them when Myron remembered who he was. I loved it every step if the way.

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:47 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I really tried to feel all of it and put it on paper as authentic as I possibly could, so I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

You're very welcome... Your stories are great. Please, whatever you do, never stop writing...

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:42 Feb 18, 2021

I can promise you that I won't :) If you would like to check out any more of my stories, I would recommend 'Not Worth It' and 'An Unfortunate Series of Events' :)

Reply

I will definitely check those out. I like be your stories.

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:52 Feb 18, 2021

Thanks! You can check out my bio for more stories, or just ask me for my favourites out of my stories :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I don't have A N Y suggestions at all-I swear this is another level of writing. Keep going!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:23 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so much, that's really kind of you to say!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
02:24 Feb 18, 2021

Would love some feedback on 'Still Have Each Other' as well :)

Reply

I'm only being honest! I'm checking that story out right now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Echo Sundar
17:22 Feb 17, 2021

Wow. Great story! It was so sweet! I love the characters and how even though they had met before you gave a logical explanation about why he couldn't remember and then I love how even though he's married you find a way to all tie it together in the end and make it make perfect sense. Very fun read!

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:26 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked it! Would love to hear your thoughts on 'Still Have Each Other' :)

Reply

Echo Sundar
17:28 Feb 17, 2021

Sure!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eddie Thawne
13:35 Feb 17, 2021

Beautifully written! But I felt that Myron didn't remember Felix or anything they had together again. Like a stranger, sort of. And so it felt awkward, the way he agreed Immediately to his invite. But maybe it could be understandable if Myron had only been putting up a show. That is, he actually remembered Felix and was only pretending not to? Either way, I think the story was well crafted. Great Job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:00 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback! At first, Myron definitely didn't remember him, but when he was touched by Felix, we can imagine that the memory of that night came back to him. I got a similar comment from another writer, so I'll see what I can do to make it less awkward. Thanks again!

Reply

Eddie Thawne
16:10 Feb 17, 2021

Ok. You're Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A P
14:53 Mar 26, 2021

I cried... This story got my heart throbbing on literal notes!

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:54 Mar 26, 2021

Aww thank you! I would love to hear your thoughts on 'Game Over' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R. B. Leyland
08:13 Mar 21, 2021

Tut tut Mania, making a man cheat on his wife at home 😂 I think maybe him remembering could possibly have come from an earlier comment, rather than AFTER he'd been touched? If someone tried to touch me like that who I didn't know (man or woman) I reckon I'd of run of mile ha. Great story though, loved the intensity of it all!

Reply

Writer Maniac
08:21 Mar 21, 2021

😂😂😂 I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Mania! I really enjoyed this romantic story! Super sweet and really beautifully developed! Great work!

Reply

Writer Maniac
01:51 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:44 May 31, 2022

How I Got My Ex Husband Back.. Am so excited to share my testimony of a real spell caster who brought my husband back to me. My husband and I have been married for about 5 years now. We were happily married with three kids, two boys and a girl. Four months ago, I started to notice some strange behaviour from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cares about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn’t even come back home for about 3-4 days. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.