36 comments

Funny Fiction

Dear John,


Can you believe it has been ten years already since you're gone? I'll stop by the cemetery later today and leave this letter and some flowers. Though maybe you'd rather have a beer, wouldn't you? Read it when you have some time.

Well, that's silly. You have nothing but time, now. I bet the sun feels nice on your headstone. You can sit up when you read it. 'Cause it's kind-a had to read it in the dark, ain't it?


I gues, I'm babbling again. I know you always said you hated it when I babble. You'd shake your head and grunt and then roll your eyes and change the channel. But I think it was just as comforting to you to listen to my babbling as it was for me to babble at you.


Oh yeah, I know when you were upset, 'cause you really don't have a poker face. I could always tell when you'd been out with Tim and Larry. 'Only had a few' you'd say and fall asleep on the sofa and snore till the windows rattled. And I bet you 'only lost a few' dollars when you played cards with those two. But maybe your face doesn't show as much anymore, now, right? Did you know that little Johnny, whose now fifteen and not so little anymore, could always tell when you were bluffing? He let you win, now and then.


Johnny is so smart. He won a ribbon at the science fair. I'm not sure what he made. Something for the 'puter. He said it would make 'puters run better. The governor was right impressed, though. Now there's a man who has a poker face, or should I saw many poker faces, or poker masks? July at the checkout thinks he has a thing going with his assistant. And yes, I know his assistant is a guy. That's okay now, so don't go yelling at me. No, it's not okay for him to cheat on his wife. That's never okay, you hear? But I guess she gets her jollies from being the first state lady, or however you say that.


Though lord almighty, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. Always having to sit up nice and smile. I wonder does she kick off her shoes and slip out of her bra the moment she comes home. Nah, I guess, she has too many servants around to go walking around all jiggly-like. Not that I feel sorry for her. I hear she's a real righteous bitch. No, that's unkind. I don't know her. So, scratch that.

Though she's young enough, those girls are probably still sitting where they're supposed to be, so I guess, she can walk around without her bra. Lucky her. Maybe she had surgery. You see, John, if you hadn't gambled away your money, my girls could be sitting where the Good Lord put them, or close there, at least, instead of way down south in Dixie.


Hah! You see that? I made a joke.


Mary from down the street kicked Billy out. Boy that was a ruckus! His clothes were all over the yard, his undies in the rose bushes. That must have stung. He was screaming and banging on the door. Mrs. Reynolds, from across the street called the cops. Your friend Larry and his pardner showed up. They just stood there, leaning against their car and laughing. Didn't help him pack or anything. They did give him a ride to his mother's, though, since Mary wouldn't give him the car keys.

Sometimes I think I should-a thrown your stuff out the window. What in God's green acres did you see in her? I know what she saw in you. 'Cause you're a good guy. But darn it! You're my good guy. She had no right to poach. My momma always said that there is no 'counting for taste. Maybe she meant me, I wonder. You never did like my momma, did you. 'Cause we always had your mammy and daddy over for the holidays. Well, that has changed. You know that, right?


Hah, I remember when the plant went over to direct deposit. I had Betty call me the moment the checks cleared. You never did figure out that you made $100 more every two weeks, did you Well, I had to buy food with something. And I used some of that money to buy life insurance on you. Yes, ten thousand dollars. Of course, by the time I paid fees and the funeral there was only two thousand left. Got the car fixed and have a few dollars left over.


But you were a good husband, most of the time. You always paid the rent and power on time. In all these years I've never gotten one overdue bill. Well, except for the bar bill for the night you died. How much did you drink? How many rounds did you buy? What was so great that you had to celebrate? Never mind, I saw your Lucy the other day. She had her son with her. He's ten years old. He has your sandy colored hair and dimples. Her husband must be very tolerant, don't you think? I'm not sure if I could be that Christian.


But you always wanted a son. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you that. That all I could give you was a daughter. A little girl who played every ball sport she could find. And was thrilled the few times you decided to go see her play. I know you were too embarrassed to play tea party in the back yard. Lord forbid, anyone saw you sit at a tiny table with Mr. Bear and drink pretend tea out of teensy cups.

She still thinks you hung the moon, though. But then I never told her any different. Maybe I should have. Maybe then she wouldn't be divorced now and live back at home. Oh, didn't I tell you? Yes, Mr. High and Mighty Bank muckity-muck decided to trade your little girl in for a double-D.


Not that I mind having her and Johnny here. She's good company and pays part of the bills. Yes, she's working again. At another bank, Hah! And now I get to see Johnny every day. I'm just glad I don't have help him with his homework. I don't want to tell him I had to drop out when I was just about as old as he is now.


