Contest #11 winner 🏆

77 comments

General

It’s a Monday morning and they’re cutting down the tree in the park by my house. It’s a sturdy oak, younger but taller than all the other trees around it. There was a storm last night, a storm worse than any in my memory. I guess the tree was struck by lightning. It’s split straight down the middle, the half farther from my view cleaved away, the half closer to my house still stretching towards the sun.

***

I met you when we were five years old. I was running around in the park by my house when I tripped and fell. My knee was scraped and hurt a lot, so I did what any sensible five-year-old would do in that situation. I sat there and cried.

I didn’t attract my dad’s attention as I had hoped -- he was off somewhere talking about sports or smoking a cigar or being an overall negligent parent with his dad friends -- but I got yours. Other people's pain made you curious. You wanted to understand their stories and commit them to memory. 

You helped me up and gave me Neosporin for my knee. You said your mom made you carry it around everywhere for emergencies. I sat next to the oak tree they planted the day before while you rubbed the medicine into my knee.

I wondered how that tree could be twice my size if it was only a day old.

***

You moved to my school in first grade, and for the next few years, everyone thought we were twin brothers. My features were light and yours were dark, but we acted like we knew each other from the womb. You and I were inseparable.

The oak tree grew with us as we got older. Most of the time we would do homework under it together. When we were done, you would tell me stories about imaginary worlds, lands of dragons and prophecies and magic. My mom would invite you in for dinner, and you would always say yes. You loved my mom’s lasagna and she made it at least once a week just for you.

***

I was in the sixth grade when my dad left. He just packed his bags and said he was going. It was almost a relief. There had been so much fighting between my parents for the past few years, and I just wanted it to be over. That doesn’t mean that when it happened I didn’t climb the oak tree as high as I dared and cry.

You found me up there late at night. My mom hadn’t bothered to come looking for me. But you and I were supposed to meet to study for the big math test the next day. I told you what had happened and you walked me to your house. Your mom made me chicken soup.

We both failed the test.

***

You wanted to be a writer. No, you were going to be a writer. You were going to be the next J.K. Rowling and have a fandom that spanned the earth. Maybe even beyond, if we discovered alien life by the time you were old enough to publish your books.

I said that I would be your advisor. I would help you proofread your books and set up book displays in Barnes and Noble and tell all the aliens how good your books were so they would read them. Your books would be so good they would make the aliens decide that the human race was worth sparing. You would get a Nobel Peace Prize and they would build statues in your honor. Maybe they would even name our park after you.

We would sit under the oak tree late evenings the summer before high school started and you would read me what you were writing. Your main character was so clever and always knew how to get out of traps. His sidekick followed him to the Earth’s end time and time again.

***

I was starting to notice things about you in ways that I had never noticed them before. Your hair was growing out a bit, and you would brush it out of your face subconsciously when you spoke. Your voice was getting deeper faster than mine, and I was jealous of that. Our hands were calloused from climbing the oak tree, but the callouses suited you. They just made my hands ugly.

I noticed when the girls started giving you looks in tenth grade. I tried to ignore the tightness I felt in my chest whenever you were talking to Lia from English class. She wanted to be a writer too. 

Soon the two of you started dating and suddenly you didn’t have as much time for me anymore.

***

Lia was one of the nicest people I had ever met. She was sweet, she was kind. She wasn’t nearly as bright as you, but that was a given. Still, I was suspicious of her. She always wanted me to tag along when you wanted to be alone with her. I would always catch her watching me out of the corner of her eye. I could tell that she wasn’t committed to you. She wanted me, and she was using you to get to me. I despised her for that. You deserved better.

One day, she pulled me aside, and I knew what was coming. She was going to tell me that she loved me. She was going to suggest that I break my loyalty to you, and I would finally be able to expose her--

But she didn’t. She told me that she knew my true feelings. She told me she knew that I loved you, not in the friendly way, but in a way that some people might think was weird. Because we were both boys. But she told me that she didn’t think I was weird. She just didn’t want me to feel hurt by her. She wanted to make sure that her relationship with you was okay by me, because you and I had been friends longer. 

