0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

John a thirty nine year old man always cataloged everything he did in life. After a while John got into a routine. Happy with everything the way his life is going everything in it’s place. A good routine every day the same thing nothing out of place. John’s alarm goes off at eight am he gets up, goes to shower everything in the shower. Is in it’s own place towel hung on the bathroom door.

Wash cloth hung on a rack in the shower body wash and shampoo. Put in alphabetical order everything in order. His clothes in the closet and dresser are placed in order by color. After showering he goes to get dressed his routine for that is dressing from bottom to top. No different always the same when dressed he goes to eat.

Everything in the kitchen is like his bedroom and shower. Foods are put in alphabetical order his drinks are put in the fridge by color. When he takes a drink he replaces one. So the number stay the same in the fridge nothing out of order. If you can not tell John likes order.

On John’s way to work always the same thing he walks out of the door. Lock’s it from the out side. Leaving for work at nine fifteen on the dot no later no earlier. Walks down the steps from his apartment . Always in time to greet the neighbor on the way out. Though he does not stop for and word exchange other than good morning.

John is very meticulous about his routine out of the apartment building. Walking to work he always stops long enough to get a coffee. Same thing every day no change he always get a black coffee no cream four sugars. Grabs his coffee drops a tip in the jar say nothing to any one and leaves. John is the quiet type you do not get much of anything out of him. If you are lucky enough like his neighbor you get a hi or good morning.

On his way to work he always see the same stuff a guy on a bench feeding bird. Kids playing in the park unless it is winter. A man selling hot dogs on the corner as John passes him there is a news paper stand. Same thing always two men arguing at the news paper stand arguing. About the game last night but john did not know this day was going to be different.

So different that it will mess up everything for John when he arrives at work. He does everything the same way John goes to the eight tenth floor. In his corner office with windows all the way around. He never looks out the windows just sits down turns on his computer. Begins working after checking all the note’s from last night.

Arriving at work at ten in the morning it is a bright shinny day. Suddenly as the sky begin to go dark. John pays no attention to what is going on out side a coworker walks into his office. To give him a list of potential candidates for the job opening they have. Before the coworker can say anything she screams scaring the crap out of John.

Coworker: ( screaming.)

John: ( What!? What is wrong with you?)

The coworker stuttering can not form a sentence just points to the window. John turns around to the window only to see. A big gray and black ship hovering in the air above his city.

John: (What in the world is that?)

Coworker: ( I need to get home to my kids.)

John: ( No! Everything is the same we just have a ship hovering in the air . That is it besides the, twentieth floor has not told us we can leave.)

The coworker leaves in a huff mad at the fact there is a crises out side. And not being able to go to here kids. With in about twenty minutes of the coworker leaving his office. John’s office phone rings.

John: ( Hello.)

Man on phone : ( John this is the CEO we are shutting down the building. Sending everyone home till we can figure out, what is going on. With the ship out side.)

John: ( There is no reason to shut everything down. Just because of that.)

CEO: ( It is a crises outside. I am making the call for people to return home. You tell every one on your floor. I will be down to make sure you do.)

John: ( Yes sir.)

John hangs up the phone looking out the window seeing his daily routine. Going up in smoke not knowing how he will get his routine back. John send out a email to every one on his floor. Stating.

John’s Email: ( In accordance with the CEO of the company. I am sending out this email because of the current crises going on out side. Everyone is to head home till further notice. Thank you be safe in your travels.)

As John send out the email to every one ships begin to leave the mother ship. With out reading the email people see what is going on out side scream. Get up from their desk running for the door.John looks up to see what is going on turns to look out the window. Becomes nervous gets up runs to the door with every one else make it to the steps. Running down them passing people as he goes finally makes it to the first floor. Runs across the lobby out the front door looks up for a second.

John takes off running for home explosions going off every ten feet he gets. Ducking in and out of ally ways looking behind him as he goes. A ship lands long enough to drop off some alien life forms. Shoot off again to join in the fire fight of the city John can not believe what is happening. He gets within a block of his apartment a lady falls in front of him.

John stops for a second thinking over his options of either getting to safety. For a split second he thought about just running off. Instead he helps her not knowing who she is John brings her back to his apartment for safety. As they make to his apartment they walk up the stair. Slowly making their way to his apartment John opens the door. Helps her to his couch turns on the television to see what the news says.

News: ( There are space ships destroying the town. Aliens going into businesses catching people. Taking them back to there ship the ones fighting back. Are being shot with a laser gun and they leave nothing behind.)

John: ( What is going on this is crazy?)

Woman: ( what do you mean this is crazy? We have been sending ships to space. We have also been sending signals out there. Maybe just maybe they took it as we want a fight.)

John: ( Are you crazy? Why would we tell them we want a fight? Who are you any way?)

Lady: ( My name is Amanda. I work in a deep space Laboratory. I came here to visit my mother but she got taken. Standing right next to me.)

John: ( I am sorry about your mom. Do you have any idea why they are here?)

Amanda: ( They are here searching for some one.)

John: ( looking for some one? Who would they be looking for? If they are searching for one person why are they taking all these people then? )

Amanda: ( I intercepted a message from them saying they want one guy.)

John:( One guy. Who? Who is that important?)

Amanda: ( I am sitting right next to him.)

John: ( Me? What do they want me for?)

Amanda: ( They said they have been watching you for a long time. I did not believe it so I looked your name up. I seen your picture I read up on you. I new you stuck to a strict routine same thing every day. I new I could run into you to see why they wanted you so bad.)