Of course, that was our first miscarriage, wasn't it? Almost carried that one full term. Three more miscarriages after that. But we had fun trying, didn't we? And then finally my little girl. Oh boy, she would kill me if she knew I called her my little girl. She's almost six feet, now. But way too skinny. She won't listen to me, so, you talk to her next time you see her, okay?


Eva at the beauty shop says we're gonna have a bad winter. I don't know what a goods winter look like. Do you know? Walking to the bus stop and waiting in the cold wind is not nice. I like spring a lot better. And how can they say that a whole winter will be bad. Steve on TV is often wrong about tomorrow's weather. Oh, why do I take the bus? Well Susan needs to take Johnny to school and then go to downtown for her job. She says they are too dirty. The buses, not Susan and Johnny, of course. But I guess it's okay for me to get dirty.


They put me on second shift at the plant. And when we have to work a little extra, I sometimes miss the last bus. Milton says he doesn't mind giving me a ride home. He also says he wouldn't mind picking me up. I may take him up on that, even though the heater in his truck doesn't work.


I do miss you, you know? You were like a pair of slippers that I had just worn in. We fit, didn't we? And you didn't mind warming my toes. I have to wear socks to bed now.


I was cleaning Susan's room, the other day and found this book. It was all about buying no, owning something. I asked her about it. Well, you wouldn't believe what she told me. It would have embarrassed you to no end, I'm sure. It embarrassed me too. But Susan talked about it as if it was lima beans. And you know how I like lima beans. And then she showed me how to go to amazon. No, not the river. It's a thing in the 'puter. John, you can buy everything there, and I mean everything.


Oh, the mail just came. The thing I bought at that amazon place? It came. Oh, baby! It's the cutest thing. It looks like a little pink rabbit sitting on a ... well ... a you know what. It has batteries and everything. So, maybe I'll drop this letter of tomorrow or so.


I'll tell you all about it next time, John. Bye now.

Sarah.

February 11, 2024 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
11:13 Feb 27, 2024

Very nice. The best way to keep yourself together after losing someone you love. I like the way she writes about family and life. Her words have no bittererence, just enough emotions to make it familiar to those who read the story. In some sentences, it reminded me of myself and my way of thinking. Really enjoyed.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:28 Feb 27, 2024

Thank you, Davico. I'm glad you enjoyed Sarah's "babbling." Thanks for reading my story/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
22:38 Feb 24, 2024

Trudy: you nailed it. The only thing is instead of a letter, she could be sitting at his grave talking to him? That's what I pictured, I missed the letter part, my bad. This is exactly the tone in which a person would talk to a loved one who has passed. It was very clear that John had an affair and a son but that she forgave him even though she remains a little angry with him. I would like to see more of this: this could be a novel. Perhaps the daughter has a few things to say to her father? Lovely, poignant and I could picture this as a...

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:53 Feb 24, 2024

Thank you, LJ. Wonderful words of praise. A novel or movie might be a bit ambitious, besides aren't there enough soaps in the world? :-) And of course, if she was sitting graveside, she would have missed the delivery of her little present, right? ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neil Dabb
22:58 Feb 21, 2024

Great slice of life piece, with plenty of innuendo. The only question I might raise was is this the first time she's written in ten years? Otherwise, well done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:22 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you, Neil. Hard to tell, whether this is the first time, she admits to babbling, a lot. :-) Thanks for you comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greg Flury
03:40 Feb 20, 2024

Very melancholy writing. It's sad... and funny... how the things we remember about those who have passed are sometimes the things that annoyed us the most about them when they were alive.

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:27 Feb 20, 2024

True. The question then is, which is stronger? Affection or annoyance? Or do we enjoy being annoyed? :-) Oh dear, don't get me started. It's after mo=udnight, way to late for philosophy. Thanks for your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ali .
20:26 Feb 19, 2024

Really loved the humor at the end there. That was a fun paragraph. You did such a good job making me, the reader, feel like I was sitting at a table looking at a blank sheet of paper writing this. I used to write similar letters to an ex husband who was in bootcamp at the time and the subject changes and type of things you were writing about are so reminiscent of that time in my life. Kudos, Trudy. Really enjoyed reading this!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:04 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you, Ali. It's true, we just tend to write what we're thinking. Put pen between teeth, "let's see, what else happened, and oh yeah ..." Thank's for your comments

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:08 Feb 19, 2024

This was really beautiful, Trudy. The combination of humour and sadness really work well together. The juxtaposition makes each emotion hit that much harder. You've pulled off a brilliant balancing act with this one. Fantastic writing!