I found myself suddenly unable to despise Lia, so I told her I was happy for you two.

That night, I sat underneath the oak tree and cried.

***

A few days after high school graduation, we were sitting beneath our tree. You seemed nervous, and you eventually told me that you and Lia finally did “it” the night before. I did not have to ask what “it” was. I loved Lia, I really did, but the feeling I got in my stomach when you told me about your exploits demanded action. I felt sick. I knew I couldn’t keep my feelings secret anymore, no matter how much it would hurt Lia.

So I told you. I let you know how I really felt about you. I let you know that you were so much more than just a friend to me, even if it was our friendship that would always come first. I apologized. I told you that I wished I could let go of these feelings, but they were so pure and true that they could not be silenced. 

You were silent for a long time. Finally, you stood. You said that you didn’t support my lifestyle. You said you couldn’t believe I had been using you for all these years. You said we couldn’t be friends anymore. You left me.

Lia broke up with you the next day. She found me by the pond, and we sat together and cried.

***

You became a writer. You wrote about dragons and prophecies and magic.

In your books, your main characters were clever and always knew how to get out of traps. They would go out and save the day, and they would always end up with the girl. They did not have sidekicks.

I read each of your books as they came out. If I tried to talk about them in public, I would get uncomprehending looks. Nobody knew who you were. Your fandom did not span beyond the earth; your fandom did not even span across a continent. No aliens came to read your books anyway.

I liked to think that if they did, they would have liked them.

You moved to England a few months after publishing. You claimed it was to celebrate being one step closer to becoming the next J.K. Rowling.

We both knew you were running from the past.

***

You and Lia never spoke again. She invited you to her wedding a couple decades back, but you never even sent an apology for being unable to attend. She and her husband didn’t want kids of their own, but they’ve been fostering children since before their wedding.

One little foster child was the flower girl at their wedding. Twenty years later, Lia’s husband walked her down the aisle to her soon-to-be wife.

***

You and I never spoke again, either. For years, I tried. I texted you, I called you, I even sent you letters. I told you that I had changed, I didn’t love you in that way anymore, we could go back to being regular friends.

You never responded. You probably blocked me the very night I came out to you. 

Eventually, the hot pain in my chest faded to a dull throb. I would feel it when I was thinking about you, but sometimes I would feel it for no reason. I would hope that in those moments, you were thinking of me, wherever you were. 

One day, I met a man. He was sweet, he was handsome, he was funny. He took my mind off of you. He felt the same way for me as I did for him, and just a couple years later I proposed.

I sent you an invitation to the wedding, but you didn’t respond.

I didn’t expect you to.

***

I leave my house and take the path to the oak tree. I haven’t been here since the day I came out to you, but I can still get to our tree blindfolded. It trembles as the chainsaws bite into it.

 I’m gazing up at the charred branches when Lia approaches.

“Hey,” she yells over the sound of the chainsaws. “What are you doing here?”

Her dog is with her.

“Looking at the tree,” I reply.

“Yeah, I could tell. Freak storm, huh?”

I nod. We stand in silence for a while. 

“You been standing here all morning?”

I nod.

More silence. 

“What’s up? You look lost in the past.”

Silence.

“What’s so important about this tree?”

With a whir of machinery, the tree comes crashing down, and a weight is lifted from my chest.

Finally, I look at her. Her eyes are the same green as the park’s lake.

“Nothing, Lia. Nothing at all.”

October 14, 2019 19:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

77 comments

Isla Vance
01:41 Jan 28, 2020

The style of this, the way it grabs you. I love it. It makes you feel all the feels. Thank you for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Christian Monee
21:17 Jan 10, 2020

Brought me to tears. It was so beautifully put, thank you for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brenda Fluharty
09:21 Jan 06, 2020

What a great story and one that most people can relate to. Congregations on winning. After reading your story I can see why.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paige Turner
19:34 Dec 29, 2019

Wow... I’m speechless! That was beautiful and the simplicity of the story complemented it so well! I love POV used and overall the story was so enjoyable and sweet!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Paris
22:28 Dec 24, 2019

Oh my goodness! You are an inherently talented writer. It's so refreshing to find an amazing story on here. 'Am looking forward to reading more from you, and I hope that you're pursuing writing full-time. Really, really nice job.