John: ( So you seen me read about me. Why do they want me so bad?)

Amanda: ( The only reason I can come up with off the top of my head is. They way you stick to your schedule how strict you are about it.)

John: ( If that is the case? Then why all of this killing people?)

Amanda: ( They said if we did not respond by today they would take you by force.)

John gets up off the couch paces back and forth trying to wrap his head around. What Amanda just said not believing it wondering why they want him. Of all the people on earth why him Amanda watch’s him going back and forth. Looks over to the television see that the alien’s are entering a apartment. Looks back at John saying.

Amanda: ( John what apartment building is yours?)

John: ( Why?)

Amanda: ( Look at the television.)

John walks back over to the couch sits down looks at the television in disbelief. Knowing that is his apartment building with a look of shock on his face. He looks over to Amanda saying.

John: ( Well that is my building. They found me you stay here where you will be safe. I will go out to them so you wont get taken. Please watch over my stuff.)

Amanda: ( You do not have to. Make them come to you.)

John: ( If I am who the truly want and it stops this madness I will go.)

Amanda: ( Okay. Please stay safe. I will watch over your apartment. Plus I will make sure everyone will know what you did to stop this.)

John gets up off the couch heads to the door, Amanda jumps up goes to him giving him a kiss. John smiles Amanda smiles back at him he turns to open the door. Walks out locking it as the aliens reach his floor. The alien walk up to him with heavy foot steps. John turns to see them he see that the are not what the movies portray them to be.

They are not slimy no tentacles they are not gray or green not any color. The aliens are wearing a shinny metal suit with, a mask like a knight would wear for battle. With some of the suit in spaces on it is black cloth with big heavy boots. By the time John gets a picture of them .

The alien places its hand on his shoulder a bright light appears around the alien. Then John plus the alien disappear from the apartment building. Amanda opens the door to see nothing. Turns back to the television in John’s apartment to see. The alien ship rising up to leave. Back to where it came from Amanda just smiles with some tear’s rolling down her cheeks.

John is placed in a room on the ship for some reason not scared. A moment later a very large alien enters the room with John. The alien looks John up and down the says.

Alien: ( Your language is primitive. I have no trouble speaking it.)

John: ( Primitive. Well if our language is so primitive. Why do you want me for?)

John gets up from the seat he is in starting to walk around the room. The alien watching his every move. John is beginning to freak out but not showing it. Walks right up to the alien and says with attitude in his voice.

John: (  Well tell in our primitive language. What am I suppose to call you. And everyone else on this ship I want names.)

Alien: ( Well my name does not translate in to you language. So you can call me Chief.)

John: ( Well Chief. What do you want with me?)

Chief: ( I need you to return to my home planet with me. To learn our ways our customs. After that we need you to be our ambassador.)

John: ( Ambassador. Why me?)

Chief: ( Because how you are so strict with your daily routine. That to us is ambassador material and we need a ambassador.)

John: ( Why would I do that for you? After what you did to my planet. Give me one good reason why and I will do it.)

Chief: (What we did to you planet is just a taste. Of what other what you call aliens will do. To your planet and others see we need your help. Your planet needs your help.)

John: ( Leave me. Come back in twenty minutes I need to think this over. This is just to heavy to take lightly.)

Chief: (Okay.)

Chief walks out of the room John sits back in the chair looking out the window. To the space ship thinking over everything that Chief said to him. Wondering if he is the right man for the job. John is also trying to figure out what the benefits of what he is being asked to do. After twenty minutes of sitting there weighing the pro’s and con’s of this. The door slides open Chief walks in looks John dead in the eyes asking.

Chief: ( So have you came to a decision on this.)

John still siting looking out the window slowly turns the chair around. Looks at Chief looks down at the long table in front of him then looks back at Chief saying.

John: ( I have weighed every thing out.)

Chief: ( And? What is your decision?)

John: ( Before I answer. I want to know exactly what all I will be doing.)

Chief walks over sits down at the table looks across. The long black table with a golden design in it in the shape of scorpion. Beginning to detail the list of things John will be doing. Starting with going to other planets talking with the leaders. So there will not be any war telling John of the billions of galaxies. That he will go to telling him the chances of probably never seeing earth again. But the chances of John dying of old age is very slim.

Because they would put John under a few procedures. So that he will live as long as they do. Chief takes his helmet off to reveal his face. John is shocked at how similar they are to humans. Chief goes on to say that if he does become their ambassador.That John will have everything he could ever want and need.

The perks would be that John will be protected at all times. He will have his own ship John will be married to the Chief’s daughter. The moment they reach Chief’s home planet lastly John would be richer then any one on John’s home planet.

John: ( Well when you put it that way sure I will be your ambassador. But one question.)

Chief: ( Okay. What is your question?)

John: ( You think I am going to let you dance right by. Saying that I am going to be marrying your daughter. As soon as we get to your world with out asking. How do you know I am right for your daughter? Plus how do you know she is right for me?)

Chief goes on to say that they have been watching him for a while. His every move watched his daily routine they know everything about him. On there way to Chief’s planet everything about the chiefs daughter. Will be put into your mind during the procedures John will under go. So everything you need to know John you will know about my daughter.

Chief : ( So John do you want to become our Ambassador?)

John: ( Yes I would this is the most important thing I have ever done.)

As they take off through space John can not help but think about. Everything that lays a head of him and all of the things he is leaving behind. As he has to find a new routine out in the vast wide open reaches of space.       

April 28, 2021 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.