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:09 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you, Joshua. I'm so glad you like it. Really appreciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
17:50 Feb 17, 2024

This is amazing Trudy. So many stories within this story and obviously so much love and sadness along the way. I love the line about babbling. I do that at home, My husband is always saying ‘what are you mumbling about now?’. 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:18 Feb 17, 2024

Thanks. She's "everywoman" to some extent. Though I'd like to think, we'd give our guys a harder time. make them sit up bit more. LOL

Reply

Rebecca Detti
19:25 Feb 17, 2024

I know she’s very easygoing! I need to take a tip! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:38 Feb 16, 2024

It's amazing how much of a person's character can come through in a letter. You did a good job making all these people seem real.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:01 Feb 16, 2024

Thank you, Kailani. I'm so glad they "spoke "to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
03:33 Feb 16, 2024

You get use to having that special someone to share those intricate details of life with. When they are gone, whether through death, divorce, or some other reason, it's almost what you miss most about that person. Those people we truly love and trust to open ourselves up to in that way. I think you captured the prompt in a unique way. Great job Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:08 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks, Ty. That was pretty much what I wanted to convey. To her, good or bad, he's still the one she fell for when she was fifteen, or so. Thanks for reading my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
16:12 Feb 15, 2024

It's amazing how time can go on and yet, we still find ourselves with the urge of wanting to share the daily parts of our lives with those certain someone's. Yes, I do believe that's a depiction of love with out the word. Thank you for the story, Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen Hope
13:41 Feb 15, 2024

Sarah sure has a lot on her mind! Her thoughts flow, and a story unfolds that is vivid and gritty and real. I love how you craft a story - well done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:27 Feb 15, 2024

Thank you, Karen. So, glad you liked it. (If I may be cheeky, I've got two more this week,) ;-0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:59 Feb 15, 2024

You convey love so well in this story, Trudy. Also, a great backstory with all sorts of interesting tidbits. On a deeper level, the husband doesn’t sound too great a character, but when it comes to loving someone, logic doesn’t come into it. Hopefully she will learn to value herself more and have a bit of fun. A downtrodden character who’s been through a lot. You made her very real.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:23 Feb 15, 2024

Thank you, Helen. You're absolutely right. Love and logic make for strange bedfellows. And maybe Sarah will write another, real, Dear John letter. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
21:45 Feb 12, 2024

What some people will do for warm feet? 'You were like a pair of slippers that I had just worn in. We fit, didn't we? And you didn't mind warming my toes. I have to wear socks to bed now.' We all get stuck in a rut, with jobs, with where we live, and people too. Cant seem to get out, even if the ruts are leading in the wrong direction. Fingers crossed for Milton, but he needs to get that heater fixed!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:39 Feb 12, 2024

Oh, Marty! So true. But rest assured, Sarah has her rabbit in the meantime. Stay uned for Milton's advances. Thanks for reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:58 Feb 12, 2024

Think Sarah is better off without that gambling, drinking, cheating man. She'll do better with her present or maybe Milton.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:51 Feb 12, 2024

I agree. The rabbit will be faithful, at least. But there is no 'couting for taste. We'll have to tune is later and see how Milton does, won't we.? ;_)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
10:23 Feb 12, 2024

Gets you thinkin' this one. But it's the monologue, jumping around, I can see and feel this character. Great job.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:21 Feb 12, 2024

Thanks, John. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:51 Feb 12, 2024

Your story has a lot of depth, Trudy. Well done again!

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:19 Feb 12, 2024

Thank you, Melissa. Coronation Street in 1600 words? ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
04:48 Feb 12, 2024

Great story, Trudy! Quite a lot of story in a small space, all told through Sarah's internal monologue. What a great concept, having her update her dead family member on life through a stream-of-consciousness letter. So let's review. John, who was carrying on an affair with Lucy (possibly Mary too), and was generally unfaithful. He is dead. He had a drinking problem. Which was connected to his death. Lucy's boy is John's. Sarah's daughter Susan who is married to Johnny, Jr,, who is a scientist, lives with Sarah. Sarah works down at the plant...

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:18 Feb 12, 2024

Thank you, Jon. She does run on, doesn't she. Can't wait to hear how she likes her little present. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
01:21 Feb 12, 2024

What a delightful read ! So much characterisation in a few words. Great job !

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:34 Feb 12, 2024

Thank you, Stella. She just dictated it to me. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.