2 comments

Fantasy

I was walking home from work, my mind wandering. What would happen if I could re-live my memories? Which one would I re-live? All my memories are bad, seeing my past, living in a poor household. 

I never had much growing up. My dad left us when I was 7 years old. I don't remember much about that day, only that he left because of me.

Flashback

It was mid-winter, the town covered in shimmering white snow. The only sound was the thumping of hearts. All was quiet outside, but inside was a different story.

“ All you care about is your daughter! You never give one thought to our son!” father yelled at mom.

“ How dare you!” she screamed back, “I would kill for that boy! Have you not seen how much love I give him?”

End of flashback

That was the last time I saw my father. But, if I could go back, I might know what I did wrong! That’s it!

I fun into my house and into my room. I dig under my bed and pull out the memory box that I made for 3rd grade. I open it and pull out the picture of me, my mom, my dad, and joey, my little brother. This was my 16th birthday or my “sweet 16” as some people would call it. I hade a pair of keys in my hand, and a phone in my other. My dad had a beer ( he got drunk a lot) and was looking like he would rather watch paint dry. My mom was the happiest mom in the world that day. Joey looked worried but was trying to hide it. And- wait what? Why was joey worried? I looked in the box and pulled a picture of joey out of it. Again, he looks worried. Hmm. that’s odd. Joey never worries about anything. Ever.

I take out my old camera and skim past tons of videos that I took until I landed on one of my 16th birthday.

Video

I am running after joey, who took my keys. 

“ Joey! Give me my keys!” I yell, “ give me them or I’ll tell mom!!”

“Never! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!” he laughed at me. I growled and ran faster, and faster until I ran right into my dad.

“Oof!” I grunted, “ sorry dad,”

“ WATCH WERE YOU’RE GOING YOU LITTLE BRAT!” he yelled at me. I pointed the camera at myself and ended the video.

End of video.

I sigh and put the camera back in the box. But as I am closing the lid, the sun catches on something, making it shine in my eyes. I pick it up and find it’s my old locket! It was shaped like a heart and was a pink-ish-blue-ish purple. Inside the locket was a stone that my grandmother had given me when she died.

“ With this, you may re-live any memory you want at will,” she told me.

Any memory? I closed my eyes and tried to remember the day my dad left. I felt a tingle in my spine spread down to my toes. I opened my eyes and saw I was back in my old house, my younger self sitting on the floor playing with my legos. 

I must be invisible, I thought to myself. Joey was playing Minecraft on his computer at the table. my dad was upstairs, so I decided to go up as well. My feet were not on the ground, instead, they were at least 3 inches off it. 

In my old room, my mom was sitting on the bed, looking at pictures of me winning the annual track race, when my dad came in.

“ oh, hey hun!” my mom said, “I was just looking at these pictures of Brooke winning the track race!” 

“ what about joey? He was in the race too,” my dad demanded, “ are there any pictures of him in your little pile there?”

“ what do you mean? Of cour-” my mom started to say before my dad cut her off.

“ what do I mean? What do I mean?” my dad growled, “I mean, our son was in that race! And you did not take pictures of him too? Are you kidding me?” he was yelling now.

I left the memory before I cry. It was not me after all! It was my dad’s fault he cut mom off before she could explain! I don't want to be like my dad after all!

I put the box back under my bed and turned on the radio. My favorite song was on. It was speechless. Ever since I watched the movie aladen, I have been hooked on that song. I sang along to the lyrics.

All I know is I won’t go speechless. Speechless!

Written in stone

Every rule every word

Centuries-old and unbending

“Stay in your place”

“Better seen then be heard”

But I know that story’s ending

Try to lock me in this cage

But I won’t lay me down and die!

Then the radio got all static-y and glitchy, so I changed the chanal and will end this story with this song:

It's alright, get ready for the night

Of your life

Stars will shine so bright

They say we're dancin' the stress away

Hey Hey

This beat gets underneath your feet

Right now

Together we will meet

This place will blow your mind away

Hey Hey

Welcome to the club now!

Gonna pump it up now!

This is an emergency!

Music is my galaxy!

Welcome to the club now! Everybody up now!

We've got it goin' on!

Till the break of dawn!

Welcome to the club now!

Gonna pump it up now!

This is an emergency!

Music is my galaxy!

Welcome to the club now!

Everybody's up now!

We've got it goin' on!

Till the break of dawn!

So put the record on, on, on, on, on!

O-O-O-O-On!

So put the record on!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

P-P-P-Put the record o-o-o-o-on!

To the club now!

Right now, we're standin' here in line

Open up the door Mr. Frankenstein

Cuz we're here to dance the night away

Hey Hey

Welcome to the club now!

Gonna pump it up now!

This is an emergency!

Music is my galaxy!

Welcome to the club now! Everybody up now!

We've got it goin' on!

Till the break of dawn!

Welcome to the club now!

Gonna pump it up now!

This is an emergency!

Music is my galaxy!

Welcome to the club now!

Everybody's up now!

We've got it goin' on!

Till the break of dawn!

So put the record on, on, on, on, on!

O-O-O-O-On!

So put the record on!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

Operator!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

To the club now!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

JUMP!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

To the club now!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

O-O-O-O-On!

Welcome to the club now!

Gonna pump it up now!

This is an emergency!

Music is my galaxy!

Welcome to the club now!

Everybody's up now!

We've got it goin' on!

Till the break of dawn!

So put the record on!



March 10, 2020 19:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Laura Austin
15:30 Mar 19, 2020

May want to go back and edit for spelling and capitalization. The song part is too long, should be shortened and I didn't think it was a strong ending for the story. Basic idea was good. Just needed clearer detail and more meat to the story.

Reply

Brooke Thayer
18:03 Mar 19, 2020

I'm not very good with strong endings, but I'll try to fix it. thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.