Reply

Lee Witkowski
20:22 Jan 14, 2020

Thanks so much Sarah! I've been pretty inactive recently but I'm planning on getting back into this competition, so you'll be able to read more from me soon. And you bet I'm trying my best to pursue a career in writing. What a dream!

Reply

Sarah Paris
23:28 Jan 14, 2020

What a dream indeed! May we both realize its fruition😊. And, I don't hand out praise lightly--I mean it, I think that you have true talent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Selena Selena
12:46 Dec 24, 2019

That is so sweet and sad at the same time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
DEVIKA P
20:59 Dec 18, 2019

I loved this story it made me smile and a realistic part of a lifestyle for anyone. You wrote from the heart and with a great message to all with a great meaning too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arielle - Reedsy
22:15 Dec 13, 2019

Some stories are simply effortless to read, but no less impactful for the ease with which the words flow. And "The Tree" is one of those stories! Thanks again Sydney for this truly great submission!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grey Vickers
01:42 Nov 22, 2019

I have nothing to say other than I'm crying really hard right now thank you for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rachel Frankki
06:35 Nov 20, 2019

This story was so, so beautiful and nostalgic. I absolutely loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mike Davies
17:05 Nov 15, 2019

What a fabulous story, so multi-faceted. A very worthy winner, it makes me realise that I have farther to go in my journey than I thought. I write Horror/supernatural, often with a small pinch of realism. Your story flowed superbly, I took a lot away from this. Good job.

Reply

Lee Witkowski
18:04 Nov 20, 2019

Thanks! To be fair, though, we all have a long way to go as writers. I am always thinking to myself how much I have left to learn, and so much of that learning comes from reading other people's stories! Also, as writers we tend to be blind to our own writing. It's often a lot better than we think! You will always be your own worst critic. Keep writing! Horror is definitely not my strong point, but I do love the supernatural. Fantasy is where it's at for me, though, as I guess you can tell from this story, I will occasionally divert. Thanks ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gabriela Tajzler
12:21 Nov 07, 2019

One of my favorite winning prompts that I've read!

Reply

Lee Witkowski
02:41 Nov 15, 2019

Wow, thanks! I'm glad I could write something you liked so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ellysia Mason
20:13 Nov 03, 2019

Wow, I loved it but I'm speechless. 10/10

Reply

Selena Selena
12:49 Dec 24, 2019

Yeah, 10\10.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debra Caples
16:30 Nov 01, 2019

Allegorical, tree as constance and acceptance. Lightning divides us, time cuts us down and we come to accept the pieces of ourselves.

Reply

Lee Witkowski
02:40 Nov 15, 2019

Wow, beautiful interpretation! Thanks for commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Selena Selena
12:49 Dec 24, 2019

That's as poetic and deep as the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Terry R Barca
02:13 Nov 01, 2019

Being new here, I wondered what a winning story was like, so I read yours. This story is very good. I love your style and I wanted to keep reading (this rarely happens). Well done. Well deserved. Terry

Reply

Lee Witkowski
02:39 Nov 15, 2019

Thanks Terry! I'm glad to know I do a good job catching the reader's attention. Your review means a lot to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Dillenbeck
07:08 Nov 23, 2019

Same!! I just joined the group literally moments ago. I, too, wanted to see what a winning story was like, and what to expect in competition. This was a beautiful story; I enjoyed every last word.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jane Napoli
14:13 Oct 31, 2019

i loved it. it was simple yet deep. the emotion behind it was beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoife Martin
06:17 Oct 30, 2019

That was a magnificent story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kerry Willie
03:54 Oct 29, 2019

Fantastic! Kept me engaged the whole time and made me tear up. Beautiful story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pamela Raymond
01:56 Oct 27, 2019

Immersive and compelling. It painted a subtle yet impactful picture for the reader. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dennis Thornton
01:53 Oct 26, 2019

very good story, like how the tree played a part in his life. made me choke up at some points.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.